Kniraven's PvP/PvE Sword/Blade Blademaster Guide

Options
Kniraven - Lost City
Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Blademaster
Prelude: I personally thought this forum needed a sword BM guide, as it has many for the other three weapons (Why isn't DrunkenChu's stickied yet? >.<). Here is a collection of my opinions, findings, and work throughout the game. Post comments for me, and send a reccomedation to a mod/GM to sticky it if you do indeed like it.

This Guide will be covering both PvP and PvE

Alright, so Swords/Blades have a bad rep here in PWI. Truth be told though they are pretty damn amazing when used correctly, just like any of the other 3 weapons. Swords/Blades' specialty is 1vs1 combat and survival.

Let me start off by telling you some of the Blade Tree's pro's.

Atmos Strike: Hardest hitting (until Sage Cultivation) direct damage BM skill that does not consume chi.

Myriad Sword Stance: Hardest hitting direct damage BM skill (until level 100).

Flash: Hardest hitting BM skill period (but you can't learn it until level 100)

Spirit Chaser: An extra ranged attack. Not as good as farstrike (pole tree), but it's still one more than Axes or Fists have; and you need it for hitting runner/kiters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Advantages and Disadvantages

Pros:
Highest Direct Damage Skills a BM has.
Better ability to tank when necessary than a Pole or Axe BM.
Quick attack rate available for those that are too cheap to buy mana pots and who want chi faster.
High evasion and Accuracy.
An extra ranged attack.

Cons:
Lack of AoE skills.
Lower Hp than most (with my recommended build).
Inability to Amp Dmg for your party with this tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Levels 1-30

Levels 1 through 30 fly by quickly, and really the following is all just setup for later levels. Here is where you'll get your base high dex and the cap vit you need for the rest of the game.

Stats:

4 str, 1 dex on Even levels (2,4,6,8,etc)
1 vit, 1 str, 3dex on Odd levels (5,7,9,etc)

By level 30 your stats should read as follows:
Vit:19 Str:79 Mag:5 Dex:62

11 more points in the next level set, and then you will not need to raise your vit ever again.
I know right now a lot of you are going, "WHHHAAAATT!?" but heres the deal, honestly. At later levels vit doesn't mean anything. You get your HP from refined and sharded gears. 30 Vit is plenty enough to carry you there. We aren't barbs and it isn't as beneficial a place to put our stats as it is for them.

Skills:

*Don't Bother Leveling It.
**Level when you have Extra Spirit Points.
***Level it when you can.
****High Priority Skill.
*****Highest Priority Skill.

** Draw Blood: Learned at Level 3. Get it. You need it in order to learn some of your other skills. Whether you level it up more from there is totally up to you. I don't use it at all but it's a cheap skill so its not gonna hurt you to learn more of it *shrug*

**** Drakes Ray: Learned at Level 6. Get it. You need it for other skills and it is also your first ranged skill for hitting runners/kiters. It also makes for a good opening on the Physical Mobs you encounter during these levels. Max it whenever you can.

*** Stream Strike: Learned at Level 9. Get it. You need it in order to learn some of your other skills, and it is your only Aggro generating skill. You're mob control in PvE. Remember that. Move is pretty useless in PvP. It wastes chi.

***** Cloud Sprint: Learned at Level 9. Get it. It's you're GTFO skill, your chase down them enemy skill, your hurry over and save the squishy skill, not to mention your God damn it sucks moving around the map; let's speed things up skill. Plus it is a prerequisite for one of the best BM skills you will get later.

***** Aura of Golden Bell: Learned at level 13. Get it. It's your party buff. It raises your whole squad's physical defense. Very useful, very helpful. Always keep this skill maxed so you can lord over any other BMs in your party how much more important you are =P

*** Alter Marrow Magical: Learned at level 16. Do level this skill. It is VERY helpful when fighting magic mobs/classes. PvE/PvP it doesn't matter. This is a damned useful skill. Do not however, level it past 4 or 5. Because then you give up too much of your physical defense in order to raise your magic defense. People will take advantage of it if you level it too high.

***** Aelion Blade: Learned at level 19. This is one of your endgame skills. You will always use this skill. Level it as soon as you can. You use this move for it's high damage and it's chance at an extra stun. Use it whenever it isn't in cooldown and roar is.

***** Roar of Pride: Learned at level 23. This is another of your endgame ultimate skills. Your AoE High Chance of Success Stun. It's pretty pro and you best level it every chance you get. No matter what the opponent, use it when you can. An exception would be if you know your enemy is going to resist it somehow.

*** Alter Marrow Physical: Learned at level 23. I don't advise leveling it past 4. It's spectacular for grinding pure physical mobs and in the past it was great against BMs or Barbs in PvP; but now, with the appearance of genies, it's uses have become limited against other players.

* Oceans Edge: Learned at level 26. I found the move useless. It does little damage and the slowing effect has never been very helpful for me. It is especially useless in these low levels. Get it anyway though, as it is a prerequisite for other skills. Just don't bother leveling it.

***** Blade and Sword Mastery: Learned at level 29. It's your bread and butter. It takes priority over all other skills. Level it. It increases your damage.

