Censorship Petition

Options

Comments

• chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Give us an option to turn the chat filter off. Some of us can handle some "harsh or offensive" chatter.

I think the problem isn't with people seeing these words, but people using them to begin with though.
  • Sabella - Harshlands
    Sabella - Harshlands Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think the problem isn't with people seeing these words, but people using them to begin with though.

I understand that, but not everyone talks like some sort of English scholar. 1/4 of your player base probably isn't even from an english speaking country, and now basic abbreviations, and half the words are censored. The fact that people cuss (some more than others) isn't the problem here., if you were to spell Japan it looks like this ***an. I understand that children play this game. Please allow those of us whom can handle a cuss word or 2 the ability to see it if we choose to do so.
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm sorry, but with this new censor thing, I feel like I'm being treated like a kid. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to be this restricted to what I can and cannot say, I will take me and my money elsewhere. After all, it is stated in the ToS that this game was designed for an audience of 18+ to begin with. There are features that would make to where people would not see "offensive" language, and those features should be utilized. Everyone else should not have to pay the price because a few individuals decided to take things a bit too serious.

And to whoever it was that said something about younger people playing this game:

The game was designed for an audience of 18+, so shame on the parents of whoever that is for allowing them to do so in the first place. I wouldn't be caught dead, or alive, allowing my daughter to play this game simply because of the language that I have seen.

But being allowed to choose whether or not to have the filter one is a wonderful idea, +1 to that.
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • chaoticshelly
    edited June 2011
    Options
    1/4 of your player base...

I don't run the game, or the forums, just moderate them. I'm a player like yourself. b:thanks

Regardless, I think the filter needs to be there, but the fact it effect player names (especially those that don't even contain cuss words) needs to change.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ...i truly don't mean this as an insult, but you're describing a seriously messed up upbringing. seriously, i'm alarmed at this.

My upbringing was fine. I was raised in a very healthy home with parents who loved me and supported me in the things that I did.

sixth graders do not need to be grossed out to the point of fainting; if they are, that should not count as "education", that's indoctrination or something worse; and if THAT is acceptable fare when delivered by an adult authority figure such as a teacher, then there is NOTHING in a video game's world chat that could be called inappropriate without the most blatant hypocrisy.

This was one class period one day in my entire life, once incident from a teacher doesn't equal a bad upbringing you know. It was pictures pulled from medical textbooks and such like that. So it was actual pictures of various diseases. It was used as a way to teach people about sexually transmitted diseases. There are a lot of minorities at the school and still are. DId you know that African Americans account for half of all aids cases in the United States despite being only 10% of the population? So yeah, this school was trying to encourage kids to be safe by showing us the horrors of STDs. IT wasn't meant to scare us and we were shown how to put on condoms and how to be safe about sex. It wasn't an abstinence only sex ed program, it was a be safe. Do not play around, they also gave us statistics that let us see how greatly reduced our odds of gettings STDs were and the importance of regular checkups. The kids that fainted? There was only two kids and they are both doing fine. One is married with a baby one the way. They are happy, well adjusted adults.

although, if that's the standard for education here in these united states (i wouldn't know, i
    immigrated as an adult) then i guess that WOULD explain quite a lot actually...

sex ed for me, in europe, consisted of "this is what prophylactics look like, and these drawn posters explain how to use them. any questions?" it was assumed we all already knew why one might want to use such, and indeed we did. (ideally we would have had that explained too, earlier on, so we wouldn't have had to learn about it through schoolyard gossip. more of those semi-abstract drawn posters could've done the job admirably. though now i think about it, the dairy farm kids probably had the best reproductive biology lessons of us all from watching some calvings...)

It isn't the norm but the people in my city boast lower than the national average rates of STDs and aren't scarred for life because they've seen medical footage. Take that for what it is. All it did was making the idea of not being safe if you're going to have sex seem like about the dumbest thing you could possibly ever do. There were some parent complaints about it but just pushed it up to 8th grade and that seemed to solve the problem.

