Cashshopping: Required?

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Buy low/sell high doesn't work when everyone is selling high. I have recently taken the time peruse ALL of the cat shops on the west side of Archosaur. It's outrageous what some people want for certain items. The same on the AH. I often spelunk the AH for good deals. I don't find any. Everyone wants to sell high, so no one can buy low.

That's a moot suggestion/advice.
    You obviously don't understand economics in general, never mind the game's.

Not everyone will sell higher than what it's worth, especially from one facet of buying and selling. Some people spend all day trying to find something a few (or several) mil cheaper than it really is (depending on the value of an item), only to turn around and re-sell it and profit. Some profits are higher, some lower, some riskier, some pretty much constant. If you can't find the good deals, it's probably because you don't pay enough attention to prices, or are too lazy to invest the time to research it.

This character's IG wife just made roughly 70 mil just selling, buying, re-selling JUST fash and dyes. Obviously it's your thinking that is incorrect, much like the above (not entirely on the above, just to a high degree).
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    You obviously don't understand economics in general, never mind the game's.

Not everyone will sell higher than what it's worth, especially from one facet of buying and selling. Some people spend all day trying to find something a few (or several) mil cheaper than it really is (depending on the value of an item), only to turn around and re-sell it and profit. Some profits are higher, some lower, some riskier, some pretty much constant. If you can't find the good deals, it's probably because you don't pay enough attention to prices, or are too lazy to invest the time to research it.

This character's IG wife just made roughly 70 mil just selling, buying, re-selling JUST fash and dyes. Obviously it's your thinking that is incorrect, much like the above (not entirely on the above, just to a high degree).

I understand economics just fine.

I also have better things to do with my time than searching for items being sold cheap when the chances of finding them are 1/100,000... or even 1/10,000.

It took me two hours a couple of days ago to peruse ALL of the cat shops in the (very laggy) west district. I don't always, in fact, I RARELY have that kind of time to spare. It's not my idea of a relaxing evening gaming.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • Bobobobobo - Lost City
    Bobobobobo - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2010

I also have better things to do with my time than searching for items being sold cheap when the chances of finding them are 1/100,000... or even 1/10,000.

It took me two hours a couple of days ago to peruse ALL of the cat shops in the (very laggy) west district. I don't always, in fact, I RARELY have that kind of time to spare. It's not my idea of a relaxing evening gaming.

PWI is serious business. Go play solo games.
    edited May 2010
    PWI is serious business. Go play solo games.

I thought I told you to look into getting a life!

No dessert for J00!!!
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited May 2010

I'm in doubt you have really tried searching for things, or even know what to search for, since the odds are only relative to your ability to spot what sells and what doesn't. This takes time playing the game to learn what, which you say you don't want to spend, so all in all, maybe the best thing for you is cash shopping. It's simple, you don't have to play much, you don't have to think much, and you get to see a bunch of people QQ about you spending money you earned. People who play more, invest more, and think more, tend to know how to earn more with spending less. Those who want things quicker and don't have the time to invest into it, pay the price in another fashion. I don't see the problem with this. Everyone wins, and can have it their own way, provided that reasonable balance and not a "have my cake and eat it too" mentality, which would be besides how things actually works.
  • Bobobobobo - Lost City
    Bobobobobo - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I'm in doubt you have really tried searching for things, or even know what to search for, since the odds are only relative to your ability to spot what sells and what doesn't. This takes time playing the game to learn what, which you say you don't want to spend, so all in all, maybe the best thing for you is cash shopping. It's simple, you don't have to play much, you don't have to think much, and you get to see a bunch of people QQ about you spending money you earned. People who play more, invest more, and think more, tend to know how to earn more with spending less. Those who want things quicker and don't have the time to invest into it, pay the price in another fashion. I don't see the problem with this. Everyone wins, and can have it their own way, provided that reasonable balance and not a "have my cake and eat it too" mentality, which would be besides how things actually works.

+1
    seriously if you don't understand that playing pwi requires some efforts and investing in time or money or w/e, well I feel sorry for you. And lol at "having a life", who are you to judge people if they have a life or not without knowing them, if you don't have time or are too lazy to play mmorpg don't play it.
  • Searing - Dreamweaver
    Searing - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Did you even read my post earlier?

You don't have to look at catshops at all to merchant.
    edited May 2010

I don't cash shop. My real life funds are too sparse.

You're only partly right in that I don't know what to look for. I'm a veno and I only know what veno's will or won't buy. So that's all I look for. And when I do sell something, I sell on the AH. This game uses way too much cpu resources to leave a cat shop up for more than a couple of hours, which does no good. I make my coins by grinding. It's slow and tedious, thus why after more than a year, I am only level 70 (and we have tideborn's at 100 already). Which kinda makes a point here, doesn't it?
    edited May 2010
    +1
    seriously if you don't understand that playing pwi requires some efforts and investing in time or money or w/e, well I feel sorry for you. And lol at "having a life", who are you to judge people if they have a life or not without knowing them, if you don't have time or are too lazy to play mmorpg don't play it.

