DQ Update! *Dragon Points*

frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Hey everyone,

So it's been some time since DQ items were changed to vendor for less coin, and since that time, we've tried to come up with ways to compensate you all for this.

I'm pleased to announce that we are only a few weeks away from implementing a new system that we hope you all will be happy with:

Dragon Points!

So I can't get too much into specifics just yet, as this system is currently in development, but the basic outline is this:

Certain DQ items, when vendored at NPCs, will not only give you in-game coins, but also "Dragon Points" on our site. Once you accumulate enough of these points, you will then be able to redeem them for various in-game items!

At this time we can't reveal which items will be available, but I can assure you that they will be very useful, and that they will definitely be worth the effort.

So feel free to discuss this whole system, and please let us know what you think.

Thanks!
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Ha.

Depending on what the 'in-game items' we are going to receive makes this worth it or not...

Until we know what the items are and how many points needed...There really is not much to discuss, imo. b:chuckle

Can't say I'm not interested in it though, it does sound interesting. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Cool Frankie!!! Sounds like this could be a good solution to me! With DQ items just good for coin for the most part anyway, and with most people used to the change by now, this should turn out to a good compromise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Sounds neat. Any idea whether or not the redeemable items will be tradeable?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • frankieraye
    edited October 2010
    Sounds neat. Any idea whether or not the redeemable items will be tradeable?

Pretty sure they're not going to be tradeable; we're trying to affect the economy as little as possible.

Good question :)
  • Xaeria - Dreamweaver
    Xaeria - Dreamweaver Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Should be interesting to see this new system. Like someone before me wondered, are the items going to be tradable? And if not, can they be sold for coins?

Edit: Not tradable? D: Hope they're really useful, then...
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Thank you for getting back to us on this update; it's been a very long while and I can only say I hope it was worth the wait.

I would take a wild guess and say Hypers are going to be on that list of redeemable items, but I'll try not to shoot down this idea too early. Hopefully the list will be up within the next couple of weeks too, I'm intrigued to know what will be on it. (I'm also intrigued to know if 'Dragon Point' prices will be ridiculous or not, but again, trying not to shoot down an infant idea too early. I'm just a pessimist.)

-edit-

Untradeable? Suddenly this idea seems to be missing the entire point of the whole "DQ prices were nerfed thus curbing coin income of those who would grind it for money."

=|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Distinction - Raging Tide
    Distinction - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    nah, dun like it.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Pretty sure they're not going to be tradeable; we're trying to affect the economy as little as possible.

Good question :)

I'd love to see a list of these items as soon as possible.

If they're untradeable, they need to NPC for at least enough coin to make up the difference we lost when you nerfed DQ.

For instance:
    If it costs 30 DQ 21 to get Item X
    Original sellback of DQ21 = 100 coin, nerfed sellback = 90 coin
    Total lost coin from NPCing 30 DQ21 = 30*(100-90) = 300 coin
    Then Item X needs to NPC for at least 300 coin.

Otherwise will not exactly be a fix ><
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Untradeable? Suddenly this idea seems to be missing the entire point of the whole "DQ prices were nerfed thus curbing coin income of those who would grind it for money."

=|

Unless some of the items available are things that people already spend coins on (sockets, shards, whatever... that's all that's coming to mind but you get the idea. lol)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Reaperarm - Harshlands
    Reaperarm - Harshlands Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I guess what they are saying with this fix is if you want coins charge more zen. Or you can keep grinding for DQ drops and trade them in for points for useless junk. I'm also guessing that it's probably a rediculous amount of these "Dragon Points" needed to trade them in for one of these useless items. Maybe im wrong though and this is actually a good thing. Guess we will see in a few weeks. Still pessimistic about it though.b:shutup
    If you find yourself hopelessly pulled towards running into massive amounts of mobs in a vain attempt to aoe them all to death.......You just might be a bm.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    Unless some of the items available are things that people already spend coins on (sockets, shards, whatever... that's all that's coming to mind but you get the idea. lol)

That's true, but being the pessimist I am and based on previous decisions, I think we're more likely to see Hypers or Oracles as rewards - as the people who would really be socketing armour at this point are endgame players who've reached the stage where they're using armour that they aren't about to decompose or sell to make something else.

