Pandora's PVP Wizard Guide

Comments

• Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It should stack because if you look at other class masteries, they give 2 or 3% crit with their one mastery. It kinda sucks that a wizard has to get all three masteries to match theirs. A venomancer tops the chart with 5%, warrior comes with 4% and a wizard can get 3%. Sadly barb, archer and cleric come last with 2% from masteries.

To the person who asked about necklace/belt having crit on those is not a reasonable option, as those are either non existent or too hard to obtain. A -channeling can work if you are light armor or heavy armor because you are missing some mdef and -channeling only comes on mdef jewelry. If you are robes though you should really only use pdef jewelry.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    ark wrote: »
    I would imagine they only work for each element. I'm not going to complain if they stack, but "+1% when using earth spells", for example, doesn't make it seem like it works for water and fire spells too.

.... And Mystic, 12% isn't easy, even for light mages. 12% means you have rings with 2% crit on them, and 2% crit rings aren't easy to come by, or to afford. It's easy to get 9%, and 10% at later levels... but getting a crit weapon and necklace in addition isn't much fun.

... to be perfectly honest, I prefer crit over chan because Wizards have sutra, and my guild can get potions that -100% your chan for 5 seconds. Don't need much more help in fast-casting.

I have 10% crit rate with a 2% crit ring and a 1% crit ring and a -3% channeling sword. 12% is ****ing easy. With the +7 agi bonus from my hh90 gloves I will have 11%, with another 2% crit ring I will have 12%. Without a crit rate sword.

And I'm using an equine talisman.

With a crit neck and a crit sword, you'd be able to get 15% or more in a typical light armor build wearing green HH90.

You're forgetting crit arrow and christmas blessing, I think.

And no, masteries are a straight 1% crit that effects all elements. One of the better reasons to consider going demon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The only decent reason i see to go heaven would be the wellspring quaff if i understood it correctly on ecatomb, but even then, it would be for a pve robe user imo...

*sends msg to pandora*

K pandora, harassed you again :D
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Yeah 12% crit can't possibly be hard. I have 6% at 59, without any +crit on ornaments/weapon. 2% crit rings would take it to 10, a little extra dex would get it to 11%. HH80 with crit and you're done.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Did you guys even read his post? He only said "2% crit rings aren't easy to come by" and they aren't. Of course you can get high crit with 2% crit rings, I have 7% as a pure int mage. When I tell light armor people I have as much crit as them they think wtf?

Oh, and have fun using an evasion necklace, I hope its worth the 1% crit.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I've seen like 3 in the auction house and I rarely check the 68+ rings. o-o
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    streaker wrote: »
    The only decent reason i see to go heaven would be the wellspring quaff if i understood it correctly on ecatomb, but even then, it would be for a pve robe user imo...

*sends msg to pandora*

K pandora, harassed you again :D

Careful, streaker.
    I almost "wanted to go" Heaven because of that.
    But the international skill description for wellspring quaff is very misleading.
    If you read the MY version, its actually 100% increase of magic attack for 15 seconds, much like the -20% channeling for hell's that lasts 15 seconds.

Careful! :P
  • streaker
    edited January 2009
    Lol, I've planned on hell since before I made my wizzy, and thanks for the clerification.

Just went over all skills for both paths on the my version too to see if that was the only one i didnt understand
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I have 10% crit rate with a 2% crit ring and a 1% crit ring and a -3% channeling sword. 12% is ****ing easy. With the +7 agi bonus from my hh90 gloves I will have 11%, with another 2% crit ring I will have 12%. Without a crit rate sword.

And I'm using an equine talisman.

With a crit neck and a crit sword, you'd be able to get 15% or more in a typical light armor build wearing green HH90.

You're forgetting crit arrow and christmas blessing, I think.

And no, masteries are a straight 1% crit that effects all elements. One of the better reasons to consider going demon.

So, a level 90 Light Armour mage. I thought you were talking about the majority of mages. Are there even any level 90+ light armour mages yet? Of course 12% is easy for light at 90+. I could've got 13-14%.

And, uh, good to have your word that the crits stack for Hell. It makes sense. Though, it'd be nice to know for sure. Let's see... that means Pure mages really can get 20% crit at 99. Fun.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • Tryangle - Lost City
    Tryangle - Lost City Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Are there any other sites that list skill information other than ecatomb? (I can't access it at work for some reason) 1perfectworld shows the spells, but doesn't give any details on them other than pyrogram and gush. I'm looking for something that shows the stats for each spell at each level, and also what the bonuses are for sage/demon. I can find them at home, but I'd rather kill time at work.
  • KarmaXIce - Sanctuary
    KarmaXIce - Sanctuary Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Are there any other sites that list skill information other than ecatomb? (I can't access it at work for some reason) 1perfectworld shows the spells, but doesn't give any details on them other than pyrogram and gush. I'm looking for something that shows the stats for each spell at each level, and also what the bonuses are for sage/demon. I can find them at home, but I'd rather kill time at work.

www.pwdatabase.com/pwi should have what your looking for. I think thats the right web address
    AndromedaB :"i was just wondering why the will of the phoenix doesn't work in duels"b:bye
  • Tryangle - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Yeah everyone gives pwdatabase as an answer to every question, but that site sucks. There is no skill information. There's nothing about sage/demon. Half of the molds have no information about where they drop. Most of the monsters that do have maps of where they are located is wrong.
  • Clara - Lost City
    Clara - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Morning Dew is not useless, I use it often when I am by myself killing mobs and sometimes clerics can get sidetracked when it comes to healing others. Not everyone uses charms, they can become too costly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Yeah everyone gives pwdatabase as an answer to every question, but that site sucks. There is no skill information. There's nothing about sage/demon. Half of the molds have no information about where they drop. Most of the monsters that do have maps of where they are located is wrong.

