Lack of personal responsibility

Comments

• Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    So what you are saying is, that while you are complaining that someone outright "threatened" your life, you welcome; hell even invite them to come let you back your own mouth up. You say you post pictures and have given out where you live, like you are taunting someone to come give you a reason for violence.

Sorry, I think that you believe the wrong person here has the issue.

When you invite trouble, what do you expect to get.

As the saying goes, no need to bring your own gasoline to an already raging fire. (ok I made that up but it sure sounds good)

No, what I am saying is that unlike most people on the Internet, I am not afraid to back my mouth up if they come to pay me a visit. I am not one of these people that can be said of "Your only bad assed behind a computer screen" I am just as bad assed in real life and I don't have any issue when it comes to backing that up if someone wants to be so stupid as to come and try to make their threats in a game or on a forum, real.

I'd rather they didn't. I don't exactly like having to deal with Police because some dumbass thought they were Rambo or something. But I don't hide behind a monitor and act all tough and hard because I know I am 'safe' either.

That is my point.

There is a difference between someone having great big balls cause they know they are 'safe' and can get away with it and someone who isn't afraid of someone showing up on their doorstep. I don't invite people to be stupid, but if they want to be stupid, I am more than capable of explaining their stupidity to them.

~S
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No, what I am saying is that unlike most people on the Internet, I am not afraid to back my mouth up if they come to pay me a visit. I am not one of these people that can be said of "Your only bad assed behind a computer screen" I am just as bad assed in real life and I don't have any issue when it comes to backing that up if someone wants to be so stupid as to come and try to make their threats in a game or on a forum, real.

I'd rather they didn't. I don't exactly like having to deal with Police because some dumbass thought they were Rambo or something. But I don't hide behind a monitor and act all tough and hard because I know I am 'safe' either.

That is my point.

There is a difference between someone having great big balls cause they know they are 'safe' and can get away with it and someone who isn't afraid of someone showing up on their doorstep. I don't invite people to be stupid, but if they want to be stupid, I am more than capable of explaining their stupidity to them.

~S

I would think though, that your personal responsibility should be spent at trying to avert a situation that potentially could put you and your families life at risk. Not, "backing up what you say". Seriously.. who goes just looking for trouble? Anyways.. all I have to say on the subject I knew when I started it was a lose/lose situation. You only see what you want to see and everyone else's point of view is always wrong.
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    http://www.internationaltaskforce.org/assisted_suicide_laws.htm

i have nothing more to say. read it. Some states its different.. where i live, prison.

Criminal assistance to suicide is:
    The intentional advising or encouraging of another person to commit suicide or the providing of the physical means or the knowledge of such means to another person for the purpose of enabling the other person to commit or attempt to commit suicide
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Megabyte_ - Heavens Tear
    Megabyte_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The saddest part of this whole thing is that the 'crybaby' most likely has a higher level main character that they used to fund their new assassin or psychic... and therefore doesn't even need the coin anyway. They just wanted to b__ch about something. b:chuckle
    I mean really, how many people that just started this game EVER leave their drops? Very few from what I have seen... I know when I first started, and had no coin, I picked up anything and everything!
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    sigh, now I think you're just on an ego trip. First it was (as the thread title said) taking responsibility for you're actions. Then it somehow got twisted into being about it not being okay to make threats (both of which I agree). But now you're onto some tangent about saying person X is an idiot that you'd easily "back your mouth up against" (somehow believing yourself to be untouchable). Granted there's some good points made in this thread from many people - I fail to see how your last post is constructive to the thread in any way b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Malei - Sanctuary
    Malei - Sanctuary Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You see, now we are down to the nitty gritty of things. The fact that you are here telling us this stuff an implied threat in itself. Sure the words aren't implicitly written - but its enough for a person to think that you're just looking for an excuse to shoot/maim/kill someone. I mean, you're pretty much saying, from telling us this stuff, that "I welcome you to come and try to fulfill your threats, because I'm gonna kill you". Sure you didn't say it outright, but that's what I'm getting from it. The fact that you openly give out your address and pictures in the face of confrontation tells me you have nefarious plans of your own. So it begs the question... why point out that X person saying X thing is wrong, but its okay for you to do the same thing in an implied manner?

You're baiting, now. He isn't saying anything like that.

How far off track has this thread gotten? Sheesh.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You're baiting, now. He isn't saying anything like that.

