Censorship Petition

Options

Comments

• maninblacktie
    maninblacktie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    We have the bank's safe code and the lock mode.
    Why not a filter option like "parental control" or something?
  • Sunaro - Lost City
    Sunaro - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ^ This. I'm pretty sure those of us who are 18+ can handle profanity. Lol.
    Zektera - Blademaster
    Djeserit - Assassin
    TranquilSoul - Barbarian
    Torsti - Cleric
    Heartbourne - Seeker
  • Tuiat - Sanctuary
    Tuiat - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    They should just remove the entire damned censor..
    Honestly. It's unneeded and it just causes more trouble than it's thought to prevent.
  • BlazingSky - Dreamweaver
    BlazingSky - Dreamweaver Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    One word: INVESTORS. People who invest in their company (and thus give them money) want to see that the game is reaching as wide of an audience as possible. The censorship software gives them the belief that this makes the game acceptable for kids. Of course, if they put any real research of their own into this, they would quickly realize that the whole idea is BS.

So, what's my point? Basically, don't be surprised if the fix for this problem turns out to be more BS.

BTW, censorship s**ks.

Perfect World: The only place where farmers can get rich.
  • Rokalith - Sanctuary
    Rokalith - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think it should be OPTIONAL.
    For names? I think for the ones that are already inappropriate, they will get prompted when they log-in to change their name to something else available and will not have access to gameplay until then. Also, make sure you can't join and make a character with those types of names. It will at least make it so a user can talk to others and continue to have good gameplay.

But for overall cussing in chat, I think a nice optional ability would be nice. I personal would keep the censor on all times however.
  • TPstar - Sanctuary
    TPstar - Sanctuary Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I can't even type "beat me" b:shocked, because "eat me" appearently is offensive b:sad.
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I can't even type "beat me" b:shocked, because "eat me" appearently is offensive b:sad.

Yea, I know I saw someone comment saying how the PWE employees apparently have dirtier minds that most of the playerbase

I'd have to agree -- so much for that 12 year old being able to say

DARN, YOU BEAT ME (after they duel)

thanks to the dirty minded ***** that work for PWE =\
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    my first encounter with the need censor was less than ideal.

i had typed in faction chat

later guys, i got to go help my mom pull some weeds

it came out

later guys, i got to go help my mom pull some ****s

You guy totally screwed up a perfectly innocent sentence...b:surrender
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Carvizana - Sanctuary
    Carvizana - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Even something as simple as I'm going to pass out becomes I'm going to ********
    and even passed out is censored.Whats so bad about those words?
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    As stated before, I am in full support of an optional censor.

An optional censor would make the more "conservative" audience happier as well as maintaining some semblance of freedom for the more "open" players. Personally, I do not like feeling as if I am being reprimanded as if I am in kindergarten while playing an online game.

I am aware of the many individuals who feel as if the conversations should remain "child safe" but I urge those individuals to go re-read the Terms of Service. As stated in the opening post, this game was designed for an audience of at least 18 years of age, or the age of maturity for the area in which you live. The company is not liable for providing protection to children for adult language but rather that it is the parent's responsibility to ensure that their children are being exposed to age suitable material.

Nonetheless, I am pleased to see that the drama in this thread has remained relatively civil and I encourage that the conversation(s) remain so.
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nothing like seeing your faction win in TW, and when people grats you on WC, the fac name gets partially censored xD "Good fight, Ka***au~"

Hahaha, I'll be so glad when Tuesday's maint rolls around...and the censor rolls back. =D
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • WillowGirl - Dreamweaver
    WillowGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    my first encounter with the need censor was less than ideal.

i had typed in faction chat

later guys, i got to go help my mom pull some weeds

it came out

later guys, i got to go help my mom pull some ****s

You guy totally screwed up a perfectly innocent sentence...b:surrender

This totally made me laugh out loud b:chuckle
  • Lu$t - Sanctuary
    Lu$t - Sanctuary Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I say everyone fill this out:
    000.jpg
    And forward it to whoever is responsible for this :D It's faster then tickets!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero~
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Although it is funny, I will say this; whoever wrote that had entirely too much time on their hands, and whoever feels the need to share it does as well.
  • iyoshi
    iyoshi Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have children 8 and 10 who also play this game and even I think the censorship has gotten out of control here. WTH PWI? Come on.
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I sincerely hope you're the type of parent that actually pays attention to what their children is exposed to. I know, as a parent myself, I would not let my daughter play this game unless I was sitting right there with her and the user interface was hidden,
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I sincerely hope you're the type of parent that actually pays attention to what their children is exposed to. I know, as a parent myself, I would not let my daughter play this game unless I was sitting right there with her and the user interface was hidden,
    no one really needs to see wc, just keep it off common. I am 24 and barely read WC
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    iyoshi wrote: »
    I have children 8 and 10 who also play this game and even I think the censorship has gotten out of control here. WTH PWI? Come on.

*ahem*
    5. Account

You may be required to create an account (an "Account") to access our Games and certain features and functions or our Service. You must be 13 years of age or older to create an Account. If you are 13 or over, but are under the age of 18, we require that you review these Terms with your parents or guardian to ensure they read and agree to them. If you are the parent of guardian of a user of our website and you have questions about this website or these terms, please contact us at tos@perfectworldinc.com.
    By creating an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that you are at least age 18 and agree to these Terms, or that you are over 13 years of age and your parents or legal guardian have read and agreed to these Terms, and you understand and agree that we are relying upon that representation in allowing you to use the Service. Only one person may use an Account.