My responses in red. If you reacted with such horror though at one standard, you can see why the other side of the fence might react equally with horror at your side of the fence. So you can see why our personal experiences aren't laws and why people expect companies to follow contracts so they can associate themselves with ones that fall in line with their teaching style. This is why if PWI is going to promise a chat free from certain things, it is important that it delivers. I do agree they have went way too far with this filter though, it's a mess and disruptive to game play and is censoring things it has no business censoring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Sabella - Harshlands
    Sabella - Harshlands Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't run the game, or the forums, just moderate them. I'm a player like yourself. b:thanks

Regardless, I think the filter needs to be there, but the fact it effect player names (especially those that don't even contain cuss words) needs to change.

I didn't suggest removing it, i suggested a way to disable it if we CHOOSE to, pwi could sell a "pack" that allows people to disable the chat filter, kinda like smilies b:laugh <-- make it last a week or so.
  • VitoScaletta - Dreamweaver
    VitoScaletta - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Turn back all cyrillic symbols! Russian gamers now can't talk in factions and squads!b:cryb:shutup
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't believe this change was intended; I'll get to the bottom of it and update you guys as soon as possible. b:thanks
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Agreed - that's step one.

Step two is to ensure that new character names are also exempt from the filters. A player creating a new character with "Japan" or "Chastity" in its name deserves exactly the same chance to not abuse the system as a person whose character is already in the game prior to this filter change.

And step three is to hire some more damn GMs already. We practically never see them as it is, and as it's been stated in this thread already, nobody is watching world chat.

And if someone does abuse the right to name their characters? Dole out warnings/bans as appropriate. And any excuses about "not seeing them" is bull. It should be child's play to query a current list of players on each server and run it through the filter of censored words. Then the GM (or someone they delegate to, perhaps) would run through the list of flagged character names and decide, using that little bit of human understanding and dignity that no computer can possess, which names truly violate the TOS.

It really should be that simple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • VeraBlue - Heavens Tear
    VeraBlue - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nice job PW, you screwed up your own game adding more useless censors for ppl to avoid and now myself and others can't even pm about a dozen ppl on my friends list. Way to go geniuses. lol @ backfire..

I'm sure others have complained about this as well but wonder where the topics might be..
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    scuzeme is completely un-pmable on DW (due to "cuze" on the list), I have had to invite him to talk at all, it really needs a rollback on the filter, but we all knwo how long that will take..

the first thing I said when I invited him as "Sorry, but I couldn't give you any warning"
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • LittlePony - Dreamweaver
    LittlePony - Dreamweaver Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I don't believe this change was intended; I'll get to the bottom of it and update you guys as soon as possible. b:thanks

I will wait for it b:victory
    The trouble with real life is that there is no danger music.
  • Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah, and if you have a friend with the word "identity" in their name (an innocent word period), they're out of luck too.

*points to sig*
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    ZeaKuro - Raging Tide Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    [Yes, this is a QQ thread. However, it needs to be said.]

The new censorship has gone too far. I do understand the need for censorship in the game, as we had it before, though this is far too much. It is to the point now that certain toons can not be wisped and certain factions can not recruit. When you try to wisp these toons it edits parts of their names and the toon with *'s in their name doesn't exist. There are several factions on Raging Tide that is no longer able to recruit. Without the ability to even say the name of your faction who are these factions ever expected to grow? Also, the word "G_A_Y" is now included in the list of censored words. Is PWI so against homosexuality that it would actually prevent you from saying the word? Although I am not *** myself, despite my many male lovers on Raging Tides world chat, I don't feel it is right to censor this word. As I said before, I see the need for censorship, however this game was intended for a mature audience. When the censorship makes it difficult for people to play the game it has gone too far.
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
    1. One who murders by surprise attack, especially one who carries out a plot to kill a prominent person.
    synonyms: murderer, killer, gunman, executioner, informalhitman, hired gun.
    Latin assassnus; Greek δολοφόνος
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44 [gcide]:

Ga.y \Ga.y\ (g[=a]), adjective [Compar. {Ga.yer}; superl. {Ga.yest}.] [F. gai, perhaps fr. OHG. g?hi swift, rapid, G. g["a]h, j["a]h, steep, hasty; or cf. OHG. w?hi beatiful, good. Cf. {Jay}.]

