Vote for the next PWI Forum Mod!

Comments

• SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Ironically there is a vote tomorrow on who's going to be a new governor and stuff.

This is the same thing but on a smaller scale. lol b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Meh .
    b:dirty
  • storehammy
    storehammy Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    For fear of offering a direct opinion on the chosen candidates, I'll try to do my best not to and simply say that an appropriate CM would have made the right choice.

This is may not be frankie's stated topic, but it is of great relevance to the thread.

This forum is understaffed because there are 18 major boards and 15 sub-boards, all of which are in desperate need of moderation, and I have been on these boards 2 years, and I don't think there has every been more than 5-6 part time mods.

Oh the irony of editing to add this quote:

Yay!

In truth, the forums are better divided into 4 major boards. 4-6 humans could reasonably moderate this entire forum. (or 1 animal/hamster + 1 human)
    1. General discussion.
    2. Tech support.
    3. The server subforums + class discussion.
    4. Etc (Screenshots and vids, fanatics, etc)

Boards such as trading post, quest help. etc etc don't get much traffic.
    Also setting up a real time forum post scrolling wheel similar to what I employed (minus the time altering abilities of mine) could easily be set up for the mods to help them better moderate.
    wellllll just because i dont like any of these people, ill choose fuzzy because he makes me laugh(sometimes)

p.s. hiiii hammy *gives sunflower seeds*

ello.
    ^.^
    *nom nom nom*
    hemoglobin: idk how the hell you can turn the word burrito into something sexual. perversion at its finest
    b:shocked
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    A clone of MagicHamsta... wow. He's original but you're not.

Me are hibernating. *poof*
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    And yes I'm so 1337 i can has post with less than 10 chars. D:
    b:dirty
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    don't let the avatar fool ya, i been here equally as long and the lack of mods wasn't such an issue in the past when people actually self censored themselves/had some modicum of self control for the most part and 90% of the forum posts were actually game related.

but it's time for me to hit the hay, work tomorrow b:surrender I am sure this discussion will still be ongoing tomorrow.

I think a lot of the raging and general nastiness on the forums is that a large number of people who post nowadays tend to use the forum as a sounding board for why they hate <insert change PWI has made here>, and most of them don't do it in a very mature or polite fashion, which breeds a lot of nastiness.

Now if the forum had appropriate numbers of staff, I don't think it would be much of a problem, or at least not near the problem that it is now. But combine the use of the forums as a rage sounding board with the near void of staff (at certain times of the day, an actual void), and you get, well, the current climate.

I think editing is legit now because it's a totally different person I'm responding too <_< xD
    storehammy wrote: »
    In truth, the forums are better divided into 4 major boards. 4-6 humans could reasonably moderate this entire forum. (or 1 animal/hamster + 1 human)
    1. General discussion.
    2. Tech support.
    3. The server subforums + class discussion.
    4. Etc (Screenshots and vids, fanatics, etc)

Boards such as trading post, quest help. etc etc don't get much traffic.
    Also setting up a real time forum post scrolling wheel similar to what I employed (minus the time altering abilities of mine) could easily be set up for the mods to help them better moderate.

It's true that there are a lot of small things that could be done to help a small (not as small as it is now, but small) number of people mod these boards. The most glaring one I could think of now is to add an auto-lock or auto-delete for posts over a certain age. It always amazes me the number of posts sitting in general discussion that can be bumped at any time. Why not delete or lock these posts? It (deleting) would speed up the forums and (either) would prevent necros.

In my estimation, a force of 10-12 people could do a pretty good job, especially if they're picked with consideration to times they'd be most active, so that the board has a mod more or less on at any given time. Still, that's twice what we've ever had, and almost 4 times the staff we have now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    And yes I'm so 1337 i can has post with less than 10 chars. D:

Yeah.... That's cause it's changed to 5 chars now instead of 10 and your post had exactly 5 chars. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • immortalroses
    immortalroses Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Against my better judgment, I feel compelled to make a post here in order to aid in this process (this is my FW account btw not a made troll for this post :p). I was only made aware of this through the fireworks show on my msn once this was posted and have since been following. I will say this one thing and take my leave. This is a ninja post to quell my selfish needs to get msn messages off my back (<3 you people) and to help frankie in this process...

There are some inherent issues in putting up a poll such as this as many I think have been able to pick out. Popularity and alts voting can be an issue, and there is no doubt that that simple fact will happen, if has not already started. However, there is also some good in this process and I think that everyone needs to see through to the good in this.

Whether or not anyone agrees with all of the "finalists," everyone must resign themselves to the fact that one of these 6 WILL be a new Mod on these forums. As such, it is the responsibility of the community to vote for the one they feel will do the best in keeping these forums at peace and maybe aid in bringing back the overall "Community" feel that these forums once had. There is still a lot of rebuilding to be done on all sides; from the community and the administration.

