edited November 2008
    Very good topic, it will help me a lot thx ^^
    But only a question, you say where
    ''C. Tanker (Recommended Build)
    Armor: Heavy
    VIT = all points left over
    STR = follow equipment requirements
    DEX = follow equipment requirements''
    OK, in this build the str/ dex follow who equipment? the best armor or the best weapon?
  • heyne
    heyne Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I'm just curious, as a fledgling barb, why so much focus on Dual Axes? As mentioned above, Dual Hammers have more consistant, if slightly lower, damage, at the cost of slightly higher Str-requirements (same Dex, though).

So, what's up with that?
  • Dai - Heavens Tear
    Dai - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Wow, lots of posts here since I last checked. Sorry if I haven't replied b:surrender . I'll be updating this guide later on. It'll take awhile though, so don't expect anything soon.
    heyne wrote: »
    I'm just curious, as a fledgling barb, why so much focus on Dual Axes? As mentioned above, Dual Hammers have more consistant, if slightly lower, damage, at the cost of slightly higher Str-requirements (same Dex, though).

So, what's up with that?

Well, nearly all of the best weapons (specifically, the Twilight Temple ones) at higher levels are dual axes. Also, if you follow the dual axes requirements, you'll also be able to use any other axe/hammer. It's a matter of preference. Pole axes/hammers are good too since they have a faster attack rating.
  • heyne
    heyne Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Allright, thanks for the quick reply! I won't feel too bad about myself now for not using solely Dual Axes ;-)
  • bageren
    bageren Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Aren't Feral regeneration and Beast king's inspiration important when you tank?
  • Dai - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    Yes, I did say that you should always be buffed with Beast King's Inspiration in section "C. Tips on Using Skills" of the guide. Feral Regeneration isn't that important though because the HP regen you get from it is very little; it will barely make any difference while tanking. Also, HP regen is reduced by 75% when in combat mode.
  • zouldik
    zouldik Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    totally awesome thread
    i am starting these game with abarbarian char but i have aquestion and please dont tell me to look at your guide because i need astright answer b:chuckle

if i used my stat points every 2 lvls like these

vit = 6
    dex =2
    str =2

will my char be agood tanker ?

regardless of the gear (npc gear for example)

please answer it fast

and thanks for the great effort
  • Dai - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    That would make a great tanker build. However, you shouldn't follow that build completely every level. You'll need to add more Str to keep up with the latest weapon requirements. And it would be best to stop adding Dex when you reach around 60 Dex. You won't need anymore than that unless you're going for a PVP build.
  • zouldik
    edited November 2008
    That would make a great tanker build. However, you shouldn't follow that build completely every level. You'll need to add more Str to keep up with the latest weapon requirements. And it would be best to stop adding Dex when you reach around 60 Dex. You won't need anymore than that unless you're going for a PVP build.

you mean like

7 vit
    2 str
    1 dex

till lvl 60?
  • Dai - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    For a tank build, more like
    Every 2 levels:
    4-6 Str
    1 Dex
    remaining points on Vit

There is no exact build to follow every level because the weapon requirements differ a lot. And there isn't a "best build" either. The gears and skills are what matters more than base stats later on. All builds start with fulfilling the equipment requirements, and the rest of the points go to whatever you want.
    If you're going for a PVP build, then you would add more Str/Dex, less Vit. Or if you want to be a pure PVE tank and have no interest in PVP, then you would mostly focus on Vit.
  • zouldik
    edited November 2008
    thank you very much bro you really helped me alot

i will take your advice and but
    6 str
    3 vit
    1 dex
    every 2 lvls and again thanks very much b:pleased
  • Ichabob - Lost City
    Ichabob - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    so if possible I should be making those chi gaining items in the apothecary store?
  • Dai - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    so if possible I should be making those chi gaining items in the apothecary store?

Those are great to have when you get the 2 skills, Invoke the Spirit and Armageddon, at level 59+. Before that though, HP recovering and damage reduction apothecary items are better.

And I updated the guide to include AoE party tips in the Training section, as well as additional tanking tips at the very end of the guide.
  • svennie
    svennie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Very nice guid but i have a question about amulet, ring and necklace.

A barbarian tanker has a lot of physical defense. Is it a good thing to use phys def on these items too or preferable to use elment one for example?

Thx to give your opinion.
  • Dai - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    Well, it depends on what you are fighting. If you're fighting mobs or players that only do physical damage, then use physical def. items. And if you're fighting magic opponents, then equip elemental resistances. It's good to have both available b:pleased . If you're fighting both physical and magical, then heavy armor with elemental jewelry is best.
  • GolgothX - Heavens Tear
    GolgothX - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Well, it depends on what you are fighting. If you're fighting mobs or players that only do physical damage, then use physical def. items. And if you're fighting magic opponents, then equip elemental resistances. It's good to have both available b:pleased . If you're fighting both physical and magical, then heavy armor with elemental jewelry is best.

