Genie Discussion

Comments

• DejaEntendu - Heavens Tear
    DejaEntendu - Heavens Tear Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    ToP for anything but JoSD +10 R9 or barbs chars is worthless in PvP. Anything with physical attack will tear through your defences faster than the time for the first tick of ToP to activate.

lol this is completely untrue.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/P6608.png[/SIGPIC]
    wizard pk videos: youtube.com/user/elijahpvp
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I find it quite useful on my veno, but you're probably right. What skill would you suggest then?

ex poison/remove para/wind shield/AD/expel
    lol this is completely untrue.

Yeah okay.
  • witniss
    witniss Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My genie has 85/100 lp with full +4 vit gears, with fortify, badge of courage, spark, soul of fire, expel, and extreme poison.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So anything new on this front? New morai skills and just game slowly evolving.. anything that I should know?
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Slegtst - Dreamweaver
    Slegtst - Dreamweaver Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I cant get my 79/100 Zeal to sell. D:
    169 energy with 3.00 regen. Four level 5 [magic] orbs.

Made it for speedy nirvy runs, but ended up using it always [pve only].

Chi Siphon gives a little over 2 sparks, so you can dash out some nasty combo's with it.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    So I ended up with a clean 86/100 discipline (lvl 100) with 12 warsong medals (long story) and my 88/100 is gone. Plan is to keep the same skills as my old one

1 Wind force
    10 Holy Path
    1 Fortify
    10 Spark
    10 Badge of Courage
    10 Wind Shield
    10 Belief

What I can't decide on is stats. I'm leaning more towards 90dex (with gear) because I'd lose quite a bit of vit/mag to get to 100dex. Playing around with stats, it looks like I can get base 3str, 74dex, 56vit, 48mag.. which means all the medal gear needs to be +4dex/+4something. I will need at least one of those somethings to be vit so that I can use belief, but I really can't decide between vit or mag for the remaining 3. Anyone care to share what they'd choose in my situation (or different stat allocation all together?)

Thanks in advance :D
  • Nurfed_You - Harshlands
    Nurfed_You - Harshlands Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i went full vit/dex and stated extra magic. but i have a zeal so i can stat magic up 55points before taking 2.

I'm at 85/100lp 60vit 98dex 45mag and you've seen my genie's regen in action. faith kind of kills it but other then that i usually don't have to wait for my genie to regen. if anything when i switch out AD for faith i'll restat down to like 50vit and stat the othe points in magic. I really don't think we need faith anymore unless your fighting clerics, but even then windshield makes me tanky enough that clerics can't kill me without 2-3 crits.

With arcane defense mages kind of just trololol aps sins. and a badge/fort genie can best a chill sins stun lock. so if i was you i'd roll your genie with 50vit 98dex 50+mag and just drop faith off your list of skills. if you go for 90dex 50vit you could probably get upwards of 60mag which is like 2.3/sec+ regen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    i went full vit/dex and stated extra magic. but i have a zeal so i can stat magic up 55points before taking 2.

I'm at 85/100lp 60vit 98dex 45mag and you've seen my genie's regen in action. faith kind of kills it but other then that i usually don't have to wait for my genie to regen. if anything when i switch out AD for faith i'll restat down to like 50vit and stat the othe points in magic. I really don't think we need faith anymore unless your fighting clerics, but even then windshield makes me tanky enough that clerics can't kill me without 2-3 crits.

With arcane defense mages kind of just trololol aps sins. and a badge/fort genie can best a chill sins stun lock. so if i was you i'd roll your genie with 50vit 98dex 50+mag and just drop faith off your list of skills. if you go for 90dex 50vit you could probably get upwards of 60mag which is like 2.3/sec+ regen.

interesting perspective, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop faith. It's just all around a good skill to have.. used it many many times against other mages, they are one hit from dead and fow, just purify it off and finish them.. remove a sleep so that sparked BT doesn't bypass you, sutra with faith so don't get sealed by psy, the list goes on and on. Also great when getting ganked by multiple people (where you might be both immobilized + stunned, where the only thing getting you out is going to be apoth or faith haha). I'm not totally against dropping faith, I've just found it very useful in the past.. and would be hesitant to just drop it without a good alternative.

