Comments

• Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    ummm..

in duel
    psy vs wizard

all depends on skills used when starting the fight,

psy vs all classes , at same level = psy wins in most cases, depends on oponent
    psy vs al classes, psy 10+ lvl lower = psy can win, but will have hard times

You do not win in most cases. Perhaps, those are oracle nubs that you have won against.
  • Deathflow - Dreamweaver
    Deathflow - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    if u say so.. probably u know better

anyway.. come to DW, pm me and u will see
  • FapFapFap - Raging Tide
    FapFapFap - Raging Tide Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    if u say so.. probably u know better

anyway.. come to DW, pm me and u will see

I hope some ppl read this and **** u in PK D:

Unless u are in PK-Mode...if u are talking about Duels then nvm, I'm talking about real PvP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chic_Sigh - Heavens Tear
    Chic_Sigh - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Well regarding PvE, having Soul of Vengeance doesn't change anything because mobs don't touch me very often.

Soul of Vengeance, in my noob experience, is pretty handy when I'm being attacked by mobs even ranged ones. The damage they try to deal goes back to them and some even died before I realized I was being hit.

So I keep it on. Compared to my cleric mp needs, the skill's mana consumption is ridiculously low... for the moment.

b:chuckle
    edited February 2010
    Thanks BBiB for your honest work and generous time, your guide is much appreciated. However...
    VIT Build: This build will give your Psychic a little extra HP and physical defense, but I don't recommend it because the lack of HP can be made up with stones. You would use arcane robes for this build and socket them with HP stones.

I beg to differ here. As Reds mentioned earlier, it's all in the playstyle but I think it goes beyond that and I'm only talking from my in game experience.

My main being a full MAG (lev 89) cleric, I have built this one with a 1-pt VIT every 4 levels, and I find it much more fun to play than full MAG psychic.

IMO:

- a Cleric needs full MAG in order to self- and group-heal properly as well as dealing good damage including AoE's plus buffing and debuffing regularly in between, whereas:

- the Psychic needs only self-buffs/heals while mainly DD'ing -- which she does as a caster, like the Wiz. Contrary to the Wiz tho:

- the Psychic's buffs return damage to the attacker, which is pretty cool.

For these reasons, IMO again, the Psychic does not need to go full MAG because instead of a plus, it becomes a handicap in the long run. It's like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. A few more VIT points more sure helps a great deal in keeping the Psychic alive and useful.

b:mischievous
  • ryukage
    ryukage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Thanks BBiB for your honest work and generous time, your guide is much appreciated. However...

I beg to differ here. As Reds mentioned earlier, it's all in the playstyle but I think it goes beyond that and I'm only talking from my in game experience.

My main being a full MAG (lev 89) cleric, I have built this one with a 1-pt VIT every 4 levels, and I find it much more fun to play than full MAG psychic.

IMO:

- a Cleric needs full MAG in order to self- and group-heal properly as well as dealing good damage including AoE's plus buffing and debuffing regularly in between, whereas:

- the Psychic needs only self-buffs/heals while mainly DD'ing -- which she does as a caster, like the Wiz. Contrary to the Wiz tho:

- the Psychic's buffs return damage to the attacker, which is pretty cool.

For these reasons, IMO again, the Psychic does not need to go full MAG because instead of a plus, it becomes a handicap in the long run. It's like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. A few more VIT points more sure helps a great deal in keeping the Psychic alive and useful.

b:mischievous
    Ehh.

I was actually prepared to give a super huge giant wall of text (yes, even bigger than this) on why I don't feel that Vit is a good idea. But I'll just stick to the biggest flaws in what you were saying...

1) Why play a DD class and intentionally gimp the damage on the claim that "it doesn't need it"? I can understand saying that you want to survive easier, but saying you don't need damage? Where is the logic in saying a DD doesn't need to get higher damage...? That part threw me way off. This isn't so much an argument against being Vit, as it is an argument against the way you explained it.