* Mage Bane: Learned at Level 29. It is your first move on the Sword/Blade Skill Tree, and to be honest it sort of sucks. I've used it a couple times though for the 100% chance to hit effect when at higher levels archers have that killer evasion buff. Other than tha though :/ Never really use it.

**** Diamond Sutra: Learned at Level 29. This is your self heal. Get it and level it whenever you have the chance. It will save you from having to use health pots too often while grinding.

*** Tiger Leap/Leap Back: Both Skills Learned at Level 29. One makes you leap forward, the other back. Pretty self explanatory. Useful for leaping into or out of mobs, then running away. Good for leaping away from close range attacks right before they cast. Good for improving your speed in the water and in the air.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gears:

Levels 1-30 you don't really AoE and your skills don't do significantly more damage than your normal attacks. You should probably wield a single sword for the quicker attack rate and so you waste less money on mana potions by spamming skills. You should of course be using heavy armor, and while I can't stress enough the importance of magic defense ornaments (belt/cape/necklace), until you hit the orchid temple area it is mostly physical mobs so you can use physical defense ornaments to make it easier on yourself. If you can, try and stack the 1 man army quests with your normal quests so you can get reputation faster and have Rank Armor by the time you hit 30.

Levels 30-60

Stats:

5 str on Odd levels
4 dex 1 vit on Even levels (until level 52) After level 52, dump all 5 into dex.

By level 60 your stats should read as follows:
Vit:30 Str:154 Mag:5 Dex:126

Now a lot of people will say that this is too low vit (see above) and that the dex does not need to be this high in proportion to your strength. Trust me though, it's of great help. I have restatted several times to experiment with different builds. People will miss you often, especially when you start to use Will Of Bodhisatva. Even archers will have a difficult time hitting you. Remember, as a BM you get more evasion per dex point than any other class in the game. Use it to your advantage.

Skills:

** Fan of Flames: Learned at level 34. This is a really crappy AoE move. However, since you lack AoE moves it does have it's place and you will indeed use it. Get it, and level it whenever you can spare the points. You basically pick a target on the edge of a group of mobs, then run over there so that it will hit all the targets (It's a cone AoE).

*** Spirit Chaser: Learned at level 39. This is your second ranged skill for runners/kiters. It's pretty nice. Level it when you can to extend it's range. It will help you when you are frozen/on the other side of some object the slippery archer you're fighting caught between you. The damage from this skill is pretty good too all things considered.

*** Drake Sweep: Learned at level 44. This is an actually decent AoE. It hits decently hard too, so level it when you can. Using Roar of Pride and then this skill is a good way to establish aggro against a bunch of mobs so you cleric can begin healing you. It also works well as a spam skill in PvP because of the decent damage.

**** Atmos Strike: Learned at level 49. This is your hard hitting pro skill. It is great in PvP. Use it to your advantage. The knockback effect is nice in PvE for running behind a mob and smacking it toward a direction it wont run into other mobs. Afterwards you use your two ranged moves. It can also be used to knock a venomancer's phoenix away from you (and get it stuck in a rock if you're near one).

***** Myriad Sword Stance: Learned at level 59. There you have it, the hardest hitting BM skill in the game up until level 100. It also debuffs your opponent's attack and is an AoE move. Wonderful for tanking many mobs or a boss for a short period of time. It can one shot Arcane Armor users your own level if they don't have good gears. The move is all out nice. Last but not least, you can use it to tank a group of opponents in PvP if they come and surround you. It doesn't amp like Heavens Flame does but the direct damage from it is MUCH higher.

***** Will of Bodhisatva: Learned at level 59. Here is where all your shoving points into dex really pays off. This skill is amazing. For 15 seconds you have double your already high evasion. You are immune to stuns, freeze, sleep, and the like. And you move at 200% your normal speed so good freaking luck to anyone kiting you. Barbs and other BMs will miss like crazy. Other BMs will totally waste their stun moves on you. Clerics can't sleep you. Archer's freeze and stun will not work. I advise using this kill whenever it becomes available after cooldown in PvP.

Gears:

Levels 31-59 You had better start wearing magic defense ornaments (cape/belt/necklace).

Single Swords/Blades are better for PvE. You'll waste less mana and they have a nice atack rate. The mana you save can be used to sutra so you don't have to use as many health pots either.

Dual Swords/Blades have higher damage output, so they are better for PvP where sword BMs should be spamming their different hard hitting skills the entire time (between stuns) and using Spirits Chaser + Drakes Ray on runner/kiters.

At level 60 be sure to get your HH60 weapon.

Levels 60-80

Stats:

5 str on Odd levels
5 dex on Even levels (yes still)

By level 80 your stats should read as follows:
Vit:30 Str:204 Mag:5 Dex:176

Prepare for your life as a BM to totally suck. Loads of magic mobs. I hope you leveled Alter Marrow Magical atleast a couple times.
It really sucks to be a Axe BM because I can't even imagine trying to AoE half the things you'll encounter. On the bright side though, you now have most of your PvP skills. Grats.

