Community's opinion on APS [Poll]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Classes should obviously be balanced individually in both pvp and pve, but until that happens (which is never) its better to adjust than being miserable.
    I've been lurking this thread for a few pages' time, looking for anything that seemed more insightful than the token "shape up or ship out." This did it for me.

There's definitely something to be said for a non-serious approach to it all. But to describe those who refuse to fall in line as uniformly "miserable" is off the mark. Arguably belonging to that category myself, I can tell you I'm not miserable (or if I was, it wouldn't be because of PWI).

I think most of us can agree on the fact that PWI used to be much better and more balanced than it is today. It was never free of problems... like the drop-dependency system mentioned earlier in this thread... but you didn't see any of this QQing early on in the game (well, except for the Nix bleed). Now, part of that is the fault of PWE for willfully unbalancing and cannibalizing this game chunk-by-chunk for the better part of two years.

But the other part is the fault of the players. Packs, Jones, 5aps, r9, you name it, people have jumped on board with it like it was the cure to their terminal illness. But the worst thing about it... the ones I'm most sad for... are some of the people on this forum. Arguably intelligent people, willingly embracing perversion after perversion of a system they know used to be far better, all for the sake of keeping up with the Jones's (no pun intended). And then they go and defend those same perversions (which is what - willful ignorance? mass-amnesia? you decide).

I don't do serious PVP, because to do so would mean to embrace that crippled system as well. You could say that's the primary reason I'm not "miserable." But some of the people on this board, discussing the benefits of 5aps one minute and reminiscing on the glory days of TW the next...... some of these people, I wonder why you didn't have the dignity to quit like those who did when packs, r9 etc. came out.

And then I wonder, which side is supposedly "miserable," again?

I'm still here because the core PVE mechanics of the game - what I consider its "soul" - are still intact (even though the TT3 buff did cripple endgame PVE), and I still have fun with them. When that changes for me, I'm gone.

Also, "Frosting?" Are we really trying to legitimize powerleveling by giving it a name now? XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    miku ftw b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    When I compare damage from others, I always try to think of it like this. They have r9 wep +10, my armors should also be r9 +10. Otherwise just an unfair comparison. Thats one of the reasons as a cleric I always worked gear>wep. I needed the survivability for tw. Also hope you aren't one of those pdef barbs, with pdef orns. I see so many of those. Also as a barb if I see a 3spark, you better believe im going to invoke.
    no, of course I don't wear pdef orns. 90% of what this game throws at you is magic attacks. plus in TW, you're getting attacked by arcane + physical damage - so the better choice is mdef orns. this: http://pwcalc.com/ad45bc77477b1783 is what I am currently wearing - those stats are unbuffed.

at any rate, you can't always invoke as if you get to run around with full chi at all times or invoke has 0 cool down. Invoke can be purged too (see previous). When I see a wizard spark out at OT - I usually domain and it allows me to get in their face, rather than invoke and being slowed down. If I invoke on a sin, they usually just run away / go invisible until invoke is off - then spark again: my counter to this is usually just (if charmed) hit solid shield after they spark, tank the damage while I eat a pot for added security. If they didnt bother to stun me, I'm using frigthen -> bestial rage -> demon sunder and they start to run when they see they are about to die and they didnt get through my charm on a spark + tm + ep/subsea combo.
    Uh...how does having R9 save you from being 1 shot in that case? The only defensive bonus that R9 offers over Nirvana is like 20 def levels, which is conveniently countered by Jone's. If you get hit for 55k without R9, you get hit for 49k with R9...and did the BIDS crit?

I don't know to be honest, because when you duel and get oneshot - the word "DEFEAT" pops up in big letters, covering the damage and whether it was a crit or not. Only reason I know the damage is that it was listed in my damage log.

anywho..
    this barb: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1058101&page=2
    doesnt even have 49k hp in tiger form (close, could get there by using a higher grade helm probably) but he does have higher mdef.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Ryoutah - Harshlands
    Ryoutah - Harshlands Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    u forgot option #4.

$TFU and stop the qq about it loser.
  • Ashivas - Dreamweaver
    Ashivas - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's extremely overpowered. And it's resulting in everyone rerolling a sin or BM. I said no it isn't fair. It simply doesnt make sense honestly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ashura Tyrant you foul mouthed little boy! I must keel yew nao =3
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    im a cleric i dont have a problem with it cause i still am wanted for nirvy squadsb:victory
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    no, of course I don't wear pdef orns. 90% of what this game throws at you is magic attacks. plus in TW, you're getting attacked by arcane + physical damage - so the better choice is mdef orns. this: http://pwcalc.com/ad45bc77477b1783 is what I am currently wearing - those stats are unbuffed.

at any rate, you can't always invoke as if you get to run around with full chi at all times or invoke has 0 cool down. Invoke can be purged too (see previous). When I see a wizard spark out at OT - I usually domain and it allows me to get in their face, rather than invoke and being slowed down. If I invoke on a sin, they usually just run away / go invisible until invoke is off - then spark again: my counter to this is usually just (if charmed) hit solid shield after they spark, tank the damage while I eat a pot for added security. If they didnt bother to stun me, I'm using frigthen -> bestial rage -> demon sunder and they start to run when they see they are about to die and they didnt get through my charm on a spark + tm + ep/subsea combo.

I don't know to be honest, because when you duel and get oneshot - the word "DEFEAT" pops up in big letters, covering the damage and whether it was a crit or not. Only reason I know the damage is that it was listed in my damage log.

anywho..
    this barb: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1058101&page=2
    doesnt even have 49k hp in tiger form (close, could get there by using a higher grade helm probably) but he does have higher mdef.

My point was that your gear is not equal to a r9 g16 wep. You need to be sporting something similar to go "omg I got hit for 55k." Higher defenses, higher hp etc. And some def lvls to counter some of the attack lvls. Yea I know its really ****ty they took out medals cause I know quite a few barbs who wanted that r9 gear for TW. Also my other poiint is you dueled and let the wizard hit you for all he had. You didnt use genie, skill etc. Which would have cut it down too.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think this question might have been phrased poorly.

This game has other things that get increasing returns. For example, channelling gear gives increased returns in exactly the same way that reduced interval gear gives increased returns.

But people are going to be voting on this question, and interpreting votes, in terms of the whole issue with 5aps permaspark. Meanwhile, if some skill had a 0.2 second casting time, and if it could be repeated fast enough, and if you had enough -12% channelling gear, and if you could afford to use it, you could do something with that skill very like the whole 5aps thing.

But, anyways, this issue can only be a fraction of the whole picture.