Cashshopping: Required?

Options
Dark_Feather - Lost City
Dark_Feather - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
ok, so i've been lurking on the forums lately, and alot of discussion seems to revolve around cashshops. I've read alot that you HAVE to use cashshops if you want to get anywhere in the game.

well, I don't have money for that. Period.

However, I am willing to grind my **** off if thats the case. For me, killing things is what makes it fun. b:chuckle

So my question is:

Is using the cashshop a necessity for getting up in levels, or is grinding sufficient? I understand it would probably take longer that way, but I would love to hear suggestions and whatnot. :D
[SIGPIC]http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/okamime/?action=view&current=colorful.gif[/SIGPIC]

Alts:
Shiome: Psychic 2x
Okami_Sukino: Venomancer 3x
Ayumi_: Assassin 0x
Post edited by Dark_Feather - Lost City on

Comments

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    "grind" on higher TT and Nirvana and you'll be fine.
    b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You do NOT have to CS to get anywhere in the game. I know people who haven't spent a dime on the game and are amazing players of their class.
    I personally CSed for fashion lol and to get a Perfect Hammar for Supply Stash. Other than that, I try to grind and save in game coins for weps(besides the supply stash wep) and armor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lol_U_Mad - Raging Tide
    Lol_U_Mad - Raging Tide Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No Cashshopping is not required....u can easily do quests n learn skills at ur lvl..period.

as u start to lvl up more, u will need more money for the stuff u do..n then u have to grind for money until bt lvl 60.

after lvl 60, do lots n lots of TT runs daily to earn money....n nvr use teleport master to teleport..fly instead :D

with tht being said....CASHSHOPPING IS A LUXURY, NOT A NECESSITY....

play the game the way u want to...make frens.talk to em...help em out..thts the only important thing...

when u get to lvl 90, u will have so many stuff to do tht can earn 1-2 mill coins per day....just take it easy n u will be good...b:victory
    Lol_U_Mad : I m 14 years old.
    _jaffa_: you have to be over 15 to play this
    Lol_U_Mad: APRIL FOOLED>>>>BAMMM
    _jaffa_: lol u ****** im gonna sue you for *****
    b:victory
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Leveling is super easy in this game and you do not need to cashshop for that.

Its the equips that you will be lacking to be anyone worth fearing over. I have decent gear at 80 (gold armour) but I consider myself premuch a one shot when I log in from time to time. Everyone I see now is 9x with nice gear.

You can still enjoy the game nonetheless. I can say I did during the time I played.

Perfect World = Worlds Number#1 Messenging Service
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Searing - Dreamweaver
    Searing - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's not absolutely necessary, but be prepared to get outgeared/outleveled easily if you compare to someone who uses CS a lot.

My advice to you is learn the market ASAP (cheap, expensive, CS sales, tokens etc.) and start using that knowlege to buy low/sell high. Grinding will work to an extent also, but it's better to make a combination of both.
    Grinding alone will not be enough once you hit high levels if you want anything above average and not nearly enough if you want to be a competitive PvP player.
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    with tht being said....CASHSHOPPING IS A LUXURY, NOT A NECESSITY....
    NOT true on pvp servers.
  • Nefastos - Harshlands
    Nefastos - Harshlands Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If your gonna play on PvP servers, and not die like paper, its important that you cash shop unless you wanna spend 8 hours a day getting coins and gear. If you gonna play on PvE servers you dont have to cash shop, you only cash shop for convenience.
    b:victory b:victory b:victory
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    NOT true on pvp servers.
    b:chuckle Not if she doesn't lvl above 30
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dark_Feather - Lost City
    Dark_Feather - Lost City Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    thanks guys. y'all are so great. ^.^

i am on a pvp server, however i do not pk (and OMG! im not one of those ppl who QQ when i do get pk'ed! lol its just a bit annoying.)

