Should I charge to go and Res people?

JadianWings - Heavens Tear
JadianWings - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
I'm a cleric. And and as we all know, no matter what race u are, we all need a cleric! I am constantly being asked to go here and there res'ing people!b:victory Which.. please note.... I am happy to do!b:pleased

However!b:sad I do find it hard to maintain my mp pots/charms etc, and end up spending a fortune on doing so.

The other day i was asked to go into a fb and res someone. Not a problem! I went, gladly! And as i was about to leave after the sucessful res, one of the squad members traded me some money! I was surprised and a tad embarassed! BUT, it allowed me to buy my replacement pots.

So I got to thinking. Does that happen alot? Should I ask for payment?

I honestly dont know what the correct/poliet/accepted methods are in this situation.

So please, let me know your opinions... and if u want to donate to HELP SAVE YOUR CLERIC FUND... let me knowb:laugh
Post edited by JadianWings - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• PequetteV - Lost City
    PequetteV - Lost City Posts: 1,202 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    if they are not friends or guildmates charge them. if the same guildmates keep asking for it ignore him or charge
    genesis (r.i.p.) ===> conqueror (r.i.p.) ===> zen (r.i.p.) ===> iam (r.i.p.) ===> guardianz (r.i.p.) ===> spectral ===> essence
    starting to be a nice guild hoppers b:surrender

go on my website it contains lots useful informations about PWI

[noparse]http://pequette.comuf.com[/noparse]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Do what you think is right. Asking people for money for help does not sound very nice to me. I do it all the time (Thats a lie. I never help people). But do what you feel is right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Bebisito - Dreamweaver
    Bebisito - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You can charge if you really want, it might teach people not to walk all over you in the process.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I would never paid!!! It's question of principle. b:angry
    Also I would never take money.
    About your mana. Just meditate and your mana will be back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Charge them.

You are taking time out of stuff you need to do, to go help them. The least they can do is compensate you for your time.

~S
  • MiliaFallyna - Dreamweaver
    MiliaFallyna - Dreamweaver Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Dont ask for payment, take it as a "thank you" for takin the time to res them all. It's a very kind gesture when someone does it. Lotta people/or some wont do that... but asking for payment just seems... bland...
    edited February 2010
    Charge them.

You are taking time out of stuff you need to do, to go help them. The least they can do is compensate you for your time.

~S

I'm surprise of people like you. You see just money and your time. I'm very disappointed. With people like you the world this one or real one NEVER be better.b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    I'm surprise of people like you. You see just money and your time. I'm very disappointed. With people like you the world this one or real one NEVER be better.b:angry
    She is taking time out to help people. If she want's to charge it's her choice. The only way this world would be a better place is if everyone she rezzed voluntarily gave up some money to her. But looking at what she said, it seems like she rezzed a lot of people and only one person ever gave her money for her time and effort.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Wolvenear - Sanctuary
    Wolvenear - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Can i charge you next time you need a boss tanked? (looks are charm and rep costs)
    Vote for allowing wolves to turn into wolfs not tigers
    [SIGPIC]http://i46.tinypic.com/wlrtlk.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    if they are friends or faction mates i wouldnt charge but if they are total strangers you dont no i would charge but thts just me i luv me moneyb:dirty
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
    edited February 2010
    She is taking time out to help people. If she want's to charge it's her choice. The only way this world would be a better place is if everyone she rezzed voluntarily gave up some money to her. But looking at what she said, it seems like she rezzed a lot of people and only one person ever gave her money for her time and effort.

If I would be cleric I would res. people on voluntary base. But I would never take money for that. If I wouldn't have time I wouldn't res. Easy. But If I agree to help some1, I'm doing it always for free. I never taking money for my help. It's just disgusting. Last time I killed miniboss for lv.44 physic. His AOE killed him 3x so I had to wait for him together more that 30 min when finally he was far enough. And I didn't know hiim i was doing WQ and he ask me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Draykarna - Sanctuary
    Draykarna - Sanctuary Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Personally If someone offered to give me money for a rez I would take it and be grateful they did. Personally I wouldnt ask for the money tho. Its seems a lil petty for something so small. I mean if going into a fb to rez someone and ur happy to do it, well thats YOUR choice. You can always say no if you fell its to much, your busy or if you fell like the person is taking you for a ride. You know the type of pest who always asks for a rez no matter where they are.
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/HIM_Wraith/Dray_Sig5_zps515c7918.png[/SIGPIC]
    .:sig by me:.