In PWdatabase try searching for the Sage/Demon skill you're after by adding a ? before the name, i.e. ?Sandstorm. You'll be given 2 options, A Sage version usually the first option(requires Aware of Myriad) and Demon(Requires aware of the void).
    I like pie
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Morning Dew is not useless, I use it often when I am by myself killing mobs and sometimes clerics can get sidetracked when it comes to healing others. Not everyone uses charms, they can become too costly.

I have found a use for Morning Dew and it's cube. But there is no other use than that besides the VERY rare point where you need to sutraheal a tank while a cleric resses someone ssential.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • streaker
    edited January 2009
    I use morning dew inbetween mobs just to save my charm for more important things, and for healing a cleric if they are almost down with no charm, level 2 works fine for me. Other then that... useless.
  • Tres - Lost City
    Tres - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I had a lvl 10 morning dew (no surprise since all my skills were maxed on oracle just waiting for their holy versions) And I could solo heal a good wb in HH with it lol b:byeb:byeb:byeb:bye
    Previous Character: Tres_Iqus 95 MG
    Current Character: Tres Cleric (See level above)
    Conqueror
  • Chaosteve - Heavens Tear
    Chaosteve - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    For a help on skills for all characters vist - http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php
    b:victory

Btw im a light build wiz / earth wiz with mastery earth lvl 10 :)
    Keep it kinky :P FTK!!!!
  • Optimeau - Heavens Tear
    Optimeau - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Great guide. I used it from lvl1.

I have no experience with PVP, but I know one thing is key the earlier levels, Kite!

2 skills that can keep you alive, but which I didn't level up (yet)
    Distance Shrink comes in at lvl29. I used it a lot to have mobs cancel their spell. it requires some excercise and timing though.

Will of the phoenix comes in at lvl39. Works great if a mob is close to you or fellow ranged squad member. Barbs/Venos/BMs won't like it though.

Morning Dew I use a lot to heal myself and others, but I keep it at lvl1. I am careful with my spirit points.

A wizard in early levels will (almost certainly) die when swarmed, so find a nice spot from which you attack your mobs. Especially where many mobs are being killed, so re-spawning, you don't want to be surrounded.

I am a mix between Light Armor and Robe build since lvl40. (70% mag, 20% dex, 10% str) If I find out that I really really need to get some Light Armor, then I would consider adding more strength again.

For a bit of extra attack power, especially when fighting archer mobs, I create attack charms from decomposed stuff.

cheers,
    Jaoptimeau (Titans Faction)
  • SilentToy - Lost City
    SilentToy - Lost City Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Great guide, Using it alot lately.

I got one question, When are archers going to start owning me totally?, Im LA build and I 2 hit every archer my level, (So far even 55s)

Cheers.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    When you finally start meeting a competent archer who doesn't slam his face on his keyboard everytime he tries to kill you.
  • Xerela - Heavens Tear
    Xerela - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    So much for that idea that I could roll an archer and roll my face on my keyboard to beat wizards. Wonder where that idea came from?
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    My mistake.
    I meant, an archer who doesn't roll their face on the monitor.
    That really achieves nothing.
    But an archer who rolls their face on their keyboard still has a fairly high chance to beating us. :(
  • SilentToy - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I really think that archers are overrated, I manage to beat archers all the time. Maybe it is just at my level?, Archers around level 50-60 got like 1500 - 2400 hp, And as far as I know they do around 400-500 damage if they don't crit, I myself do like 800-1000 damage with Sandstorm/Stone rain.Gonna edit when I got totally **** by an archerb:bye
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Well most archers should be stunning you, for one... and some skills like Aim Low are gonna do well over 400-500, lol. And they shouldn't be dying in two hits so easily anyway, they have shell to take away some of the damage, and a properly timed spark would waste the time you spent on casting sandstorm.
  • Tryangle - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    The problem with archers is generally you aren't waiting for everyone around you to pk you. So you get hit once, maybe twice before you locate who is attacking you. By the time you get a cast off they have hit you 2-4 more times, which means you will be dead. Considering they have a fairly high crit %, you probably won't even last that long. I don't generally get 1-shot by archers like I do from BMs, but I usually don't get a chance to even target them before I'm dead.

This game would be much easier for mages if the targeting system was a little better, like and auto-target nearest enemy or something, instead of having to swivel around and try to click on the guy while a monster is beating on you.

Being able to do tab-FoW-tab-Phoenix-tab-gush would do wonders, instead of click, **** clicked on the wrong guy, click...**** they're too close, I can't click the right mob. Click, got him. Cast...wait it cast at the wrong guy still.
  • SilentToy - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Well most archers should be stunning you, for one... and some skills like Aim Low are gonna do well over 400-500, lol. And they shouldn't be dying in two hits so easily anyway, they have shell to take away some of the damage, and a properly timed spark would waste the time you spent on casting sandstorm.

If the archers use a shell you just gush them once and then use distance shrink and then run away until the shell is gone, Thats what I do most of the time and it works real good.
  • Thelron - Lost City
    Thelron - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well*

_______
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    If the archers use a shell you just gush them once and then use distance shrink and then run away until the shell is gone, Thats what I do most of the time and it works real good.
    Gushing them once and blinking away gives them enough time to rip through most of your hp already if they're not just standing there. o_o Especially considering you'd probably outside of their minimum range.
  • dixienormous
    dixienormous Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i wanted to know what kind of shards thats best for pk should i put in my light armor. i just recently switched to light armor build

a reply from good pk wizards like pandora would be appreciated
This discussion has been closed.