How far off track has this thread gotten? Sheesh.

baiting? Or perhaps trying to point out the hypocrisy in his arguments.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Malei - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009

Sorry if it makes me a bad person, but I would have my glock ready as well if someone was to threaten me and try to harass me IRL.

That's just common sense though. A man runs up on you with a knife, you'll wish you had a weapon as well. I fail to see how him claiming that he has weapons for things like this makes him a hypocrite.

According to his original post, he never threatened a gun to the player or anything.

Now, if this thread is so derailed from its point, I'll take my leave. However, to the original post that Sai has made, I agree with you Sai. People should learn how to take responsibility for their own actions, never be afraid to point out when a person is acting like a ******, and do know that the internet is truly "srs business".

I'm out.b:victory
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2009

Which part is hypocritical? The part where threatening people is wrong? Or the part where he states he will defend himself if necessary?
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    http://www.internationaltaskforce.org/assisted_suicide_laws.htm

i have nothing more to say. read it. Some states its different.. where i live, prison.

Criminal assistance to suicide is:
    The intentional advising or encouraging of another person to commit suicide or the providing of the physical means or the knowledge of such means to another person for the purpose of enabling the other person to commit or attempt to commit suicide

You still missed the point. It shows how stupid you are that even after explaining it to you that you are still unable to understand it. When your able to use reason and logic correctly, and are able to understand the concept that sometimes you just have to be harsh with people before they shake themselves out of their own miasma, then maybe you will have a clue about why I handed my friend a knfe and told him if he was so intent on killing himself to have at it. The fact is, I knew he wouldn't. He had been saying for years that he was going to kill himself, until he got enough 'sympathy' and then he was ok.. then he would go back to doing it again (rinse and repeat).

Myself, his family and a number of his friends had reached our wits end on how to help him. Hospital stays did no good. He'd stay a few days, and check out and then within days be right back to his suicidal threats again. This went on for YEARS. I finally had enough and called his bluff. Told him if he was serious, to stop talking about it and do it. That shocked him enough that he actually accepted help and got his act together.

So, regardless of what the LAWS say. I did the right thing. If he had actually tried to kill himself, you can bet I would have gotten emergency help and I would have accepted the legal consequences of it all. But I had spent years trying to help my friend get out of where he was at, and he just wouldn't step up for himself.

Until you know and understand what we all went through with him, you have no basis or right to make any judgments on my behavior or my morality.

~Saitada
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2009

That is my point.

~S

It's not a gift, ... me thinks someone has an antisocial personality disorder
    Get help

Well I shouldn't be so judgemental, but some self-exploration might be beneficial
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Malei - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    You still missed the point. It shows how stupid you are that even after explaining it to you that you are still unable to understand it. When your able to use reason and logic correctly, and are able to understand the concept that sometimes you just have to be harsh with people before they shake themselves out of their own miasma, then maybe you will have a clue about why I handed my friend a knfe and told him if he was so intent on killing himself to have at it. The fact is, I knew he wouldn't. He had been saying for years that he was going to kill himself, until he got enough 'sympathy' and then he was ok.. then he would go back to doing it again (rinse and repeat).

Myself, his family and a number of his friends had reached our wits end on how to help him. Hospital stays did no good. He'd stay a few days, and check out and then within days be right back to his suicidal threats again. This went on for YEARS. I finally had enough and called his bluff. Told him if he was serious, to stop talking about it and do it. That shocked him enough that he actually accepted help and got his act together.

So, regardless of what the LAWS say. I did the right thing. If he had actually tried to kill himself, you can bet I would have gotten emergency help and I would have accepted the legal consequences of it all. But I had spent years trying to help my friend get out of where he was at, and he just wouldn't step up for himself.

Until you know and understand what we all went through with him, you have no basis or right to make any judgments on my behavior or my morality.

~Saitada

Let me point out this as well.

There are historical documents claiming during the early practices of psychotherapy, many patients would suffer "relapses" as Sai had stated his friend had done as well. It became a cycle of never-ending treatment; the patient would claim that the doctor had indeed helped them, leave the treatments, and found that they have "relapsed" back into their old habits. This would make the doctor appear incapable of performing their treatments, and thus tarnish their reputation.

A few of the doctors had then began to "command" their patients to relapse. As if daring them to go back into their old habits. Patients, fearing the consequences and the lack of the doctor's assistance in case such a thing were to happen, would try harder to get well. And to "stay" well.