This should not be a popularity vote, it should be a vote from the community on who will do the best. I am of the hopes that this community will get a US Mod (as it is much needed) and that the Mod will be able to maintain the professionalism of the position as well as maintaining a fun personality to fit with the community as a whole.

Not everyone will be happy with the process or the newly chosen Mod, however, this process is a simple attempt to give the community what they asked for. I do not think that anyone needs to begin linking the various threads that represents the insane state the forums was in after Shelly and Grim were chosen and Kon momentarily brought back. There was even a huge thread made by a fellow forum member outlining the exact process frankie is using here and much of the community agreed with the process.

I guess everyone just needs to look at is as a small peace offering and to show that some of what the community was thinking/saying has been received.

Everyone does not have to like this and we all know many won't but the fact remains that one of these 6 WILL be the new Mod for these forums and as such people SHOULD vote for one to whom they believe will do the best job!

Besides, it works like any "election," if you do not vote, you have no right to complain later. So look into these applicants and vote, if not, anything you say after one is appointed means nothing. Love it, hate it, dislike it...fact is this is the way it is. Just vote for the best qualified!

Be good...eh, well as good as anyone in this community can be. b:chuckle

See you all in FW...Phase one is amazing so far!! b:cute

---/--
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • storehammy
    edited November 2010
    ^(o.o) what is more amazing is how my signature broke the forum.

(Check out how many lines it has.)
    xD

also 1 char.
    b:avoid

Also yes, FW was fun.
    d(^.^)
    And I am in agreement with Reds.
    b:thanks
    hemoglobin: idk how the hell you can turn the word burrito into something sexual. perversion at its finest
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary

• KuiXing - Harshlands
    KuiXing - Harshlands Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Alphae suck it up or dont post, if you dont like it then leave the thread as frankie stated. if you want something better suggest something instead of shooting what was got down. we asked for this after the mod disaster a few weeks ago. so zip it or leave bc hear you complain is getting tiresome.

Edit: Hamstaaaa your back :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the best mom ever, she brought me drugs and fruit juice - Reavღ
    Challenge accepted I'm going to go blow up the sun - FanFon
    Those crabs are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going... - Wildsblade
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    How Zoe even made it into the final six I don't even know and it's almost enough to make me say that I don't feel Frankie did actually check post history. And, on the assumption Frankie did, I don't think that the responses to such posts were investigated. Because if they had been I'm confident Zoe wouldn't even be on that list.

This is a huge popularity contest at this point. People have been voting on multiple alts and they will continue to do so, and not because they actually feel that one person would make a good mod but because "Oh hey I can **** people off if this person gets it" or suchlike. People will vote for such stupid reasons, too.

Letting people apply was nice, I'll admit. Letting us vote was a bad option given the state of the community right now. This is one step forward and then one step backwards in a way. Potentially two depending on who ends up as mod.

For example. Fuzzy is a great guy and all and some of his posts make a lot of sense but I can't stand the fact he talks in third person. Huge rip off of the way Hamsta always posted and I seriously think that's the only reason he's since been voted for so much. Hamsta rip off and everybody misses Hamsta. /rolleyes
    Mods should be able to post seriously, in first person, and be able to address both others and themselves properly. But hey, it's not even like I post much on these forums any more. They got incessantly boring after people went crazy with the ban hammer and the delete/lock button and encouraged a great number of other veterans to outright leave. I've not seen a single worthwhile topic on this forum since. So I suppose in that sense it really doesn't matter who's made mod and who isn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cun - Lost City
    Cun - Lost City Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Oh nice b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To be or not to be.
    Current Goals: none.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Going to just make a few selections, and snip in interests of length.
    This should not be a popularity vote, it should be a vote from the community on who will do the best. I am of the hopes that this community will get a US Mod (as it is much needed) and that the Mod will be able to maintain the professionalism of the position as well as maintaining a fun personality to fit with the community as a whole.
    I would hope that this would be the case, but already several posts in this thread tell me it will be much more popularity than actual modding capability.
    I guess everyone just needs to look at is as a small peace offering and to show that some of what the community was thinking/saying has been received.
    I think the app thread was more than enough of a peace offering, and while I didn't agree with that, I could at least understand the reasoning behind it.
    Everyone does not have to like this and we all know many won't but the fact remains that one of these 6 WILL be the new Mod for these forums and as such people SHOULD vote for one to whom they believe will do the best job!

Besides, it works like any "election," if you do not vote, you have no right to complain later. So look into these applicants and vote, if not, anything you say after one is appointed means nothing. Love it, hate it, dislike it...fact is this is the way it is. Just vote for the best qualified!
    I do feel a twinge when not voting, because I consider voting IRL to be one of the most important things you can do, but I disagree with this method of choosing a mod very strongly, and I don't know any other way to express that than by not voting, and by saying so, and why, in this thread.

