Multi-Clienting Rule Changes

Options
frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
Hey guys,

For a long long time, ever since PWI was first released in fact, we've always had the rule that you could only run one PWI client per machine.

The reasoning behind this rule was the fact that running more than one client could not be accomplished without editing the game files, and editing game files was not allowed.

This led to many players running PWI on a second or even third computer, usually to be able to run a cat shop while their main account actually played.

Some time ago, the client itself changed, and running multiple clients was possible without editing game files. For consistency's sake, we did not modify the multi-clienting rule, and what followed were a lot of questions as to its validity, now that the original reason for it no longer applied.

Well, we've talked about it, and we've come to a new set of rules for multi-clienting. It should be easier to follow, easier to enforce, and it will help level the playing field between people with one computer and people with multiple computers.

So here we go:

• You may only have 2 accounts per person, regardless of how many computers you own.

There isn't a viable reason to create an excessive number of accounts, so any suspicious activity from now on will be fully dealt with. We aren't going to punish you for having existing accounts prior to this rule, but you can only be online on two at once at the most.

*Note: Excessive account creation has been and will continued to be pursued. Provided you did not abuse this before, you should have nothing to worry about.

• You may only play on two characters at the same time. They can both level up OR one can level up while the other is a vendor alt OR both can be vendor alts.

If you want to keep one leveling account and one vendor alt account, that's fine. You cannot, however, actively level two characters while having a third account to act as a shop alt. We will be actively enforcing this.

This new policy is in effect starting now, however, we will continue to refine and improve upon this, so this policy is subject to change. Read on for examples that may specifically deal with your situation.

*Example: If you're a family of 3 playing PWI, then you can have 2 accounts for each member of your family. You WILL have to prove this though if we notice any suspicious activity from your household.

*Example: You can actively have two LV 65 Barbs grinding on HT Server on the same computer, but no vendor alts online.

*Example: You (as an individual human being) cannot have 3 accounts active, it doesn't matter if you own 3 or 30 computers.

*Example: You cannot have two characters leveling at once if you also have a shop alt logged in.

Two characters maximum online at once for any situation.

Feel free to discuss your reactions to these changes, but please keep it civil.

Thanks!
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Maybe now that it's actually allowed Fuzzy can try his hand at merchanting through an ever present catshop like so many others do. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    what if one of the alts is used as a faction fund raiser, not directly benefiting the player who operates it in any way?

edit: first non staff post FTW!?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    No replies? lol
    Well, I personally think this is awesome. Thanks for clearing things up and finding a solution that works for everyone. :D

what if one of the alts is used as a faction fund raiser, not directly benefiting the player who operates it in any way?

edit: first non staff post FTW!?!

God help us if exceptions like that start being made lol. I don't think it matters. It's still your account regardless of how you use it, so you're still the one responsible for it.

ETA: This is only semi related, but I'm curious what the policy is on account sharing. I've always seen people say that it's banned, and that makes sense to me... but in game, I also see lots of people that share accounts (usually they know eachother irl) and also multiclient to do so and I haven't heard of anyone actually getting banned for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Finally.
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

What about the people that have been banned in the past for multi clienting, even after the game files we're changed by PW-CN, so that it was possible to multi client on one PC w/ out changing/modifying game files?
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't get how they would even know if you do this.

*A disturbance in your Ip Address?*
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i hope there is a better reason for all these "changes for consistency's sake" aside from a cheap attempt to bost cash shop sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    glad to hear it, i hope my comp can handle it

sadly, my cleric and sin are on the same account :(
  • Susamajii - Lost City
    Susamajii - Lost City Posts: 902 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Is it just me or did PWI roll out of the stupid side of bed this morning? First taking rank 9 medal out of the DQ points herp derp, now this **** lol.. you are bad. You.. are.. bad.

This "rule change" doesn't even affect me just wondering how much alcohol you guys consumed last night.
    Push me,
    And then just touch me.
    Tilll I get my,
    Satisfaction.
  • Kinir - Lost City
    Kinir - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    They won't, don't, and can't know a disturbance in the force hence the total lack of bans for the existence of this game. People have been rainbow squads without them noticing.

My only question is: Is this supposed to be the "fix" for the dq fiasco or just happening to come out at the same time?

Also to clear up the confusion in Windows 7 Open the game log in do your thing. Press windows key and open the game again. Congrats 2 clients (not that I've ever done this).
  • Namari - Dreamweaver
    Namari - Dreamweaver Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well that's good news. Thanks, Frankie.

Still a smidge confused. So like, let's say me and my fiance have two accounts each. We can't each have a shop running on our computers without it being deemed "suspicious" while I level my mystic on my account and he levels his chars on his account.
    Censorship is the bane of creativity. Censorship is the bane of personality. Most of all...censorship is the bane of identity.

My main is Ivy_. I'm better known as Destini. Also known as _Yvi. Yes, I have an identity crisis. b:chuckle

Looking for a signature for this character. Wanna make me one?
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Good new b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • ACLucius - Archosaur
    ACLucius - Archosaur Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    First page? Amazing!

Edit: damn, didn't do it fast enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Didn't get the rest of it, but apparently I am the "destroyer of sin haters" as well.
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    -Shrugs- People were still gonna do it anyways.
  • _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver
    _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    What exactly is suspicious activity?
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This is awful.
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well the rule change is all well and nice but if the PWI player base is skeptical on how you're going to actually be able to catch anyone using multiple accounts on different computers, I can't see many people changing their behavior at all.

Currently I dual compute with my main doing quests/leveling along with the help of a cleric alt. But if I happened to have three computers with the "third" being cat shop/whatever, how exactly is PW going to catch me in the act ?

Are they going to be doing random IP scans or something like that ?

And even if I get picked up in said scan... what's to stop me using the "oh its just different family members playing on the same network" excuse ?

Whoever thinks the playing field will now be leveled is obviously suffering from a serious case of self delusion. b:bye
  • Choze - Dreamweaver
    Choze - Dreamweaver Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't get how they would even know if you do this.

*A disturbance in your Ip Address?*

I won't go into details, as I'm sure they'd remove the post if I did, but...

I can assure you from working with staff in a different game there are in fact ways to tell if one person is running multiple acounts, and they can even tell if you are using multiple computers from one location, or if multiple people are playing from one location.

Not that I know exactly what methods PWE uses for such detection, but it has been proven to me in the past there are ways to tell the difference. Although most companies just simplify it to seeing how many accounts are logged from one IP adress, there are more in depth ways of going about it.
  • Barber - Heavens Tear
    Barber - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    this sounds pretty stupid to me...

I have 3 accounts prior to this rule...my 103 barb is on one my 102 Sin is on one and my Seeker is on another and i have 2 desktops and a laptop, so now you're telling me i can get banned because i might log 3 of them on at once?

welp for the record my dad has been wanting to play the game so i'm going to let him use my seekers account, i now only have 2 accounts on one person in my household and 1 for the other person....how do i prove it to you guys?
    Barbarian(Barber)=104
    Cleric(MysticFrost)=104
    BM(TooCold)=104
    Seeker(TiltedKilt)=104
    Assassin(Spongeworthy)=104
    Veno(UnZipped)=103
  • Sun_Burn - Lost City
    Sun_Burn - Lost City Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    welp for the record my dad has been wanting to play the game so i'm going to let him use my seekers account, i now only have 2 accounts on one person in my household and 1 for the other person....how do i prove it to you guys?

that would be account sharing/trading, which I think violates TOS.

edit: this is good for me since I have multiple shops up, but it's also kinda bs because it's just gonna be that much harder to find spots in group activities if people can use mult. clients to solo instances like NV for bigger profits. (which people were doing anyways but meh)
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I am having a hard time with this because if it was never "dealt" with before, how is it all of a sudden going to be "dealt" with now?

I mean, I guess this is a good thing for many but for other's that have been doing this, I have a hard time thinking their habits will change and/or they get "in trouble."

Managing this prior to making it "legal" would have been a better indication to much of the player base that there was a "system" to combat excessiveness...

Hmmm...West will be even more interesting.

So...you cannot fix the Medal exploit and you cannot fix the client to allow only one to open, therefore the Medal is removed and the rules tweaked?

Perplexing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

I have 3 accounts prior to this rule...my 103 barb is on one my 102 Sin is on one and my Seeker is on another and i have 2 desktops and a laptop, so now you're telling me i can get banned because i might log 3 of them on at once?

Don't you remember what they taught us in pre-school? Permission slips. b:pleased

I am also curious as how they will enforce something that wasn't enforced before, or if it was enforced, not equivocally.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Hexalot - Dreamweaver
    Hexalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 871 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Actually the better question would be, how does PWI separate the Single person multi box accounts from the gaming households with three or more family members logged on at the same time ?

Well unless they have tech which can spy into our homes, the short answer is... they can't.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well that's good news. Thanks, Frankie.

Still a smidge confused. So like, let's say me and my fiance have two accounts each. We can't each have a shop running on our computers without it being deemed "suspicious" while I level my mystic on my account and he levels his chars on his account.

As long as you guys used real info when you registered (i.e. all four accounts do not have the same registration info across the board), you'll definitely look less suspicious than the average abuser.

The GM's will try to take all things into account before banning.
  • Kitamura - Lost City
    Kitamura - Lost City Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hey guys,

For a long long time, ever since PWI was first released in fact, we've always had the rule that you could only run one PWI client per machine.

The reasoning behind this rule was the fact that running more than one client could not be accomplished without editing the game files, and editing game files was not allowed.

This led to many players running PWI on a second or even third computer, usually to be able to run a cat shop while their main account actually played.