I dunno, it just seems a more likely theory that Dragon Points will be redeemed for such things given PWE's utter determination to make Hypers as available as possible so everybody can just power level to endgame, forget to learn their skills and get good gear and "Oopsies, time to charge zen!"

Or maybe I'm still a total pessimist. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shao_on_Fire - Heavens Tear
    Shao_on_Fire - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    The really sad thing is, this sounds like a good idea- but, they've screwed everything else up in the past.... oh heck, I lost track- we'll just say past 8(?) months; I wouldn't be shocked to see them miss the mark entirely on this one as well.
  • Scandalous - Dreamweaver
    Scandalous - Dreamweaver Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Sounds Interesting, Thank you for letting us know that at least something is happening. b:thanks b:pleased
    Back from Retirement

Calamity taking over Dreamweaver since March 2009.
    RIP Calamity - October 30th / 2010
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Glad to hear an update, thank you. =)

Sounds interesting. I'll be excited to see what items will be included in this.
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    nah, dun like it.

Distinction is displeased. Your argument is invalid.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Cun - Lost City
    Cun - Lost City Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Finally something is being done b:thanks
    Let's just hope it doesn't cause more chaos >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To be or not to be.
    Current Goals: none.
  • frankieraye
    edited October 2010
    Should be interesting to see this new system. Like someone before me wondered, are the items going to be tradable? And if not, can they be sold for coins?

Edit: Not tradable? D: Hope they're really useful, then...

Almost all of the items can be sold for coins :)
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like a good idea. I kinda prefer rewards to sometimes be untradeable so I feel free to use them as opposed to resell them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • LifeHunting - Lost City
    LifeHunting - Lost City Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Hey everyone,

So it's been some time since DQ items were changed to vendor for less coin, and since that time, we've tried to come up with ways to compensate you all for this.

I'm pleased to announce that we are only a few weeks away from implementing a new system that we hope you all will be happy with:

Dragon Points!

So I can't get too much into specifics just yet, as this system is currently in development, but the basic outline is this:

Certain DQ items, when vendored at NPCs, will not only give you in-game coins, but also "Dragon Points" on our site. Once you accumulate enough of these points, you will then be able to redeem them for various in-game items!

At this time we can't reveal which items will be available, but I can assure you that they will be very useful, and that they will definitely be worth the effort.

So feel free to discuss this whole system, and please let us know what you think.

Thanks!

If charms are on that list (Gold/Plat) and are for say 40 Dragon points? (Depending on chance of getting the points this could be either very easy or very hard to gather) I would have to say that this could work very nicely.

I know it'd give me incentive to farm some higher lvl mobs just for all the DQ drops i'd get :3
    edited October 2010

So are they gonna be new items that are worth a fair amount of money when sold to an NPC? =D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrunkWizard - Lost City
    DrunkWizard - Lost City Posts: 523 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    does the items we npced before this patch still count for points? o.o hope it does , coz i npced zillions. between my alts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I would guess that making it retro-active to a recent patch would be pretty difficult to do, so my guess would be probably not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    The devil is in the details, I'm sure, but this does sound like a good idea.

If the items are untradeable but sellable then my assumption is that the NPC price is going to be somewhat low, since that would give people who actually want to play and use the items more value than potential coin-farmers would get.

If that indeed is what you're aiming for, then I predict about 50 threads popping up right after it goes live accusing PWI of greed. The complaints will be from all the people who are going to cry that such-and-such item isn't useful to their particular build, so why should they be penalized by such a low NPC price, and whine whine whine and blah blah blah. b:chuckle

Personally, though, I'm in favour of any change that helps out grinders. I don't grind, but I do respect the effort grinders put in to making everybody else rich, and so I think it's fair that they should get paid a bit more for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited October 2010

2 coins is still "coins," if it doesn't make up the price nerf difference, or if the item is not generally worth more than the price nerf difference, the update fixes nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    If the items are untradeable but sellable then my assumption is that the NPC price is going to be somewhat low, since that would give people who actually want to play and use the items more value than potential coin-farmers would get.

