Pandora's PVP Wizard Guide

Options

Comments

• Envy - Lost City
    Envy - Lost City Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Heaven is useless on a mage. I have werefoxes in my guild. Period.

Heaven is just... ****. You do it for vigor but you don't even get that much vigor compared. Instead you lose the 50% bonus on earth barrier, you lose the casting speed bonuses (which are why you go Devil - not the damage bonus, which you are right about for once), and you get laughed at for the rest of your mage career for being an idiot.

In Conqueror, where there's no such thing as teamwork, I can understand. But in a real guild, foxes send vigor to mages, and we don't need angel :3

Sorry to break it to you pandora, but the guilds that arnt losing land dont have legions of werefoxes at there disposal sitting there feeding vigor to the mages as there personal vigor *****.
  • Dravion - Lost City
    Dravion - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    aww looks like pandora got really butthurt in his own thread b:pleased b:laugh

geez pandora just because you think you are an a pvp wizard expert doesn't mean you are. the fact that you are not lv 89+ means you don't know if heaven or hell is better for a mage , its basically your preference , same with hail storm. I will ,however, will say

1. you are still a good pvp wiazrd
    2. this is a pretty nice guide( so far)

also cool it with your ego , i mean dam its just a game. you should really get over yourself >_>
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Sorry to break it to you pandora, but the guilds that arnt losing land dont have legions of werefoxes at there disposal sitting there feeding vigor to the mages as there personal vigor *****.

Lol I know, I can only imagine the werefoxes running all over the map to find the mage just to send him vigor. Have you ever seen seen the werefox ultimate? It's rather decent. Not only does he have werefoxes slaving vigor for him but clerics are too busy healing him. I don't suppose he has a personal warrior slave who stuns anyone who gets near him?

Anyways to get back on topic, I really hope Pandora didn't say I lose 50% defense by going heaven, because if he did that means someone doesn't even know the full bonuses of heaven/hell. I only lose 30%, go do some more research since you actually have no experience in it. Casting speed bonus? Last time I checked stone rain casts faster with heaven. That spell is all that I need once it's upgraded.

I suppose we took level 2 land faster than BloodLust because we run around like headless chickens and kill things with brute force only, not because we have teamwork. Just so outsiders know, BloodLust has more high levels and are much better equipped than Conqueror, yet for some reason took longer to take level 2 land.b:bye I suppose teamwork can't possibly be involved.
  • Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    While hailstorm IS a remarkably disappointing AoE, I have found uses for it at level 10. With our last TW with RoC (A guild with LOTS of BM's and Barbs), I found that once they start to gang up on a target, I can just run up within the range of Phoenix, use a hailstorm, then use a phoenix. That would drop at least half of them who were in attack range.

(Note: This is assuming that both hailstorm and phoenix are both at level 10)

Otherwise, my only other comment is that I tend to use Stone-rain a lot more than sandstorm, and the only times I ever used Sandstorm in TW's is when I had a sutra charged.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Melodia - Lost City
    Melodia - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    While hailstorm IS a remarkably disappointing AoE, I have found uses for it at level 10. With our last TW with RoC (A guild with LOTS of BM's and Barbs), I found that once they start to gang up on a target, I can just run up within the range of Phoenix, use a hailstorm, then use a phoenix. That would drop at least half of them who were in attack range.

(Note: This is assuming that both hailstorm and phoenix are both at level 10)

Otherwise, my only other comment is that I tend to use Stone-rain a lot more than sandstorm, and the only times I ever used Sandstorm in TW's is when I had a sutra charged.

Sounds like the metagame on mages is different on HT.
    Originally Posted by Pandora - Lost City:
    Please understand that as full int, all an archer has to do is target you and roll his face on the keyboard and you are dead.

Words of Wisdom.
  • Innes - Lost City
    Innes - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Looking forward to the earth skill list.

Also, Crown of Flame does have a use at lower levels, though it's only PvE. It's the cheapest finishing move if something happens to have a little HP left, along with the fast casting speed.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Had a fun win against GuardianZ this TW, first TW where I really tried using dragon. It's level 5 while my Blade Tempest is level 9, and I must say the damage is impressive. I think it may become my new favorite doom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • Melodia - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Had a fun win against GuardianZ this TW, first TW where I really tried using dragon. It's level 5 while my Blade Tempest is level 9, and I must say the damage is impressive. I think it may become my new favorite doom.