I don't believe Sai was trying to encourage his friend to suicide. When you are at your last wits with someone, if they just will not cope, the only thing you can do is to "dare" them. Pull the trigger. Take the pills. Jump off the cliff. You've done it so many times before, worried so many people, wasted all of this time. Do it already.

It forces them to think, forces them to actually consider the consequences that comes with the actions. Raw, "cold", but it is a method proven in history that has worked.

~Happy Holidays~
  • perire
    perire Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I don't think anyone said he was responsible. We all believe he could have just ignored it and went on. I liked Janus' idea about not saying anything and just following him picking up his loot.

However; the other player called his wife a thief. Believing that HE thought she was one. No different than him calling the other player a whiner/crybaby. Both parties were in the wrong here with how they dealt with the situation.

But the wrongs are not equal in this case. He did not call the other player a whiner or a crybaby until after the other persisted in calling his wife a thief. Then a death threat? Saying both parties are in the wrong is fine, to me they obviously both were, but where Saidata is in a light grey area, the other player is in the black. Downplaying the other players role in the confrontation to the point where they are just a bit player is ludicrous.

Have you read all the posts? I should think that anyone who hands their friend a knife and encourages suicide is the one who should be worried about what they are saying and how it makes them look. At least call the popo and have them admitted into an asylum. Jeez.

I did read all of the other posts, but I wasn't responding to the ones about encouraging suicide or trying for character assassination of Saidata. I was responding to the posts of the people trying to justify the actions of the other player and the original post.

I am not going to touch your comment Saidata's friend's potential suicide, other than to say I have no idea of the details surrounding it and so have no right to judge his actions.

Regardless of whatever Saidata did in the past, it doesn't absolve anyone else in this thread of the responsibility for his/her own words.

And that's all I have to say about that.
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited December 2009

~Saitada

She has called you evil, which is a self proclamation. But is there a reason you intend to continue to call her names? You call her stupid for proving her point with law and fact rather than just spout out meaningless and useless opinions! For what reason? You can not get your point across without demeaning her intelligence?

According to the law, thats all she was trying to show you. But you and your groupies insist that everything you do is correct and right. So it matters not what any of the rest of us say anyways.
    Let me point out this as well.

There are historical documents claiming during the early practices of psychotherapy, many patients would suffer "relapses" as Sai had stated his friend had done as well. It became a cycle of never-ending treatment; the patient would claim that the doctor had indeed helped them, leave the treatments, and found that they have "relapsed" back into their old habits. This would make the doctor appear incapable of performing their treatments, and thus tarnish their reputation.

A few of the doctors had then began to "command" their patients to relapse. As if daring them to go back into their old habits. Patients, fearing the consequences and the lack of the doctor's assistance in case such a thing were to happen, would try harder to get well. And to "stay" well.

I don't believe Sai was trying to encourage his friend to suicide. When you are at your last wits with someone, if they just will not cope, the only thing you can do is to "dare" them. Pull the trigger. Take the pills. Jump off the cliff. You've done it so many times before, worried so many people, wasted all of this time. Do it already.

It forces them to think, forces them to actually consider the consequences that comes with the actions. Raw, "cold", but it is a method proven in history that has worked.

~Happy Holidays~

Also a "method" that in the past and present have gotten people some hefty time in prison. I would leave what "method' is best and correct for a person up to the professionals who have dealt with suicidal people on a daily basis for years. They are in fact called professionals for a reason. I seriously doubt that any therapist/psychiatrist would recommend this type of "cold, raw" method. Really, is it that hard to call the men in whit suits to handle it?
    That one time you think, he would never do it, just might be the time they did.

Honestly, it appears the regard for human life is naught as far as both of you are concerned. But as is said, not my job to judge. Its merely my observation of whats going on.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I see no reason why to complain that someone picks up your loot, if you were too slow to grab it. You can complain only if you are still fighting for your life so you can't pick it in time.

As for threats...
    This is where threats and grudges can lead you to
    So, kids, keep your personal info at yourself and don't forget this is just a game. b:chuckle
    edited December 2009
    I see no reason why to complain that someone picks up your loot, if you were too slow to grab it. You can complain only if you are still fighting for your life so you can't pick it in time.