You should approach your (PvP) opponents with Will of Bodhisatva, and then Roar of Pride them as soon as you get close. Next throw off an Atmos Strike, Spirit Chaser, and Drake Sweep (high damage skills). After that combo use Aelion Blade for a chance at a second stun. Then repeat the combo. At any point you want to use Sutra or Will again, go for it. Sutra may not help killing your opponent in PvP but it will make it even harder to get through your charm and to be honest you should be able to kill AA or LA user's without sparking. HA users you shouldn't bother with unless you have a caster to back you up. It's too bothersome to try and get through their charm until later levels. If you get 2 sparks, use Myriad on non-HA users and 2 spark then stun HA users to best use the full duration.

You're still pretty low level compared to most people PvP'ing. I highly recomend using both a charm and pots in order to try and make up for that a bit. If you're serious about it, then add on Elixers and Apothecary powders.

Skills:

***** Bolt of Tyresius: Learned at Level 79. This is a PvP move primarily, and you can only use it while wielding fists. So get some. By now you should be learning a few skills from other weapons anyways. In group PvP, use this to freeze your enemies in place while another pary member nukes them. Its good for keeping archers or wizards from moving at the last second. It also does a hefty sum of damage if you have decent fists. It does 250% base, which actually stacks with Spark. It's very nice.

***** Dragon Bane: Learned at Level 79. Let me clear a misconception. This raises your critical hit % up by 25% and cuts your base damage in half, not your full damage. As a sword BM you get most of your damage from the skills you use as opposed to base damage anyways. Also to note, you have a high crit rate to begin with. After using this move you will be critting pretty much 1/3 of your strikes. If you have a cleric purify you then base damage goes back to normal for the full 30 second duration and you keep the crit rate. Also, triple sparking will remove the debuff from you when you get there. Personally, I use this move either
A: in PvE if I have to tank. I will use this move, then get purified (or triple spark now that I can) and spam my high damage skills in order to establish and maintain aggro.
or
B: in PvP when I want to sneak attack my opponent and hope for a nice 1-shot crit. *cough*DarkSniper*cough*.

***** Smack: Learned at Level 79. VERY USEFUL. Use it to seal your opponent between stuns. it also has nice range so you can interrupt & seal them in the middle of a move or so that you can run to them and get them in range. >_> Also to note, when you use it on a mob they will run away from you in fear, which is just hilarious right?

Gears:

Levels 60-69 you don't really change gear much.
Levels 70-80 You better be using every legendary ornament you can find. Magic Defense Necklace, Belt, Cape, and even Headgear as stated before. You also want to get nice legendary rings.

Get These:
1. Helm of Aquavisciousness. I am sure there is a better 3 star out there you can find, but in all honesty, even up at level 90 I am having a hard time choosing a better helm. It gives you water defense, resists physical damage, and has a vitality bonus. It's pretty nice.
2. Cape of Tauran Chieftan. It gives great magic defense and you'll be using it for a long time so go refine it. It's an excellent equip.
3. Pirate king's Seal. Again, you got some good magic defense here, and the +10% evasion is gonna help you greatly with your high dexterity.
4. Equine Talisman. Magic Defense, Physical Defense, +HP, 1% resist. This baby has it all, and you'll be using it for quite a while. :)
5. You want 2 Misty Forest Rings. They give extra vit, and the accuracy will help you own harder on archers. You won't have trouble hitting them like other's will. While you may think your Sword BM dexterity is enough, it's not. Even with two of these puppies Axe BM's still miss frequently.

You want your HH weapon & armor (At 70 get the Warrior Blade because the extra strength it give can help make up for the pathetic damage that single blades do)

When you eventually get to 80, go for the Shinro Twins. The healing they give will help you in grinding and they do greater damage than the single swords (including the gold weapon).

Also, don't bother getting HH80 unless you feel like spending unnecessary money and time or you just want to be the all out best possible throughout every level. The Legendary chest and legs will work just as good.
These would be:
Proud Plate of Corsaire (Chest Piece)
Cuisses of Sea Captain (Legs)
To be honest I just used HH70 boots and wrists up until level 90. It didn't hurt me any but you may feel different. Basically I did this because the HH80 armor is not required in order for you to make HH90 armor. So I felt the HH80 armor was a waste of my money and time.

Levels 80-90

Stats:

5 str on Odd levels
5 dex on Even levels (yes still)
[I advise during one level, taking a point from dex and throwing it to strength. This way your dex will be a multiple of 20 and that extra 1 point won't feel like a waste.]

By level 90 your stats should read as follows:
Vit:30 Str:230 Mag:5 Dex:200

You get a lot of easier quests here, with phy mobs. It's pretty nice. Being a BM doesn't seem quite so bad anymore. You will also be approaching 89, where you make the toughest decision you'll make in this game. You'll be deciding whether you go Sage or Demon.

By now, you should be using multiple weapon paths, which you can learn how to use by checking out other guides, but I personally and many of you who have come this far on my guide may wish to have sword as your main weapon still. That's fine, but do realize that even if it is your main weapon you will be needing to use it in combo with the other paths in order to be all you can be.

I bring this up so that you'll look at the Sage vs Demon skills for all 4 paths.
I advise using Ecatomb.net as a resource for this.

I chose Sage. Some of you may choose Demon.
I do not want this thread to become a Sage vs Demon argument.

I will however tell you a few combos to check out.

Heavens Flame + Myriad Sword Stance takes out many squishies right off the bat. At 89 you will have 3 sparks and a full bar available. So, you can cast an ultimate, use a marrow for quick chi to fill up that next bar, then cast another one right after.

