Should a "Wizard Class Improvement Patch" were announced to be released...

convectus
convectus Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
which issues would you like to see addressed, and how would you solve them?
Post edited by convectus on

Comments

• Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Make Crown of Flames, Pitfall, Hailstorm, and the aoe that takes 1/2 life useful and viable. Based on wep dmg, MUCH wider AOE or decreased cool down as well as some way to make sense out of going into a group of mobs, sacrificing half your hp, and drawing aggro from everything around you.

Essential Sutra currently is overriden by red ball, its effect should instead replace red balls.
    Frost Blade should increase MAG dmg instead of Phys, or BOTH.
    Morning Dew should have a MUCH decreased channel\cast time. Appox 2 secs sounds right.
    Increased INT should increase mag res MUCH MUCH more than it does.

Also wiz's should come into thier power much lower level than 89!!!!
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Make Crown of Flames, Pitfall, Hailstorm, and the aoe that takes 1/2 life useful and viable. Based on wep dmg, MUCH wider AOE or decreased cool down as well as some way to make sense out of going into a group of mobs, sacrificing half your hp, and drawing aggro from everything around you.

Essential Sutra currently is overriden by red ball, its effect should instead replace red balls.
    Frost Blade should increase MAG dmg instead of Phys, or BOTH.
    Morning Dew should have a MUCH decreased channel\cast time. Appox 2 secs sounds right.
    Increased INT should increase mag res MUCH MUCH more than it does.

Also wiz's should come into thier power much lower level than 89!!!!
    Wholeheartedly Seconded!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Phsyco - Lost City
    Phsyco - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Agreed and here's another one. Will of Pheonix should actually knockback the target...
  • Andoyuu - Heavens Tear
    Andoyuu - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Wellspring quaff should be able to buff other players besides yourself
  • Xenesis - Lost City
    Xenesis - Lost City Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    b:victory lvl 90 + wiz ftw
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Agreed and here's another one. Will of Pheonix should actually knockback the target...
    It does. Just not in pvp, because that would be stupid. You could get any other magic user killed by pushing them into melee range of a boss, etc.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    atleast make it work in tW
  • Mosa - Harshlands
    Mosa - Harshlands Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    one can only wish but am not throwing any money in a mage improvement patch cuz its so confusing first you suck then get good then become suckish then suck more them become OP then suck a whole lot more then (spousdly get balanced)...

as I sais confusing..
    formerly known as mosabi-heaven's tear..

you know that wizard that kicked your **** b:victory..

now I just own wizards at the new servers b:victory
  • Deathsscion - Sanctuary
    Deathsscion - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited March 2009

Barbs and BMs won't be happy about that. You can keep knocking them back and they won't even bother raising their weapons against us. We should definately add that.b:pleased
  • Zdolnoc - Sanctuary
    Zdolnoc - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    one can only wish but am not throwing any money in a mage improvement patch cuz its so confusing first you suck then get good then become suckish then suck more them become OP then suck a whole lot more then (spousdly get balanced)...

as I sais confusing..
    STFU and GTFO Mosa. We get it, you used to be a wiz and now you "pwn" on Harshlands as a cleric. Well I've played every char except an archer and yes they have great pros, but they've all still got cons. And I've yet to find a cleric that can outdamage me. So get your **** on over to the cleric forums and **** about something relevant to them.
  • Deathsscion - Sanctuary
    Deathsscion - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Mystic has stopped insulting wizards and now we have a replacement. Mosa.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Imo, if we're going to get a patch, first make it so that our Gush/Pyrograms aren't animation/element changes of Cyclone and Plume Shot.
    Its silly that a cleric's most used skill has the same damage (and more with plume shot) as our starter skills.

Its also not too encouraging that Wield Thunder does almost the same damage as Sandstorm.

Nor Tempest being only several hundred damage difference from our fully maxed dragon.
    A cleric can do what we can do, and still be useful in other ways.

Our damage needs to go up first. That, imo is the most important.
  • Mosa - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    Imo, if we're going to get a patch, first make it so that our Gush/Pyrograms aren't animation/element changes of Cyclone and Plume Shot.
    Its silly that a cleric's most used skill has the same damage (and more with plume shot) as our starter skills.

Its also not too encouraging that Wield Thunder does almost the same damage as Sandstorm.

Nor Tempest being only several hundred damage difference from our fully maxed dragon.
    A cleric can do what we can do, and still be useful in other ways.

Our damage needs to go up first. That, imo is the most important.

my point exactly and everyone am on your sideb:sad

am not flaming and am not a cleric am just saying that yeah this game needs to work on wizards a bit more thats all....

• Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The most needed changes need to be either an increase in overall damage to nearly every spell we have, a decrease in our absurdly long casting times compared to other classes, or some combination of the two.

Other than that, good points have been brought up. Emberstorm is useless, lack of viable aoe's, cookie cutter spells, RB canceling sutra.

One final point. I'd like the 6 seconds of no channel time from sutra to actually be 6 seconds. Currently you can set up a combo to have exactly 6 seconds of channel time, yet you will not get all of those spells off. Might be lag, but I think it actually is caused by a delay from the animation of the spells. You cast X spell, but its animation takes longer than the amount of channel time of said spell, causing you to lose time on your sutra.

My 2cp.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Hailstorm is useful in TW when you have wbs who like to rush past everyone. Mages need a reliable stun more than anything imo.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosa - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    The most needed changes need to be either an increase in overall damage to nearly every spell we have, a decrease in our absurdly long casting times compared to other classes, or some combination of the two.

Other than that, good points have been brought up. Emberstorm is useless, lack of viable aoe's, cookie cutter spells, RB canceling sutra.