As for threats...
    This is where threats and grudges can lead you to
    So, kids, keep your personal info at yourself and don't forget this is just a game. b:chuckle

In Soviet Russia, game PKs you! b:shocked

• Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Soviet Russia collapsed almost 20 years ago...
    edited December 2009
    Soviet Russia collapsed almost 20 years ago...

You've obviously never heard of Family Guy. b:sweat

This should explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwZada9uM0

• Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Wow. There's a fail human being for you... Yet... I've met people like that on this game... Hmmm.
  • Malei - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Also a "method" that in the past and present have gotten people some hefty time in prison. I would leave what "method' is best and correct for a person up to the professionals who have dealt with suicidal people on a daily basis for years. They are in fact called professionals for a reason. I seriously doubt that any therapist/psychiatrist would recommend this type of "cold, raw" method. Really, is it that hard to call the men in whit suits to handle it?
    That one time you think, he would never do it, just might be the time they did.

Honestly, it appears the regard for human life is naught as far as both of you are concerned. But as is said, not my job to judge. Its merely my observation of whats going on.

I don't sit here and pretend to know what method is best to handle situations like that. Nor do I claim that this type of method is the only method. I simply stated that this particular technique in handling cases where people repeatedly threatened such relaspes, i.e: suicide, drug addiction, anything along that line, had been used in eariler practices of psychotherapy.

Is it the most effective method? No true "method" is the best method.

Did this example work for the matter that was at topic at the time? Yes, it did.

I don't disregard human life. I never will. Human lief is precious in itself. So, before you try to give me that, learn that I wasn't directly talking to you when I was stating that example. I was merely showing that Sai's method isn't something that is so uncommon when it comes to cases as such. And take the passive-agressiveness out of the forums, hun. It doesn't work here.

You don't judge? Yes. You're absolutely right.

Outie. Happy Holidays~
  • Dire_Straits - Raging Tide
    Dire_Straits - Raging Tide Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I hope he player wasn't a phychic, they get a useful 1 minute attack buff and the player might just be trying to make the most of it.
    We can't judge on who's brash who wasn't without whole conversation pictures. We can debate if its worth it to not pick up loot for the reason that killer might be taking advantage of a short term buff or take the loot as its timer is gone.

at level 4 they cost 52 mana and have a 10 sec (tops) cooldown, it's not that big of a deal to pick up a few items and continue attacking. that was clear bating, nd they picked a veteran to attack, big mistake

The phychic buff that I was talking about is level 9 (since after the 2 starting "non buffing skills" skills, the next skill we get is AT level 9 "which IS a buff skill"), it only lasts 1 minute and cooldown is 1 minute.
    I have no idea which level 4 skill you're talking about b:surrender
    My apologies for late reply, didn't read this thread again till now.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Going to back up with Sai on this, 100%.

The issue here was not the fact that there was any "QQ" about drops or anything of the like. The issue here was the fact that personal responsibility must be taken for every action that each of us, as adults, teens, children, whatever, has made. Sai, though in a brash form, had tried to explain to the person about the timer. The person continued to badger and pester them, when obviously they didn't want to listen to the explaination about the timer on the drops given to them.

Notice he said that his wife was being harassed, not himself. I wouldn't have done anything different if someone harassed someone I loved. I would tell them to get over it, stop being a baby, and actually listen to what I was trying to explain to them and move on.

When the death threat was made, that is when things got serious. Sai posted this thread to let others know that this is not okay. If you do something, you must own up to it. You can't think that your actions will go without consequences. Though this is the internet, it is indeed a part of the real world, and like it has been stated before, you have no idea what the intentions of the other person on the other side of the monitor intends to do. What if they do fulfill out such a threat? what if they meant every single word they said? Would you just "ignore" them then?

I hope that character got exactly what he deserved, even if it was a ban. In the real world, you need to learn to watch yourself, your mouth, and your actions. And, if you act out of line, you take the freakin' punishment. I've had similar experiences with death threats over the "interwebz" before. Some of those that you think you can just "ignore" are very real.

I agree with Sai. Calling someone a whiny baby will never justify killing anyone. Period. Take responsibility, people, and think about the moves you make against any other player.
    Like the poster you agree with, unsurprisingly, you take things far too seriously over picking up drops. Don't feel bad at all for partaking in the escalation of something that shouldn't have happened. It takes two. Strange how with what might seem like an intelligent way of handling things, you manage to help **** it up so badly.
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    wadafack is responsibility ?
    edited December 2009
    wadafack is responsibility ?

