edited September 2010
    Options
    Soooo...How much do you want for first place ? b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I applaud u for this, and i appreciate your hard work and i'm sorry that you had to deal with this so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • BeingHope - Raging Tide
    BeingHope - Raging Tide Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Soooo...How much do you want for first place ? b:cute
    Q.) Can I bribe you for 1st place?

A.) I will never, ever accept money, even if it is just a donation.
    I hate being given money. I am a giver, not a person who gets stuff.
    I applaud u for this, and i appreciate your hard work and i'm sorry that you had to deal with this so far.

Thanks Krisnda so much.
    Its because of you and a few others who cheer me up like this that lets me keep going.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    Cocobelle - Sanctuary Posts: 960 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You do know I'm joking right? As much as I know you're stressed right now, I'm pretty sure the people from my server meant no harm (asides from Dashiko and the other person). I really don't care if I get disqualified from the contest just because I was "spamming". I didn't know what I said to Nadis would affect you that much.

No one told you to take on the responsibility for the contest and you putting up with all these people is something I wouldn't do, really. So I give you credit and thank you for that.

Just ignore the posts if you get offended by it, I'm pretty sure if you don't "feed the trolls", they'll stop. They're just waiting for what kind of reaction you're going to get and posting a video response means you're affected by what they said and obviously, people will do more damage compared to what's already been done.

From the beginning, you should know that there will be people like this who will just ramble on and on about the same topic but all you have to do is ignore them. If you can't take it, which I know you can, don't do another contest because these things happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kyna - Lost City
    Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    =_= I have to applaud you for making it this far. I did one contest, and that was a small one. got flammed for it since i entered my own character >_> as the ONLY blademaster. (Sure, I entered myself but everyone was a venomancer >.< ) That one I left entirely up to public voting and I still got yelled at for being "Biased toward my own entry." x_x hell, she didn't even win. I was going to run another contest for the guys but I didn't feel like putting up with the ****.

Not to mention the explosion of disrespect lately. =_=;;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
    LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
    ... and a few losers....
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You do know I'm joking right? As much as I know you're stressed right now, I'm pretty sure the people from my server meant no harm (asides from Dashiko and the other person). I really don't care if I get disqualified from the contest just because I was "spamming". I didn't know what I said to Nadis would affect you that much.

No one told you to take on the responsibility for the contest and you putting up with all these people is something I wouldn't do, really. So I give you credit and thank you for that.

Just ignore the posts if you get offended by it, I'm pretty sure if you don't "feed the trolls", they'll stop. They're just waiting for what kind of reaction you're going to get and posting a video response means you're affected by what they said and obviously, people will do more damage compared to what's already been done.

From the beginning, you should know that there will be people like this who will just ramble on and on about the same topic but all you have to do is ignore them. If you can't take it, which I know you can, don't do another contest because these things happen.

I'm sorry for snapping.
    I'm just exhausted right now but I can't go back to sleep currently.

I know nobody told me to take on the responsibility of this.
    Its just that I wasn't prepared for all this hate now, especially since I'm sick.
    I took down that video just so you know.

Another contest?
    Currently I'm debating on if I should make one more or not.
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • Susylu - Heavens Tear
    Susylu - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,786 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I hope you feel better Hope. You did put a lot of effort into making this contest work for other people's entertainment and although I didn't enter for my own reasons, it was fun following the thread and seeing where it went.

Just a word of friendly advice though (probably cause you actually remind me of my youngest sister same age as you) - you really should refrain from venting and going into such detail about your state/emotions etc. It really does open you to more attack and criticism rather than sympathy and acknowledgement.

Having a second contest will probably be a bad idea. For one, I don't think you can really handle the criticisms that will inevitably come with leading a particular event. Not only that, there's only really a portion of players on PWI that look at the forums so your entries will probably end up being the same in the second.

I don't know why I bothered posting this but ehh I feel all grown up today xD All my contests fail but I speak the truth (I think?)

EDIT: WOW you all beat me to it...
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm sorry for snapping.
    I'm just exhausted right now but I can't go back to sleep currently.

I know nobody told me to take on the responsibility of this.
    Its just that I wasn't prepared for all this hate now, especially since I'm sick.
    I took down that video just so you know.

Another contest?
    Currently I'm debating on if I should make one more or not.

It's really no problem but if you're feeling sick, you should get some rest. I know everyone's waiting for results and such but I am pretty sure they can wait.

Well, nonetheless, you still put the video up and the people who it was targeted to still saw it. It's good that you removed it already.