.:My Chars:.
    .:Draykarna-Veno-8x.:.NiteShade_-Sin-4x.:.Shavain-Psy-7x.:.Kellyka-Cleric-7x.:.Ravenda-Seeker-5x.:.Valaskar-Arch-1x:.
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    If I would be cleric I would res. people on voluntary base. But I would never take money for that. If I wouldn't have time I wouldn't res. Easy. But If I agree to help some1, I'm doing it always for free. I never taking money for my help. It's just disgusting.
    That's your opinion. And since I'm assuming you don't play a cleric, you have no idea how much they have to res and how much time they spend on it. It is easy to make assumptions without getting the facts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• DeMoNyX - Heavens Tear
    DeMoNyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm partially torn on this particular subject. Do i feel clerics are taken for granted... yes. But here's where i find the gray area. if you are asking a cleric to come from someplace out of the way (via World Chat or pm), you should offer them something for their troubles. Show respect to your clerics... they keep you alive.
    On the other hand, i don't feel clerics should take it as far as capitolizing what they do. If some one is dead nearby you, res them. It isn't that hard to gain mp back. If they continuously die and start expecting you to res them, tell them that they need to be more careful and you will not res them again. At that point they need to start Town Porting, it'll teach them to value their lives... lmao. My main point is show respect to your clerics... :) they deserve it.
    edited February 2010
    That's your opinion. And since I'm assuming you don't play a cleric, you have no idea how much they have to res and how much time they spend on it. It is easy to make assumptions without getting the facts.
    So tell me how much mana they spend? Mana is free(just meditate for a while). Just time. As I said she doen't have to do it. But if she agree to res. some1 is unmoral to take money for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You can charge them, but take into mind few things:
    1. Dont overcharge.
    Meaning, dont make money from revives. Calc how much money you lose by going and reviving and then charge the approx sum. If cleric is near, then basically his/her only costs are mp, which can be covered by 1 mp pot. If you need to teleport to revive, then charge for it.
    2. Warn people about charging before you revive them.
    3. Expect some trash talking too...
    So tell me how much mana they spend? Mana is free(just meditate for a while). Just time. As I said she doen't have to do it. But if she agree to res. some1 is unmoral to take money for that.
    What if she is grinding? Unplaned usage of mana costs more time and money. Doesn't revive cost enough mp to kill a mob? So she either needs to use pot to not lose exp/money in certain time period or meditate, which means lose of exp/money.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Depends on how much I like them and how out of my way it is as to whether or not I bother. The best way to avoid becoming a rez factory is to place conditions upon rezzing people. Soon as it's evident you're a doormat cleric who will be led around by people who get themselves killed, you'll be bugged to hell non-stop. However, if you manage to complain about not having a GS and losing xp having to town to rez their smug bums, you'll have an army of people waiting to tell you to deal with it and be better prepared. This is where you turn around and give the same excuse in return for them not having a rez scroll and GS.
  • Euphy - Dreamweaver
    Euphy - Dreamweaver Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    If someone is dead within the range of the T-menu thing I will revive them without question. Maybe not right away if I'm trying to to die myself, but yes I think its the nice thing to do and I hope other clerics will act in the same way if I happen to die around them. For close friends and guildmates I also don't have gripes flying for ten minutes to help them safe an hour of grinding.
    However, if strangers need me to enter an instance I can quickly lose an hour of more of my day and I'm risking my own safety. While I wouldn't ask, I love it when people compensate me for my efforts. Because while I might enjoy helping out, its still work.
    As to the barbarians that want to be paid for tanking... if you aren't benefiting from the boss or helping a friend I see nothing wrong with accepting a reward. If you want to avoid you wine fees for your bounty, **** that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    very true janus very true
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    It is not immoral if she is charging for her time and skills. A real life example would be a plumber asking for money for fixing your toilet. He used his time and skills to help you, and is now asking for money. This same thing can be applied to a cleric using their time to help someone and rez them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited February 2010

What if she is grinding? Unplaned usage of mana costs more time and money. Doesn't revive cost enough mp to kill a mob? So she either needs to use pot to not lose exp/money in certain time period or meditate, which means lose of exp/money.
    If she is grinding she doesn't have to res. It's on her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    It is not immoral if she is charging for her time and skills. A real life example would be a plumber asking for money for fixing your toilet. He used his time and skills to help you, and is now asking for money. This same thing can be applied to a cleric using their time to help someone and rez them.
    You are really mistaken with this example.
    Plumber is in real word. That's his job. He is feeding his family. Rescue some1 in game is far away from real life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    You are really mistaken with this example.
    Plumber is in real word. That's his job. He is feeding his family. Rescue some1 in game is far away from real life.
    But the fact that she uses her time and skill is the same. The reason she needs the cash may be different, but the fact that she needs it remains.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Alexenokin - Lost City
    Alexenokin - Lost City Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i kinda sorta stopped reading halfway thru page 2...

