Censorship Petition

Comments

• Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    but really, when like ALL of the playerbase is white/chinese it'd be hypocritical to call each other cracker. and how many people call other people cracker nowadays anyway?

I don't know a single person in my faction who is Chinese. o_o Wait...maybe one. But there's a few Indians, Filipinos, Hispanics, African Americans, etc.

But I do agree - I have very, VERY rarely seen anyone call someone else a "Cracker", and even then, I think we were actually calling him the food-cracker...something about saltines...
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Abyzou - Raging Tide
    Abyzou - Raging Tide Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    but really, when like MOST* of the playerbase is white/chinese it'd be hypocritical to call each other cracker. and how many people call other people cracker nowadays anyway?

Honestly. Some of these insults are so ridiculously outdated. I doubt more than 30% of the playerbase uses any of these insults anymore.

Also, I corrected your ALL.
  • brazenbusboy
    brazenbusboy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Are all of you ****ing ****? How the hell is it that that Hitsug.aya is offensive? Or MyIdentity Or BeatMeUp Those are 3 friends that i cant message anymore in whisper because of this filter, where as other names such as FuqTheWorld or FookThisPoosy go unbanned or unfiltered?

Seriously, wake the **** up, open your god damn eyes, then pull your head out of your fat as.s. There's more to the issue than intentional profanity

Your lack of language skills places you in high probability of being censored and very low probability of making any points.

When you have calmed down from your little hissy-fit, try and compose something that communicates facts or information that supports your opinion.

Point by point: First paragraph - guess you missed it where several people pointed out, without using profanity, that filters are never perfect. Get over it. Your QQ tears for this are just so much water flowing into the Endless Sea.

Second paragraph - The mental picture you choose to draw for us, is described in such intimate detail that you have to be drawing from personal experience of a habitual posture.

Perhaps you missed the other posts that made it clear without using x-rated words that 'freedom of speech' is not on the table here.

If you can't play the game or post here without using profanity, I suggest that it is time for you to leave.

Me, I am looking forward to a game where people put more thought into their user names and communications.
    Just some guy
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Me, I am looking forward to a game where people put more thought into their user names and communications.
    Scuzeme, nuff said.

tell me what's wrong with saying "excuse me"
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Second paragraph - The mental picture you choose to draw for us, is described in such intimate detail that you have to be drawing from personal experience of a habitual posture.

Perhaps you missed the other posts that made it clear without using x-rated words that 'freedom of speech' is not on the table here.

If you can't play the game or post here without using profanity, I suggest that it is time for you to leave.

Why is it that the 3 names I mentioned are offensive, or not creative, whereas the other two are clearly offensive and barely creative at all? Hypocrite much? Scuzeme, JanusZeal, Gilthanus, Retityal, wallsdenyme, Angelsdie, Scrappers, how are any of those names offensive? How are those names profane? And not once did I mention anything involving freedom of speech in my response to you.

This is about fairness to people who have DONE NOTHING WRONG. What if I decided to begin linking "busboy" with something extremely crude so that it became offensive to many, your name would read >brazen******< and you would be unmessagable or uninvitable. Would you still think that your name is offensive? No, because it wasn't before hand, nor was it your intention at creating the name. Oh, not to mention you'd still have uncreative names such as IHasDagger, StealthSin, /V\ystic, /\$$/\$$in, Tiger_Roar, or SeekerSword, or the other useless **** of names you'll see.

Edit: the 30 of you who somehow SUPPORT this ridiculous thing, are either stupid, unaffected in any way shape or form, heartless/uncaring(take your pick) or soloists who play without talking to other people anyway, or some combination of those 4 choices.
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    a philosophical conundrum just occurred to me...

the current filter tries to screen out vulgarities in many different human languages, and dialect versions thereof, without of course having any knowledge of which language any given user is actually speaking. hence "Scuzeme" gets filtered.