So, not trying to be in the running with all the other pk'ers, grinding should be sufficient then?
    [SIGPIC]http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/okamime/?action=view&current=colorful.gif[/SIGPIC]

Alts:
    Shiome: Psychic 2x
    Okami_Sukino: Venomancer 3x
    Ayumi_: Assassin 0x
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If you want to be owned pretty much ever battle than yes, grinding is sufficient.

You can still enjoy the game sucking. I have a life long PW experience in that category.

Not having a NIX does not help matters during PvP.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No. You can get by just fine although don't expect to easily be able to to participate in higher level PvP/TWs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear
    Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear Posts: 916 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yes & No.

Yes - You have to pay to be the best (in most cases). Unless you have an extremely well built business mind, then you can go into the merchanter clan. This is mostly to anyone starting up the game right now. Doesn't exactly apply to long timers in this game considering they made enough and saved enough at the beginning of when the game started to be able to survive the game now even with most of the downfalls such as 2x exp and packs.

And to the person who said to farm TT after level 60, the TT1-1 instance is not worth farming since it can be easily done. Time wasted on a useless instance that doesn't give you back the coins worth the time you wasted in the instance. More sufficient is TT90s and up. But then again, even that is going in price now. So hope you just hit level 100 one day and farm Nirvana, but that probably will get nuked by the time you get to that level.

No - If you're playing this game for fun and don't care about your gear much, then you can survive somewhat. Using pots/farming herbs to make apothecary instead of using charms.

Considering the drop in DQ prices which would have been sufficient for you if you sold it to NPCs, I'm not sure how *real* lower leveled chars will make enough coins to be a good player in the future.
    I call it how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thanks Santacruz! :D
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    youll notice it to be rather hard to keep playng this game after a while. it will be the same old same old every day and youll get sick of it. eventualy it wont even be worth the time grinding for hours in order to buy mana food
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Level 77 here and I haven't CSed yet.

Money is definitely the challenge of the game, but despite this, I've been able to keep my Spirit down at 0 (as in I can still afford skills), I've got my appropriate TT weapon for my level and I chose to sell TT armor stuff.

Point is, you can make it. It can be very frustrating to grind a couple hours, make a good sum of money, then watch it disappear after buying 1-2 skill levels, but as frustrating as it is, you gotta realize you ARE actually making it. There's a lot of people my level running around with 120k shards in their gear; that, I can't do. Or if I did, that armor would be with me to stay for a long time.
    My advice is to just be conservative on gear upgrades until higher levels, sell perfect stones, dragon quest items and scarlet fruit to other players and farm TT when you can. Also keep an eye out for deals in shops and cat shops. I have NEVER been much of a player to look for deals in MMO's, but in Perfect World I'm kinda forced to. Still, I think it makes the game more interesting that way. Never played a game before where paying for MP pots actually felt like paying bills; at least it's a challenge. xP

And if you want my opinion, the community is much more negative than needs be when it comes to CS. The last MMO I played...THAT was a game where CS was required. Here? Hell no, not at all. If you ask me, it's probably more of the fact that people are coming from other MMO's, expecting money to be as easy to make as it was in those. PW does stand out as being hard to earn cash in.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Islamey - Dreamweaver
    Islamey - Dreamweaver Posts: 586 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    PVE server.

Haven't cs-ed and I'm quite comfortable :P. Even got my Frost weapon recently. If you don't cs, everything will take more time, and you're goals have to be less lofty, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy with what I've got.
    The chillum is sometimes referred to as a chalice, based on a quote from the Biblical book of Deuteronomy. Thanks and praises are offered to Jah before smoking the chillum.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    CASHSHOPPING HAS BECOME A NECESSITY....

Fixed.....
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    thanks guys. y'all are so great. ^.^

i am on a pvp server, however i do not pk (and OMG! im not one of those ppl who QQ when i do get pk'ed! lol its just a bit annoying.)

So, not trying to be in the running with all the other pk'ers, grinding should be sufficient then?
    As Tatuaje said, you will be owned frequently once you hit L30 by those that like to random PK, those higher levels that like to target lower levels for an easy kill, those that are near (or even below) your level looking for an easy kill because your gear will be **** compared to theirs. You say you won't QQ when you do get PK'd, so none of that should be an issue. However, you also said "I do not PK," so I guess I'm surprised you would roll a character on PvP server... it would probably be easier to get into a guild and make some friends to game wtih on a PvE server and if you're going to play solo most of the time, I'm thinking it would definitely be easier on a PvE server.

So why a PvP server for you that doesn't mind being PK'd but has no intention of PKing?
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    NOT true on pvp servers.

Most of the forum's biggest cash shoppers are on PvE servers. Go figure. :P
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Grinding is sufficient to just play. Farming is sufficient to play and have moderate equipment. I know lots of people who just grind and farm, and do quite reasonably well.

If you want to be really competitive though, then it's either the cash-shop or merchanting.

Novice merchants who are just starting out can earn about $0.50 to $1 worth of Gold per day, which should be more than enough to compete with casual cash-shoppers. Meanwhile, experienced merchants earn anywhere from $5 to $35 worth of Gold per day, which is more than enough to compete with all but the very richest of cash-shoppers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's not absolutely necessary, but be prepared to get outgeared/outleveled easily if you compare to someone who uses CS a lot.

My advice to you is learn the market ASAP (cheap, expensive, CS sales, tokens etc.) and start using that knowlege to buy low/sell high. Grinding will work to an extent also, but it's better to make a combination of both.
    Grinding alone will not be enough once you hit high levels if you want anything above average and not nearly enough if you want to be a competitive PvP player.

Buy low/sell high doesn't work when everyone is selling high. I have recently taken the time peruse ALL of the cat shops on the west side of Archosaur. It's outrageous what some people want for certain items. The same on the AH. I often spelunk the AH for good deals. I don't find any. Everyone wants to sell high, so no one can buy low.

That's a moot suggestion/advice.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • _Ghostz_ - Archosaur
    _Ghostz_ - Archosaur Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Free to Download, Free to Play, Pay to Win

Nuff Saidb:victory
    Just don't. This is your final warning.
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Free to Download, Free to Play, Pay to Win

Nuff Saidb:victory

Sounds about right! b:chuckle
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Everyone wants to sell high, so no one can buy low.

It's actually pretty easy once you know what to look for. For example, on my low-level alt on Lost City I recently bought Gold in the AH for 355k, bought some Battle Pet Packs, opened them, and sold the 2000 SoF/Feathers I got for 6200 each. Profit was 800 per SoF/Feather for a total profit of 1.6 million for the day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    well ig uess i do find myself buying a charm every now and again, but no, it isnt exactly required mehtinks :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    NOT true on pvp servers.

I know right? Someone's never visted the Harshlands I see.

If you're in a PvP server, you better have a wallet. You will be beaten down quite ruthlessly by rich people, if you are not equally rich. (Want an example? Kylin and Zulu baby...that's all you NEED to know.)
    Some people just don't know what a PvP server is...and they make a high level character on that server, and when they hit 30 they're like....

GOD THIS SUCKS!!! D:>

They say ignorance is deadly....for PvP servers....totally.....true. (I just hate when people PK you, you comment on them for being a jerk and they say: "G0 to @ CAreb3ar Sever, n00b. lolololololol."
    How about I carebear YOU in the server, ya jerk?)

Buy low won't work if EVERYBODY is selling high...which, especially in my server, people are doing....a lot.

Grinding won't be so effective once that 20% drop is input. I'm trying to hoard as much DQ items as I can before they all go down...I don't know what's going to happen to all the NOT 60+ people once that law's set down.

But it's free to download, free to play, and (RARELY) free to win. It all depends if you can outsmart or outgun the people who don't REALLY work for their junk.
  • Searing - Dreamweaver
    Searing - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Buy low/sell high doesn't work when everyone is selling high. I have recently taken the time peruse ALL of the cat shops on the west side of Archosaur. It's outrageous what some people want for certain items. The same on the AH. I often spelunk the AH for good deals. I don't find any. Everyone wants to sell high, so no one can buy low.