The Ice Dragon spell or Dragon's Breath? (I guess Ice Dragon).

Yes.. its good against Heavy and lower LA users.. What stopped you from using it before? Channeling is too long?
    Please understand that as full int, all an archer has to do is target you and roll his face on the keyboard and you are dead.

Words of Wisdom.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The Ice Dragon spell or Dragon's Breath? (I guess Ice Dragon).

Yes.. its good against Heavy and lower LA users.. What stopped you from using it before? Channeling is too long?

Before I used Blade Tempest instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elementx - Lost City
    Elementx - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Agree, level blade tempest when u first get the 59 skills so u can have a physical dmg skill (sound like a good idea).
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    PVP skill handbook completed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Georgebush - Lost City
    Georgebush - Lost City Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    hmm lets all level to 89 and learn all the heaven/hell skills yay.
    if only PW was that easy to play and require less work right?
  • Melodia - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options

Yea, BT is reduced on HA by quite a bit and does fair dmg on LA. I did 2.7k dmg on Maguro with BT and mine is only level 2 or 3 and he's about 10 levels higher than me. But Ice Dragon is like your new BT on HA, it hurts them to hell.

Words of Wisdom.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    80s PVP added, and TW section is started as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    "Other Builds" section added under the The Builds section.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darknin - Lost City
    Darknin - Lost City Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    b:shockedPandora has been working hard lately.

Good jobb:victory

-reads new info-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    Aedril - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    It is a good practice to max out frostblade and give it to all the archers, warriors and werebeasts you see. I don't know exactly how much it helps them but the ones in my guild request it usually. At the very least it'll get you on their good side, which is a good thing because parties are essential for mages.

As far as your 80HH weapon, if you're robe I'd recommend the crit sword Ashura, and for light armor I recommend Endless Ambiguity. Ashura has a very nice pdef mod that robe users will adore, while Endless Ambiguity adds a whopping +165 HP which is spectacular for light armor. I am not a fan of the HH80 quoit because the damage is just about the same as Endless Ambiguity (it's a bit better but not by much) and it doesn't have the amazing HP modifier.

Frostblade is broken in PvP at the very least (I haven't had the time or effort to test in PvE yet, but i suspect it is broken there too), so all those people asking for it are complete noobs who just like their fists to glow blue. Feel free to give it to them anyways if it puts them on your good side, but don't waste your SP/gold upgrading this skill to L10, even if it is fairly cheap. The devs really need to fix this skill though, having our only buff skill broken sucks.

In your TT80 weapon section, I think you meant to say Yaksa, since you described Yaksa, but said Ashura. Just an FYI for you to make an edit, since Ashura is the L70 weapon you need to make L80 Yaksa.

Your TW section is spot on though, I have to give you tons credit for that.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Frostblade is broken in PvP at the very least (I haven't had the time or effort to test in PvE yet, but i suspect it is broken there too), so all those people asking for it are complete noobs who just like their fists to glow blue. Feel free to give it to them anyways if it puts them on your good side, but don't waste your SP/gold upgrading this skill to L10, even if it is fairly cheap. The devs really need to fix this skill though, having our only buff skill broken sucks.

In your TT80 weapon section, I think you meant to say Yaksa, since you described Yaksa, but said Ashura. Just an FYI for you to make an edit, since Ashura is the L70 weapon you need to make L80 Yaksa.

Your TW section is spot on though, I have to give you tons credit for that.

Ah, thank you. You can see I wasn't one of the privledged full int mages in the guild that recieved the offensive sword :p

Got stock with +11 con sword for HH70 Q_Q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elementx - Lost City
    Elementx - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Basically for builds--it comes down to what your fight style is, if you are fast and can coordinate yourself and keep far, then need more damage, if u want to be able to take some damage you go with the LA, or other builds.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xshinn
    xshinn Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    just ... Amazing...... b:victory
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    xshinn wrote: »
    just ... Amazing...... b:victory

Glad to help. Anything you'd like to see added to it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zunko - Lost City
    Zunko - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Pandora I love your guide 2 thumbs up.

But I'm still confused with your Light Armor style Wizard.