If you're using a single sword, which i reccomend you do at Level 90 (HH90 gold Zerk Blade), you can use Cyclone Heel to speed up your sword's attack for a bit to almost fist speed and then auto attack with it.

If needing to attack ranged, you can use Drakes Ray, Spirit Chaser, and the pole move: Farstrike pretty much as an endless ranged combo. I like to throw in Smack when i can too =P

Switching to axes for drakes bash and then back to the weapon of your choice, in order to maintain a stunlock, is never a bad idea.

Switching to fists for shadowless kick and canceling the enemy's casting, is quite useful when you see them channeling something big.

Gears:

When you get to 90, you should be wearing/getting the following gears:

Sword = firelotus blade of the dragon (HH90 Gold Zerk Sword). It is a single sword, so to make it's damage competitive you need to refine it. Once you do, the high attack speed will be such a blessing. You should be refining all of your gears at this level to atleast +4 anyways.
NOTE: The gold sword takes sacred mother's aura's, which are a much cheaper mat than those needed to make the HH90 gold GX. Grats on saving money.

Chest Plate = HH90 green HA
Wrists = HH90 gold wrists (They will give you negative interval, making your attack speed even greater).
Legs = HH90 green HA
Boots = HH90 green HA

NOTE: If you wear 2 pieces of HH90 gold HA then you get a bonus of +10 strength. However, because you recieve a vitality bonus from each piece I don't think that it is worth it to give up your vitality for that extra str bonus, and besides that, HA 90 gold is expensive so just get the wrists.

When it comes to ornaments, you'll probably want the following:
#1 necklace choice is HH90 gold Swindler Necklace. It raises your hp, and provides excellent mag def. If you can't afford that, then I suppose go for the Sky Demon's Pearl until you can. The pearl is a phy def necklace, but it will gibe you a +5% hp bonus which is quite nice.

Belt-

Rings-

Helm-

Cape-

-To Be Continued-

Kniraven's PvP Genie Skills

Still experimenting with genies (Which is a pain in the **** because good genies are hard to come by and/or expensive); however I can tell you this.

Balance & True Emptiness are totally OP. You really should get them.

True Emptiness works best with a Strength genie, and if you have a Vit genie then that is almost as good. At level 10 it has a 95% chance of casting a magic shield around you and in the air it can one-shot most AA and many LA users. I've even managed to one-shot a 9x BM with it for 12k dmg because I got a zerk + crit. Even if the damage at full energy doesn't draw you in, it casts for "x" energy, where x is the amont of energy your genie currently has (don't confuse energy with stamina) and it can be spammed over and over after it cools down for a magic shield. Other HA users typically do not do enough damage to get through your charm and with this shield on casters will do next to no damage to you. In addition to this, even if you are fighting a venomancer who is on the ground, her phoenix is always in the air. It will one shot most nix's if you have a good pure-str genie.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Kniraven - Lost City on

Comments

• Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    EDITS:

(Sunday, December 06, 2009) I have added a * to Alter Marow Physical and changed slightly my wording in it.
    It is a very good move for PvE, even if it's not that great for PvP.

(Tuesday, December 08, 2009) Moved 1 stat point from vit to Str in 1-30 and 1 from Dex to Vit levels 31-52.
    There was a slight problem with Armor and Str requirement for blue name levels.

(Sunday, December 13, 2009) Started off by giving out some info on the genie portion of my guide. It's still being worked on.

(Monday, December 21, 2009) Changed "legs" in one of the paragraphs to "wrists" because I accidentally put the word legs instead of wrists >__>.

(Monday, February 08, 2010) Added the first part of my 80-90 portion of the guide. Will continue it soon.

(Tuesday, February 09, 2010) Continued working on my 80-90 portion of the guide. Will continue it soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Currently Workin On:

1. Levels 80-90
    2. PvP Genie Guide

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Also reserved.b:thanks

-It certainly does not hurt to learn Draw Blood. At lower levels, it drops mobs FAST. Since you won't have AoE's at lower level and only 2 if you start with sword path, you'll most likely to kill mobs one at a time and this skill helps a lot. Once past 60-ish, the skill becomes obsolete, since you'll hit more in one hit than it does over 15 seconds.

-Alter Marrow Physical. ***, maybe even ****. Great for AoE grinding. Do NOT use in PvP even against Barbs or BM due to Bramble Rage from genies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Anus - Harshlands
    Anus - Harshlands Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    first postb:victory
  • Anus - Harshlands
    Anus - Harshlands Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    it took me 2mins to write a response, hate ninjas .__. anyway great guideb:victory
  • Worship - Harshlands
    Worship - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Nice work! Thank you for a sword guide b:thanks
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    it took me 2mins to write a response, hate ninjas .__. anyway great guideb:victory
    Nice work! Thank you for a sword guide b:thanks

Thanks guys b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    b:cute He's all growed up b:cute

On Topic --> Nice Guide...its bright....lol <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver
    Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Great guide, I just had 2 thoughts really. Now that we have the new bounty hunter daily quest, I don't think spirit is as much of a problem as it used to be. So I think all bms should go ahead and max draw blood, cuz it's a GREAT skill before level 60.

Also 5 str 5 dex every 2 levels is the same build I'm doing, but I'm actually gonna restat to 272 str rest into dex, because I feel like such a noob doing RB Delta with calamities lol.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Great guide, I just had 2 thoughts really. Now that we have the new bounty hunter daily quest, I don't think spirit is as much of a problem as it used to be. So I think all bms should go ahead and max draw blood, cuz it's a GREAT skill before level 60.

Also 5 str 5 dex every 2 levels is the same build I'm doing, but I'm actually gonna restat to 272 str rest into dex, because I feel like such a noob doing RB Delta with calamities lol.

Yeah I don't really know much about Draw Blood, and I stated in the guide that i don't use it. I can empathize with the calamity axe thing though. I am currently considering restatting the last of my vit into str. I refuse to lower my dex though as it helps me so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    great guide

ok time to nit pick lol

any way you could throw in alternate sworb main builds?

suggested geni skills for a sword bm

damage formula etc to help new people understand where your coming from on your statments

recomended shard and refine's per level to keep up with high vit bm's hp wise

suggested secondary weapons

any way you could move the equipment info into its own secion or make a table of some kind at the end of guide?

other than that great guide and im looking forward to the 80-90 and pvp sections glad to see a good sword guide at last b:thanks

oh and intristing trick DoT isnt reduced by cleric and archer shells venos hood or barbs invoke so draw blood + peircing winds (if you have access to the pole path) can actually kil them through their sheilds (ok not the barbs...dma their hp)
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    great guide

ok time to nit pick lol

any way you could throw in alternate sworb main builds?

suggested geni skills for a sword bm

damage formula etc to help new people understand where your coming from on your statments

recomended shard and refine's per level to keep up with high vit bm's hp wise

suggested secondary weapons

any way you could move the equipment info into its own secion or make a table of some kind at the end of guide?

other than that great guide and im looking forward to the 80-90 and pvp sections glad to see a good sword guide at last b:thanks

oh and intristing trick DoT isnt reduced by cleric and archer shells venos hood or barbs invoke so draw blood + peircing winds (if you have access to the pole path) can actually kil them through their sheilds (ok not the barbs...dma their hp)

Yeah I suppose I could, though to be honest I think the build I suggested is by far the most effective with the weapon =/ I've tried removing a lot of that dex for strength or for vitality, and the results were me getting hit more often and missing too often for my taste.

Thats what I'll be working on next :) Says so at the bottum of my guide.

Alright. Was there any statement inparticular you wanted clarification on?

You won't ever have as high HP as a high vit BM, however the point is that the difference in HP will not matter after shards and refines. Yeah, I'll go ahead and make a longer explanation for that. Most people are probably concerned about fighting casters with this build.

My second weapon was fists, which meant I still lacked AoE. It was amazing vs. Bosses and helped with grinding Mag mobs. and PvP though. I also maxed HF second after maxing Myriad. Point of this guide however is to focus on swords.

Yeah I can do that o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChaoticTears - Harshlands
    ChaoticTears - Harshlands Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Pretty much this ^^. At Demon level Draw blood's Bleed DoT is 4676 DMG per 12 sec's . Even with PvP dmg reduction its a nice skill to use, since they are still taking DoT while you have moved onto your next skill, and as we all know the more dmg you can do the better.

For PvE its a nice skill to help with tanking, as the DoT adds to your agro score
  • Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Nice guide.

I didn't bother finish reading the entire guide, since you still haven't convinced me in any shape or form that Sword blademasters are worth the trouble of leveling. I'm not exactly sure how you came into the conclusion that Sword blademasters are great in 1 versus 1 with only 30 Vit, or less. Since, I've always assumed Sword blademasters were great in 1 versus 1 due to having the highest Vit. Since using Swords/Blades usually forces you to use only an average set of points into STR/DEX, not not as heavily into one set of points like Axe builds or Fist builds. A.K.A., has the most extra points to waste into Vit.

I still remain disliking Sword builds, unless it comes along with a combo with Pole path builds.

Still, nice guide.

By the way, Aeolian Blade should never be spammed in PvP/duels. At least, not without a charm. It burns too much mana for a blademaster, that can be used somewhere else. : /
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    my criticism:

this guide doesn't mention sword path must NOT be the only path to be followed.

alter marrow phys is NOT any worse because of genies. just be smart enough to predict barbs hit you with genie and archers use magic skills. and... they hurt you plenty even without alter phys.

I do NOT recommend evasion ornaments. even though they're good for melee, magic will hit you really high. elemental ornaments are much better overall.

bolt of tyreseus also has uses for PvE. it's a nice skill for AOE grinding for axes+fists builds. has nothing to do with swords though...