Thanx for your help ;)
  • Normalizer - Heavens Tear
    Normalizer - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'd just like to say this guide has been my "bible" since I started my barb. It's accurate and informative. I send everyone here that wants to know the best way to build their barb. I particularly like the suggestions for different fighting situations. Only thing I'd suggest is perhaps something on TW tactics.

Thanks for a really great guide and keep up the work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Just a note about the Str/Dex requirements for Tank Barb...

If you are planning to actually use the FB 19 Weap then you will need 61 Str at 19 or 20th level.
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • xx19braggo94xx
    xx19braggo94xx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    ty. not downloaded yet=( but i wana b a barbarian tanker=)
    ty helped lots!b:pleased
    braggo is here, so do not fear!
    I am the master!
    b:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angry
  • Mertag - Lost City
    Mertag - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    wow realy nice Guide ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Apocalypse - Lost City
    Apocalypse - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Dai, great job on this guide, I couldn't have done it better myself. I would like to add one thing though. After 6X, Alacrity of Beast becomes a pertinent part of any HH or FB party. One thing to note is that you SHOULD NOT level Alacrity over lvl7. Example, Lord of Percussion(Drum God), uses his AoE, or in solo mode his hard hitter, every 10 secs. lvl7 Alacrity of Beast cools down at 9.5 secs. Perfect set up for AoE intercept, now not every boss follows this pattern, but keeping it at lvl7 will give you a great feel on when to hit them. I think we all understand that each boss, for the most part, has a tell, but sometimes you may be just a little late, so keeping track of Alacrity cool down is a great measure of most AoE's.
  • killtoofast
    killtoofast Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    helllo
    i just got lvl 29 and got lots of new skills wonder what should i take
    i already learnt firestorm and spark eruption hope that wasnt a waste
  • istoptime
    istoptime Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Ok I have a question about maybe something I am missing. According to your equipment requirement list by level it seems if I put 3 str every level at 81 I wont be able to equip everything. At level 31 I would have Had to put 3 str in every level.

lvl str
    31 95 - That is 30 levels of me putting in 3 str so 90 str and then 5 from
    - - -- level 1. How come up to this point if you want to use the best
    - - - gear not just say do 6str 3vit 1dex in order to use the best equip

81 246 - using my build I will have 245 str at this level, and actually at level
    - - -- 79 I needed this much str so it makes reaching this goal that much
    - - -- harder.

Also you fall behind in dex. So at a certian level are we saying that you start relying on gear that gives + to a stat to meet a minimun requirement?
  • Dai - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    istoptime wrote: »
    Ok I have a question about maybe something I am missing. According to your equipment requirement list by level it seems if I put 3 str every level at 81 I wont be able to equip everything. At level 31 I would have Had to put 3 str in every level.

lvl str
    31 95 - That is 30 levels of me putting in 3 str so 90 str and then 5 from
    - - -- level 1. How come up to this point if you want to use the best
    - - - gear not just say do 6str 3vit 1dex in order to use the best equip

81 246 - using my build I will have 245 str at this level, and actually at level
    - - -- 79 I needed this much str so it makes reaching this goal that much
    - - -- harder.

Also you fall behind in dex. So at a certian level are we saying that you start relying on gear that gives + to a stat to meet a minimun requirement?
    Well, there's no need to follow those equipment requirements exactly for each level. A lot of times, you'll keep using the same equipment for many levels (such as Twilight Temple or Legendary gear). So you'll have time to increase your stats and plan it out before getting your next set of gears.

And you shouldn't fall behind in dex because the equipment requirements for dex are already so low. You'll just have to sacrifice some vit for str to equip the best axes, and then spend all your points on vit later. Gears with +bonuses are nice, but it's not necessary for meeting equipment requirements. I recommend getting gears with +vit/HP bonuses while spending stat points on fulfilling equipment requirements. That way, you can switch gears without worrying about losing those minimum reqs.
  • cragun
    cragun Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Me personaly started out adding 3 str and 2 dex per lvl the after lvl 20 adding all vit til 30. I think this is the best way to get through all those low lvl quest and shuch by making your attacks more accurate and a little more damage to boot. To make up for the Hp loss at lower lvl hp potion cost alot less there for it makes them cheaper to buy. By doing this i manged to get to lvl 22 in less than 3 days and only playing at 3 hour intervals... This is justa sugestion i have yet to get to 30 on this character right now only lvl 25. kinda paused it while i worked on my main... Let me know if this is a good stratgy or not it worked for me...
  • Inisharuj - Heavens Tear
    Inisharuj - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    thanks man i would be so lost without this :)
  • aaddron
    aaddron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Vary nice guide!
    IRTPTP <
    Can you figure it out.
  • Ved - Heavens Tear
    Ved - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    love the guide i look at it all the time for help building my barb! good job! b:victory
  • Kaitioto - Sanctuary
    Kaitioto - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2009

[*]You can try a hybrid build first (to level quickly), then move toward a tank build at higher levels (to survive in dungeons/TW/PVP), and lastly add a little more Dex before you reach max level (for PKing).[/list]
    i have been playing as the hybrid build so far and i have been wandering when you suggest going into tank build and when i should start adding the dex. i have absolutly no idea when to do what you said. b:cry