Notwithstanding the above, certain portions of our Website and some of our games may contain mature contents not suitable for anyone younger than 18 years of age. We will require that you confirm that you are 18 years of age or older to access such content. If you enter any portion of the Website which is intended for or is marked for mature audiences only, you are certifying that you are at least 18 years old or the applicable age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside and have the legal right to access such content. We shall not be responsible in any way for your failure to accurately confirm your age per the terms hereunder.

When creating an Account and a user identity ("User ID") you agree to (i) provide true, accurate, current and complete information as requested in the required fields (the "Account Information") and (ii) promptly maintain and update such User ID and your Account Information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.

Good day.

...Taking it too far.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I was writing a sentence in Chinese ingame...and it seems that PWI censored every character except for 屎...
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • LadyTsuki - Harshlands
    LadyTsuki - Harshlands Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    *ahem*

Good day.

...Taking it too far.
    Actually LadyofReal isn't taking it too far. Parents should monitor their kids when they're online, and make sure what they're doing etc. If I had kids, I would be playing pwi right alongside them making sure that they're going to be fine. That's a job parent's have to do which is something people nowadays don't get.
    Formerly LadyTsukiyo: Nab cleric, and Harshlands biggest loudmouth. Annoying the living **** out of people, Self-Proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm and One-liners circa 1990.

Died as a cleric, reincarnated into a mystic.
  • ecclesianne
    ecclesianne Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Wow o-o
    74 votes in 2 hours
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Actually LadyofReal isn't taking it too far. Parents should monitor their kids when they're online, and make sure what they're doing etc. If I had kids, I would be playing pwi right alongside them making sure that they're going to be fine. That's a job parent's have to do which is something people nowadays don't get.

Or in my case, I'm the one that have to monitor my parents when they're online... If I had kids, I'd strictly follow the ratings. It's the parent's fault to let their kids play games made for an older audience. I see this a lot where I live and it dissapoints me so. My cousin buys her 9~10 year old son MA games and takes him to see R movies. That's how bad things are these days.

Besides... Nowadays you see worse things everywhere around you. Censorship because people are being stupid on a game? Please...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • TabooForYou - Lost City
    TabooForYou - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Guess I'm gonna be the first. I'm going to start out with this: I understand where you all are coming from. Understand this though: PWE has been pressured by many people to make WC more friendly to younger eyes. This, however ill-conceived you might believe it to be, is their way of doing that. I will make sure that frankie reads through these threads, because your concerns as a player-base do matter to me, at least. Please keep the conversation civil, and we'll see if we can't get a solid answer on this. Thanks!b:thanks

What i don't get is this whole age thing, the game rules clearly state 18+, i understand a big chunk of the player base is young, but that should not ruin the game for other people (i'm not not saying don't let 18- play, i'm not 18+ either but I've been able to handle these words from 10) and for example, movies with F bombs are shown at my school AND are in 14 A movies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alard - Raging Tide
    Alard - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I had to laugh my butt off today... someone said to me - Great memory, and got Gr******mory

so yeah, this is insane LOL
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Half the things I didn't know was dirty has become dirty...
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • FalseArrow - Heavens Tear
    FalseArrow - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    most 13 year olds have access to all internet, just the smart ones go to those bad when parents arent looking - point is, even if u set up the age, most kids will simply raise the year they were born to be able to play it. and censoring, a system wont change anything. it just makes us have to throw in some creativity and effort to make a word not appear as stars. i honestly dont think an on and off switch will help since obviously most players will have it on anyways. most kids try to be high and mighty by being able to see 'big kid words'. i honestly think only racist and the further in, much more insulting words to be censored. some cuss words arent even insulting, just more of a...passionate way of saying something xD like "I ****** hate this..."- no insult. gms, get off ur couch and start doing something other than pondering if u should test a patch or not. watch the servers; dont go afk pretending to be watching while people view ur info.
  • FalseArrow - Heavens Tear
    FalseArrow - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    so dont start that "its 18+, right?" ****. we all were smart enough to know how to get around that, and those little kids who complain can go play WoW with their fellow 8 year old friends. just because someone uses a "bad word" doesnt mean u have to censor every word that some random person can make a bad comment on.
  • noitulover1945
    noitulover1945 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I was writing a sentence in Chinese ingame...and it seems that PWI censored every character except for 屎...

But here NOT Chinese GAME!
  • ecclesianne
    ecclesianne Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Won't this technically make words of profanity more well known around minors since words they never knew were bad have been clearly pointed out as such by PWI?
    I'm sure that some minor will type a word that will be censored by PWI, and they'll make the connection.
  • MaidenChina - Harshlands
    MaidenChina - Harshlands Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Seriously, they would censor their own bosses, and even Wings of Protection?

Do you think we're stupid? We're going to either continue whining, or work a way around your "taking care of a problem."

Just like every other "fix" you do, you do it half-****, lazily, and without warning. GG.
    And this is why I play FFXIV and LOTRO now. Sorry PWI, no money for you. :<

You have kids playing Modern Warfare and HALO, but you've got to squishify this game to THIS point?

What are you people at the developing HQ smoking?