I've been told the genie skill faith prevents the damage decrease for dragon bane. I haven't tested it though.

your build for 60-80 has too much dex. as you say there are too many magic mobs. I suggest you plan dex as minimal for fists/claws requeriment being always multiples of 20 for the extra crit. with 2 misty rings as your guide tells, accuracy is never a problem. example: 120 dex at lvl60(120dex required for lvl60 legendary and TT60 fists), 120 dex at lvl66, 140 dex at lvl70(139 dex required for TT70 fists), 140 dex at 76, 160 dex at lvl80(159dex required for TT80 fists) and so on... only changing the point distribution after 80 if you wish to use FF (168 dex at 85) or lunar (188 dex at 95) fists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
    edited December 2009
    Options

TBH the same can hold true for any weapon. Using the skills from multiple paths is always going to be better than just following one.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    By the way, Aeolian Blade should never be spammed in PvP/duels. At least, not without a charm. It burns too much mana for a blademaster, that can be used somewhere else. : /

LMAO! What? At lvl 10, it takes 107.5 mana... Even with my 3 MAG, I still have over 1.5k mana and have never ever run out of MP because I "spam" Aeolian too much. Aeolian cost the least of MP out of most of the skills I use... Smack on the other hand, take you by surprise on how little MP points you have.
    I do NOT recommend evasion ornaments. even though they're good for melee, magic will hit you really high. elemental ornaments are much better overall.
    QFT.
    I've been told the genie skill faith prevents the damage decrease for dragon bane. I haven't tested it though.

It would. Althought at lvl 7, for lvl 90 genie, it's only 70% chance and it also cost massive amount of energy -160. Might be worth it, but there are probably better ways of using your genie. Purify pots would be a better option IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Kedth - Sanctuary
    Kedth - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Good guide, a couple of things i want to say tho (as a pure sword BM till my 80's).

Draw Blood is not only a good skill, is a great skill, especially between lvls1-60. You will spare 1-2 hits killing mobs, that means that you will kill faster, that means u being hit less. Use it as an opener and follow it by Aeolian + normal hits and enjoy.

Phys marrow useless? Hell no, your best friend when you grind. Let it be AoE or 1vs1 grinding... less damage taken. And i dont think any clever BM will grind near magic mobs right? so use it and love it. Less repair costs too, a lot less. Max it.
    Don't u ever use it on PvP tho... >.<

Correction on Mag marrow, if you are going demon you want it maxed, sage depends... but have it and it makes a BIG difference on PvP against magic. Careful with decent clerics tho.

Evasion ornaments? useless, on any class, they just are stupid. Go elemental or phys. Elemental for BMs is my preference.

I disagree about spamming skills on PvP with swords... i use pure DPS to drop their HP and then stun-lock with axes. That with a zerk sword.... ouch. Skill spamming decreases your DPS and i only see it fit when i switch to Axes... because they are all about spike damage. Personal opinion tho, since i use Axe's spike damage here and there too (example when drake's glooms+crits+stuns... love it).

@accelerated, sword BMs being the most VIT based BMs? ehm... no. We have 2 free points (base build is 5str/3dex for armor/weaps), axes and poles have 3 free points. Used most of the time on VIT.

Keep up the good work Kniraven,

Take care out there
    edited December 2009
    Options
    LMAO! What? At lvl 10, it takes 40.2 mana...

Nvm he ninja edited :p
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Nvm he ninja edited :p

b:chuckle. Had it on the wrong lvl xd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    LMAO! What? At lvl 10, it takes 107.5 mana... Even with my 3 MAG, I still have over 1.5k mana and have never ever run out of MP because I "spam" Aeolian too much. Aeolian cost the least of MP out of most of the skills I use... Smack on the other hand, take you by suprise on how little MP points you have.

And within 3 of those Aeolians, you could of just used Sutra. I was directing that mostly on Duels, rather than anything else. : /
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
    edited December 2009
    Options
    And within 3 of those Aeolians, you could of just used Sutra. I was directing that mostly on Duels, rather than anything else. : /

I use mp pots in duels. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Taleon - Heavens Tear
    Taleon - Heavens Tear Posts: 392 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Nice guide, I do like the high dex builds as well, even tho I am more hybrid then a pure sword build. Till 80 I was pure Spear, added in the Sword at 80, fists at 85, and axes at 90 ( only for RB and HF )

Altho I agree, Dex can serve a lot more purpose then Vit, once you reach some of the higher levels, you do need the Vit. Even with refining and shards.

As of late, I have been debating a restat. With gear, sitting about
    Vit- 117 Str- 250 Mag- 12 Dex 264
    Stripped of all gear
    Vit- 76 Str- 219 Mag- 5 Dex 205

Gear is at least 3 socket with all Imac Cit all at least +5, sitting near 7.6k unbuffed 10k Barb buffed ( not sage/demon ) and will take still some nice beatings from AOE's in areas. ( enough to charm tick )

As listed above, might drop out some of my Vit down enough to use TT90 axes for RB. I can use TT80's currently, just been too lazy to go and farm them out.

Draw Blood is something that will be useful, more so after demon/sage as it is enough to really bother squishies if not cured, and stacks with Percing Winds ( if you use Spear )
  • Sewagerat - Lost City
    Sewagerat - Lost City Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Firstly, good job!

Secondly, Stream Strike is unnecessary, level up when your high level just so it looks nice :)

Thirdly, the Leap skills (leap back especially) are good pvp skills to have.

Fourthly, Mag def shards should be highly considered.

Finally, pure dex build (LA) with the HH90 zerk sword, can do some serious damage with the high crit rate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:shocked OMG HERB!!!!!!
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    yay?
    (O.o)'

*goes off to learn teh weaknesses of Kniraven*
    Muhahahahahaha
    (>.<)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Pretty much this ^^. At Demon level Draw blood's Bleed DoT is 4676 DMG per 12 sec's . Even with PvP dmg reduction its a nice skill to use, since they are still taking DoT while you have moved onto your next skill, and as we all know the more dmg you can do the better.

