Content Update PWI: Reflections

1234568»

Comments

• Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's a good question. In fact, TW scheduling has been this way since the very beginning of PWI. I would assume it was done to add an element of randomness to the whole thing, making it harder to team up against another faction, as well as harder to take the choice time-slots before anyone else. I'll investigate this further.

There is no randomness involved in TW scheduling. Time slots are filled up in the order of which bids are made with priority given to the faction with the most defenses. The first bid on the faction with the most defenses will be scheduled for 8:00 on Saturday. There is an added restriction that a faction cannot have a defense and attack scheduled simultaneously (unless all possible slots have been filled).

This is the priority of time slots which each slot holding up to 8 TWs (each offset by 3 minutes).

1. Saturday Evening 8:00PM
    2. Friday Evening 8:00PM
    3. Sunday Evening 8:00PM
    4. Saturday Afternoon 2:00PM
    5. Sunday Afternoon 2:00PM
    6. Saturday Morning 9:00AM
    7. Sunday Morning 9:00AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Ripokeke - Sanctuary
    Ripokeke - Sanctuary Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And I thought this thread is about Reflection content.

I would like to know Wat does the deep reflection timing and incoming means?
  • calmincense
    calmincense Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    calmincense asked:

4. If ganking is the goal, will there be the opportunity to also choose what day the atks will take place? seems logical for a gank

FrankieRaye answered:

It's a good question. In fact, TW scheduling has been this way since the very beginning of PWI. I would assume it was done to add an element of randomness to the whole thing, making it harder to team up against another faction, as well as harder to take the choice time-slots before anyone else. I'll investigate this further.

This really confuses me, if one of the reasons for restructuring the whole TW process is to create an environment in which we can have 7 way ganks, why would they want to make it harder to gang up on factions?

FrankieRaye asked:

What do you mean by people "bidding the same amount by force"?

A BID denotes an offer to pay a certain amount. When you sell things by BIDS then your goal is to get as many ppl as possible to bid and to try to outbid each other (in this case we won't know what others have bid). So you are telling us that we can only bid 10 mil, 20 mil, 30 mil etc... By doing this, the larger factions, knowing they will get their money back, will just throw in bids of, say, 10 BIG NOTES thus, effectively eliminating most smaller factions.

I foresee some issus arising from this, but I'm gonna play it out and try to work it to my faction's advantage and hopefully we'll all get it figured out, worked out and played out and have a LARGE time doing so.

seeler
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Barring some larger conflict a faction with 7 defenses will have them all on the same day. The only obstacle to that is finding 7 factions who are willing to bid and are capable of bidding on 7 different lands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • bob1962
    bob1962 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    it is hard for a new faction to come up with that much money just for a bid. it takes the fun out of new factions who r just trying to learn the game and have fun. please remove the min. bid so that all factions can have a chance at TW instead of just the old and rich groups that have been playing this for a long time.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2012

This really confuses me, if one of the reasons for restructuring the whole TW process is to create an environment in which we can have 7 way ganks, why would they want to make it harder to gang up on factions?

You're right, these most recent scheduling changes have been made to make defense harder in general, and to give more opportunity to factions without territory. Of course the increase of the bid price makes it harder for smaller factions to bid, which is why we're implementing the refund system.

A BID denotes an offer to pay a certain amount. When you sell things by BIDS then your goal is to get as many ppl as possible to bid and to try to outbid each other (in this case we won't know what others have bid). So you are telling us that we can only bid 10 mil, 20 mil, 30 mil etc... By doing this, the larger factions, knowing they will get their money back, will just throw in bids of, say, 10 BIG NOTES thus, effectively eliminating most smaller factions.

seeler

First off, the larger faction would be fake-bidding, which carries a pretty serious punishment if caught. Secondly, if a large faction makes a fake bid of 100 million coins, they'll still lose 10 million coins by doing so, which is equivalent to a week's worth of income from a level 3 territory.

This is not to say that they 100% wouldn't still do it, but there are definitely large risks and drawbacks to doing so that would make them think twice about it.
  • scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ok, on reflection ( i make a pun), using the only server I know as an example which is RT, the 7 way gank change doesn't work. For the simple reason, there aren't even 7 serious Twar factions on that server.

Sure there are a lot of factions who will grab land when its PVE Twars, but once the PVP Twars start up proper, most of those factions wont defend their lands and wont try to take new ones, leaving about 4 factions who are serious about Twar.
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
  • Nepanthe - Raging Tide
    Nepanthe - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The 90% return of the bid seems counter productive to the price raising of bids. You're still going to have the high level factions putting in 100mil worth of banks notes whereas the factions that can't do that much will get out bidded without a chance to fight.
  • dog10240
    dog10240 Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    First off, the larger faction would be fake-bidding, which carries a pretty serious punishment if caught. Secondly, if a large faction makes a fake bid of 100 million coins, they'll still lose 10 million coins by doing so, which is equivalent to a week's worth of income from a level 3 territory.

This is not to say that they 100% wouldn't still do it, but there are definitely large risks and drawbacks to doing so that would make them think twice about it.

And how would we find out when factions would try this? Seems like its easily able to be gotten away with to me. I do like the 7-way ganking tho, the best thing to happen to small factions and make the TW map colorful again, not a 3-4 faction marked territory map.
  • Boartracker - Raging Tide
    Boartracker - Raging Tide Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've submitted a ticket with my thoughts; but, I'll comment here as well.

If bids need to increase, then I would suggest 1 million coin as a start on a level 3 land. 1 mill coin steps still makes it too high for some smaller factions so I would suggest 100k coin steps.

The new 500k coins per tower is too high for the 16 towers in TW now. That's 8 million coins just for towers if you win the bid. I would suggest no more than 200k coins per tower. That would reduce tower costs to 3.2 million for the TW.

The new tower damage is good, it will help level the playing fields. Makes stratagy & situational awareness important as well.

If you all can get the costs down to reasonable, I'd give you 2 thmbs up on this TW update.

P.S. Are ya all gonna pay interest on the coins you all are slow on returning as the refunds ?
  • gramery
    gramery Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Dropping the value of the starter drops to 1 coin is really discouraging to new players - very shortsighted. While quest rewards may be a bit higher, the brand new character has to do an awful lot of grinding to get enough coins to buy a pickaxe - and without a pickaxe, they cannot get started on the level 5 quests for production skills. I really feel that level 1 drops should go back up to 96 coins.
    Encourage new players - don't make 'em want to quit half an hour after starting the game.b:shocked
  • WhiteRosa - Archosaur
    WhiteRosa - Archosaur Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey all,

In the coming weeks, we'll be releasing a new content update for PWI that we've titled "Reflections". We're excited to bring it to you since it will add a lot of new features, from a new way to gain EXP (an actual new mechanic this time, not just new quests) to new daily and weekly quests, including a high level PVP event in Morai. It will also include various mechanic tweaks and bug fixes.

We'll also be making some major changes to Territory Wars, and that's what I wanted to talk about specifically in this post. These changes will be as follows:

1. Change bidding to use Ten Million Big Notes instead of Coins

The number of Big Notes that can be used for a bid will be from 1 to 99. This will effectively raise the minimum bid from 100k to 10,000,000. Maximum bid will effectively increase from 200,000,000 to 990,000,000.

Why the change?

As some of you know, the economy within the Chinese version of PW is vastly different from that of our version here. They made this change to fit more with their own server economies, and the change was applied to our version as well.

What will we do about it?

Since we feel that this change would be too drastic for our own version, we're taking some steps to adapt to it. We are currently working on a system for refunding 90% of your Territory Wars bid. The bidder will get this refund whether they win or lose their battle, and it will be sent out during the maintenance following the TW.

This change will effectively reduce the bidding range to 1,000,000 - 99,900,000 (once the refund is received).

In addition, since this TW bid change is pretty dramatic even with the refunding functionality in place, we'll be monitoring the situation, and we strongly encourage you to provide your feedback on the matter.

2. Number of Simultaneous Attacks on a single faction increased to seven from three.

Why the change?

This change was made to reduce the chance of a server monopoly and to increase competition in TW. Not all versions of PWI use the Seasonal TW system like we do (in fact I believe we're the only one), so it makes sense that more mechanisms would be put in place to guard against this.

Monitor the situation moving forward. Again, we encourage you to submit feedback either here on the forums in via Customer Service ticket.

3. Increase the strength, durability, and cost of base defenses in Territory Wars

Why the change?

To bring these defenses in-line with the increased power of characters over the last several updates.

Same as above: Monitor the situation moving forward. Again, we encourage you to submit feedback either here on the forums in via Customer Service ticket.

So, since some of these changes are pretty dramatic, we wanted to give a heads up a little beforehand so that people can start planning for them ahead of time.

We'd also love to hear what you think of these changes, and we'll forward all constructive feedback to the developers.

Thanks for your time!
    -The PWI Team
    Well there you have it,another useless update (almost),I mean 90% back is okey dokey,but 7 hits???I mean like someone said,alot of factions can't take 7.Even 3 is too hard.Anyway the only thing I like about this silly update is the meditating thing xD,but I still love you pwi <3.
    b:cute You jelly bro?You should be~b:cute
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As others have said,

1 coin for a grind? Maybe China doesnt need any new players coming into their game, but the rest of us do. Your starter cities, Tusk town (a mecca for new player leveling in my short time in this game), and even Snowy Villiage are or are becoming 'ghost towns'.

Dont MOST businesses want more and not less? Isn't it better to sell millions of gears at 100 coin each than to sell a few hundred at 1000 coin each?

If a business wants more money, is their best bet to keep raising prices on less and less people - many of which claim they are leaving town anyway? Why are they leaving town do you think?

Socially, although the meditation area is a plus for individuals, and in and of itself very nice, how does it do anything to bring people together? In the end, how does this new area do anything to benefit the game, when anyone new to the game was having a hard enough time finding a squad for a simple BH as it was? Surely the answer is not simply to log in and meditate while going off to another game to actually have some fun. Not to mention, and it could be just my lack of knowledge, but, how does the game make money off that?

Why not just leave the new TW for the "R9/Nirvy recast only" factions to play out, and for smaller less well geared factions put the old TW back as a seperate option with a restriction on gears, IF anyone really cares about increasing small faction activity?

Seems to me a random player selection, public TW would of been a better idea - although, I will give you that in and of itself it would not increase sales, but it would still have a beneficial effect on peripheral sales.

My questions basicly boil down to one -

What's being done to attract and keep new players in the game?

Inclusion increases activity and sales. Exclusion increases one's desire to find something more 'player friendly'.

If anyone wants to do something boring and anti-social, they could just play the free solitaire game that came with their PCs, tbh.b:surrender

P.S. This is NOT a troll or a rant, although it may seem like one. Im NOT being sarcastic, Im being honest and serious.
  • /ATLAS - Archosaur50
    /ATLAS - Archosaur50 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    someone needs to remove the previous ad troll post please, I luv football as much if not more than the next but really, ridiculous!
  • Curador - Harshlands
    Curador - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Seven attacks in a week is good for increasing competitiveness in the servers.

Good update.
    I am the punishment of God, if you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Genghis Khan
  • alexlordu
    alexlordu Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Do we get 2x exp/spirit please?
  • Orlin - Dreamweaver
    Orlin - Dreamweaver Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    With the TW 3 atks to 7 I can see working out if they allowed faction members to enter and not exit TW after the battle has started. That way the members that finish with the battles can join a battle that is still going on to help out other members.