If that indeed is what you're aiming for, then I predict about 50 threads popping up right after it goes live accusing PWI of greed. The complaints will be from all the people who are going to cry that such-and-such item isn't useful to their particular build, so why should they be penalized by such a low NPC price, and whine whine whine and blah blah blah. b:chuckle

People are going to end up complaining no matter what happens. Even if this is an actual fix, and the items can be sold to NPC's for a price that would in effect equal the old DQ price, people will complain.

For instance: some DQ items, not all DQ items, yet all DQ items were nerfed. Proceed to QQ.

There's a complaint you're already going to get before this thing is even released. In general I'm just glad to see a fix finally being put into place, and I have my fingers crossed it's actually, ya know, a fix. Not just "Grind one million of this one DQ item, get a hyper stone."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    People are going to end up complaining no matter what happens. Even if this is an actual fix, and the items can be sold to NPC's for a price that would in effect equal the old DQ price, people will complain.
    Oh of course. Looking back at the history of PWI I've learned that any changes, even the good ones, produces an angry reaction from somebody. So I was just stating the obvious, really.

Most people don't differentiate between what's good for the game and what's good for them personally, and so they assume the two are the same. My feeling is that the game needs to tilt some advantages toward average players, rather than cash-shoppers, heavily geared instance farmers, or merchants like myself, and it sounds like that's what this is intended to do. But of course that's going to make somebody upset.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
    edited October 2010
    Oh of course. Looking back at the history of PWI I've learned that any changes, even the good ones, produces an angry reaction from somebody. So I was just stating the obvious, really.

Most people don't differentiate between what's good for the game and what's good for them personally, and so they assume the two are the same. My feeling is that the game needs to tilt some advantages toward average players, rather than cash-shoppers, heavily geared instance farmers, or merchants like myself, and it sounds like that's what this is intended to do. But of course that's going to make somebody upset.

I do agree with this. However, people should realize this is a compensation from the GMs to our reactions on the DQ prices reductions. Maybe just maybe, this is the start of PWE getting a grasp of how to improve the game for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010

I won't deny this is a fix in some form and that it's a very good thing to see. A little reward for everybody who continued to hang in there and hope they'd do something for the average player I suppose.

Yet until we see what items are redeemable and their potential NPC prices I think a lot of people are going to be incredibly sceptical about this fix and what it's actually going to "fix" or "improve" for them. For example: all DQ prices were nerfed and only some of the DQ items will give you dragon points.

Now for a completely theoretical scenario:

Let's say every Dew Orb gives you 1 DP and that the cheapest redeemable item is one Hyper Stone for 50.

In this scenario it really wouldn't be a fix at all. The DP cost might make up for the loss of money on the Dew Orbs, for example, but it wouldn't make up for the loss of coin from every other bit of DQ41 items.

It's an exaggerated example and I'm very probably wrong, but like I said everybody's going to be very sceptical of this new scheme and I know many will be trying to find the worst in it. Hopefully that exaggerated scenario is very much wrong and the redeemable items will be able to be sold for about the same price as the amount you would have lost, roughly.

(Not entirely. This fix does not cover the entire losses simply because it doesn't cover all the DQ items, thus coin has still been lost and grinding is still not as productive as is it used to be.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    How long is this dragon point market in game? 2 months?
    How long is DQ issue? 8 months. So you want to tell us, that you didn't have any idea how to fix it 6 for months? Only thanks to dragon point market this issue maybe will be fixed? What did you do at least 6 months before dragon market? I thing you were just fooling us around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    this sounds like a needlessly complex solution to an absurdly simple problem.

i don't understand why u just cant raise the prices back to normal.

this idea sounds very sketchy to me...b:surrender
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
This discussion has been closed.