To me, using this method is like a boss of a large firm picking 6 people who might be promoted and then polling the whole workplace on it. A large majority won't know any of the people, and those that do will have already formed opinions on them, and most of those opinions won't be related to their -capability- to do the job they might be chosen for. A manager would never do this. A community manager shouldn't either.
    Alphae suck it up or dont post, if you dont like it then leave the thread as frankie stated. if you want something better suggest something instead of shooting what was got down. we asked for this after the mod disaster a few weeks ago. so zip it or leave bc hear you complain is getting tiresome.

Edit: Hamstaaaa your back :D
    Complaining and disagreeing, or dissenting if you wish to call it, are two different things. While they have similar definitions, their connotations are quite different. The former carries a connotation of whining without and real substance. The latter carries of connotation of disagreement with well thought-out reasons.

Just because I'm disagreeing doesn't mean you have to do it too. I never asked anyone to agree with me, I'm simply saying why I disagree. I think that is a legitimate response. If you don't want to read my posts, please, don't.

I did suggest something, but it is past that point now. I suggested that it would have been more appropriate for frankie to make the final decision. But we're between a rock and a hard place because frankie has very little (dare I say, nothing) in the way of fellow veteran staff that can help him make an appropriate, informed decision. Failing that, I would still suggest frankie have picked 1 from the application thread privately. But that ship has sailed.

All I can suggest now is to do a MOST thorough vetting of the votes to make sure alts aren't voting, and to add a disclaimer that the poll is only PART of the final approval process, and that frankie will be making the final decision, keeping the popular vote in mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Spirit_Age - Raging Tide
    Spirit_Age - Raging Tide Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I would like to vote, but the only one that i have seen and can remember around the forums is Fuzzy. I don't feel well informed enough to be able to vote for anyone. Can you have everyone write a one page paragarph or something? Thanks Frankie
    I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN . Expansion was over hyped. Guild bases (that looked cool) can be destroyed, so why waste the time if your a in a small faction like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Dorset. I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN
    -ZeroDefects-"trollin trollin trollin. keep those flames a rollin. keep that post count growing. flamebait!" -Vitenka- "You are modifying the game files. That's not allowed. The freaking end."
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I would like to vote, but the only one that i have seen and can remember around the forums is Fuzzy. I don't feel well informed enough to be able to vote for anyone. Can you have everyone write a one page paragarph or something? Thanks Frankie

I've included a link to each candidate's application in the original post of this thread.

You can also do further research on each candidate by using the "Search" function to see every post they've ever made. Just make sure you select "Posts" instead of "Threads" at the bottom left of the search box.

Also, if any of the candidates would like to post in this thread to say more about themselves, they are welcome to do so, but not required.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    fuzzy +1 from me then
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Also, if any of the candidates would like to post in this thread to say more about themselves, they are welcome to do so, but not required.

Well, I wasn't going to post (don't want to really influence the voting), but after the invitation...I guess I will post here. Hopefully it doesn't seem desperate, lol.

All I can say is, do what frankie says. Look up all of our post histories and pick from those who you think would be the best choice. No matter who gets picked, I think they will do a great job. Vote well!

See you guys on the other side of this poll!

*will not post in this thread anymore*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Zoe-Not very good impression
    Fuzzy-Possible but the way he speaks in third person is pretty annoying(to me)
    Krisnda-Never heard of
    Pressa-Never heard of
    KrittyCat-Pretty helpful when I've seen him
    Dyskrasia-Never heard of

Obviously,I need to lurk the forums more.
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited November 2010

My reason for not posting in this thread at the moment is because people will vote for who they want to vote for, and while many people are voting legit, people will also vote who they like the most. No one is 100% un-biased, so just
    Do further research on each candidate by using the "Search" function to see every post they've ever made. Just make sure you select "Posts" instead of "Threads" at the bottom left of the search box.
    And make sure that you make your own choice. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Cun - Lost City
    Cun - Lost City Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Cun would like to inform everyone that from now on he will type in third person.