Some time ago, the client itself changed, and running multiple clients was possible without editing game files. For consistency's sake, we did not modify the multi-clienting rule, and what followed were a lot of questions as to its validity, now that the original reason for it no longer applied.

Well, we've talked about it, and we've come to a new set of rules for multi-clienting. It should be easier to follow, easier to enforce, and it will help level the playing field between people with one computer and people with multiple computers.

So here we go:

• You may only have 2 accounts per person, regardless of how many computers you own.

There isn't a viable reason to create an excessive number of accounts, so any suspicious activity from now on will be fully dealt with. We aren't going to punish you for having existing accounts prior to this rule, but you can only be online on two at once at the most.

*Note: Excessive account creation has been and will continued to be pursued. Provided you did not abuse this before, you should have nothing to worry about.

• You may only play on two characters at the same time, but they can both level up OR one can level up while the other is a vendor alt.

If you want to keep one leveling account and one vendor alt account, that's fine. You cannot, however, actively level two characters while having a third account to act as a shop alt. We will be actively enforcing this.

This new policy is in effect starting now, however, we will continue to refine and improve upon this, so this policy is subject to change. Read on for examples that may specifically deal with your situation.

*Example: If you're a family of 3 playing PWI, then you can have 2 accounts for each member of your family. You WILL have to prove this though if we notice any suspicious activity from your household.

*Example: You can actively have two LV 65 Barbs grinding on HT Server on the same computer, but no vendor alts online.

*Example: You (as an individual human being) cannot have 3 accounts active, it doesn't matter if you own 3 or 30 computers.

*Example: You cannot have two characters leveling at once if you also have a shop alt logged in.

Two characters maximum online at once for any situation.

Feel free to discuss your reactions to these changes, but please keep it civil.

Thanks!

Talking about people changing files of game client when you guys going to do something about 90% of the players that edit/rename files to take down trees on game what allow them to pass closed doors in instances giving them a enormous advantage over legit players.

I cant see why logging 3~4 accounts is so bad for game and allowing Hackers to walk free through doors inside every instance isn't. b:angry
    As long as you guys used real info when you registered (i.e. all four accounts do not have the same registration info across the board), you'll definitely look less suspicious than the average abuser.

The GM's will try to take all things into account before banning.

so people that failed to lie in personal data and provided accurate and real information are screwed?
    [SIGPIC]100% F2P Assassin[/SIGPIC]
    Overclocked 100% F2P Assassin (1st lvl105 @ 22Nov2010)
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    How does one multiclient without editing game files? D:
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't see why we couldn't log on two players and a catshop at once. o.O But maybe that was there just to keep the rule simple? Meh, this doesn't affect me much, and I don't hold much sympathy for people who try to "solo the game" this way. Then again, I don't have sympathy for anyone who tries to solo the game in any manner, but... ehh.

@Frankie: Does the 2-character rule apply across multiple servers? Suppose, for example, that I log in my main account and my new "Earthguard account" to Heaven's Tear, for whatever reason... but then I also log my main account to the Archosaur server (I have chars on both servers and have previously put them both online at the same time from the same account... there was never any rule I saw against this).

Seems to me this should still be valid as no action from one server can carry over to another. Or to put this more simply... it's two accounts, not two characters right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Talking about people changing files of game client when you guys going to do something about 90% of the players that edit/rename files to take down trees on game what allow them to pass closed doors in instances giving them a enormous advantage over legit players.

I cant see why logging 3~4 accounts is so bad for game and allowing Hackers to walk free through doors inside every instance isn't. b:angry

so people that failed to lie in personal data and provided accurate and real information are screwed?

I think this would **** over many people's cat shops lol since most people don't bother filling out their same info multiple times.

P.S. Can you confirm if you can still use magic and phys def charms at 105? Cheze says Rinc can, but I want to hear it from a 105 directly. I stopped leveling at 105 hearing that charms weren't usable... but I will reconsider leveling again if they are.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Templar - Sanctuary
    Templar - Sanctuary Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So its allowed now ,

then its not fun anymore b:cry
  • Barber - Heavens Tear
    Barber - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    that would be account sharing/trading, which I think violates TOS.

edit: this is good for me since I have multiple shops up, but it's also kinda bs because it's just gonna be that much harder to find spots in group activities if people can use mult. clients to solo instances like NV for bigger profits. (which people were doing anyways but meh)

lol yup tehy might consider that too

I have always followed the rules of this game and do not multi client now youre going to punish me for doing what your rules said in the first place...

If i would've known you were going to do a change like this i wouldn't have started my seeker on another account...if youre going to enforce rule changes mid stream like this then you need to find a way to combine peoples accounts instead of making up new rules as you go along...my seekers is now lvl 74 and i was following all of your rules before
    Barbarian(Barber)=104
    Cleric(MysticFrost)=104
    BM(TooCold)=104
    Seeker(TiltedKilt)=104
    Assassin(Spongeworthy)=104
    Veno(UnZipped)=103