(though i suspect i could cuss my head off in Finnish in-game and not have too much of it be trapped at all. oh well... anyone here speak Afrikaans? i hear it's got some amazing insults.)

the conundrum: can we know that any human language, much less all languages, have any usable subset of vocabulary not considered vulgar in either that or any other language?

the answer will be time-sensitive, of course. language usage shifts, and new vulgarities constantly arise. even if a perfect universally bowdlerized dictionary could be compiled, publishing it would be a sure guarantee every entry in it would be profaned within the month. hence PWE's ultimate end-game --- of going to a default-deny policy with a whitelist of allowed "nice" words --- is equally doomed to failure, as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    LadyTsuki - Harshlands Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Why is it that the 3 names I mentioned are offensive, or not creative, whereas the other two are clearly offensive and barely creative at all? Hypocrite much? Scuzeme, JanusZeal, Gilthanus, Retityal, wallsdenyme, Angelsdie, Scrappers, how are any of those names offensive? How are those names profane? And not once did I mention anything involving freedom of speech in my response to you.

This is about fairness to people who have DONE NOTHING WRONG. What if I decided to begin linking "busboy" with something extremely crude so that it became offensive to many, your name would read >brazen******< and you would be unmessagable or uninvitable. Would you still think that your name is offensive? No, because it wasn't before hand, nor was it your intention at creating the name. Oh, not to mention you'd still have uncreative names such as IHasDagger, StealthSin, /V\ystic, /\$$/\$$in, Tiger_Roar, or SeekerSword, or the other useless **** of names you'll see.

Edit: the 30 of you who somehow SUPPORT this ridiculous thing, are either stupid, unaffected in any way shape or form, heartless/uncaring(take your pick) or soloists who play without talking to other people anyway, or some combination of those 4 choices.
    Well with angelsdie it's offensive to people who are Christian and believe in angels which seems to be the majority of the population...or minority of a pvp population.
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

Died as a cleric, reincarnated into a mystic.
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well with angelsdie it's offensive to people who are Christian and believe in angels which seems to be the majority of the population...or minority of a pvp population.

the part in her name that gets filtered is the l.s.d. part so her name reads Ange***ie ingame.

Oh did you know you can't blacklist people with filtered names? The easier way of right-clicking their name is out because you can't right click it, you also can't manually enter their names, because you don't know what the parts that are filtered are. A friend of mine has been forced to take a break till this is fixed because an ex harasses her now with a name that appears as all *'s. She can't blacklist him in any way. So to avoid the harassment she doesn't play.
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    the part in her name that gets filtered is the l.s.d. part so her name reads Ange***ie ingame.

Oh I would've never caught the lsd in her name.
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

• NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    When like all? Ummm....you mean most. Not all -.-
    ...ALL of it? is this anything like how there really aren't any women on the internet?

Stopped quoting the replies after while. o_o
    This is where I get to blame my mind again, because I tend to generalize things. "White" people to me are any people that skin colour isn't "african american". I really don't know why I put chinese people into the mix, I think i was thinking of PWCN. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • gangrel888
    gangrel888 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2011
  • Kittsuko - Sanctuary
    Kittsuko - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Yes please. Revert the filter or give players a choice to turn it the **** off (:P).

If the game is trying to filter out profanities from as many language as possible I'm afraid soon our typical conversation in game would be something like this:

"** I was just ***** you know *** BH39 *** *****"

"Say what?"
  • morrinarian
    morrinarian Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Are all of you ****ing ****? How the hell is it that that Hitsug.aya is offensive? Or MyIdentity Or BeatMeUp Those are 3 friends that i cant message anymore in whisper because of this filter, where as other names such as FuqTheWorld or FookThisPoosy go unbanned or unfiltered?

Seriously, wake the **** up, open your god damn eyes, then pull your head out of your fat as.s. There's more to the issue than intentional profanity

Aww. You just made yourself look pretty stupid, how sad. b:chuckle

But, overlooking your obvious nerdrage and QQ hernia, I don't recall having ever said that that the system was perfect. In fact I stated that it was flawed but I was glad they were working on it. So maybe next time before you throw a tantrum on the forums, completely proving the point of why we need the censors in the first place, you should take a moment to calm down and pull your big kid pants on rather than hurting your own cause.