Is it worth wasting points into STR and DEX to equips Light Armor for more defence rather than increasing your damage?

And is the damage between a Light Armor Wizard and Pure INT Wizard a lot different?

I played Wizards in other MMO's, and Wizards focus everything on damage not defence because they dont plann to get hit, but I dunno it could be different in this game.
  • ballsy
    ballsy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Glad to help. Anything you'd like to see added to it?

Can you add in a section on how to 1 shot Deity?
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Pandora I love your guide 2 thumbs up.

But I'm still confused with your Light Armor style Wizard.

Is it worth wasting points into STR and DEX to equips Light Armor for more defence rather than increasing your damage?

And is the damage between a Light Armor Wizard and Pure INT Wizard a lot different?

I played Wizards in other MMO's, and Wizards focus everything on damage not defence because they dont plann to get hit, but I dunno it could be different in this game.

The reason for LA is not only defense, but crit as well.
    Wizards are damage dealers, and if not dealt with can cause chaos. With this in mind, it makes sense for physical classes to focus you, since you're a squishy little wizard. I've been LA to Robe to LA, and tbh, I won't be switching back to robes. You lose a little damage, but the crit rate you gain chalks up to near par with that of robes.

The main difference is survival... robes cost a LOT more to get up to the same pdef (and are more destructive for it) but if you're looking at equal funds, you're better off going for LA. The difference is being one-three shotted by any class hitting you with physical to surviving against 2-3 barbs 5-10+ levels above you (in my case at least). Yes, Wizards are meant to deal massive damage... but you can't really deal massive damage when you're dead, now can you?

Pandora may have other views about why to pick LA, but that's my two cents.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Melethiel - Lost City
    Melethiel - Lost City Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    LOL, LOLOL.

Pandora, your guide is awesome. It may be helpful to others going to wizard, but the intro just made me laugh. I'd give you a cookie if I could.

And yeah.. I prefer the MY-EN race names over PWI's..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war."
  • Xiphox - Lost City
    Xiphox - Lost City Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    LA is def the way to go lol
    Xipox-7X MG-LC-#3 in pvp rankings-b:pleased 3198 hp unbuffedb:victory
  • Aesis - Heavens Tear
    Aesis - Heavens Tear Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    First, yes I'm on HT. So if you want to flame or disregard anything I say, so be it.

..But I still say you have a really good guide. I won't go into a wall o text; I'll just say this is the first version of PW I've played, and I'm always looking for more insight on my class.

Regarding TW, I completely agree about sandstorm and distance shrink. I can only imagine how annoying it can be to fight a wiz who is constantly blinking away from you. Also, glad to hear Undine strike is as great as I thought it'd be. From reading its description I figured it was too good to be true, there had to be some hidden catch. But after watching your latest TW vid (yes, I watched it) and seeing what you said here, I can't wait to get these next few levels so I can nab it.

About armor, I stick to full int, so robes it is. I've made it a habit though for quite a while to only get equips that have additional P def, hp, or both. Not sure exactly how it compares with L. armor, but last time I was fully buffed I had a 51% P. res reduction.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The reason for LA is not only defense, but crit as well.
    Wizards are damage dealers, and if not dealt with can cause chaos. With this in mind, it makes sense for physical classes to focus you, since you're a squishy little wizard. I've been LA to Robe to LA, and tbh, I won't be switching back to robes. You lose a little damage, but the crit rate you gain chalks up to near par with that of robes.

The main difference is survival... robes cost a LOT more to get up to the same pdef (and are more destructive for it) but if you're looking at equal funds, you're better off going for LA. The difference is being one-three shotted by any class hitting you with physical to surviving against 2-3 barbs 5-10+ levels above you (in my case at least). Yes, Wizards are meant to deal massive damage... but you can't really deal massive damage when you're dead, now can you?

This post is very, very full of win. Good job Amy. Though, you're missing a few details on the damage bit.

There is no real reason to choose pure, to be honest. You shouldn't be PKing until 59, and after 59 you have Sutra which makes things even. At endgame, your weapons should be very well-refined and high-powered... meaning Pure's damage bonus is just excessive. You can kill things very easily with both subclasses.

"But what about Werebeasts? They have too much HP! I can't kill them with Light Armour!"

