[Guide] Barbarian builds & tips

Options

Comments

• Tyraro - Sanctuary
    Tyraro - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Ack! Did they change the equipment requirements? I just hit 37 and can't use the new dual axes yet. They take 113 STR instead of the 110 listed. Oh well, I'll have to wait a level to upgrade.
  • AlpineFrost - Lost City
    AlpineFrost - Lost City Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Nah they didnt change anything, i just noticed that Dai's req chart is messed :(.

No offence to him or anything
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ex-Waffles Director
    ~Ragequit
  • Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear
    Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I would just like to say thanks for a really cool guide. This is like a bible too me. I have told ppl about this guide mostly barbs that are new to the game. off the record I hate when barbs tell me their states and say that they have put points into mana. If you have more then 5 you are not a true barb. We don
  • Distruptive - Sanctuary
    Distruptive - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    i've been building my barb to be a damage dealer the right way.In str,vit,and dex,, heavy armor , and average sharded to the max ,, but still i find my barb is missing something ,,,killing 60 mobs , and going through 30k of healing and mana pots ,, is what drives me nuts ,,, i'm i doing something wrong with my barb ,, or simply, that it's normal... my phy def is 4000 and phy att is 1200 to 3000..... just need to know if i'm doing it right........b:bye
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I have some questions about skills...

Roar - Why do you recommend this be maxed ASAP? Until the sage level it really has no large benefit from being at a high level... at most I use it to take aggro when something goes wrong and lots of mobs are pulled .. or I start off with this skill on a boss .. it has a long cast time which makes it not very useful in the middle of a fight and the amount of aggro it builds compared to flesh ream is not much .. I have it at level 2 or 3 atm and it is more than enough to pull aggro on multiple mobs and keep them off a healer until I can slap each one with a flesh ream

Frighten - I'm not sure what to make of this skill.. the effects are nice on bosses but I never really use it on anything else and I don't know if I should save the SP for attacks or level it up.. any input on this skill would be helpful

Poison Fang - Does anyone level this up relatively fast? It only helps vs mobs weak to wood it seems and I don't know if it is worth the sp

Strength of the Titans - How useful is this in tiger form? Should I put my sp into this or into axe and hammer mastery first?

Devour - Now everyone seems to not like leveling this skill but it seems really useful to me.. yea it has a high chi cost and doesn't build as much aggro as flesh ream... but I dunno about you guys but most of my time in game isn't spent tanking boss after boss after fb after fb .. I spend it grinding.. and that chi is easily rebuilt soloing and you don't really need the aggro.. the damage is nice at the phys def reduction helps mobs drop faster

and lastly.. just a general question about a status ailment I see that can be added on the sage version of some skills.. what is freeze? does that mean the mob just stops moving but can still attack? in which case that seems only marginally useful if you are trying to run away from a mob .. or does freeze stop attacks as well
  • scandinavia
    scandinavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    A very useful guide, sir.

I learned a lot about tanking by reading this.
  • homerho
    homerho Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Nice guide but i dun understand sthb:sad The lv20 wep after doing fb19 requires 61 str, 15 dex, not 60 str , 15 dex. Besides that, i noticed that some of the requirements u stated are a little wrong?b:surrender
    Btw, what is aggro?
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I have some questions about skills...