Yep! I see it now. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Virtual life is much more important than real life. K, I'll let my house be repossessed, let my belly be empty, let my cats and dogs starve, just so I can PLAY A F'in game.

No, I won't. I'll quit if this is the mentality of the new generation of players. I've been playing since just after release (Punky is my SECOND character) ... I'm talking before Genies and fishy people. When the game was fun and the players were friendly.

And I'm not judging you. That is actually generic. ANYONE who thinks a game is far more important than real life, NEEDS TO GET A LIFE! FACT!

And, on that note, I don't need your pity because I think a game should be just that... a game. Entertainment, leisure. Nothing more.
    edited May 2010
    Did you even read my post earlier?

You don't have to look at catshops at all to merchant.

I'm aware of that. I know how to buy, sell, farm, and whatnot. Farming is my primary coin income. But as I said before... I do not cash shop. I'm not paying the high prices on the gold trade either. I farm for those coins and it takes too long to get them to waste 355k or more on 1 gold.
  • Searing - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2010
    I'm aware of that. I know how to buy, sell, farm, and whatnot. Farming is my primary coin income. But as I said before... I do not cash shop. I'm not paying the high prices on the gold trade either. I farm for those coins and it takes too long to get them to waste 355k or more on 1 gold.

I don't cash shop either. The whole point of buying that 1 gold for 355k is so you can re-sell it at 450k when there's a pack sale. Eventually you'll be able to do that with 10 gold. Then 100. Eventually you wont even need to farm at all.
    You're not wasting money, you're investing it. Best part is, whole thing takes 20 min per day maybe.

Just please don't say merchanting is not viable when there's dozens of players making millions by doing that every day.
    edited May 2010
    I don't cash shop either. The whole point of buying that 1 gold for 355k is so you can re-sell it at 450k when there's a pack sale. Eventually you'll be able to do that with 10 gold. Then 100. Eventually you wont even need to farm at all.
    You're not wasting money, you're investing it. Best part is, whole thing takes 20 min per day maybe.

Just please don't say merchanting is not viable when there's dozens of players making millions by doing that every day.

And be a party to the ever rising price of gold, which is why I can't (reads won't) buy gold.

Why contribute to something I am so adamantly opposed to? That's hypocrisy! I won't do it. I have standards and I have to live by them. Even in a video game.

I'm one of those people who used to buy gold on the trade so that I could get what I needed from the cash shop. It sold for a low as 85k and never higher 130k at the time. Then PWE introduced "packs". It put a real quick end to my being able to get what I need that way.
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited May 2010

Who would wanna leave his or her computer on 24/7? It's bad for the computer. I don't care about merchanting at all. b:bye You say it takes 20 mins per day well think again nub.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    And be a party to the ever rising price of gold, which is why I can't (reads won't) buy gold.

Why contribute to something I am so adamantly opposed to? That's hypocrisy! I won't do it. I have standards and I have to live by them. Even in a video game.

I'm one of those people who used to buy gold on the trade so that I could get what I needed from the cash shop. It sold for a low as 85k and never higher 130k at the time. Then PWE introduced "packs". It put a real quick end to my being able to get what I need that way.
    Excuses. That is the reason people fail as merchants.

People are not being some sort of moral hero by refusing to shop for the best prices by buying Gold for themselves. They're just being stubborn and finding a way to rationalize it.

9/10th of the time the excuses that cause people to fail at merchanting are something like, "I refuse to pay X (or sell for Y) because I hate it that somebody else is getting MY money!" So basically, they refuse to adjust their prices because of their own jealousy and/or greed, but they then try to tell themselves it's actually because they're a morally superior person and they're trying to teach all the naughty people who have "bad" prices a lesson by insisting on only paying "good" prices.

Being a successful merchant doesn't require a lot of time or effort, nor does it require a lot of brainpower. But it does require mental flexibility.
    Who would wanna leave his or her computer on 24/7? It's bad for the computer. I don't care about merchanting at all. b:bye You say it takes 20 mins per day well think again nub.
    Yeah, 20 mins per day is about right. As for whether or not it hurts my computer, the only use I currently have for my ancient PoS laptop is running a PWI cat-shop. If it wasn't doing that then it would just be a paperweight anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Searing - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2010
    Who would wanna leave his or her computer on 24/7? It's bad for the computer.