2) And this one is major: Light Armor Psychics will have just as much (often more) survivability as a Vit Psychic, with similar damage. But at least the LA Psy will gain a critical ratio out of the deal. This alone is the biggest reason why Vit Psy doesn't make a lot of sense. If you really need to survive more, don't add Vit. Add dex and change armor. Or read the next point.

3) Most survival problems the full-mag Psy encounters can be fixed by: a) hp and pdef gems, b) refinement, c) learning how to maneuver, and d) (in case of emergency) using White Voodoo and casting the correct skills to address the loss of attack levels. I hate to say it, but knowing how to play the class is far greater than any amount of vit... Not saying you don't know, just saying it can be compensated for with the right tactics. It tends to be better to adjust playstyle and keep your strength than to lose your strength to keep a less effective style.

All that being said, if you do enjoy your Vit Psychic, it's your character, have it any way you like. It's not my place to tell you how to have fun with your own creation. I'm just pointing out the reasons why many of us won't agree.

These arguments are coming from the perspective of someone who would rather seek efficiency, and really... Imo dying easier teaches you better because you have to actually start thinking. When not fighting bosses, its sooo easy to kite and take no damage at all, even from ranged mobs. But that actually requires effort, and well, I've seen some lazy Psychics who let themselves be hit. Obviously there are times when kiting isn't needed, especially if its a melee mob. A full-mag Psy will generally drop any melee mob before it becomes a threat.

When fighting bosses and whatnot in squads, its not too hard to be mindful of aggro and let the tank take the hits. If you're soloing the boss, White Voodoo and DoT it, if its damage scares you. If this strategy fails, you're probably too low to be attempting a solo at that boss anyway. Do remember, some bosses can be easily kited too. (theTideborn Traitor from the test of loyalty is the easiest boss ever for a Psychic. Aqua Impact + Landslide + kite effectively = no damage taken. I soloed it easily.)
  • Deshi - Dreamweaver
    Deshi - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the guide b:pleased
    #Deshi ~ Blademaster (Main)
    #Lillith_ ~ Psychic (Alt)

b:cute
    edited February 2010
    ryukage wrote: »
    Ehh. I was actually prepared to give a super huge giant wall of text

You already have. And most of it mostly bla bla *sigh*
    All that being said, if you do enjoy your Vit Psychic, it's your character, have it any way you like. It's not my place to tell you how to have fun with your own creation. I'm just pointing out the reasons why many of us won't agree.

Why all of a sudden you would represent "many of us" is beyond me.

But if a 20 VIT build is considered a VIT psychic, then be my guest and keep QQ'ing.

As for the rest of your text wall I hope you don't feel offended if I prefer to ignore it, it's just too eye-tiring to even try to read it.

b:fatb
  • FapFapFap - Raging Tide
    FapFapFap - Raging Tide Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Too much "vit or no vit" argumentation here b:surrender

I don't know how u guys get the most efficient way out of ur build, but I stick to endgameequip and calculating a bit. It's too simple to say "Pure mag, cuz u can get HP shards". There are pdef shards too, but the more pdef shards u socket, the lower is the %-bonus of lower physical dmg income u get.
    Here comes the point where u have to find the perfect balance between pdef and hp shards, cuz getting more hp is > getting more pdef when u already got a decent amount of def and the incoming dmg reduce is useless compared to a higher amount of hp. Hp also includes higher survivability against caster classes, cuz pdef obviously only reduces melee dmg. Nontheless u have to get pdef to survive and not getting 2-shot.
    Let's say someone found a perfect balance between pdef and hp. Well, it fits only this one person, cuz u have to calculate with ur endgameequip, then socket the shards and may be satisfied but hey what's that? The player wants at least 9k HP cuz he knows, that he will probably take this n that dmg from this n that classes in PvP or this n that dmg from this or that bossmob...ok PvM shouldn't be that difficult, u can have 8 or 9k Hp endgame and a death more or not won't bother u.
    But anyways, this player wants at least 9k HP, got 8.5 and increasing refinement lvl or socketing higher shards would be far too expensive. So he says to himself "I stat 50 vit, cuz I don't care about the difference of 600-700 PvM dmg and 150 PvP dmg" (sure depends on which skill u use, but whatever...calculating with every single skill u use..nah! xD)