Sorry (Cun) couldn't stop myself (himself) b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To be or not to be.
    Current Goals: none.
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Hum... I don't really know what to say about myself without sounding like a complete dork, lol. My post in the application thread doesn't really put me in the best light because I didn't think I actually had a chance at making the short list, so it comes off as kind of flippant. What I said there still holds true though: I enjoy the responsibility of moderating a forum, and I like this community and want to help as much as I can. I spend more time on the forums than I do in game these days, though it doesn't seem to be quite as active as it once was so I lurk more than anything. I feel like if I were a mod, I would respond quickly to things because of how often I browse the forums. I also have some experience when it comes to managing a forum. For anyone who's curious, I used to be a moderator on a forum for a web based game targeted mostly towards teenage girls, and we were attacked by trolls on what felt like a weekly basis, so I'm used to that. lol. I left after about a year and a half of moderating because it felt like as I got older, the average member was getting younger and I just.. outgrew it. Never had any complaints about how I did my job, though :)

I'm a little bummed about how the poll's going so far, but I understand it... nobody knows who the hell I am lol. I think that most of the people in the poll are good choices, though, so I can't say I'm entirely unhappy with the situation. I just hope that when this is all over, the community is happy with their choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    To Krinsda:

The color you choose for typing gives me a headache.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Frankly, I think I'd be fine with any of the choices except Zoe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • storehammy
    edited November 2010
    Dyskrasia
    >:

Also Frankie, might me suggest:
    A. Choosing two new mods from this poll. (1st place + one of your choosing since 1st place + 2nd place seems too much of a popularity contest.)

B. Make winner of poll mod but hold another vote later with other possible candidates. (Continue as required.)

C. Make winner of poll mod & hold a meeting with darth, wererat, usagi, shnuggles, kanto, shnuggles's pet cat, shubei, ironman, LokisDottir, etc to choose another person as mod. (Must include shnuggles's pet cat and possibly one other pet.)
    b:chuckle
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary

• Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    It is good in Fuzzy's opinion Frankie put it to the community to vote. It may look like a "popularity contest" to some, but me has faith people will actually consider the names to choose from and not just simply cast a vote with no regard. As suggested by Frankie there are many ways to take the time and look at what each person put forth has to say now, and has said in the past. Fuzzy sees many people posting here, and having a new mod is a step in the right direction to keep debate lively and to foster an atmosphere where all the players of PWI can feel free to voice their opinion on any issue that may face the player base as a whole.
    I can't stand the way fuzzy posts, not that he's a bad guy, its just annoying and its been done.
    he's pretty even headed though...

It may very well be true some may not enjoy the way Fuzzy speaks about himself, but to say "its been done"?? It is obvious as to who this reference is pointed. However, there is no possible way to accuse Fuzzy of ever being unclear as to what it is me is trying to say. If somehow injecting some creativity and fun into the way one posts is a detriment in the eyes of a few others, so be it. Because everyone else posts in the 1st person does the same argument apply? The simple fact still remains Fuzzy's point is never lost in the way he communicates. Even though we may debate issues on the forum some view with the utmost importance, enjoying ones self while still being serious can't be a bad thing.

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    storehammy wrote: »

D'aww... prepared for every situation, aren't you, hammy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    +1, I wanted to vote for ya b:surrender
    b:cute
    with the comment made by you, in a now locked thread, about killing all ****.. Id almost want Zoe over you

Why are people allowed to name and shame me in such a way like that continuously but I am not allowed to make a proper defense for myself with a solid counter argument if it continually gets edited out?

Either way you, along with everyone else that keeps mentioning posts you don't seem to like, blow it way out of proportion because it rubs you the wrong way. Considering I am not allowed to defend myself on that case I apparently have to deal with people directly breaking rules such as you to name and shame me in particular because of it. Down to the point, who is the one doing wrong now?
  • Babyxxx - Raging Tide
    Babyxxx - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2010

Again, being liked by the community is nice but not a prerequisite for being a mod, it's being -respected- by the community for their posts, and being knowledgeable about game and forum dynamics. There is a subtle, but very real and very important difference.

So basically what you are really saying, is you don't trust the forum users to vote for the RIGHT reasons, and that they will let personal bias towards the people involved determine their vote.. which of course means its all Frankie's fault..
    *nod nod* yes i follow that ridiculously skewed logic.. it all makes sense now b:laugh

(anyway, i voted for Fuzzy, since he is someone i have personal experience with and have never seen him act in a disrespectful way as well as my belief that he is knowledgeable about the game.. I also believe he wouldn't have applied for the position if he wasn't ready/willing to meet the challenge) Go Go Fuzzy!

oh wait, i mean i voted for Fuzzy because panda bears are cute and i am mindless (hopefully that reason meets your expectations better.. wouldn't want to disappoint you) ;)
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I like you Fuzzy, just sometimes it's hard for me to fully get what you say, lol.
    But I don't know if it would be that bad to have you as a mod. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'm still a bit concerned that alt accounts can vote for the same person multiple times, but there's flaws to everything and nothing can be 100% perfect, so I'm not complaining. The gesture to give the community some say in things should be appreciated; I'm fine with whoever gets it and I'm always open to giving people a chance to prove themselves.

Whether or not the process is the most effective way of approaching it; all in all, it's a way of involving and engaging the community in the decision. For that, I think frankie deserves some credit and applause for the efforts.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI