Clerics : stop buffing everybody you find

KataVeno - Raging Tide
KataVeno - Raging Tide Posts: 43 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Cleric
Edit : please read everything from the beginning before posting. Lots of misunderstanding in this thread. ;)
Edit : please understand all of this is my way of thinking. I am not here to tell you what to do. :)

Yes clerics have great support skills.
Yes clerics are usefull to almost anymody when times come.

but there are two things i would like to tell you all :

1 ) If you're in dire need to help somebody, ask him first !!!
"do you want some buffs ?", "can i help you ?" and so on...
really this is the LEAST you must do to be polite.
edit : someone said it was too much so let put it this way : i think you should ask.
Otherwise it is like entering somebody's home, sweep the floor and get away !

edit : this is exactly the same than someone who "help" you kill a mob without you asking him.
And i am not talking of exp here.

2 ) HIGH IMPORTANCE !!! (because some clerics don't know, learning is always good)
please DOUBLE THINK OF THE FIRST POINT when you want to use your GUARDIAN'S SEAL !
This pesky skill CANCELS the effect of our much better and beloved powders !!!

no, wait, never use it... that's better ! (my thinking though)

edit : i don't understand why there are poeple to say this is wrong.

Ending :

Sure you try to do fine but you do not ! Again, if you want to help, just ask !
It's simple and much more kind.

The point here is not that I dislike this. The point is that there are people who do NOT want help.
Trying to help them without even asking yourself if the player want it is just selfish :

"I think it is better if i heal him"
"I think it is good to be buffed"
"I think resurrecting him is good because he will not loose as much exp"
edit : the resurrect example is really bad since you don't have to accept it, i admit.

please, start to think that you're freedom has to be limited by other's one and start to ask yourself :
"Is this player thinking like me ?"

edit :

I know this is hard to understand, and this is harder to explain.

My predicament is not that clerics do what i have written above
but it is that players are often to much careless about others
resulting in clerics doing this.

I don't really care about that consequence, players are often kids and kids are careless :)
It might be easier to understand this :
You have 1000 players :
990 who like beeing helped by others
10 who dislike
everybody who disagree with me here will say "i forget the 10 ones and just help everybody"
i say "i will ask 1000 times to be sure because i care about the single one in front of me"

edit :
i think the same of all classes that buff/debuff or anything with no prompt.
example : venos that bramble anyone for no reason.
I think now this thread should have been in the general section but... too late :/
Post edited by KataVeno - Raging Tide on

Comments

• LifeHunting - Heavens Tear
    LifeHunting - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the first one I like. I've not paid attention for like 5 mins when my guy was killing some mobs. Next thing I know, I look at my screen, and I have my buffs and cleric buffs. Half the time I have no clue where they came from, the other 50% of the time, I see some little cleric running away :s
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Each time they overwrite my powder buff, i feel so annoyed and want to cry. b:cry
    But they only want it for good purpose, so most of the time i am only able to say :
    "Thank you b:thanks"

Actually what i want to say :
    "What are you doing ? You just overwrite my precious powder buff !! It's need a long time and boring to collect the herbs you know."
    "Look now i have to sit a lot because of you !!"
    ETC b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Trayous - Sanctuary
    Trayous - Sanctuary Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I agree dont buff dont heal and dont REZZ they have there powders b:chuckle ohh wait no powders for a rezz ? then buy a scroll b:chuckle
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I agree dont buff dont heal and dont REZZ they have there powders b:chuckle ohh wait no powders for a rezz ? then buy a scroll b:chuckle

We only want you to don't randomly buff someone without looking they already has buff or not . . .
    Please understand . . b:cry
    We not hating you Q.Q . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Instead of getting upset at them and such, why not advise them and teach them so there won't be a next time for them to make the same mistake.