Really? Because i turn this computer off for once a month for cleaning, and it's still happily running after 3 years of usage (although PWI is not the reason, just a side thing i can run).
    I don't care about merchanting at all. b:bye

And i don't care if you care about merchanting or not, this was not the point we were discussing.
    Either you're dirt poor and you're buying my cheap items/tokens or you're a CS user in which case you supply me with cheap gold every time there's no pack sale. In either case, thank you for playing.
    You say it takes 20 mins per day well think again nub.

Log in...buy the cheapest gold you can get...change your tokens into shards/oracles/US/food...setup catshop and go afk for 24h...

You're right!

It takes 10 min max, my bad.
  • Pervera - Lost City
    Pervera - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I say if you're using game as time waster then you surely can play but if you're an xtreme hardcore player that aims to be on the top of rank and you have job or school that cuts your playing time then you have to pay three digit amount of $$.

To give you an idea I'll post link ->> http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/25978

Now take a look at magic damage output and at +12 refine bonus that adds to damage. It just doubles that weapon attack stats and +12 is not cheap xD Just to give idea how that kind of stuff matters.
    edited May 2010
    Being a successful merchant doesn't require a lot of time or effort.

I thought running the computer on 24/7 is alot of time. b:chuckle
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    It's a GAME, NOT a job!!! >_>

Games are for leisure, jobs are 8 hours a day.

Games don't pay people (unless they work for the company that runs them). JOBS pay people. So, a job gets dedication... a game gets spare time.

I expect a game to entertain me, not aggravate me or require ungodly amounts of my time to get anywhere.

You might want to look into getting a life.
    Sorry to sound crude, but geeze!

This is not a game it's an MMO. It's more of a hobby than a game. There is no score, no difficulty selection, no brilliant cut-scene at the end and there is no 'Game Over' message. There are a lot of little games inside this MMO, but it has far more traits of a hobby.

You are supposed to grind, work hard, set goals and achieve them and they're not supposed to be easy. If you want instant gratification, go play Halo, Poke-e-Mon or some other online flash-game. You'll feel more satisfied.

It took me over 6 months to hit lvl 70. And you know what, this was a better game before with slow leveling and hard grinding than it is now with exp and drop giveaways.

Who would wanna leave his or her computer on 24/7? It's bad for the computer.

It's far more damaging to your computer turning it on and off a few times a day than it is leaving it on the whole time.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Pervera - Lost City
    Pervera - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I thought running the computer on 24/7 is alot of time. b:chuckle

Yeah and if you have an power hungry gaming contraption it's alot of cash.
    edited May 2010

Lol so true b:chuckle
    edited May 2010
    It's far more damaging to your computer turning it on and off a few times a day than it is leaving it on the whole time.

Lol so does leaving it on too much because the computer becomes more exhausted. I turn it on 10 in the morning and turn it off 10 at night (Nothing wrong with that). To me, leaving the computer on all the time is not energy efficient.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Actually, it was cold last night so I had to turn on my electric heater and heating pad. The two computers in the room (main and PoS laptop) also were acting as electric heaters, albeit very wimpy ones.

In the end, I saved money and resources, because I was only heating my bedroom and left my natural gas furnace off. Had I also turned the two computers off then the electric heater would have simply run for an extra few minutes to make up the difference in lost heat.

Besides, if people really cared about power consumption then they wouldn't be playing the game at all in the first place, since any time you run a 3D game power usage jumps way up (which it doesn't when the game is minimized as a cat-shop, btw). So really, the argument is just another stubborn excuse that's being rationalized into, "I'm refusing to change because I'm a good person".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Lol so does leaving it on too much because the computer becomes more exhausted. I turn it on 10 in the morning and turn it off 10 at night (Nothing wrong with that). To me, leaving the computer on all the time is not energy efficient.

Exhaustion? lol Heating and cooling cycles are usually what triggers component failure. I'll agree it's not energy efficient.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
    edited May 2010
    Actually, it was cold last night so I had to turn on my electric heater and heating pad. The two computers in the room (main and PoS laptop) also were acting as electric heaters, albeit very wimpy ones.

In the end, I saved money and resources, because I was only heating my bedroom and left my natural gas furnace off. Had I also turned the two computers off then the electric heater would have simply run for an extra few minutes to make up the difference in lost heat.

Besides, if people really cared about power consumption then they wouldn't be playing the game at all in the first place, since any time you run a 3D game power usage jumps way up (which it doesn't when the game is minimized as a cat-shop, btw). So really, the argument is just another stubborn excuse that's being rationalized into, "I'm refusing to change because I'm a good person".