Well, yeah. They have a lot of HP. Usually 8-10k in "human" form(lategame). Both subclasses will have a hard time killing one of these. The difference is, LA has 6% more chance to crit. And a crit means a kill for a Wizard.

Pure's only advantage rests with levelling speed, and tanking ability against bosses. Though, I'd prefer to leave tanking to the WF and WB's to be honest.
    First, yes I'm on HT. So if you want to flame or disregard anything I say, so be it.

..But I still say you have a really good guide. I won't go into a wall o text; I'll just say this is the first version of PW I've played, and I'm always looking for more insight on my class.

Regarding TW, I completely agree about sandstorm and distance shrink. I can only imagine how annoying it can be to fight a wiz who is constantly blinking away from you. Also, glad to hear Undine strike is as great as I thought it'd be. From reading its description I figured it was too good to be true, there had to be some hidden catch. But after watching your latest TW vid (yes, I watched it) and seeing what you said here, I can't wait to get these next few levels so I can nab it.

About armor, I stick to full int, so robes it is. I've made it a habit though for quite a while to only get equips that have additional P def, hp, or both. Not sure exactly how it compares with L. armor, but last time I was fully buffed I had a 51% P. res reduction.

The damage reduction on LA at 75(with gear averaging two-star grade) is 52% selfbuffed, 59% with one other buff, and 64% fullbuffed. Compared to me, as opposed to the average, you take more damage than me fullbuffed than I do simply selfbuffed, as I've done a lil' extra work on my gear. In addition to this, there's extra crit rate. I find myself loving Light Armour much more than Robes now. Especially in TW where it saves my life("Kradlord deals 204 damage". Woot.).
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Ark, by the way, used to play a full int robe mage and VERY recently restatted to light, because of the test I'm about to explain.

To be honest, I was planning on restatting to full INT at 90. However, I have a full int mage (still full int for leveling) in my guild named dddddfunLOL, and he is the same level as me. So, to see the damage difference, we stripped all of our gear off, I shot undine then sandstorm for 2900, took my sword off, gave him my sword, he equipped it and then shot undine then sandstorm for 3100. There was a moment of silence, followed by him going "... What level is your mastery?"

My mastery was level 7, and his was level 10, making the damage difference based on int even smaller.

We were... Impressed at how little 100 int matters. So we gave it another go, on a different target.

... Same ****.

At this point, I am a firm believer that "full int rocks endgame!!!!!" is the same rumor that brought you "light mages suck until 90!!!!" and I have noticed this game is full of rumors about endgame that people buy into blindly because people say it and it turns out it's not true at all.

From what I can see, int on a wizard is a lot like str on a warrior. Yeah, you'll get a bit of extra damage, but it's so very minimal that light armor just overtakes it...

Despite how minimal the difference is, by the way, con sucks. Just throwing that out there, again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Ah, thank you. You can see I wasn't one of the privledged full int mages in the guild that recieved the offensive sword :p

Got stock with +11 con sword for HH70 Q_Q

I AM DEFINITELY NOT THAT FULL INT MAGE. NO SIR-EE. I've been aware of the results for the aforementioned test for a while now, and I'm pretty sure I'll be staying robe. It keeps staying the hell alive a lot more interesting for me, albeit yes I do envy the crit of LA (I stack crit with my pdef/hp).

Anyway, looking good so far with the updates. Some notes that may or may not matter/be worth mentioning:

-Morning Dew can temporarily out-heal a cleric with essential sutra up (it lets you cast it about 4 times instantly), which if you're in a situation where you could REALLY use two clerics and only have one, is a somewhat worthwhile use of spark if your tank is getting slaughtered and can't turtle for whatever reason. Beats having your party wipe, anyway. Even so, level ~3 or so is enough.

-Might want to address what the effect is of overleveling dragon's breath / fire mastery at lower levels. (You know, that you draw all the aggro in zhen parties and get killed; it happens to robes and lights alike).

-The fact that Frostblade affects Blade Tempest.

-Can't beat someone's hiero by yourself, but you can tick it in one shot? Not critting? Use a weaker skill that nearly ticks their hiero like one of the starting three, then try to finish them with sandstorm or snare. Works well for lower leveled mages attacking higher leveled players when they're below doom cult, or just WB/WR in general when you can't sutra.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
This discussion has been closed.