One final point. I'd like the 6 seconds of no channel time from sutra to actually be 6 seconds. Currently you can set up a combo to have exactly 6 seconds of channel time, yet you will not get all of those spells off. Might be lag, but I think it actually is caused by a delay from the animation of the spells. You cast X spell, but its animation takes longer than the amount of channel time of said spell, causing you to lose time on your sutra.

My 2cp.

Calibix hit the nail in the head....and I said it before and I will say it again we need either more damage or less channeling cuz between the two the wizard is just doesnt cut off but I think its hard seeing how mages get good or balanced to other classes so I guess the devs get confused there...

• Hidden - Lost City
    Hidden - Lost City Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    they need to redesign emberstorm. make it an instant cast spell, that lowers ur hp to 0% dealing a ton of aoe dmg. suicide skill ftw. so many times we just KNOW we are gonna die, would be so much fun to click a button and take someone with me.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    lol mage=suicide bomber b:shocked
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    I agree with the damage output thing.. archers have a higher damage output, along with the ability to stun/tank. Would be nice if that could be compensated.

And yeah, Sutra sucks for me too. I rarely get 4 decent spells off due to lag. It's been said that DPyro-Snare-Sandstorm-DPyro is the best option, but I've never managed to do that. DPyro-Stone Rain-Sandstorm-DPyro works, but only half the time.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    The DP\SS\SR\DP combo is only viable around the 60's. When SS begins doing more dmg than DP, it needs to be switched to SS\DP\SR\SS for best dmg output.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    No, the reason why dp is prefered is because it's cast time is low, whereas Sandstorm's cast time is higher.
    The point is to find hard hitting spells that have low cast times to take full advantage of sutra's 0 channeling.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    I'm familiar with the concept.

Intent is MOST dmg over 6 seconds. Realistically that time period is closer to 5.5 including graphical lag.

All Spells Level 10 and Char Lev 75. (Except GS, lev 7)

Combination 1
    DP Base +300%+ 2994.7
    SS Base +300%+ 4288.4
    DP Base +300%+ 2994.7
    GS Base +255%+ 3879.6
    Total Casting Time 5.3
    Total Basex4 + 1155% + 14157.9

Combination 2
    SS Base +300%+ 4288.4
    DP Base +300%+ 2994.7
    SR Base +200%+ 2119.4
    SS Base +300%+ 4288.4
    Total Casting Time 5.4
    Total Basex4 + 1100% + 13690.9

Combination 3
    DP Base +300%+ 2994.7
    SS Base +300%+ 4288.4
    DP Base +300%+ 2994.7
    SR Base +200%+ 2119.4
    Total Casting Time 4.9
    Total Basex4 + 1100% + 12397.2

An arbitrary number for Base Dmg and Wep Dmg 200, and 2000 respectively, this number only matters for illustrating the dps, as they will change constantly.
    Combination 1
    (200x4 + 1155%x2000 + 14157.9)/5.3
    (800+23100+14157.9)=38057.9 /5.3=7180.7
    Combination 2
    (200x4 + 1100%x2000 + 13690.9)/5.4
    (800+22000+13690.9)=36490.9 /5.4=6757.6
    Combination 3
    (200x4 + 1100%x2000 + 12397.2)/4.9
    (800+22000+12397.2)=35497.2 /4.9=7183.1

Best possible combination (if you are level 75) is DP>SS>DP>GS
    Due to graphical lag, it usually takes LONGER than the 5.3 to cast and misses the Sutra window. It CAN be done, but is not frequently done.

2nd combination (if you are level 75) is SS>DP>SR>SS
    Though it should take .1 second longer than Combination 1, this combination usually can be fit in the Sutra window, assumption that the graphical lag is less?

3rd combination DP>SS>DP>SR
    This one ALMOST ALWAYS fits into the Sutra window, unless you miskey or are lagging badly and is best if you are lower level than 75 and can not get your skills all up to level 10. While this has the highest DPS it is least effective in the 5.5 second window because it does not utilize it entirely or make the largest dmg spike.

Combinations 2 and 3 have different effective uses and times. Those situations are usually clear, when your working a boss long term, combination 3 gives the highest possible DPS. When working to kill someone in PvP Combination 2 is usually the best, same for killing a normal Mob. Elemental dmg is also considered when casting against a mob\boss.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    All Spells Level 10 and Char Lev 75.

GS Base +300%+ 4880.1
    Just for the record.. Snare can't be maxed until 85.
  • Cyanea - Lost City
    Cyanea - Lost City Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    atleast make it work in tW

I believe knockback works in TW, on pets?
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Ah, thanks. I missed that piece. I did the math on that so long ago I forgot the level break on it.
    That makes its highest level 7 at lev 75

base + 255% wep plus 3879.6

And drops it's DPS for a few more levels.

Edited previous post to fix that number.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    I believe knockback works in TW, on pets?
    It always works on pets.
  • Azelyn - Heavens Tear
    Azelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    a wizard buff? I wish :D then again, I'm absurdly low level.
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Man you're all so fail with sutra. Learn to get 5 spells with it and **** some kiddies.

DP > Pyrogram > Gush > DP > we can say GS here because its hardest single target though I don't use it. Just for little damage calculations.

Gogo someone do the math.
  • Crazyhorses - Sanctuary
    Crazyhorses - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I agree, out of all the many magic user toons I have played in other games, this one has by far been the most nerfed and diffucult to play. There is no way a wizard in in game should have to wait till lvl 80's to come into their own powers. There is no way our spells should require so much HP, given that our HP lvls are so low. And for that matter the spells should not require so much chi. Especially in our own personal buff shields.

This admittedly is the first time I have ever contemplated quiting a magical toon I created. And the first time I have not enjoyed playing one in a game. I am very disappointed in what the devs have done with this class in this particular game.
  • Mosa - Harshlands
    edited March 2009
    yeah they hate us..b:bye