You're doing it wrong. Looking at catshops won't wield results 99% of the time.

A few examples:

- Token event sale -> stack up on tokens, sell them after sale is over (usually you can make 3-4k per token).

- Gold priced at 325k lets say? Buy as much as you can, sell it for 425k+ when packs hit the CS and gold price skyrockets

- Dragon Orb sale? Buy as many as possible if gold is low, sell for almost double the price when gold shoots up and sale is over

- Buy tokens for 10k during sale, sell shards for 180k, oracles for 40k, teleacoustics for 12k etc

On DW just before tiger packs...gold wen down to even 290k and such. I bought as much as i could..during tiger pack sale i made even over 150k per 1 piece of gold profit + had some other items that were on sale when gold was around 300k. Alone the skyrocket gold fetched me around 28 million profit in the first week of tiger packs.

Now tiger packs are done...and i'll happily keep selling stacks of citrines for 200-210k when i bought them for 140-150 during event, and loads of teles for 14k when i bought them for less than 10k during event, not to forget event food. And trust me, they do sell easily. For example shards, if i sell em for 190k atm, i'll be one of cheapest people on DW and still make 50k per shard. This is what you get when everyone is trying to sell high, use it to your advantage. I'll move 30-40 shards per day while that sucker selling at 250k can move 5 per day maybe.

Merchanting works..you just gotta figure out how, where and what. Also, the more starter money you got, the better. And most importantly, be patient! Gold will drop and rise, your job is to be there in the front line when it happens.
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    To the OP: As stated previously in this thread, you don't have to CS at all. Everything can be obtained with hard work and perseverance. 95% of everything I own in PWI I've worked for. The other 5% I've CS'd, with small amounts of cash I get here and there. I don't CS like a crazy person, and I believe that hard work can get you anything. You just gotta find the right way to get there really.
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Plus, there's always the "free2play". If you feel the game doesn't let you play2free, put it on hold (*) and play something else. There's a ton of games out there that claim to be F2P (free2play), although many of the newer ones are not F2P (fun2play) as they have PK enabled --- needs a bit more searching if that's an issue.

(*) I wonder why people always "give away" stuff --- I just stop using the char. It has happened that I tried again months later... in case of PW, I even found an Anniversary mount in my mail, after being absent for months, then ignoring the mail icon for weeks because I thought it's an "important" GM message informing me about new cash features, and always forgetting to delete it when I was near a mailbox...
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Bobobobobo - Lost City
    Bobobobobo - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ok all noobs here.
    First mmo are for hardcore players.
    To buy endgame stuff and refinings you must get at least 1 or 2 billion coins.
    Either by cash shopping, merchanting, farming instances 8 hours per day for 6 months, or using all methods at the same time.
    Right??
    You can't get good stuff if u aren't dedicated, or cash shopping, or both. MMORPG are like that, it would be too easy otherwise, you must do always more than the others to be stronger than them. enough said and stop QQing.
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ok all noobs here.
    First mmo are for hardcore players.
    To buy endgame stuff and refinings you must get at least 1 or 2 billion coins.
    Either by cash shopping, merchanting, farming instances 8 hours per day for 6 months, or using all methods at the same time.
    Right??
    You can't get good stuff if u aren't dedicated, or cash shopping, or both. MMORPG are like that, it would be too easy otherwise, you must do always more than the others to be stronger than them. enough said and stop QQing.

It's a GAME, NOT a job!!! >_>

Games are for leisure, jobs are 8 hours a day.

Games don't pay people (unless they work for the company that runs them). JOBS pay people. So, a job gets dedication... a game gets spare time.

I expect a game to entertain me, not aggravate me or require ungodly amounts of my time to get anywhere.

You might want to look into getting a life.
    Sorry to sound crude, but geeze!