I guess I've always leaned more towards vit than mag as well, I think of high mag as being more for pve and TW where skills are spammed constantly, and vit being more to chain skills (which in my experience is closer to what world pvp is like). That said, in long drawn out fights, I remember my old genie would slowly be losing energy until my genie was basically dead for half a min, and the extra regen definitely would have been nice in those kinds of cases. Looking at all my options with 90dex, it seems I can start with 55vit and 45mag and add 20 points total to whichever I want (or combo)

So could be the extremes..
    75vit/45mag
    55vit/65mag

or anything in between
    60vit/60mag etc

I'd prefer to keep at least my old vit (60), gawd whai so many options b:cry

edit: to make things worse, I just realized I can also hit 100dex/60vit/44mag as well.. which is another strong contender.. zzz
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Update:

Went with the 100dex build, base stats are
    3str/84dex/48vit/40mag
    gear is..
    3x +4dex/+4vit
    1x +4dex/+4mag
    which results in..
    3str/100dex/60vit/44mag

I chose the stats the way I did so that I could easily switch back to my 90dex build if it didn't work out, would take out 10dex (free up 20 points), bump vit up to 58 (-13 points) and mag up to 46 (-7 points) to result in 3str/90dex/70vit/50mag as an example (this was my #2 option).

Anyway, I really don't think this genie really needs much testing.. it is almost identical to my old one (except extra 10 in dex and missing one in mag). Spark, wind shield, wind force, holy path, and badge all receive bonuses from the dex.. magic regens .02/s slower than my old one (can't really notice :P). The big reason I went with the 100dex is for badge.. gets an extra 5% chance of working, or essentially fails 50% less of the time than my old one. Being that a badge fail usually means imminent death.. having it fail less was a big plus. The other bonuses were much less significant: spark went from 93% reduction to 100%.. wind shield went from like 26% -> 27% reduction (and duration increased from 9 to 10 secs), holy path got an extra second (6 to 7 seconds which actually pretty decent), and wind force now boosts me an additional 1% faster than before! I'll pop in later if I decide that the vit/mag are just too low and I decide to go back to 90 dex :P
    edited August 2012
    Sounds legit, i want to roll mine with a little extra mag just because pvp on harshlands with my current gear is survive gank>kill target>get ganked>spam genie>kill people>get ganked again>spam more genie>apoth>kill target and so on. i don't really get into any lengthy 1v1's anymore because i just avoid fighting bms 1v1 if i can help it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited August 2012
    Sounds legit, i want to roll mine with a little extra mag just because pvp on harshlands with my current gear is survive gank>kill target>get ganked>spam genie>kill people>get ganked again>spam more genie>apoth>kill target and so on. i don't really get into any lengthy 1v1's anymore because i just avoid fighting bms 1v1 if i can help it

hahaha fair enough :P
  • lalarux
    lalarux Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm not really new to the game but I haven't played it for long, kind of on and off and I'm trying to find a guide to genies. I absolutely love them myself so if anyone could steer me to a direction of one.

One of the main questions I have is how to get chi stones for them. Figured someone here would have to know.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited September 2012
    lalarux wrote: »
    I'm not really new to the game but I haven't played it for long, kind of on and off and I'm trying to find a guide to genies. I absolutely love them myself so if anyone could steer me to a direction of one.

One of the main questions I have is how to get chi stones for them. Figured someone here would have to know.