For PvE its a nice skill to help with tanking, as the DoT adds to your agro score

Yeah, I specifically said in the guide that leveling it was up to the user and that I don't use it personally. I didn't discredit the move I don't think.
    Nice guide.

I didn't bother finish reading the entire guide, since you still haven't convinced me in any shape or form that Sword blademasters are worth the trouble of leveling. I'm not exactly sure how you came into the conclusion that Sword blademasters are great in 1 versus 1 with only 30 Vit, or less. Since, I've always assumed Sword blademasters were great in 1 versus 1 due to having the highest Vit. Since using Swords/Blades usually forces you to use only an average set of points into STR/DEX, not not as heavily into one set of points like Axe builds or Fist builds. A.K.A., has the most extra points to waste into Vit.

I still remain disliking Sword builds, unless it comes along with a combo with Pole path builds.

Still, nice guide.

Swords are good 1vs1 because of their high damage single target skills. I deal high amounts of damage to axe BMs (for instance) my level while they repetitively miss me. Whether you want to believe it or not, evasion does play a great role when fighting phy classes. Ask any archer. Againts magic users, your single target high damage skills and your ability to debuff their high damage is what makes you win. It's not like you need to amp your damage in order to kill a robe user.]

Next, I agree that every BM should use all four weapon paths eventually. I have all 4 of my ulti's maxed and most my skills from the other paths leveled. That isn't what this guide is about though. There are many single weapon path guides and I wanted there to be one for sword BM's. :)

Last... Aelion blade is amazing. Get pots. There is no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't use it in PvP, if only for it's high damage and not it's chance to stun.

my criticism:

alter marrow phys is NOT any worse because of genies. just be smart enough to predict barbs hit you with genie and archers use magic skills. and... they hurt you plenty even without alter phys.

bolt of tyreseus also has uses for PvE. it's a nice skill for AOE grinding for axes+fists builds. has nothing to do with swords though...

your build for 60-80 has too much dex. as you say there are too many magic mobs. I suggest you plan dex as minimal for fists/claws requeriment being always multiples of 20 for the extra crit. with 2 misty rings as your guide tells, accuracy is never a problem. example: 120 dex at lvl60(120dex required for lvl60 legendary and TT60 fists), 120 dex at lvl66, 140 dex at lvl70(139 dex required for TT70 fists), 140 dex at 76, 160 dex at lvl80(159dex required for TT80 fists) and so on... only changing the point distribution after 80 if you wish to use FF (168 dex at 85) or lunar (188 dex at 95) fists.
    \

It says in my guide that alter marrow phy is good for PvE against phy mobs. I do not however see how you can predict a genie move and if an archer uses their debuff + attack while u have phy marrow on then gg.

Bolt of tyresius has nothing to do with swords, you're right. It is however a great skill and I feel people should get it. So i included it in my guide.

No I wouldn't change my high dex for anything. I've, as I stated, restatted about seven times to try different builds. It's true high vit might help me through those particular levels but a lot of people don't restat and after you get out of those disgusting swamps the evasion and accuracy you get becomes godly both for PvP and PvE. With the dex you suggest, you will miss Archers in PvP quite often even with misty rings. Also, me for that matter. My evasion flies over 6k when I use Will of Bodhi. BM's get the highest evasion per dex point in the game, and need to capitalize on it IMO.

Lastly, the belt you are referring to that i suggested is an elemental belt. It only gives evasion as a secondary bonus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options

I guess if you were in a duel and not allowed to use MP pots (which I do use in duels) then this is true. This is not however a duel guide :/
    Nice guide, I do like the high dex builds as well, even tho I am more hybrid then a pure sword build. Till 80 I was pure Spear, added in the Sword at 80, fists at 85, and axes at 90 ( only for RB and HF )

Altho I agree, Dex can serve a lot more purpose then Vit, once you reach some of the higher levels, you do need the Vit. Even with refining and shards.

As of late, I have been debating a restat. With gear, sitting about
    Vit- 117 Str- 250 Mag- 12 Dex 264
    Stripped of all gear
    Vit- 76 Str- 219 Mag- 5 Dex 205

Gear is at least 3 socket with all Imac Cit all at least +5, sitting near 7.6k unbuffed 10k Barb buffed ( not sage/demon ) and will take still some nice beatings from AOE's in areas. ( enough to charm tick )

As listed above, might drop out some of my Vit down enough to use TT90 axes for RB. I can use TT80's currently, just been too lazy to go and farm them out.

Draw Blood is something that will be useful, more so after demon/sage as it is enough to really bother squishies if not cured, and stacks with Percing Winds ( if you use Spear )

Okay I get it, draw blood is awesome by most people's opinions. b:chuckle I honestly don't know because I never use it so I am unable to add it to my guide yet in a respectable manner. I will go practice with it. >__> I do have it level 11 after all. I disag4ree about needing the vit. Yeah your charm will tick more often because you have less HP, but in most cases where I am in that situation I can do the task uncharmed anyways. Your charm ticks because you have a lower base hp, not because you are going to die without more.
    Firstly, good job!