And feel better.

@ Susy - Agreed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Altros - Sanctuary
    Altros - Sanctuary Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Okay, so I attempted to read through all the spam/flaming eachother/whater you want to called it, and stopped after 4 pages.

From what I can tell people are (for some reason which eludes me, if someone can enlighten me through solid evidence, please do) saying that this contest is rigged. I have nothing to add to this, because I feel that this contest is about as fair as possible. If you would like to contradict me on this, please provide solid evidence, not just twisted logic.

The second main issue appears to be the points from a description. It would not make sense to make it a stand-alond category, which would increase the max points for everyone, since it was stated that it was OPTIONAL. Nor would it make sense to fully remove it either, since there are those who spent time on those (myself not included). The best solution I can think of, is to factor it in to people who did write one, increase their max points, and have the percent rank them. EX: Let's say that person X scores 650/700, which would give them a 92.86% (rounded). Now let's that would put them in second place, because person Y scored 651/700 which is 93% putting them in first. Now assume that the description is 25 points, and person X scores a perfect on that. That would raise their score to 675/725, which is 93.1%, just barely putting them infront of person Y.

The logic behind a system like that, is that the description is not a major category, but has the possiblity to slightly raise your score. (Note that the above example is merely fictional, however the math is correct, if someone wants to try and contradict me on that, go ahead. However, note that I am practicing college junior level calculus for fun in my senior year of high school; so I am very confident in my math skills.)

Anyway, keep up the good work Hope, and hopefully this contest will be finished and out of your hair soon.

-Altros
    "No matter how dark the world is,
    light shall exist somewhere,
    even if only a small sliver,
    a light found among darkness,
    shines all the brighter." -unknown
  • Kahurangi - Sanctuary
    Kahurangi - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I hope you feel better Hope. You did put a lot of effort into making this contest work for other people's entertainment and although I didn't enter for my own reasons, it was fun following the thread and seeing where it went.

Just a word of friendly advice though (probably cause you actually remind me of my youngest sister same age as you) - you really should refrain from venting and going into such detail about your state/emotions etc. It really does open you to more attack and criticism rather than sympathy and acknowledgement.

Having a second contest will probably be a bad idea. For one, I don't think you can really handle the criticisms that will inevitably come with leading a particular event. Not only that, there's only really a portion of players on PWI that look at the forums so your entries will probably end up being the same in the second.

I don't know why I bothered posting this but ehh I feel all grown up today xD All my contests fail but I speak the truth (I think?)

EDIT: WOW you all beat me to it...

this +1, by responding in kind to trolls, you're lowering yourself to their level, and replying at all only gives them more ammunition. You've got to learn to totally ignore them :) Also... take a break from the forums and rest up, you shouldn't be posting and stressing when you're sick! b:cute
  • Altros - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    this +1, by responding in kind to trolls, you're lowering yourself to their level, and replying at all only gives them more ammunition. You've got to learn to totally ignore them :) Also... take a break from the forums and rest up, you shouldn't be posting and stressing when you're sick! b:cute

Which is why I still find it odd that forums do not have a "block person X from posting in this thread" option granted to the person who creates the thread. Maybe because it makes too much sense to do something like that.
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Which is why I still find it odd that forums do not have a "block person X from posting in this thread" option granted to the person who creates the thread. Maybe because it makes too much sense to do something like that.
    +1 there should be an option for this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
  • Kahurangi - Sanctuary
    Kahurangi - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options

Yes I totally agree with that, found it odd myself! GateWorld Forum has a function where you can block yourself from being able to view a certain user's posts. Mind you this was awhile back, haven't visited in a long time! This may already have been suggested in the Suggestion forum, I'll go have a nosy in a bit :p

Hope, I do apologize for going off-topic in your thread, I am kind of hoping that you do decide to do another Beauty Contest, one which I might actually enter this time :p But if you decide not to, I totally understand :)
  • Altros - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Yes I totally agree with that, found it odd myself! GateWorld Forum has a function where you can block yourself from being able to view a certain user's posts. Mind you this was awhile back, haven't visited in a long time! This may already have been suggested in the Suggestion forum, I'll go have a nosy in a bit :p

Hope, I do apologize for going off-topic in your thread, I am kind of hoping that you do decide to do another Beauty Contest, one which I might actually enter this time :p But if you decide not to, I totally understand :)

Another contest would be fun (if someone sprays the thread with trollbane first), and I would possibly have entered more of my characters...but I gave all my clothes away when I quit. Which was about...oh, 20 female clothes sets and 13 male sets? My friend and her hubby were very happy with all the new clothes thoughb:laugh.
  • Susylu - Heavens Tear
    Susylu - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,786 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's really no problem but if you're feeling sick, you should get some rest. I know everyone's waiting for results and such but I am pretty sure they can wait.