It would be really helpful to mention what you do mostly (pve/pvp/tw at least) and maybe a calc of your gear. As far as chi stones, they generally come from decomposing stuff, although there are a few other ways as well (nv chests have a chance for 100 pstones for ex). I generally buy pstones at like 1k each, or do OHT daily for tears, make OHT wrists and decomp them for 70 pstones ea.. not really sure if that was what you were looking for though.
  • MyPixelsHurt - Raging Tide
    MyPixelsHurt - Raging Tide Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    101 Longevity 91/100 <3

3str
    54 vit
    100dex
    50mag

4 LVL 4 DEX/VIT Genie gear

Badge-10
    Holy path-10
    Absolute Domain-10
    fortify-1
    Spark-10
    Extreme poision-10
    Frenzy-10
    Tree of Protection-10
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited October 2012
    101 Longevity 91/100 <3

3str
    54 vit
    100dex
    50mag

4 LVL 4 DEX/VIT Genie gear

Badge-10
    Holy path-10
    Absolute Domain-10
    fortify-1
    Spark-10
    Extreme poision-10
    Frenzy-10
    Tree of Protection-10

If I were you I'd definitely drop ToP for wind shield or AFA.. other than that it looks good!
  • Denshiro - Dreamweaver
    Denshiro - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Currently, my Wizard uses Longevity, although I have two other genies, both of which are lvl 1. My Cleric uses Zeal.

I have the following skills on my Wizard's genie:

lvl 10 Second Wind

lvl 9 Sand Shield

lvl 10 Holy Path

lvl 6 Mage Star

Here are the stats on that genie:

str 31

dex 31

vit 30

mag 30

And I only have 24/70 for Lucky Points. The genie is currently at lvl 71.

Here are the stats on the Cleric's genie:

for all stats: 35

Lucky Points: 39/60

Skills:

lvl 10 Second Wind

lvl 5 Tangling Mire

lvl 4 Nullify Poison

lvl 10 Rainbow Blessing

The lvl of the genie is 69.

Anyone know of a faster way of adding skill slots to the genies?
  • Scrubby - Heavens Tear
    Scrubby - Heavens Tear Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm rather out of the loop on how far genie talk has come, but I've noticed ToP popping up alot and I'm wondering what people have found as a min base value for say hp and defense for it to be worth it to them.

Also the pros and cons of ToP vs windshield. (if this were my last slot on genie)
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    I'm rather out of the loop on how far genie talk has come, but I've noticed ToP popping up alot and I'm wondering what people have found as a min base value for say hp and defense for it to be worth it to them.

Also the pros and cons of ToP vs windshield. (if this were my last slot on genie)

imo ToP does not belong on a wiz genie. At this point in the game you'd be totally gimping yourself if you don't have a dex genie with spark on your genie (at least for pvp).. and ToP does not go well with a dex genie. What's your genie look like btw?
  • Scrubby - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2013
    imo ToP does not belong on a wiz genie. At this point in the game you'd be totally gimping yourself if you don't have a dex genie with spark on your genie (at least for pvp).. and ToP does not go well with a dex genie. What's your genie look like btw?

I stopped pk'ing for a while when I took a slight break from the game and since medals dropped I slapped in mag/dex gears instead of vit/dex which were nice for pk.

I think right now I have an 89/100 longevity with the base stats being 42 for magic, 45 vit, rest dex.

The skills have swapped around but atm for nw i think i have: domain, holypath, spark, badge, ep, expel, fortify.

Been half looking for that elusive 91+/100 longevity with no luck.

Other skills that have touched my genie: remove paralysis, frenzy(purely tw), will surge.
    I saw your suggestions for when you have used faith and I would like to try a genie with it.
    Also windshield looks appealing especially if I decide to go the jade way, which will be very reluctant but seems needed if I want to pk sadly. Those zerk crit off has hurt too much -.-

I've felt he same about ToP, I do not believe castors ever have enough hp unless you are sharding full cit gems in +12 r9s3 to get any use from ToP. Gogo wiz str genie with occult.

P.S. I got all my ideas of how my genie works from the video you posted long time ago with you vs Calvin. Thanks for that.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    I stopped pk'ing for a while when I took a slight break from the game and since medals dropped I slapped in mag/dex gears instead of vit/dex which were nice for pk.