however here's what i did to solve this little issue:

1) i -never- accept friend requests from anyone, that way they cant ask me thru that
    2) i tell my faction bluntly, "if i'm gonna go across the map to rez you, i expect something in return"

basically, this solves the issue. the key is to not specify what you expect in return, just simply state that you "expect something in return" for taking so much time out from your own questing/grinding/fb/bh/wq/etc

when i did this, i still got spammed for help (because i'm a cleric after all), but whenever i helped, i ALWAYS got something for it
    1) constantly got asked to help with FBs = experience and spirit
    2) constantly got asked to help with BH = was provided 10 mana pots from each squad member
    3) constantly got asked to help with TT = was provided pots, and got to keep Edges (tt60)
    4) constantly got asked to help with bosses = got pots, and sometimes coin

getting the picture?
    I have officially "won the game"... Actually, I decided it was time to leave.
    Joined sometime in March of 2009 - right after Dreamweaver opening.
    Retired on March 16, 2010... 1 year later...
    edited February 2010
    But the fact that she uses her time and skill is the same. The reason she needs the cash may be different, but the fact that she needs it remains.

She doesn't have to come. If she doesn't come nothing will happen. If plumber doesn't come he will not get money. Plumber and me we both have advantage and need each other.
    In game is totally different. She doesn't have to come if she doesn't want. Nobody force her to come. And none is dependable on each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    She doesn't have to come. If she doesn't come nothing will happen. If plumber doesn't come he will not get money. Plumber and me we both have advantage and need each other.
    In game is totally different. She doesn't have to come if she doesn't want. Nobody force her to come. And none is dependable on each other.
    But if she comes it's an advantage for both. He pays and doesn't lose exp, she gets something in return. Anyways, it's her choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ICreamed - Lost City
    ICreamed - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I think it's good to set boundaries for yourself. Personally, I've never plaed a cleric (AKA: heal-b*tch in my circle of friends--a term coined for love of our fellow players), however I know there are doormat clerics out there.

I think you should just distinguish when you're being taken advantage of--maybe you don't have to charge them for it. If you have your own priorities and they're at stake to res. someone an hour away (and it's not a close friend/guildie), I probably wouldn't res. that person.

And I know there are people who would take extra lives for granted, and fill your day with res. requests. I wouldn't res., but if that really, really makes you happy, deep, deep down, then go for it. I'd probably tell the person (like someone earlier in this thread) to value his life more. The chance of death makes things more exciting anyway.

So, in essence, I wouldn't put your priorities over someone else's unless you're getting something out of it--like emotionally beneficial (it makes you happy), or, if you like, charge them with a sliding scale.

And for those of you talking about morals and all, Mon Dieu. This is a game on the internet. It's not that serious. Not everyone subscribes to your brand of right and wrong, anyway.
    YouTube.com/CottonCrumble

You don't have to be wrong or right. With a better argument, you'll always win.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Can i charge you next time you need a boss tanked? (looks are charm and rep costs)

I don't need any bosses tanked atm, and if I did, I would get someone I know to help, and I usually help defray their repair costs. I have also been know to GIVE a gold HP charm to someone tanking for me as well.

Next idiot question?

*edit* Also, PWI is one of very few games I have played where the cleric seems to be EXPECTED by users to rez them for free. Most other games I have played, a cleric expects to be compensated for their time. So... while some may think it is 'immoral' (an idiot thing to say in a game btw) to want to be compensated for time... I personally have no problems with it.

~S
    edited February 2010
    But if she comes it's an advantage for both. He pays and doesn't lose exp, she gets something in return. Anyways, it's her choice.

If she asked for money I would go rather to town and loose exp. As I said is question of principle.
    But if any1 will want for help just money, the PWI as a community will end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You help someone because you want to do it. b:victory
    Don't except people that you helped will give you payment for your help. b:surrender

But if you working for them it different story. b:laugh
    Like if . . someone in WC say "Rez needed at xxx xxx i pay for 50k !! or 100k if you have lv 10 rez !! "

Well i am not someone who like to helping, but also rarely ask for help. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...