So summed up, efficiency isn't efficiency for everyone, cuz some like to last longer in TW (u can't deal dmg when ure dead...can u? :P) and some like to deal the max amount of dmg.
    Well, I also guess this is far too much effort for a lot of ppl who don't rly care about springin the last out of their character.
    Anyways, just don't tell others about efficiency if u don't know about other players equipment and playstyles.
    Ur way may be the best way for urself but as mentioned...not for others b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryukage
    edited February 2010
    You already have. And most of it mostly bla bla *sigh*

Why all of a sudden you would represent "many of us" is beyond me.

But if a 20 VIT build is considered a VIT psychic, then be my guest and keep QQ'ing.

As for the rest of your text wall I hope you don't feel offended if I prefer to ignore it, it's just too eye-tiring to even try to read it.

b:fatb
    I'm just guessing, but the reason why I probably represent "many of us" is because there are, in fact, many Psychics who don't agree. Why do you think pure magic build is so popular?

Aside from that, if most of my post is "bla bla", then what was yours? I find it funny that you'd reply to a post you claim to not actually read, and still do it in such a defending-your-epeen manner. Oh well, enjoy the rest of your uneventful day.
    edited February 2010
    ryukage wrote: »
    I'm just guessing, but the reason why I probably represent "many of us" is because there are, in fact, many Psychics who don't agree. Why do you think pure magic build is so popular?

Majority doesn't rigthful make. It doesn't mean that because everyone is doing it that it's the right thing to do.
  • beastboyisbeast
    beastboyisbeast Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I do agree switching to a LA build is more beneficial than a VIT build because of more P. Def and Critical rate increase. Although both builds suffer a small damage reduction.
    He's charging his lazer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Szol - Harshlands
    Szol - Harshlands Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    LA aint all that wrong, since psy has good use for crit.
    couldnt afford to test it out yet, but int the end dmg might suffer too hard .
    atm we need some expensive items to get more survivability in pvp - eg getting more pdeff
    LA would come in handy here and most important : cheaper than arcane

dropping from 8k to around 6k matk - getting 4 or5ish more crit

in the end if u got good coins - stay arcane

but only my rhoughts
  • ryukage
    edited February 2010
    Lately I have been contemplating the effectiveness of a end-game LA Psy who stacks gear for +crit chance. With the high dex and enough crit gear, it might be deadly. But I'm not sure how much crit a Psy can reasonably get, so I don't know if it would be worth the effort. The other main problem I have with LA is that Psy's don't have a buff to multiply pdef like Wizards or Clerics do. True, we have White Voodoo, but that doesn't necesitate LA for me. If anything, White Voodoo makes me want to stay in robes more. (Because I can count on taking 66% less damage in a tight spot, with or without high pdef, so I'd rather keep my damage higher.)

Though, LA would probably make skills like Blade Tempest less of a pain in the **** for us.

On another topic, I noticed Landslide knocks pets back. I'm probably late to the party on that one. But usually when I have to fight a Veno, I concentrate on dropping the Veno ASAP, often ignoring the pet if I can manage it. The other day I wanted to get a person's Herc out of my face so I tried it, not actually expecting it to work, I guess instinct took over. Well, it did work.
  • Risingson - Lost City
    Risingson - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Don't fool yourself, you will need to go Pure mag and stuff yourself with shards at the end. Psychic is a - very - expensive class. Between the squishiness and the possible Soulforce improvement, you will have to spend quite a lot of money into your gear.

LA might be better for lower levels tho, but Psychics are like the easiest class to grind with, you get hit 2 times tops and only by ranged mobs if you know what you're doing. So I would still stick to Pure mag, even at lower levels. That makes one less expensive thing to worry about at least.