"Hey, thanks for the buffs and stuff. I know that you're doing it to be helpful and I am thankful for that but, I was using an apothecary item which takes time to get. So, before you start buffing the next person, please check what buffs they have on before you override it by accident. :)"

See? Not that hard. Yeah it's truly annoying when clerics override the apothecary buffs or even the hour-long buffs with the 30-minute buffs or something higher level to lower level buffs but it happens...but I think the reason why they do that is because they don't realize what they're doing is messing you up or whatever. They think they're doing it to help, not hinder.
  • Trayous - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Ahh the impetutations of a young Cleric with there new found spells :) like a child with a new toy at christmas :).

I do understand but doudbt it will reach the ears of those who need to be told in here .
  • KataVeno - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    the real point is, after telling to about a hundred clercis you get bored :/
    so you try in a better source => forum
    and there you say :

"please Mr Administrator, can you sticky this thread so noob clerics can learn ?"
  • jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    the real point is, after telling to about a hundred clercis you get bored :/
    so you try in a better source => forum
    and there you say :

"please Mr Administrator, can you sticky this thread so noob clerics can learn ?"
    Tons of people posted here on the forums the same thing you're posting now and has it still made a difference? I guess not because you're posting here about it now.

Yeah, it'll get to be a pain in the toosh after awhile but people gotta start learning somehow and you teaching them gives them a step towards learning.
  • Zazulyte - Sanctuary
    Zazulyte - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yeah clerics should just reroll, they're not needed, there is powders for hp/mp regen, HP pots for healing, damage reduction pots to take place of phys and mag def buff and scrolls to revive.

But seriously if they've buffed you they've given you a full set of buffs, i'd happily give up hp/mp regen for the other three, less damage taken if iam hit and i'm now blowing away things even easier.

And as a veno mp regen should be high enough naturally for it not to be a worry and if it's hp regen your doing something wrong being hit in the first place.
  • CuteEmily - Heavens Tear
    CuteEmily - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'm always checking in order not to override powders etc. and don't give regeneration buff if there are any. Also I don't give buffs that a person already has. So sorry that I don't ask but i really don't think that there is any harm in buffing someone who had neither buffs nor powders.
    Don't want buffs?? OK!!b:angry
    *Offended and sad*b:surrender
  • Aaragontium - Sanctuary
    Aaragontium - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    OP:

Thank you for providing the names of the buffs you don't want overwrote. I know I sure learned a lot.

At this point - better safe than sorry?
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    It happened to me once- i overwrite my own powder! xD

Clerics are mostly a friendly and helpful bunch (thats why we tend to chose support class) so we like giving our buffs out to random people! =D

Its just awareness really- if you see someone has regen buff already and none of the other cleric buffs, most likely they're using a powder so buff carefully.

I normally use buff macro that doesnt have regen buff anyway.
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    *reads thread and takes notes of who not to help*

But really personally i always check for powders before a random buff. I have 6 alts and on any of them I always love it when a cleric buffs me. For arcane classes it means killing more and faster. for HA I can use bigger pulls and aoe more at once.

ok really ask before a rez? since someone here was using real life examples. asking before a rez in like a firefighter running up to a person in a burning buildingand asking if they want to be saved

for new clerics

1. take note of who complains about buffsa in this thread. if you see one find another person to random buff
    2. if your feeling nice continue to step 3. if not disregard
    3. look for powders before buffing and go for it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gritha - Lost City
    Gritha - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    hi i'm cleric and i just wanted to say that fortunatly i read some guides and threads before roling this class so i don't buff ppl that already have cleric's buffs. besides i just don't go arround buffing ppl cause that spends mp and something i really don't like in clerics is their ability to loose mp fast ( i have a good build, i'm not LA or HA so that's not the problem).
    anyway ty for this thread cause i didn't know our buffs can disable powder effects and as for the coment that said clerics weren't needed i'll just ask if any1 would go for a dungeon without a cleric and without a high lvl veno w/ herc, besides pls notice many ppl don't buy scrolls cause they'r expensive and so on.
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    anyway ty for this thread cause i didn't know our buffs can disable powder effects and as for the coment that said clerics weren't needed i'll just ask if any1 would go for a dungeon without a cleric and without a high lvl veno w/ herc, besides pls notice many ppl don't buy scrolls cause they'r expensive and so on.