I do think that if they're going to keep the censor system as it is then a -human- staff member needs to go through every name before it's banned, so they can see with their own logic whether or not it's actually a bannable name. Of course this would require more work on the park of the staff so I doubt something like that will ever be done. Most likely it will be like everything else PW does that messes something up royally where they slowly make things a little more bearable until it's never really entirely fixed, but we've all gotten used to it being messed up by then.
  • speedysinx
    speedysinx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Larkray i vote yes cause i cant even say the word Japanese anymore in chat screens its all *'d out i mean if i cant say what nationalities i am whats the point? i like conversing with peeps in the server and like your HA veno like to see you hit 3.33 aps in fox form i know take an age and tons and tons of coins to get there but its nice to see one now lets all be adults and kick the children off the game if you cannot prove your age you should be censored from anything suggestive or offensive but us 18+ should not be unable to talk to eachother and end up with 30 * instead of letting out our pent up aggression or when typing the word Japan in world chat or the screen it gets censored what the heck for i mean seriously next we gonna see america censored or Mexico be censored where will it end if it wont let us even say the name of a language or a country?
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    My friend, Soranus, got censored too b:sadb:shutupb:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    edited June 2011
    Aww. You just made yourself look pretty stupid, how sad. b:chuckle

But, overlooking your obvious nerdrage and QQ hernia, I don't recall having ever said that that the system was perfect. In fact I stated that it was flawed but I was glad they were working on it. So maybe next time before you throw a tantrum on the forums, completely proving the point of why we need the censors in the first place, you should take a moment to calm down and pull your big kid pants on rather than hurting your own cause.

I do think that if they're going to keep the censor system as it is then a -human- staff member needs to go through every name before it's banned, so they can see with their own logic whether or not it's actually a bannable name. Of course this would require more work on the park of the staff so I doubt something like that will ever be done. Most likely it will be like everything else PW does that messes something up royally where they slowly make things a little more bearable until it's never really entirely fixed, but we've all gotten used to it being messed up by then.
    So by your logic, Japanese should be censored cause it's profane? Really?

• Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    *points to sig* (free for the taking btw until they fix this)

I also wanted to say that those 30 who said no (other than those who gave a decent reason for their stance) are probably prudes who get grossed out looking at their own privates.

And to the other snarky nutjob who wanted to call Larkray out: ***** ***** ****** you. That is all.

Those are just *'s, I did not swear at all in this post.
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well I'm sure the FCC and whatever federal agency handles video games does require there to be a filter of some sort for those younger than the law of majority. In America, it is the company's job to babysit the young and impressionable because we know just how incompetent their parents are. Majority of people in America are these overly sensitive twits that take the fun out of everything. Which is why the filter should be an option. If you don't like censors then you have the option to turn them off. If you don't like people talking about sex all the time or racial slurs being used, what have you then you have the option to turn it on.

The FCC only has authority governing over air signals (TV and Terrestrial Radio). Online interactions not so much. Developers are responsible for what they deem what is and is not desirable online.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    So by your logic, Japanese should be censored cause it's profane? Really?

...How you got that out of anything I said is completely beyond me. I never said anything about any name or language being profane. Maybe you should actually read my post?
  • nothingtosaynow
    nothingtosaynow Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I read in here... the Name Angelsdie make religion ppl feeling bad of it? Well then they should quit the game... The thing is, its true its not the name that got cencored by that reason, but if this filter would keep and it wont... Frankier already said it will change, the thing is just when..., but maybe this kind of useless filter would be the next lol...

If religion ppl feeling bad in any way cause of that name they should quit cause this game is not made for sensitive religion eyes. Why? There so much things in the game that called by a name that wont look nice for that ppl. Some of it are cencored at the moment, but there still some NPC's that tell storys about demons and some other things, there monsters with name that will hurt that ppl, the first mystic summon is called Devil Chihyu and so much ppl called themselv by a demon name or called Demon, Satannia, Satan and so on and so on. Its normal that ppl call themselv in that way in all games. And well why not? All that games are a kind of Fantasie-Games and in a Fantasie-World may be Dragons, Elves, Demons, Angels and all that stuff, so its just normal that ppl choose names like that here and there... And the game is a fight the whole time, fight for lvl, for coins, fight against mobs, ppl, there wars lol no religion say thats good things, all that will hurt them.

If religion ppl want to play they HAVE TO ACCEPT that things like that included ppl names are there.

And there is a question. If religion ppl feel bad cause of that, do they think just one time what non-religion ppl think about them, feel about them? No religion ppl dont care what a non-religion think. They do bible-rounds and wc it, they make catshops and title them "jesus loves u". They dont care about non-religion in a more bad way as just take a ppl name for their toons they like, they try to get over ppl to make them religion or believe in god. So far that keep i wont care what religion ppl think or feel. Im not that hard non-religion, cause maybe maybe there is a god anywhere, but when i play a game i wont have that anybody try to make me more believe in god. If that will any time happend i will accept that ppl, so far they accept each other as just be players together in a game. Its all time ok for me if anybody believe in anything, im tolerant, i can accept the most things also i can accept bad words, but respect and accept each others opinion is an important thing for me. That include to dont insult and see in every chat badwords but it include also to call ur toons like u want. Not accepted is racist names or something like that, names that go rlly offensive against another group in not a fantasie meaning. Angelsdie, Demon and so on are just fantasie, names like hitler are an offensive racist name and should get banned faster than its written down.