The reason why Wizards go LA at the beginning is because they have longer channeling times and can't kill mobs as fast as us. We can, so why bother ?
    Risingson - 7x Psychic
    Indalecio - 3x Cleric
  • ryukage
    edited February 2010
    Don't fool yourself, you will need to go Pure mag and stuff yourself with shards at the end. Psychic is a - very - expensive class. Between the squishiness and the possible Soulforce improvement, you will have to spend quite a lot of money into your gear.

That's basically my plan. I was just saying if someone found a way to actually have a high crit ratio on a Psy, it'd be an interesting thing to see.
  • xxibatistaxx
    xxibatistaxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You forget that one wizzie spell would allow the psychic to literally nuke you twice and with black voodoo it gonna be deadly. You forget wizzie = POWER but low casting time while psy = mid range FAST casting time b:shocked

And yes a wizzie would win if they could get in their strongest spells in but i highly doubt my landslide would let you b:chuckle

Plus soul of vengeance and soul burn are basic combos basically wizzie attack and lose probably a 1.5k or less and u just do two more hits and its game for wizzie. BUT i would want to see an epic wizzie versus psy fight (still would bet on psy though). Come people make that happen WE WANT EPIC FIGHT!!!!!!!

well me and the other guy arent epic but:
    this is how it went the psy attacks me while im questing so he starts nuking me down
    i silenced him gush pyro and hit a crit with blade tempest with me only having 24 hp left(of course i was out of his sight for a while regrouping) thats all
  • xxibatistaxx
    xxibatistaxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Ok i have a question does stone barrier reduce the effect of the skill as well?

Cause i'm not understanding what you said about wizzies stone barrier skill. I understand it raises def and earth resistance does it also reduce the effect of skills that stun,sleep etc. which are earth as well?

The reason for asking is because psy skill does not grant the increase time its more soul force. I maybe wrong but doesn't the skill say it increases the stun time by 1 second for every 5000 soul force. So i'm sure he shouldn't be getting a stun that has a duration of 6-7 seconds unless he has over 15000 soul force.(I may be wrong)

Also how much does stone barrier increase earth resistance and would it dramatically affect a psys earth nuking skills if they were both the same level.

max lvl stone barier=100% extra earth def (lots of damage reduction) and 100% extra pdef
    and yes the earth barier can take of alot of damage from ur earth nukes
  • ryukage
    edited February 2010
    max lvl stone barier=100% extra earth def (lots of damage reduction) and 100% extra pdef
    and yes the earth barier can take of alot of damage from ur earth nukes

He didn't ask anything about damage. He asked if Stone Barriar prevented the EFFECT. Which it does not.
  • TangLung - Lost City
    TangLung - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This topic will be open to debate until 2083, so no point attempting to convince anyone of the "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

I've played all the classes, and most of them are lvl 75+ (with my my main being lvl 86). In other words, I've been around the block.

That said, it comes down to how one prefers playing the game. I generally take on a purist role, with classes. To me, a DD is a DD, a WB is a tank, an EP is a healer. And I keep it that way. Again, though, this is what works for me, based on how I play the game.

My wizard is a pure mag build (370 mag at lvl 76), and hits like a tonne of bricks. Usually hits at around 10k, +/- some depending on elemental affinity. I have tried speccing for LA, but found the damage output too reduced, and the added LA protection relatively marginal, unless I had HP shards or some VIT specced in as well.

All in all, I didn't like that type of build.

With the Psychic (lvl 66), however, I am experimenting a bit. I am finding quite a successful build in Mag/Dex. Now, this isn't a LA build; I am not putting STR points in for LA. What I am doing is going an arbitrary route of allocating Dex, in addition to Mag, for the sole reason of raising crit rate. I haven't followed any real ratio, but I suppose it comes down to about 3 Mag & 2 Dex / lvl.

Add to this build a bit of gear with some -channeling (which is not really that important, since Psy's channel very quickly, anyway), and some crit gear (plus a crit arrow :-), and you suddenly find yourself a machine-gun speed casting Psychic who, with Black Voodoo, hits just about as hard (maybe slightly less, but very little so) as a pure mag Wizard, and has 10% crit.