1. Excited with merriment; manifesting sportiveness or delight; inspiring delight; livery; merry.

Belinda smiled, and all the world was ga.y. --Pope.

Ga.y hope is theirs by fancy fed. --Gray.

2. Brilliant in colors; splendid; fine; richly dressed.

Why is my neighbor's wife so ga.y? --Chaucer.

A bevy of fair women, richly *** In gems and wanton dress! --Milton.

3. Loose; dissipated; lewd. [Colloq.]

Syn: Merry; gleeful; blithe; airy; lively; sprightly, sportive; light-hearted; frolicsome; jolly; jovial; joyous; joyful; glad; showy; splendid; vivacious.

not it's real meaning either. just what people made it
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Please go QQ here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1119741

Frankie has already answered there, and so, if we insist over there, we might get something done soon

Edit: Yay for thread merging.
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I sense a disturbance on merging topics resulting on it looking as if I double-posted.

The force failed me.
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm more pissed at the fact that they deleted Escorian's thread from last night. Do you know how pissed he is right now? He's worse than me when it comes to being grumpy. And I have an excuse to be.

*points to sig again*

If you don't want 12-year-olds reading what goes on in WC, which I'll admit sometimes gets really bad, but don't want the 26-year-olds to feel like they're in kindergarten, add a filter option. Best idea ever; both parties are happy then. Furthermore, I know 3-year-olds who can tell you what "suck my...you know what" means, thanks to other stuff than games like PWI.

Now if you'll 'scuze me, I need to go choke a chicken so I can have dinner for tonight.

(Take that last part as you want it, it's chicken night for me)

*signs petition*
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    PWE going for an E rating? good luck..
  • Naufragion - Dreamweaver
    Naufragion - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Does anyone have a list of all the banned words?
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    there are a few running about
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    Larkray - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options

-removed-

There's the list for you. Btw Mods, do NOT delete that link. You shouldn't be removing information sources like that >.>
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"
    Proud Level 101 Heavy/Arcane Tanking Fox Venomancer of DW~

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • chaoticshelly
    edited June 2011
    Options

Posting it on the forums is not allowed, so please avoid posting it here.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Posting it on the forums is not allowed, so please avoid posting it here.

Why is it not allowed to be posted? Can we have a legitimate reason?
    There's more to making a judging than everything being in black and white. The decision making process is a puddle of grays.
    True friends aren't those who would bail you out of jail, they're the one sitting with you in the cell saying, "Well that was fun!"

Family is the people you're with, not the roof over your head. Ty Kindrid for helping me see that again.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Another unannounced change in this last patch is the return of the unintelligent chat filter.

Words you can no longer say:

Japanese
    Circumstances
    Wa****a

In addition to this, people who had legal names in the old system now find they have names that can't be typed.
    This means they can't be PM'd or invited to squads. Sucks for them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • chaoticshelly
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Why is it not allowed to be posted? Can we have a legitimate reason?

It links to a list of words that are censored through the forums and game as well as reveals game files that are included inside a patch. As a rule of thumb we are to remove obscene links (And while this one coming from PWE, it is not to be posted and seen by the players).
  • Larkray - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    OMG!!! b:laughb:laughb:laugh You cant even say the level 7x Light armor gear names in chat anymore WAY To ****ING FAIL PWE! b:laughb:laugh

Gear name: Serendipitous Plate

Filtered Name: Serendi****us Plate

Filtered Part: Pito

Definition: A small spanish flute (outwoods slang to refer to male genitalia)

Edit:
    It links to a list of words that are censored through the forums and game as well as reveals game files that are included inside a patch. As a rule of thumb we are to remove obscene links (And while this one coming from PWE, it is not to be posted and seen by the players).

WTF lol it's posted in PWI's cabbage patch notes on THIS VERY FORUM. That's about as bogus a reason as you can give.

Second edit: LOVE the ninja edit to the cabbage patch notes removing that piece of information GMs xD

• VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    LOL it's still on google. The ghost thread and the ghost link....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2011
    Options
    which really doesn't matter, because people will skirt any filter put in the game or on the forums