The thing is allways if one person start a thing like insult another... the other and maybe more will be with him and start to go against it. So if religion ppl start to make their bible wc's or something they may get an answer of it that is not that nice in their eyes. So best would be just let these things out of the game... just play the game and talk about the game and if u want talk about more as just the game then make small talk and dont choose themes that seems made to get answers from the other side ppl's or if u do then u have just to accept it. Thats the world and if ppl arent able to accept each others and their opinions in a game how should it work in rl anytime in future? Some would say it will never work, maybe, but i think we should all do our best. Cause u dont need to be religion or something like an Angel to know that our human story tell us wars in rl arent good, there still too much wars in the rl world, we should learn to accept each others opinion. When a war should happen then just in a game as fantasie, nothing more.
  • NiightmareXz - Harshlands
    NiightmareXz - Harshlands Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    stuff

Lol that girl was just pulling at straws. the reason why angelsdie's name was censored is because of the LSD part of it, which is a drug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ˙buoɹʇs ǝq ןן,ı ʇɐɥʇ ɟןǝsʎɯ ןןǝʇ ı os
  • nothingtosaynow
    nothingtosaynow Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    wrong, read the first part in my post, i know thats not the reason... i made my post a bit of another reason in this way and it still include the filter thingy
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well thing is if these players had not violated TOS to begin with there would not be a issue. An quiet frankly they should be glad they were not banned long ago. See sections below.

5. Account

"PWE will not tolerate offensive or obscene User IDs. If a User ID violates any part of these terms, we may immediately, temporarily, or permanently ban such a User ID, with or without notice."

The Service may include discussion forums, chat rooms, user feedback, messaging features, comments and other interactive areas or services
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Well thing is if these players had not violated TOS to begin with there would not be a issue. See sections below.

5. Account

"PWE will not tolerate offensive or obscene User IDs. If a User ID violates any part of these terms, we may immediately, temporarily, or permanently ban such a User ID, with or without notice."

10. User Content

The Service may include discussion forums, chat rooms, user feedback, messaging features, comments and other interactive areas or services (

You obviously have not read much about this issue or poked your head out into PWI to see just what kind of names have been getting censored.
    edited June 2011
    Obviously. Ever stop to think that the **** on here is what cause such strong filters? Nice to see them finally doing something about it.
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Obviously. Ever stop to think that the **** on here is what cause such strong filters? Nice to see them finally doing something about it.

lol that's like saying "at least they are doing something about it" while sighing happily if animal shelters decided to round up and euthanize all the cats and dogs they could find because of the pet overpopulation problem.

There are proper ways to deal with this issue. You will find moderators and Gms monitoring world chat even in private servers. This is what I consider a proper way to deal with this. This censorship is lazy, ridiculous, and unnecessary.

And since you don't seem to know, here are the nature of the names being censored:

Angelsdie(because it has L.S.D in it)

Scuzeme (has cuze in it)

Hitsugaya (has *** in it)

Neither of these people made an obscene name intentionally, their names can not even be called obscene, no matter how you look at it. These names just happen to have the banned combinations of letters in them and for this, they can not receive PM's, squad invites by any mean but T filter, nor can they be blacklisted.
  • morrinarian
    morrinarian Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011

Please leave, you obviously didn't read the thread. Your points are moot. You're embarassing yourself. Honestly.
    Is identity an obscene word? Is treatment an obscene word?
    There are a lot of players with innocent names that have been censored, when it's completely obvious that they shouldn't have been.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited June 2011

Way to go supporting the censoring of words like quantity? You are saying you actually are glad that Nirvana boss cannot say "defeat me"?

Your ignorance is amazing.
    edited June 2011
    Laughs at your comment of please leave when you your self are making a point of not censoring others. Its so sad honestly.

Pwi has every right to censor anything in a attempt to clean up the trash on its servers. Sorry you are so mad about that.