Secondly, Stream Strike is unnecessary, level up when your high level just so it looks nice :)

Thirdly, the Leap skills (leap back especially) are good pvp skills to have.

Fourthly, Mag def shards should be highly considered.

Finally, pure dex build (LA) with the HH90 zerk sword, can do some serious damage with the high crit rate.

I use Stream Strike to hold aggro in some situations and it does work for me. While leveling it up does not increase it's ability to steal aggro, it does increase it's damage which also does help you keep aggro.

I totally agree tiger leaps are great for PvP. Did I state something to the contrary? O.o

I do shard some of my gears with mag def. The bonus isn't negligible like it would be for phy def because of how freaking low HA element resists are.

I haven't tried LA build. Don't think I will either. However I am considering using LA wrists and boots to see how that works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Good guide, a couple of things i want to say tho (as a pure sword BM till my 80's).

Draw Blood is not only a good skill, is a great skill, especially between lvls1-60. You will spare 1-2 hits killing mobs, that means that you will kill faster, that means u being hit less. Use it as an opener and follow it by Aeolian + normal hits and enjoy.

Phys marrow useless? Hell no, your best friend when you grind. Let it be AoE or 1vs1 grinding... less damage taken. And i dont think any clever BM will grind near magic mobs right? so use it and love it. Less repair costs too, a lot less. Max it.
    Don't u ever use it on PvP tho... >.<

Correction on Mag marrow, if you are going demon you want it maxed, sage depends... but have it and it makes a BIG difference on PvP against magic. Careful with decent clerics tho.

Evasion ornaments? useless, on any class, they just are stupid. Go elemental or phys. Elemental for BMs is my preference.

I disagree about spamming skills on PvP with swords... i use pure DPS to drop their HP and then stun-lock with axes. That with a zerk sword.... ouch. Skill spamming decreases your DPS and i only see it fit when i switch to Axes... because they are all about spike damage. Personal opinion tho, since i use Axe's spike damage here and there too (example when drake's glooms+crits+stuns... love it).

@accelerated, sword BMs being the most VIT based BMs? ehm... no. We have 2 free points (base build is 5str/3dex for armor/weaps), axes and poles have 3 free points. Used most of the time on VIT.

Keep up the good work Kniraven,

Take care out there

I didn't say mag marrow was bad, i said I didn't use it. I'll go play with it some more so I can make it a part of my guide. I won't add it until after I have experience it's usefulness first hand.

I don't use evasion ornaments. Pirate Kings Seal is an element resist belt. It just has an evasion bonus.

If you don't use your sword skills (the entire point of being a sword BM is the high dmg single target skills) then you might as well go fist. I have used the zerk sword and the HH90 dual swords. Dual swords do WAY more damage with normal attacks, so much so that their DPS is higher even if they are slower. the zerk doesnt make up for it. However, when you use skills, because we get s9o much dmg straight from our skills, the difference becomes negligible and that is when the zerk sword actually shines.

During the next part of my guide I am recommending Sage for Swords. Thusly I don't think Alter marrow mag should be maxed.

I said Phy marrow had limited uses and did say it was good for PvE. I don't know why people think I said it was useless.Perhaps my wording needs to be corrected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver
    Drunken_Chu - Dreamweaver Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I agree sage is the way to go for sword, nothing stands out with sage/demon sword skills and they are in fact pretty aweful in my opinion. So might as well get the 90% sword mastery, 90% golden bell and 50 chi skill. Plus one one of your staple skills, Aoelian blade, does a ton more damage when sage.

However if you are a really heavy axe user as well, demon is still good cuz a 7.5 second drake bash and 9 second HF is AWESOME.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I agree sage is the way to go for sword, nothing stands out with sage/demon sword skills and they are in fact pretty aweful in my opinion. So might as well get the 90% sword mastery, 90% golden bell and 50 chi skill. Plus one one of your staple skills, Aoelian blade, does a ton more damage when sage.

However if you are a really heavy axe user as well, demon is still good cuz a 7.5 second drake bash and 9 second HF is AWESOME.

Note: What I am about to say has nothing to do with my guide, and is all personal opinion.

I think that Sage is better for sword and for poles. I think hell is better for fist and that it is actually debatable which is better for axe.

I like Sage better for swords because of Myriad's chance to cast for 1 spark. After that, we have the buffs you mentioned before as swords are all about survival with their big attack debuff. I'll also agree that there isn't anything super special about the Sage/Demon sword skills.

Pole I also think sage is better because that ulti too can cast for one spark and piercing winds has a chance to cast for none. On top of that, farstrike deals insane amounts of damage if you go sage, to the point where it tops Atmos Strike from the sword tree.

Fists go Demon for Attack Rate. Kind of a no brainer. Not to mention if you go demon you finall have an AoE in your tree.

Axes most say demon because of HF, which indeed is a HUGE plus. However, I think that the effects of other Axe/Sage Skills could possibly out weigh it. Demon Highland Cleave gives an increased attack rate, which I don't think Axe Users have much use for. Sage however has a chance to give an insane boost to their crit rate. Stacked with Dragons Bane you're looking at a whopping 50+% Crit Rate. I mean come on, thats amazing. Plus Drake bash has a chance to cast without consuming spark.
    Like I said, debatable for this tree.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.