Roar - Why do you recommend this be maxed ASAP? Until the sage level it really has no large benefit from being at a high level... at most I use it to take aggro when something goes wrong and lots of mobs are pulled .. or I start off with this skill on a boss .. it has a long cast time which makes it not very useful in the middle of a fight and the amount of aggro it builds compared to flesh ream is not much .. I have it at level 2 or 3 atm and it is more than enough to pull aggro on multiple mobs and keep them off a healer until I can slap each one with a flesh ream
    Higher level gives better aggro. Ofcourse not comparable to fleash ream. Level as and when you can. Mines still at Lvl1.
    Frighten - I'm not sure what to make of this skill.. the effects are nice on bosses but I never really use it on anything else and I don't know if I should save the SP for attacks or level it up.. any input on this skill would be helpful
    Ive got mine at lvl1 and use it as a means to recover chi when needed at a boss. The DR is an added benefit but in daily grinding I dont wanna aggro 12 mobs at once. Again, level as and when you can.
    Poison Fang - Does anyone level this up relatively fast? It only helps vs mobs weak to wood it seems and I don't know if it is worth the sp
    I've been maxing mine. It adds 30% wood dmg at lvl10. The wood damage is added on all mobs, its just that the earth mobs are weak to it and really feel its effect. On other mobs it does make a significant contribution to damage (despite their wood defense being higher) to the point that I can tell when the buff has worn off simply by the added time it takes to kill. I'm told it works only in tiger mode though.
    Strength of the Titans - How useful is this in tiger form? Should I put my sp into this or into axe and hammer mastery first?
    Strength of the titans is great to have to improve your damage and that of any physical DD in your party. I would however level axe and hammer first, purely due to the greater damage boost. Try and level both.
    Devour - Now everyone seems to not like leveling this skill but it seems really useful to me.. yea it has a high chi cost and doesn't build as much aggro as flesh ream... but I dunno about you guys but most of my time in game isn't spent tanking boss after boss after fb after fb .. I spend it grinding.. and that chi is easily rebuilt soloing and you don't really need the aggro.. the damage is nice at the phys def reduction helps mobs drop faster
    True, but after lvl59 you're gonna be wanting to save chi as much as possible so you can regularly use sunder (2sparks) and save on pots/heiro. So at later levels its not so frequently used. Against bosses its pointless also since you gonna be spamming fleshream to maintain aggro, and the venos pet probably has a similar skill to lower pdef anyways.

Ack! Did they change the equipment requirements? I just hit 37 and can't use the new dual axes yet. They take 113 STR instead of the 110 listed. Oh well, I'll have to wait a level to upgrade.

Yeah the stats aren't exact, but they bloody close. What you wanna be spoon fed, spoilt little brats? b:laugh
    Determining stats is real easy imho. Just plan for over the next ten levels. For e.g. at lvl37 I got a new weapon. Now for lvl47 I need another 36 str and 8 dex (just making these figures up), so Id add 4 str each level for 9 levels, 1 dex each level for 8 levels. Over the 10 levels I will add 6 points into vit.
    Sorted! b:pleased
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Alecsys - Sanctuary
    Alecsys - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Hi guys... i have about 6-7 days since i joined PWi... first started an archer but i like more tanks :X... the thing i dont get is the stats build. Im curently lvl 11 and i have 35 vit, 23 str, mag 5, Dex 7. What i dont get is how u put dex/str at weapon/armours requirement... Can i just go to the Blacksmith and look at requirement for dual hammers as i noticed that this weps ask the most str and dex or is another way? pls reply fast cause i dont want to do mistakes so i'm playing archer until i get my answer.

Regards and anticipated thanks.
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    thanks for the input.. but why'd you quote my text asking about freeze and talk about stats? that confused me o.O
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Well first you chose whether you wanna go hammers or axes and duals or poles. Once you have selected the weapon of your choice, check requirements at the blacksmith or you can go here --->http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/

And then plan for the next 10 levels. b:victory

At very low levels (under 20) I suggest dual hammers which will need more Str (more phy def)and since not a lot of dex, you have some points spare for vit. After you get the FB19 weapon (ubercool poleaxe) you can use it to lvl30+, then decide between the axes or hammers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • homerho
    homerho Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I recommend that u look at the weps which quests will give u as u go on as i noticed the stats of the weps given by the quests are better than the ones u buy at npc stores or the avg ones u manufacture, of the same lvl