raises hand.....i cleared fb51 up to rankor on my barb(excluding fushma) with 3 bms and we aoe'd our way there while waiting on the cleric. this was for bh so barb was 6x.

cleared from calcid to trioc tanking on my bm with 2 psys and a wiz after cleric disappeared for bh so we were all 5x.

and ahh the herc misconception. yea theyre nice to have around but far from needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flickerfae - Sanctuary
    Flickerfae - Sanctuary Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'm always checking in order not to override powders etc. and don't give regeneration buff if there are any. Also I don't give buffs that a person already has. So sorry that I don't ask but i really don't think that there is any harm in buffing someone who had neither buffs nor powders.

Ditto. b:thanks

The powder-overwrite thing is always something I try to impress upon other clerics, especially if I see them using the mass version of Celestial Guardian's Seal (I forget what it's called). I use powders myself, so I'm careful to never overwrite an active hp/mp regen icon, and I prod other clerics to do the same.

Only telling people will get it to stop happening; unfortunately, it feels a bit like trying to build a bonfire during a hurricane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Ignoring my main for alts since early '09
  • Christianlej - Sanctuary
    Christianlej - Sanctuary Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Lol i usually tell: If you gonna use my buffs to do Pk i will not give them to you.

And a good cleric is this that you can sacrified of your party (died alot of times trying to revive someone)b:chuckle

And think that your aren`t an DD, your are the life of sguad, trying to save them all the time.

Be afk when sguad is dying is a really good mystake from your part.
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I don't mind if a cleric overwrites a powder I'm using. The way I see it, in exchange for a powder I get buffs to increase my damage and defenses as well as buffs that slightly increase my HP and MP regen.

I stopped using life powders after I gave my genie second wind so the only powder I'm ever running around with is focus powder. A single focus powder is worth about 5k if you're lazy and buy the herbs from a cat shop (less if you can find someone selling the powders directly) and 5k for buffs isn't a bad deal in my opinion. If it really bothers you so much then you can just pop another powder afterward and you'll still have the other cleric buffs (all of which last 30 minutes, I'd like to add).

Another thing, most clerics I've met have been careful about not overwriting active powders so it's really not as much of an issue as many people make it out to be. I've had quite a few people rage at me for 'overwriting' their powders when I know I didn't (my buff macro doesn't have either regen buff and I use those individually). I calmly explain that I did no such thing and before buffing them and saying that's what the HP/MP regen buff looks like before blacklisting them.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Utilitarianally (is that a word?) speaking, if you random buff 50 people and 5 people are out 5k for a powder, it's still greater happiness than not buffing anyone at all. b:cute

I always check for powders, but the rest of this post is a little ridiculous. Ask before you buff if they're buffless? I have a macro buff specifically for buffing around powders (well actually it skips that buff because it's kind useless in TW when trying to buff quickly, but same effect), so I'll feel free to use that if I see a powder icon being used.

Ask for ress...? What is this I don't even
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    5k per powder (25k for 5) is actually more than they're worth. The herbs needed to make them are low level and easy to find so each herb is probably only worth around 500 coins (maybe 1k for the crane herbs).

As for the res, really? I've seen people wait at the mines begging for a res. I've stopped ressing people on my cleric because most people seem to think that they have some 'right' to have buffs after I res them. Seriously? I drop down, kill the mobs around you, and give them a res so they can demand buffs? I'm honestly sick of seeing people say 'buffs too' or 'give me buffs' (or some other variation) so I just pretend I'm afk flying overhead if they whisper me.