I think right now I have an 89/100 longevity with the base stats being 42 for magic, 45 vit, rest dex.

The skills have swapped around but atm for nw i think i have: domain, holypath, spark, badge, ep, expel, fortify.

Been half looking for that elusive 91+/100 longevity with no luck.

Other skills that have touched my genie: remove paralysis, frenzy(purely tw), will surge.
    I saw your suggestions for when you have used faith and I would like to try a genie with it.
    Also windshield looks appealing especially if I decide to go the jade way, which will be very reluctant but seems needed if I want to pk sadly. Those zerk crit off has hurt too much -.-

I've felt he same about ToP, I do not believe castors ever have enough hp unless you are sharding full cit gems in +12 r9s3 to get any use from ToP. Gogo wiz str genie with occult.

P.S. I got all my ideas of how my genie works from the video you posted long time ago with you vs Calvin. Thanks for that.

Sounds like you have a good genie! You may want to skip on faith, it is far less useful with a purify wep now.. I think the only time I've used it since I got my wep was to purify an ep sleep once.. just hardly has any use now lol. I think something like wind shield would be great on your genie, especially now with purify wep. It buys extra time while you wait for that purify to gtfo of trouble.. or just temporarily increases your survival by like 27%, which is almost always a good thing XD

I'm glad you found the vid helpful, I'm hoping to make vids again in the not too distant future :D
    edited January 2013
    http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html#skills=101c2730363f53&lev=103&lp=85

98dex
    45mag
    60vit

Decided to change my playstyle up and adapt some new strategies since i'll be changing gear soon and have a learning curve anyways. I'm thinking that this will be a good all around genie for small scale pvp and 1v1's. I'm going to miss my windshield but i'll learn to live without it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Scrubby - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2013
    Sounds like you have a good genie! You may want to skip on faith, it is far less useful with a purify wep now.. I think the only time I've used it since I got my wep was to purify an ep sleep once.. just hardly has any use now lol. I think something like wind shield would be great on your genie, especially now with purify wep. It buys extra time while you wait for that purify to gtfo of trouble.. or just temporarily increases your survival by like 27%, which is almost always a good thing XD

I'm glad you found the vid helpful, I'm hoping to make vids again in the not too distant future :D

ty for the input and yea i was thinking windshield if i finally give up and pay for jades it will just magnify it that much more. I had just never used faith before despite thinking of genie builds that fit it. I did like the ideas u have of getting certain immunities before aoes with faith but willsurge + fortify should work just fine.

If you were ever interested in seeing how I've played since before r9 up to my current gear set my youtube channel is: scrubbywiz.

I just have no vids of me with a purify weapon mostly out of being lazy.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html#skills=101c2730363f53&lev=103&lp=85

98dex
    45mag
    60vit

Decided to change my playstyle up and adapt some new strategies since i'll be changing gear soon and have a learning curve anyways. I'm thinking that this will be a good all around genie for small scale pvp and 1v1's. I'm going to miss my windshield but i'll learn to live without it

I've been looking at redoing my genie as well.. new gear new genie XD The absolute must haves are fortify/badge/spark, and holy path/domain are also just about set it stone as well. Assuming I could get my hands on a 91+ genie.. the other contenders I'm looking at are (bolded are what I'm leaning towards right now)..

wind force
    poison
    wind shield
    aquaflame armor
    soul of fire
    will surge
    frenzy

I absolutely love wind force.. it's basically a cheap holy path you can use in the air, fantastic for chasing people down (I do that a lot).. for getting out of trouble, getting to the action more quickly, and just overall convenience while doing anything.

Poison is also awesome, having a way to amp non-fire skills (or extra amp on fire skills) is nice, especially because other people can benefit from it too.