This alone is often enough to compensate for low HP, and less Phys. Def, because you are still hitting hard, and critting fairly frequently.

But, again, this is just what works for me... and it works very well, particularly in PvE. For the record, I've never once done PvP with my Psy, so I can't say anything on this matter.

The only drawback is that when I'm in a group, I aggro more than a 'Sin or EA, so I need to make sure to switch to White Voodoo and kite like hell till the tank or some other squad member intercepts the mob.

All in all, though, I quite like this Mag / Dex build.
    I came, I saw, I pwned you....QQ
  • beastboyisbeast
    edited February 2010
    By the way going LA is mainly for TW, and PK if your not funded enough for high refines.
    He's charging his lazer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bad_Medicine - Heavens Tear
    Bad_Medicine - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I think I seen it in one of the earlier posts here in this thread somebody saying Psy's aren't all that wanted for groups. Can I ask why that is? I just rolled one, and I want to be sure I'm going to be wanted down the road.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryukage
    edited March 2010
    I think I seen it in one of the earlier posts here in this thread somebody saying Psy's aren't all that wanted for groups. Can I ask why that is? I just rolled one, and I want to be sure I'm going to be wanted down the road.

That's not nearly as true nowadays. The only times I've been turned down for a squad on my psychic was when the only spots left were reserved for a cleric or tank. Tbh I see more tideborn-hate on the forums than I do in game. Every once in a while I might hear "That psychic is strong... kinda OP I think" but that's about it, at least for me. Of course, who knows what people will whisper behind your back though.

That being said, we all have to try not to perpetuate the anti-tideborn stuff too. In other words, be careful in squads and don't do the stupid stuff that the forum people often complain about. We channel rather quickly and that builds up aggro rather quickly as well, especially on our bigger spells if we're not careful. Honestly, a careless Psychic is no less harmful to a squad than a careless Wizard is. The difference, though, there's a fewer number of experienced Psychics because of the relative new-ness of the class. So just be on your P's and Q's and you shouldn't have too many problems.
  • beastboyisbeast
    edited March 2010
    Well many people see Psychics as faster channeling Wizards which is why they say things like "OMFG, OP, nerf patch pl0x!!!!"
    He's charging his lazer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kwon - Raging Tide
    Kwon - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    well i'm pretty low lvl but i noticed that u have to be careful when in squads because we get aggro so fast... but i've never been turned down when a DD was needed

PS thanks for the guide it really helped a lot when started.
  • ryukage
    edited March 2010
    Well many people see Psychics as faster channeling Wizards which is why they say things like "OMFG, OP, nerf patch pl0x!!!!"
    QFT.

A lot of people don't actually stop to consider that many of our attacks are in fact much weaker on a per-hit basis than many Wizard spells are. We just have the edge DPS-wise, for two main reasons:

1) If you consider basic spells alone, a Psychic's Black Voodoo will usually give him a DPS lead.

2) If you consider the larger spells also, the Psychic's faster channeling will yield faster damage in a lot of cases.

However, people gotta remember a Wizard's big spell hits harder. A Psychic's big spell hits faster.
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Add to this build a bit of gear with some -channeling (which is not really that important, since Psy's channel very quickly, anyway), and some crit gear (plus a crit arrow :-),
    <facepalm>

The "crit arrow" trick does not work.

Please see these PWI forum threads:
    +1% Crit Arrow Myth
    1% Crit Arrow Against Rules?
  • rew14
    rew14 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Only one problem with your guide.

You spelled Psychic wrong.
    Someone should sticky this BTW.
  • beastboyisbeast
    edited March 2010
    Well that was a long break from PW. As for the topic name change, yes I need to get that fixed.
    He's charging his lazer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beastboyisbeast
    edited March 2010
    Also I'd like to know a GMs input on this. Like if it is good (as in legitimate) or not.
    He's charging his lazer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]