Well, nonetheless, you still put the video up and the people who it was targeted to still saw it. It's good that you removed it already.

And feel better.

@ Susy - Agreed.

We have the same number of posts b:laugh Must beat youuu

And getting back on topic!

You know one of the things that made this contest so hard is because you allowed too much room for people's opinions. The rules were modified according to people's wants which changed what the contest originally was going to be like. I guess this means the contest wasn't really organized from the beginning.

Not to say that that is neccessary a BAD thing, but you are the leader of the contest. You make the rules. If they decide to complain - well, they entered and from the moment they enter they are agreeing to be subject to the rules and judgments you made. And it's not enough for you to know this yourself, its to act like it is and taking charge and responsibility. This doesn't mean ignore trolls either, but learn how to deal with them properly without degrading yourself or them.

It's hard not to take offense at harsh words from others. Especially in a beauty contest where 90% of the people enter thinking that they look the best (if they thought they didn't look good why would they enter?) they will flame you if you give them low scores, ignore them, or give honest opinions.

Problem with these contests is that most people enter expecting to win instead of improving according to a particular pannel of judge's opinions.

Either way, I guess that's why I didn't enter. I already know what looks good for me, and I like the way my characters look even though my Teny tells me they look like utter ****. b:laugh I personally don't like many of the entries. Entering and getting either a bad or good score wouldn't have changed anything, I wouldn't have changed my character, and I'd hate to have a young girl charging money to give me an reward if I had won (unlikely).

I talk too much when I'm tired b:surrender
  • Altros - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options

You know one of the things that made this contest so hard is because you allowed too much room for people's opinions. The rules were modified according to people's wants which changed what the contest originally was going to be like. I guess this means the contest wasn't really organized from the beginning.

Not to say that that is neccessary a BAD thing, but you are the leader of the contest. You make the rules. If they decide to complain - well, they entered and from the moment they enter they are agreeing to be subject to the rules and judgments you made. And it's not enough for you to know this yourself, its to act like it is and taking charge and responsibility. This doesn't mean ignore trolls either, but learn how to deal with them properly without degrading yourself or them.

It's hard not to take offense at harsh words from others. Especially in a beauty contest where 90% of the people enter thinking that they look the best (if they thought they didn't look good why would they enter?) they will flame you if you give them low scores, ignore them, or give honest opinions.

Problem with these contests is that most people enter expecting to win instead of improving according to a particular pannel of judge's opinions.

Either way, I guess that's why I didn't enter. I already know what looks good for me, and I like the way my characters look even though my Teny tells me they look like utter ****. b:laugh I personally don't like many of the entries. Entering and getting either a bad or good score wouldn't have changed anything, I wouldn't have changed my character, and I'd hate to have a young girl charging money to give me an reward if I had won (unlikely).

I talk too much when I'm tired b:surrender

^This

I did enter, but I have no intention of modifying my characters, mainly becuase I don't play anymore. However, I still log on from time to time at friends request. Their request is usually to use my cleric as a litmus test. In general a guy (irl) will think she looks hot/cute, while a girl (in general, irl) will think she is okay. It's always funny when I catch the people who are playing girl chars and saying they are a girl irl, and then we catch them as a guy.
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Another contest would be fun (if someone sprays the thread with trollbane first), and I would possibly have entered more of my characters...but I gave all my clothes away when I quit. Which was about...oh, 20 female clothes sets and 13 male sets?

Where was my share? b:chuckle

Who says we have the same number of posts? b:chuckle
    The only reason why I entered is because I'm curious about other people's opinions outside of the game. I like the way my characters look and I only do makeovers because I feel like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Altros - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Where was my share? b:chuckle

*Cough* Umm...well...ask luci if she'll loan you some. I have no say over the clothes anymore.
  • KuiXing - Harshlands
    KuiXing - Harshlands Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    b:surrender Np Hope, the flaming was uncalled and your sick and all so i just wanted them to give you a break :) i hope you feel better, having a fever over 100 and having to deal with this must not be a very good thing. Anyways rest up and get back to us when you can b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the best mom ever, she brought me drugs and fruit juice - Reavღ
    Challenge accepted I'm going to go blow up the sun - FanFon
    Those crabs are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going... - Wildsblade
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    *Cough* Umm...well...ask luci if she'll loan you some. I have no say over the clothes anymore.

b:chuckle It's okay. I think I have too many clothes now anyways. Selling most of them. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The only reason why I entered is because I'm curious about other people's opinions outside of the game. I like the way my characters look and I only do makeovers because I feel like it.