Wind shield is nice, spammable reduced damage has obvious benefits

Aquaflame is like wind shield, but not as spammable although more reduction (and the ugly amp at the end)

Soul of fire is nice vs other wizzies, but I hate to have a skill for just one situation. If I know wizzies are around that use spark a lot.. I tend to just save ele shell for when I see spark, and there really aren't that many wizzies I'm too worried about on LC.. there are a number of ways to deal with spark, not sure if I can justify a skill slot as a counter to a single genie skill.

I could definitely see will surge being useful in taking down targets with the psy seal buff.. so annoying wasting a sutra combo with the first hit causing a seal for the duration of spark :/ Also be nice right after a purify proc, I've noticed the first reaction by bms/sins etc is to seal right after, would be nice to have a way to resist that if I really wanted to get a hit off lol.

Frenzy is a nice way to increase aoe dmg, problem is it costs a lot of energy and doesn't amp the dmg that much.. plus eats your def for a while :/

So right now I'm thinking something like this, which is like what you have minus soul of fire and with wind force + aquaflame haha
    http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html#skills=03102730363f4553&lev=102
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    ty for the input and yea i was thinking windshield if i finally give up and pay for jades it will just magnify it that much more. I had just never used faith before despite thinking of genie builds that fit it. I did like the ideas u have of getting certain immunities before aoes with faith but willsurge + fortify should work just fine.

If you were ever interested in seeing how I've played since before r9 up to my current gear set my youtube channel is: scrubbywiz.

I just have no vids of me with a purify weapon mostly out of being lazy.

Ooo, I'll take a look at your vids probably sometime later tonight :D
    edited January 2013
    I prefer windshield to aquaflame armor, but thats just preference. The spamability of windshield is great for those "o ****" moments like getting hit with genie spark and then getting slept while they channel a pyro or something. I wish i could get an 85+ discipline for windforce. Never been able to make/find one with the skill still on it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Scrubby - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2013
    I prefer windshield to aquaflame armor, but thats just preference. The spamability of windshield is great for those "o ****" moments like getting hit with genie spark and then getting slept while they channel a pyro or something. I wish i could get an 85+ discipline for windforce. Never been able to make/find one with the skill still on it

I'm on the same route with frenzy just not a fan of debuffing myself and I think i feel the same way about aquaflame armor. I've not had a great deal of use with windshield but the math in my head points towards that being more useful. I'm not sure about aquaflame(pretty sure it doesn't) but I do like that windshield scales with dex genies.

And to Will Surge, I like to keep that on my genie for when I pk just for the reason people seem addicted to psy buffs and some said people are getting cheeky by getting +12 weapon psy buffs, which is rather annoying.
    edited January 2013
    I agree about psy buffs. I actually use will surge a lot agianst mages. I mean you know when a seal is about to be hit. I have frenzy on my tw genie because i've played forever lol. I should probalby find something better to use once I upgrade my gear to r999
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Scrubby - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2013
    I agree about psy buffs. I actually use will surge a lot agianst mages. I mean you know when a seal is about to be hit. I have frenzy on my tw genie because i've played forever lol. I should probalby find something better to use once I upgrade my gear to r999

Yea as much as the aoe dmg is nice there seems to always be a better way to use genie than frenzy other than for the lols.

I think somebody said before probably adroit too lazy to check but willsurge with sutra is good example. Stupid psy buffs -.-
    edited January 2013
    http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html#skills=1e273136515354&lev=103&lp=85

Vit/Mag genie

Think it would be a good idea to sub out frenzy for willsurge on it to have unstoppable ultis? fortify/willsurge combo. I just don't really know what to replace it with. Evil ward seems nice if you see a dg incoming. That way AD wouldnt get wasted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaceRolI - Sanctuary
    FaceRolI - Sanctuary Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    badge will become less common

dmg reduction like ws or afa will become more common.

no replies necessary lets just see b:thanks
    full r999 91% chan wizzy b:kiss

Current build: pwcalc.com/bf1f46790766e26d
    LuLz: pwcalc.com/20f3fa96ab3c4dc0