Lol that's only in the cold season, but what about the hot summers. I live in southern U.S., and we have no air conditioner. Running the computer is like hell for me because it gives off so much heat.
  • Dark_Feather - Lost City
    Dark_Feather - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    As Tatuaje said, you will be owned frequently once you hit L30 by those that like to random PK, those higher levels that like to target lower levels for an easy kill, those that are near (or even below) your level looking for an easy kill because your gear will be **** compared to theirs. You say you won't QQ when you do get PK'd, so none of that should be an issue. However, you also said "I do not PK," so I guess I'm surprised you would roll a character on PvP server... it would probably be easier to get into a guild and make some friends to game wtih on a PvE server and if you're going to play solo most of the time, I'm thinking it would definitely be easier on a PvE server.

So why a PvP server for you that doesn't mind being PK'd but has no intention of PKing?

well, this is my first MMO, and I had NO clue what i was doing when i first started. (it was before I met my b/f, and he kinda taught me how to play one properly.) So, I also had no clue what pvp/pve was or the difference. So I just started playing on whatever random server the comp decided to put me on. Yay Lost City! >.> So I just decided not to complain about it. itll get me nowhere, and I don't wanna reroll on another server and start all over again. xP

And while I don't mind the pvp (actually I kinda enjoy the extra challenge it poses sometimes ^.^) I wouldn't pk myself, as my main is on a non-rpk faction, and I'd rather not have a red name and an increase chance of dropping stuff. (i like my stuffb:bye)

(also, its interesting how my original question turned into a power-consumption discussion. O_o)
    [SIGPIC]http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/okamime/?action=view&current=colorful.gif[/SIGPIC]

Alts:
    Shiome: Psychic 2x
    Okami_Sukino: Venomancer 3x
    Ayumi_: Assassin 0x
  • Hhlolz - Harshlands
    Hhlolz - Harshlands Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Dont listen to all the bs that ppl tell.

You certainly DO NEED to cashshop to keep up with the lvl 100s.
    That is why this game is getting so boring...atleast 80% of all the lvl 100s are major cashshoppers with +10 weapons etc.

However, when you ask them how they got it they will answer this: merchanting
    Never knew how merchanting works but it sounds really interesting to me if you can make 600m without cashshopping.

Feel free to pm me if you want to teach me some merchantingb:laugh
    *Faildom*
    I don't need a Squad
    Level a Venomancer to 90.
    Aug 12, 2009
  • chelseacraft
    chelseacraft Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    To the OP...

I can honestly say I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Catshops are free they don't charge to open one.

You don't get experience for levels by operating a catshop.

The bottom line is...

There are more ways to make money in PWI then you can shake a stick at.

Anyone who can't figure out how to make money in the game either is:

a. incredibly allergic to work

b. has far below average intelligence

I'm not sure why you're making rocket science out of common sense but maybe if you just relax & watch what others do you'll figure it out.

Good luck b:victory
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Dont listen to all the bs that ppl tell.

You certainly DO NEED to cashshop to keep up with the lvl 100s.
    That is why this game is getting so boring...atleast 80% of all the lvl 100s are major cashshoppers with +10 weapons etc.

However, when you ask them how they got it they will answer this: merchanting
    Never knew how merchanting works but it sounds really interesting to me if you can make 600m without cashshopping.

Feel free to pm me if you want to teach me some merchantingb:laugh

I know people who have made 2200m that way. I make around 1m that way too, it's not much but sure beats being poor.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Being a successful merchant doesn't require a lot of time or effort, nor does it require a lot of brainpower. But it does require mental flexibility.
    And few merchants. (i.e few competition)

In other words, suggestion, by definition, cannot apply/work for everyone. b:bye

But you see that's the whole point. They know that not everyone will do it, they very depend on that. Unlike a productive activity, merchanting adds nothing to the game. If everyone merchanted, nothing would get done at all. If everyone was productive, on the other hand, stuff would indeed get done. "Leecher" could be a good term.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    To the OP...

I can honestly say I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Catshops are free they don't charge to open one.

You don't get experience for levels by operating a catshop.

The bottom line is...

There are more ways to make money in PWI then you can shake a stick at.

Anyone who can't figure out how to make money in the game either is:

a. incredibly allergic to work

b. has far below average intelligence

I'm not sure why you're making rocket science out of common sense but maybe if you just relax & watch what others do you'll figure it out.

Good luck b:victory
    this is incredibly wrong. money making is time consuming, and incredibly difficult to do. these peopel keep saying 'buy and resell' over and over, but where on earth are you supposed to start if you have no money to begin with. you cant do anything they recommend if you have no money to begin with.

and if you want some seed money to get your business going? say good bye to leveling, it wont happen. its bad enough DQs at higher levels rarely drop, now they want to lower how much theyre worth? i dont get this random, stupid change. the only real way to make a slow capital for investment is farming herbs or mats, and even then its hardly anything.

so its your choice, you can waste all your time making money/farming, or you can burn all your money, and level off your dailies. it has nothing to do with laziness or lack of intelligence, it has to do with imbalance between $ and leveling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.