The actions you take within game and forums have consequences whether you are aware of it or not. Different community of people comprising of different age groups play here, that is why there is a guideline / rules that we must follow. Having no consequences for your actions will quickly make this game attract only individuals with select view point, thus changing its reputation and lowering potential sales for company.
    Unchallenged people always lead their society to disastrous events.

Edit- in view of the post below me -> b:surrenderb:cuteb:chuckle
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The actions you take within game and forums have consequences whether you are aware of it or not. Different community of people comprising of different age groups play here, that is why there is a guideline / rules that we must follow. Having no consequences for your actions will quickly make this game attract only individuals with select view point, thus changing its reputation and lowering potential sales for company.
    Unchallenged people always lead their society to disastrous events.
    /sarcasm
  • Manorexic - Dreamweaver
    Manorexic - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    would you give crack to an addict? would you give a gun to a bank robber? would you enable someone to commit a crime?

think about it. There is something wrong, when you can truthfully answer yes to these questions. These are questions of morality, you are not a psychotherapist.
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    Psytrac - Raging Tide Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Soul of Vengence? it's a 3minute buff with a 3minute cooldown. (I should know I use it constantly)
    edited December 2009
    I hope he player wasn't a phychic, they get a useful 1 minute attack buff and the player might just be trying to make the most of it.
    We can't judge on who's brash who wasn't without whole conversation pictures. We can debate if its worth it to not pick up loot for the reason that killer might be taking advantage of a short term buff or take the loot as its timer is gone.

at level 4 they cost 52 mana and have a 10 sec (tops) cooldown, it's not that big of a deal to pick up a few items and continue attacking. that was clear bating, nd they picked a veteran to attack, big mistake

The phychic buff that I was talking about is level 9 (since after the 2 starting "non buffing skills" skills, the next skill we get is AT level 9 "which IS a buff skill"), it only lasts 1 minute and cooldown is 1 minute.
    I have no idea which level 4 skill you're talking about b:surrender
    My apologies for late reply, didn't read this thread again till now.

Soul of Vengence? it's a 3minute buff with a 3minute cooldown. (I should know I use it constantly)

Please don't try to derail the point I was making by adding completely unrelated information. I am talking about player leaving loot behind due to taking advantage of a SHORT term buff. You stating that psychic (my example) do not have to worry about it because of a short cooldown period ?

Lets compare facts -> We get no skill at level 4, so I think you're meaning skill level 4. Your example of Soul of Vengeance is NOT a short term buff. It lasts 3 minutes. As you stated you use that buff, that means you have a psychic who completely disregards the use of the 2 other buffs we get -white voodoo and black. These are the short term buffs that I think the other player might be taking advantage of (specifically the black one). That player might have both short term and long term buffs, my understanding is that he must be taking advantage of the short term buff, having long term is meaningless.

I think your first reply was meant to use the voodoo skill and NOT soul of vengance (as you stated) because voodoo uses 52 mana at level 4 (sov uses 72). Your cooldown for 10 seconds is still wrong for all 3 buffs (or any buffs that I encountered till level 37)

Now the OP's incident happened in TB area (1st post), why would you state level 4 skill which costs 52 mana and cooldown of 10 seconds will have ample time to pick up loot ? We get level 4 skill buff at character level 24. Hard to imagine a 24th level player farming enemies in TB area. He'll get low exp and drops.

Did I even manage to convey my point across? I babble a lotb:surrender
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    Psytrac - Raging Tide Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    you're still FAR off base, because I use WHITE VOODOO with Soul of Vengence.

by the way, NOTHING agros on RT at all just about, I'm annoyed.. so yea, it's not hard to farm mobs..
    edited December 2009
    you're still FAR off base, because I use WHITE VOODOO with Soul of Vengence.

by the way, NOTHING agros on RT at all just about, I'm annoyed.. so yea, it's not hard to farm mobs..
    What am I off base about ?
    White/black voodoo have 1 minute cooldown with 1 minute lasting time, SoV has 3. All three buffs are from lvl 9.
    What has your using white voodoo with SoV anything to do about my understanding that a certain player was taking advantage of a short term buff and didn't pick up his loot ?
    What has your using 2 skills together anything to do with 52 mana and 10 seconds cooldown (tops)?
    How is your 1st post related with my 1st post ?b:cry