BTW, what is aggro?
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    aggro is aggression.. and as a tank you want to keep and maintain aggro

when you have aggro on a boss that means the boss is focusing attacks on you... bleed skills and roars help build threat or hate.. whatever you wanna call it.. the person with the most threat on a mob has its aggro
  • LionsDen - Sanctuary
    LionsDen - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    good build guide thanks!
  • Bolinhas - Lost City
    Bolinhas - Lost City Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Best Info Ever, Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Liquid_smoke - Heavens Tear
    Liquid_smoke - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Hey i was wonder wat skills should i max cause i didnt c it in the guide.
  • RoTiger - Sanctuary
    RoTiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Awesome guide..Thank You b:thanks
    edited February 2009
    Options
    thanks for the input.. but why'd you quote my text asking about freeze and talk about stats? that confused me o.O

Heheh, misquoted you. Sorry about that, my bad b:embarrass.
    Now fixed. b:avoid b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diesel27
    diesel27 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    hey man i was reading the forum of ur threat nice man and ty but i wanna know can the barbs lvl alone if they want to and how does the stats work i did not understand it i only put str to my ax are hammer that enuff i got that part and 1 dex per lvl but what im saying is do i go 3str 1dex 2vit u know like that my example what i do in that situation plz break it down for me plz man ty so much have nice day and im new to the game. hope to see u some and get to lvl with u and duel u but im to make it easyer what im saying is each lvl how do i put the points 2str 1dex 2vit idk bro plz can u telll me ty
  • Lcewolf - Lost City
    Lcewolf - Lost City Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Very,very awesome guide! Perfect
    Lvl 16 Barbarian-Sacrifice
    Lvl 31 Venomancer-Waffles

I'm going to join Dreamweaver and see how it goes!

RETIRED... Ask MagicZ
  • Tanagath - Lost City
    Tanagath - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Nice guide.
    I would like to now if my character will do OK or if he is now trash-I'm level 13 and I have 31 vit,31 Str,5 Mag and 13 Dex.
    Biggest accomplishment:Critting 2156,aggroing 30 Mobs from FB19 and not losing half of my HP,Having a +2 Xeno's Sledgehammer with 2 socekts,wich I bought in AH b:victory.
  • Nomaad - Heavens Tear
    Nomaad - Heavens Tear Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Thanks for the great guide, Dai! I've been using it since my early/mid 40's and it has been invaluable! Keep up the great work! b:victory
  • _Freerunner_ - Heavens Tear
    _Freerunner_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Thanks for the awsome guide Dai, i been usin it since lvl 1 b:victory
    Would've been kinda lost without it b:laugh
  • The_Wall - Heavens Tear
    The_Wall - Heavens Tear Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I can't believe IamNobita has the exact same Barbarian strategy as myself. From build to which skills to get and when to get them. b:laugh

RAWR! I'm a tiger
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Oltar - Lost City
    Oltar - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    That helped out alot.
  • Ifuonlyknew - Heavens Tear
    Ifuonlyknew - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i feel like an idiot... ok so ive got

im trying for form c

vit-45
    str-49
    dex-14

and im a level 19, and a dual axe'r can anyone tell me exactly how much points i should do per level? b:shocked its driving me nuts and im getting confused sorry >.<
  • Freshkilla - Harshlands
    Freshkilla - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Well, the tanker build is just following the Gear Requirements for Dual Axes and Heavy Armor, with the remaining points going into Vitality. Check out the 2nd post of the guide for more details. Your stats are fine. Just focus more on your Str and Vit, less on Dex.

ahah im lvl 23 and my str is 87 wazzup doc XD
  • Methodman - Harshlands
    Methodman - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Awesome guide :D the specific points per level guide is a godsend

would like more info on skills though
  • Lonedweller - Harshlands
    Lonedweller - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Very well done. Must have taken you forever to do it. Congratz, excelent job!
    When death laughs in your face, laugh back, even if you don't get the joke.
  • Malego - Heavens Tear
    Malego - Heavens Tear Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    This is a very good guide. I did find one small flaw in it. At level 20 in the stat guide it says we should have 60 str. The fb 19 weapon requires 61.
    I am a barb that does not powerlevel, nor cash shop. I may not be the highest level, nor have the best gear. However unlike others, I know how to play.b:pleased