If they're a barb or BM then I at least expect to get an HP or p.def buff in exchange but it seems their MP is more valuable than mine in most cases.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Jette - Lost City
    Jette - Lost City Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I only random buff vanguad, magic shield, and spirit's gift....the only buffs worth it on a cleric imo
  • Zoomia - Heavens Tear
    Zoomia - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I have been ninja buffing/healing/ressing for many levels now, and of course I don't buff over the regen buffs. I also never ninja buff veno's unless asked as they should not get hit, and extra nuke power could throw off their game by pulling aggro from pet easier. They have it easy anyway!

Maybe you can explain to us why someone would not want cleric buffs (other than the regen buff). I am having a hard time figuring this out, so please fill us in.

On a side note, I would love it if a random person swept my floors without disturbing what I was doing. Besides that, I wouldn't have to pay them nor worry that they were taking anything from the house.

By the way, do you cast bramble on clerics?
  • KataVeno - Raging Tide
    edited March 2010
    I try to react to replies by editing my initial post. But this one is a little personnal i think so i reply here :)
    Maybe you can explain to us why someone would not want cleric buffs (other than the regen buff). I am having a hard time figuring this out, so please fill us in.
    My point is exaclty the opposite : why should i like buffs ?
    I say "I" but this is not my thinking though.
    I do like some help sometimes, but the matter is we can't be sure of that before asking.
    To answer, i figure we can have some sort of proudness to kill a boss without help...
    ( I am not just a Veno, i already played each class of this game but veno is much more suited for me... well looner type :p )
    On a side note, I would love it if a random person swept my floors without disturbing what I was doing. Besides that, I wouldn't have to pay them nor worry that they were taking anything from the house.
    I think the opposite too : some guy come sweep MY floor and i smash him !
    By the way, do you cast bramble on clerics?
    No, sometimes when teaming, barbs ask me to do it so i do it.
    That's all.
    Besides i would be highly selfish if i was doing that with what i say !
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Gotta ask those clerics to not purify me as well. When I want to try tanking Polearm or Jewel without purify, those clerics always purify me. Its totally annoying. Like I wanted to do something different. And heals too. Why did that cleric just heal me? I wanted to die to go to town faster!

Ah, the bramble argument. how nice.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    LOL @ Lloyd b:chuckle

Here is a solution, make a faction called" don'tbuff "
    Become a member or be the Leader and you'll have it over your head at all times.

problem solved

PS. Yeah, I hate bramble on squishies, I wonder if venos can purge buffs off again thoug.
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Zazulyte - Sanctuary
    Zazulyte - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    So the problem isn't the buffs it's that you don't want help at all?

If that's the case go buy a single player game, noone around to help you then, just you vs the game.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Alright guys, let's add this chick to our These People Will Never Get Our Buffs Again list! Wow, this list is starting to get full maybe we should make a new one? o.o
    Gotta ask those clerics to not purify me as well. When I want to try tanking Polearm or Jewel without purify, those clerics always purify me. Its totally annoying. Like I wanted to do something different. And heals too. Why did that cleric just heal me? I wanted to die to go to town faster!

I lol'db:laugh
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2010

LOL. b:laugh

Good luck with that. =P
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • Trayous - Sanctuary
    edited March 2010
    Ahh the impetutations of a young Cleric with there new found spells :) like a child with a new toy at christmas :).

I do understand but doudbt it will reach the ears of those who need to be told in here .

I did try to warn you :) .

As you can see from the reply's we Clerics are verry protective about our jobs b:chuckle

Dont need to make a faction fust add it to your name John_Doe_Dont_buff_me b:laugh

I would think anyone who uses this Forum would have a good insight on the role of a Cleric those that dont are the root cause to your problem .

Most likely the same for any other class.

Like Venos who give us the agro buff ? i just leave that upto you Venos to sort out . b:chuckle

Ohh and Lloyd thats classic it will keep me smiling most of the day .. Sarcasm at its best well done :)
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I only random buff vanguad, magic shield, and spirit's gift....the only buffs worth it on a cleric imo

Why do we throw on spirits gift to melee type classes I alway wondered that.

When a Veno throws on bramble guard on me and I am in the world I tell them never do that again and I go to char select screen and then press start again.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
This discussion has been closed.