Yeah, same thing here. ^_^ I've had another makeover since I entered already, lol. I get bored with looking at the same character all the time, so I like to change it up every now and then.

Also Hope if you do end up starting another contest, you should make it how you want it. Seriously. Possibly think through the points and all beforehand a bit better also.
    But a good way to learn is by making mistakes. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    b:chuckle It's okay. I think I have too many clothes now anyways. Selling most of them. b:surrender

:O Gimme!

EDIT: Sorry for double post. Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • __LOEKI__ - Heavens Tear
    __LOEKI__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    BeingHope - Raging Tide Update 29 September 2010 _LOEKI_: One, I have read every single one of your posts. I was highly disappointed when I realized you took off your own entry. I was really looking forward to your entry. If you want to re-post your entry I will accept it.

However, heres a thought for you. My sister was home by herself at the time she voted for yours. I did not see her vote on yours until I tried to go to your entry. I was highly shocked by her words and I apologize for her (she refuses to since she says a guy should be a guy..). She's younger than me, and that is all I will say. Please think on that.

Just so you know, I really did like your character. From the first time I saw it and your barb, I was looking forward to it so much.

And thank you for the help you did, even if it was little.

thank you and about re-post no thank you
  • Yaxana - Sanctuary
    Yaxana - Sanctuary Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And this is why I don't like this forum too much. In my eyes it's chaotic, people can spam, troll, flame and get away with it. If this contest took place on my favorite forum on the other hand, breaking the following rules would've gotten some people suspended/banned by now:

No Flaming

This includes any kind of personal insult, flame or intimidation. Responding in kind to a flame message is viewed as equally unacceptable, regardless of who started it. If you believe you are being insulted or otherwise flamed by another poster, please PM a forum moderator or admin rather than responding.

No spamming

Repeatedly posting the same post or topic in a forum, or across multiple forums, is considered spamming. Such posts will be locked, edited or removed. Intentional off topic or nonsense posting is also likely to be considered spam and will receive the same treatment, especially if this takes an existing thread off topic.

My point is... stop ruining something that started out nicely. It's not like I agree with some of the things they said, like how my friend's character has big lips, because in my opinion they look very nice, but it is their contest, so their opinion is what matters. People have different opinions, is it so hard to learn how to live with that?
    edited September 2010
    Options
    And this is why I don't like this forum too much. In my eyes it's chaotic, people can spam, troll, flame and get away with it. If this contest took place on my favorite forum on the other hand, breaking the following rules would've gotten some people suspended/banned by now:

No Flaming

This includes any kind of personal insult, flame or intimidation. Responding in kind to a flame message is viewed as equally unacceptable, regardless of who started it. If you believe you are being insulted or otherwise flamed by another poster, please PM a forum moderator or admin rather than responding.

No spamming

Repeatedly posting the same post or topic in a forum, or across multiple forums, is considered spamming. Such posts will be locked, edited or removed. Intentional off topic or nonsense posting is also likely to be considered spam and will receive the same treatment, especially if this takes an existing thread off topic.

My point is... stop ruining something that started out nicely. It's not like I agree with some of the things they said, like how my friend's character has big lips, because in my opinion they look very nice, but it is their contest, so their opinion is what matters. People have different opinions, is it so hard to learn how to live with that?

I am sorry but thought it was rather quiet just now and now you start again with comment on how you think about it I just said thanks to the offer to re-enter the contest nothing more nothing less so please why do you have to put your comment on it again just when it was going slowly back to normal so tel me who is flaming who now
  • Yaxana - Sanctuary
    Yaxana - Sanctuary Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Was I talking to you?
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Was I talking to you?

not by name but some points could be adressed to me but hey have fun and leave it
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You're welcome hunny <3

Hope, you really need to rest up, and get that fever down, but I'm sure your mom is taking good care of you. I'm so glad you're sticking with this, because if you had quit, you'd be given a sht load spam and flame from people, and no one can deny that. Goodluck Hope, and I'll help in any way possible
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well...there goes Hope. *sigh*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
  • Altros - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Options
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Hope got banned. Guess now this contest will most likely slowly fade into obscurity...