Should a "Wizard Class Improvement Patch" were announced to be released...

Options

Comments

• Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Man you're all so fail with sutra. Learn to get 5 spells with it and **** some kiddies.

DP > Pyrogram > Gush > DP > we can say GS here because its hardest single target though I don't use it. Just for little damage calculations.

Gogo someone do the math.

I can hit a dp, gush, pyro dp, SS most of the time. The point i'm making is that you can fit more time in there, and for some mathematical reason, you cannot get the full 6 seconds out of sutra. Only point I was trying to make.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Quick question for all the mages who have Undine Strike and have actually cast it: does the spell deal base magic dmg when it is cast, or does it deal 1 set number that never increases? My wizard is only lvl 45 or so, so got a ways before I can check
  • Mosa - Harshlands
    Mosa - Harshlands Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    undine strike does very minimal damage almost unnoticiable cuz it only hits like 150 on heavy armors but what you really wantis the debuff.
    formerly known as mosabi-heaven's tear..

you know that wizard that kicked your **** b:victory..

now I just own wizards at the new servers b:victory
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    It's a shame it doesn't at least deal base damage, or that would be the most powerful spell a mage could use under the no channel buff. I'm just waiting for our elven boon in cleric since that has fastest cast and the base dmg will out dmg DPS of our other spells bonus dmg by a ever-widening margin. Just that one little buff to your skill could make for a major power up for mages.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Naw, even if it dealt base damage I wouldn't use it within sutra.
    Its total cast time is like 1.5 seconds anyways, might as well sutra AFTER you undine strike.

The most my undine has ever done is a crit of 400 on a barb I think. :s
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Man you're all so fail with sutra. Learn to get 5 spells with it and **** some kiddies.

DP > Pyrogram > Gush > DP > we can say GS here because its hardest single target though I don't use it. Just for little damage calculations.

Gogo someone do the math.

Haiz, you make me cry. Lev 95 and never done your math homework? Don't be so fast to yell fail at others....

Divine Pyro Base +300%+ 2994.7 Cast Time 1
    Pyro Base +100%+ 1379.6 Cast Time .8
    Gush Base +100%+ 1372.6 Cast Time 1
    GS Base +255%+ 3879.6 Cast Time 1.8
    Total Speed 5.6 during spell cast, .2 lost between gush and DP for cool down so 5.8
    Basex5 + 1055% + 12621.2

Cali yours is much better but
    SS Base +300%+ 4288.4 Cast Time 1.5
    Total Speed 5.3 during spell cast, .2 lost between gush and DP for cool down so 5.5
    Basex5 + 1100% + 13030

Do your own DPS calculations. While your at it swap WoP in there for lots more dmg then pyro\gush and faster than Gush. Still doesn't reach the dmg level as the 4 spell combinations.
  • Llama - Lost City
    Llama - Lost City Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    b:shocked Get 100 and get the magic attack buff based on your mana and 1 shot everything.
    Hey Elayne. Its illegal to harass underage girls. And CQ won the map without you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zdolnoc - Sanctuary
    Zdolnoc - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The most needed changes need to be either an increase in overall damage to nearly every spell we have, a decrease in our absurdly long casting times compared to other classes, or some combination of the two.

Other than that, good points have been brought up. Emberstorm is useless, lack of viable aoe's, cookie cutter spells, RB canceling sutra.

One final point. I'd like the 6 seconds of no channel time from sutra to actually be 6 seconds. Currently you can set up a combo to have exactly 6 seconds of channel time, yet you will not get all of those spells off. Might be lag, but I think it actually is caused by a delay from the animation of the spells. You cast X spell, but its animation takes longer than the amount of channel time of said spell, causing you to lose time on your sutra.

My 2cp.
    All the sutra cancels out is the Channeling time but the Cast time is still the same. Just look at your spells cast times and figure out which ones have the lowest cast time and still have decent dmg. Then use that.

Edit: Of course, I write this before actually finishing going through all the posts. XD
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    improved movement speed. Slowest class in game, right there with clerics. If we are so gimped physically and have all our attention to magic, sure I understand, in which case increase the dmg we can do...cause we aren't great at being hit. Give us a chance to flee!!!!
    Also distance shrink is nice, a random tele would be more entertaining though.

HASTE!!!
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Haiz, you make me cry. Lev 95 and never done your math homework? Don't be so fast to yell fail at others....

GS Base +255%+ 3879.6 Cast Time 1.8
    Total Speed 5.6 during spell cast, .2 lost between gush and DP for cool down so 5.8
    Basex6 + 1055% + 12621.2

Cali yours is much better but
    SS Base +300%+ 4288.4 Cast Time 1.5
    Total Speed 5.3 during spell cast, .2 lost between gush and DP for cool down so 5.5
    Basex6 + 1100% + 13030

Do your own DPS calculations. While your at it swap WoP in there for lots more dmg then pyro\gush and faster than Gush. Still doesn't reach the dmg level as the 4 spell combinations.

If only you had common sense. You do realize that your base damage is much higher than any additional damage as in the +4288 from sandstorm or the +300% of weapon damage. Now the one thing that makes absolutely no sense is you leave basex6 for no matter what your calculation is. With five spells the base damage is x5, with your four combos the base damage is x4. My min matk is 7k, use that in your base damage then come back again and tell me what you find. Oh, and I'm sorry if my skills are actually maxed, don't know why your GS shows as 255% and such low damage.

What matters in my combo is that I always get that many spells, you were talking about getting four if you were lucky. The first four spells the total casting time is 4 seconds. That leaves you with 2 seconds to get the fifth off and even with graphical lag it is very easy and doable. Oh, and sorry but phoenix won't work half the time because I prefer to keep distance in my targets. That and my gush/pyrogram do the same damage as phoenix. You wouldn't really know that much though, you got plenty to learn.
  • Prof - Harshlands
    Prof - Harshlands Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    sutra combo usually consist with spells that have a 1 second cast time;

Pyrogram(.8) -> Divine Pyrogram(1.0) -> Gush(1.0) -> Pyrogram(.8) -> Divine Pyrogram(1.0)

4.6 second combo. the 1.5 cast time sandstorm/1.8 second cast time from glacial snare makes them an unlikely mix into your combo, unless you could somehow do more damage with 4 spells instead of 5.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Fixed the base multipliers in previous post. Good catch, finally read it?

This was posted as open formulas so that people could plug thier own numbers in and see where it goes.

Base Magic = (1+(MAG/100))*(level+equipment magic attack)

Insert that for your base magic dmg. Then take that number and figure out at what level that base number is going to become more than the differnce between the weapon multiplier and built in damage.

At level 75 this could be anywhere between 3000-4000+. Depending on your build and equips.

At level 6x this could be MUCH lower.

The reason that these formulas were posted open is so that people can PLUG IN THIER OWN NUMBERS. As at level 95 what holds true for your spells and numbers...is not the same as what holds for lev 6x,7x,8x.

Seriously Haiz, do you own math. Post some results. While your at it, use some common sense, not EVERYONE is lev 95. People will read your attitude (which is poor at best) and your posts and use it in game.
    And, did you have ANYTHING REGARDING OP to contribute?

*As a side note, if Calibix's base number is high enough depending on his build\equips it would be a MUCH better sequence than what I'd given it credit for. Probably able to compete or do better then the 4 spell GS at lev 75 with pure INT build and good gears. It pushes at the very edges of what the sutra really seems to allow, so would have to be perfect cast, but still. Also would probably not work as well for LA build or Hybrid :(
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Oh, and I'm sorry if my skills are actually maxed, don't know why your GS shows as 255% and such low damage.

What matters in my combo is that I always get that many spells, you were talking about getting four if you were lucky. The first four spells the total casting time is 4 seconds. That leaves you with 2 seconds to get the fifth off and even with graphical lag it is very easy and doable. Oh, and sorry but phoenix won't work half the time because I prefer to keep distance in my targets. That and my gush/pyrogram do the same damage as phoenix. You wouldn't really know that much though, you got plenty to learn.

I think here is the source of your misunderstanding. Read the post a bit closer. Its designed around lev 75. GS max level at 75 is lev 7.

Regarding Pheonix, it works in MANY situations and should not be disregarded just because. Boss's/Elite Mobs(TT/FB)/accidental aggro/extended life/mag res etc.

Also, regarding your flame in the last two sentences which is far beyond the scope of the levs this was designed around. Perhaps you've got something special to change these stats and numbers though, please share.

Demon Pyrogram Level 11
    Range: 30.0 meters
    Mana: 265
    Channel: 1.5 seconds
    Cast: 0.8 seconds
    Cooldown: 3.0 seconds
    Weapon: Unarmed, Magic Instruments
    Requisite Cultivation: Aware of the Void

Using the force of the Raging Flame, cast out onto the enemy a blazing pyrogram. Inflicts Fire damage equal to 100% of weapon damage plus base magic damage plus 3620.0.

Demon version reduces channeling time by 1.2 seconds.

Wizard: lvl 89 Spirit: 1 000 000 Coin: 1 000 000
    Demon Gush Level 11
    Range: 30.0 meters
    Mana: 256
    Channel: 1.0 seconds
    Cast: 1.0 seconds
    Cooldown: 3.0 seconds

Force a powerful Water column to spew up from the ground causing enemies to suffer Water damage equal to base magic damage plus 100% of weapon damage plus 3390.0. Has a 95% chance so slow enemy's speed by 40% for 8.0 seconds.

Demon version gives an extra 600 damage.

Wizard: lvl 92 Spirit: 1 500 000 Coin: 1 500 000
    Demon Will of the Phoenix Level 11
    Range: 10 meters
    Mana: 445.0
    Channel: 1.0 seconds
    Cast: 1.0 seconds
    Cooldown: 8.0 seconds

Launches a burning phoenix to attack all the enemies in a straight line 18.0 meters in front of you and knock them 18.0 meters back. Inflicts Fire damage equal to base magic damage plus 100% of weapon damage plus 5395.0.

Demon version has area of effect increased by 50%.

The sage versions have NO additional damage added
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Why did you bring up the sage/demon effects, did I miss something?
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Just responding to Haize's flaming, where he's refrencing his "maxed skills" and can't figure out why GS is only showed at lev 7 in my previous post. Also a response to his statement that his pyrogram\Gush\pheonix all do the same dmg for him...
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Because Gush/Pyro get an upgrade, Phoenix doesn't because the book is hard to get. Hence; the damage is similar.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    So...the pheonix spell is not "maxed"?
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    So...the pheonix spell is not "maxed"?

Probably not, as someone mentioned, the book is hard to obtain. Furthermore, pretty sure haiz is sage anyways. I agree with him though about keeping my distance. Yea in theory will of the phoenix does more damage, but in most pvp situations I'd prefer the distance. PvE, especially bosses, phoenix would be better. But, I don't have mine maxed even so gush and pyro it is :p
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Probably not, as someone mentioned, the book is hard to obtain. Furthermore, pretty sure haiz is sage anyways. I agree with him though about keeping my distance. Yea in theory will of the phoenix does more damage, but in most pvp situations I'd prefer the distance. PvE, especially bosses, phoenix would be better. But, I don't have mine maxed even so gush and pyro it is :p
    ......you didn't max phoenix?
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ......you didn't max phoenix?

Think I have it at like level 3, I only really use it for the knockback, and rarely at that. I supposed I should level it but I always find something else I'd rather spend my sp on.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Think I have it at like level 3, I only really use it for the knockback, and rarely at that. I supposed I should level it but I always find something else I'd rather spend my sp on.
    Ah. I got it to 9 around 72ish and maxed it this level, and yeah, I consider it one of my most important PvE spells. I'd advise everyone to level it over Snare/FoW/2nd ult etc.
  • Prof - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i wouldn't even consider leveling phoenix until after 8x when sp is endless. it's only use, for me and as well as others, is to push back. maxing it early wouldn't be recommended. especially over things like force of will, i'd gladly take that over will of the phoenix.

and, nobody can get level 92 skill books; they're from fb109(or later rooms in cube, which are untranslated).
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i wouldn't even consider leveling phoenix until after 8x when sp is endless. it's only use, for me and as well as others, is to push back. maxing it early wouldn't be recommended. especially over things like force of will, i'd gladly take that over will of the phoenix.

and, nobody can get level 92 skill books; they're from fb109(or later rooms in cube, which are untranslated).
    Considering phoenix makes sure you don't get hit by melee and magic mobs, I use it once every mob. Definately worth it to me. Glacial Snare seems like a pointless skill, considering you can't max it till late and the cooldown makes it even worse. I can't imagine the damage being much better than other skills either, considering water mastery isn't worth it early on. FoW is nice but I'll leave it alone till my fire/earth masteries are max, which should be soon enough.
  • Krel - Heavens Tear
    Krel - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    will of pheonix is a knock back and yes need to be so in pvp because really its kinda lame for it not to do what it should do and will give us paper class/or even LA class a great edge vs physical players.
    I luv my luvsalotb:dirty

Fear Me:I will and can unleash my true demon forum troll from at anytime..so beware.

Im A wizzie with godly looks and your all jealousb:bye
  • Prof - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i can't seem to quote for some reason, so bare with me(bb isn't working either);

"Considering phoenix makes sure you don't get hit by melee and magic mobs, I use it once every mob." - force of will does the same thing, but cancels their ability to attack and makes them run away. a vital tool to success, in my opinion.

"Definately worth it to me." - i'm not questioning its worth, but it always has a 10 meter range. gimps its usefulness.

"Glacial Snare seems like a pointless skill, considering you can't max it till late and the cooldown makes it even worse." - glacial snare is the deadliest normal nuke there is, though leveling it early is not advisable. other skills can be leveled in its stead to deal plenty of damage.

Glacial Snare Level 10
    Range: 28.5 meters
    Mana: 382.5
    Channel: 2.5 seconds
    Cast: 1.8 seconds
    Cooldown: 15.0 seconds
    Requisite Cultivation: Master of Coalescence

Launch multiple ice arrows at the enemy to trap them in an ice prison causing Water damage equal to base magic damage plus 300% of weapon damage plus 4880.1. Has a 92% chance to slow enemy's speed by 80% for 6.0 seconds.

Sandstorm Level 10
    Range: 28.5 meters
    Mana: 337.5
    Channel: 2.5 seconds
    Cast: 1.5 seconds
    Cooldown: 6.0 seconds
    Requisite Cultivation: Aware of Discord

Project a powerful wave of sand onto a target. Inflicts Earth damage equal to base magic attack plus 300% of weapon damage plus 4288.4 and decreases enemy's accuracy by 50% for 10 seconds.

"I can't imagine the damage being much better than other skills either, considering water mastery isn't worth it early on." - it's worth it, just not right away.

"FoW is nice but I'll leave it alone till my fire/earth masteries are max, which should be soon enough." - i don't see the point, it's one of the most vital tools we have in pvp.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    "Considering phoenix makes sure you don't get hit by melee and magic mobs, I use it once every mob." - force of will does the same thing, but cancels their ability to attack and makes them run away. a vital tool to success, in my opinion.

"Definately worth it to me." - i'm not questioning its worth, but it always has a 10 meter range. gimps its usefulness.
    Phoenix pushes them away rather than making them run... only difference is that the skill is cheaper SP/money-wise, and Phoenix does damage. They still have different uses in PvP, though. And the range doesn't bother me, really. I would if the amount of ranged physical mobs were bigger, but there really aren't any worth mentioning around 7x.
    "Glacial Snare seems like a pointless skill, considering you can't max it till late and the cooldown makes it even worse." - glacial snare is the deadliest normal nuke there is, though leveling it early is not advisable. other skills can be leveled in its stead to deal plenty of damage.
    Well, personally I'm not going to level it till earth/fire mastery, FoW and maybe even Dragon are up-to-date. I just don't see the need for it until you can get it to like lv8 in one go. Because of the lack of water mastery (not gonna touch that for gush only) and the fact that it'd still be underleveled, Sandstorm and Phoenix are much better for damage. I generally get close to other magic users and archers anyway. As far as I've noticed in pk, spamming fast skills is more effective.
    "FoW is nice but I'll leave it alone till my fire/earth masteries are max, which should be soon enough." - i don't see the point, it's one of the most vital tools we have in pvp.
    yeah, 1v1 pvp. Which I rarely do, so meh, I rather boost my damage slightly, considering my LA build already makes me weaker.
  • Prof - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Phoenix pushes them away rather than making them run... only difference is that the skill is cheaper SP/money-wise, and Phoenix does damage. They still have different uses in PvP, though. And the range doesn't bother me, really. I would if the amount of ranged physical mobs were bigger, but there really aren't any worth mentioning around 7x.
    i think you're about that level when you have to fight those 74~75 physical mobs in the forst of haze. i remember them hitting no less than 400 on my squishy self, archer was taking 300~? idk. when you use force of will on them, they run away very fast. even if you have it at a low level, it sends them very far away.

Well, personally I'm not going to level it till earth/fire mastery, FoW and maybe even Dragon are up-to-date. I just don't see the need for it until you can get it to like lv8 in one go. Because of the lack of water mastery (not gonna touch that for gush only) and the fact that it'd still be underleveled, Sandstorm and Phoenix are much better for damage. I generally get close to other magic users and archers anyway. As far as I've noticed in pk, spamming fast skills is more effective.
    water mastery isn't gush only, glacial snare is a beast. even as a magic user, that spell doesn't tickle. i'll say that leveling black ice dragon right now would kill you, especially if you are already trying to max an ult(like blade tempest). i've noticed personally, because of its half-physical attribute, it deals quite a bit more damage to normal monsters as well as players. very deadly indeed. but, fyi, if you're raising your fire mastery for it, it wont affect for very much.

yeah, 1v1 pvp. Which I rarely do, so meh, I rather boost my damage slightly, considering my LA build already makes me weaker.
    i use it in mass pvp whenever it cools down. it saves my squads life as well as mine. just like distance shrink, this is one of those tools that makes pvp do-able.

i'm going going to question your pk ability, but choose phoenix over force of will seems more like a way of a pve-dominance? which i'll say is understandable, leveling your pve-skills to maintain the ability to level efficiently.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    pure wizzies rock

sorta
  • Tsukaine - Heavens Tear
    Tsukaine - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    add elemental pets b:victory would be awesome but not realistic...
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i think you're about that level when you have to fight those 74~75 physical mobs in the forst of haze. i remember them hitting no less than 400 on my squishy self, archer was taking 300~? idk. when you use force of will on them, they run away very fast. even if you have it at a low level, it sends them very far away.
    I used something like.. sandstorm-gush-pyrogram-phoenix-stone rain on most of them, I only got hit if gush failed to slow. Never felt the need for Snare/FoW there. And yeah, I did see some random robe wizard opening with glacial snare, but he didn't kill faster than I did, and got hit more often. Didn't seem effective to me, though he didn't use FoW. Considering the cost of those two compared to Phoenix? Meh.
    water mastery isn't gush only, glacial snare is a beast. even as a magic user, that spell doesn't tickle. i'll say that leveling black ice dragon right now would kill you, especially if you are already trying to max an ult(like blade tempest). i've noticed personally, because of its half-physical attribute, it deals quite a bit more damage to normal monsters as well as players. very deadly indeed. but, fyi, if you're raising your fire mastery for it, it wont affect for very much.
    Gush damage is low, so mastery wouldn't do much, and I'm ignoring Dragon for a few more levels. Raising a third mastery for just one expensive and replacable skill feels like a waste. Fire Mastery is worth it to me because of Pyro, DPyro, Phoenix and BT. DB too I guess, but I don't really zhen. I use my fire skills often.