Anniversary Pack Discussion

Options

Comments

• Silver - Dreamweaver
    Silver - Dreamweaver Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Can we please unsticky this, just the thought of this being re-implemented in the near future makes me tear up.b:sad
    Most Ironic phrase in the English language is Common Sense, its easiest concept to understand yet few people ever grasp it.

~Silver
  • vbarbie
    vbarbie Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The competitive aspect of this Game, has been Severely Damaged and **** by the Items been sold for Dollars.. The only race is for the rich ones, and it's all about who is more rich in real life. nothing really related to a game of the kind that perfect world once was supposed to be. VERY SAD. very very Sad.
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Cash-shoppers pay cash for their Gold. Thus, they do not increase in-game demand for Gold and thus Gold prices do not increase.

Non-cash-shoppers (like myself) do not pay for Gold, thus increasing in-game Gold demand and Gold prices.

Not that these facts matter to anybody, since it's really just all about the QQ and firing blame wildly around at everybody else, with no care for whether or not the accusations are true or not. *shrugs*

Well I don't care what the reason is... All I know that gold prices greatly increased since anni packs came... And as someone who has better things to do with RL money I find this verry enoying... So that why I have my hopes it'll go back to normal when the packs are gone... And also I'm not suporting it at all cause I'm not buying CS items or gold from others too right now... b:surrender

@VBaribie: Yeah I know... That makes it realy unfair for those who have to rely on just making coin... It's all the same as in RL... Have money = have more fun...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    /applause

IMO there's only one great big detail you missed, in the boldfaced section above. Put simply, the Ani and Black Friday packs are essentially gambling. Now, I'm not saying gambling itself is inherently bad (that may be a discussion for another day), but it's being marketed towards a MMORPG audience, which includes significant numbers of all of the following:
    * Children and teens who do not yet have a solid grasp of money
    * Young people who do have a grasp of money but feel like they need to throw it away anyway in order to gamble for virtual "power" (yet not, as omph so eloquently put it, actual deserved respect)
    * Adults who simply handle their money poorly

Everytime I see this argument brought up, there are about two things that I can think of:
    1. Someone cash shopped and didn't get what they wanted
    2. Someone is trying to play a saint for a good public image

Well, quite frankly, the so-called "gambling" aspect isn't as much gambling as, say, real-life lottery. After all, you do get something for your money, whereas in real-life gambling, you're tens of thousands, even millions of times likelier to get nothing than get something. And when you do get something, it's usually something that barey covers the last few rounds. Anyone who managed to actually break even or, much rarer, come out winning, of any streak of real life gambling is insanely lucky.

Of course, everyone will be aiming for the grand prizes here on PWI as well, the shiny lunar gears and all the other super rares. However, the token themselves are far from worthless, as it seen by a lot of people buying them in massive quantities.

Really, I find it pathetic that people even bother to bring up the "maybe it's not legal" argument to things like this. It only makes them look like pathetic whiners or ignorant fools who think that they have some kind of a right to the jackpot.
    With the exception of the third category (which, you could argue, is the target market for traditional lottery and gambling methods), these are not audiences normally targeted by gambling operations. In fact, the first one shouldn't be targeted at all due to ethical considerations (i.e. there's a reason you have to be 18 to buy a lotto ticket).

The laws about gambling are different around the world. For example here in Finland, for the last few years, you have had to show ID to prove that you are 18 to be eligible to buy a lottery ticket. However, as long as you are 15 or over, you can play as much of those machines as you want to without anyone complaining. Even with such rules, most people just don't care; I recall my classmates spending time at the machine at a pizzeria while waiting for their pizzas, all while they were 13, 14 or maybe 15.

I am in no way denying or ignoring the fact that the Anniversary packs are rigged in a way that favor those who can actually spend ridiculous amounts of real life coins on them. Level 40s should never, ever, have items that are regarded as being in the top 5 best possible items for the end game. Not to mention people actually having full sets of end game gear before being even halfway there. Kinda ironic since the halfway point to 95 is actually somewhere around 88. Also, the packs do give birth to people like Wizzeled, who flaunt around their items not only in-game, but also on the forums, believing that their spending of cash somehow warrants special attention to their "achieving" what others have not done because they aren't spending those ridiculous amounts of cash.

I am in no particular defending anyone nor taking any sides. Nor am I targeting any single entity in particular. Though, I believe I will not only get a good 5+ responses telling me to shove it or go to Hell, but also get quoted by a mod or a GM for "flaming".
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • shootingstarvn
    shootingstarvn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    vbarbie wrote: »
    The competitive aspect of this Game, has been Severely Damaged and **** by the Items been sold for Dollars.. The only race is for the rich ones, and it's all about who is more rich in real life. nothing really related to a game of the kind that perfect world once was supposed to be. VERY SAD. very very Sad.

yes sad .... greedy GMs and developer ...
    not even fair to the ppl who dont have thousands of dollar to spend only for a game.
    just spend money on game and buy all items without work and ur "pro"
  • Baalzor - Heavens Tear
    Baalzor - Heavens Tear Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i think today is the 1st of December.
    DECEMBER!! Month AFTER november. That means WHY THE HELL u didnt remove the anni packs?????

QUOTE , A FREAKIN QUOTE FROM THE SITE

"This box will be on sale from October 13th at 1:00am Server Time until November!"

SO?? GM?? Remove!!!!
    http:// fr.xfire.com/video/36f4d6/
    RUBBERBAND \o/
  • shootingstarvn
    edited December 2009
    Options
    DECEMBER!! Month AFTER november. That means WHY THE HELL u didnt remove the anni packs?????

"This box will be on sale from October 13th at 1:00am Server Time until November!"

SO?? GM?? Remove!!!!

b:victory it should be removed at 02.12 .... let see
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

SO?? GM?? Remove!!!!

QFT...
    Hell, even if they removed it on the 30th of november I would be kinda annoyed, but satisfied (if that makes sense) but now its obvious that the GMs/Devs BLATANTLY LIED to us. Its December now,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • shootingstarvn
    edited December 2009
    Options
    QFT...
    Hell, even if they removed it on the 30th of november I would be kinda annoyed, but satisfied (if that makes sense) but now its obvious that the GMs/Devs BLATANTLY LIED to us. Its December now,

i want the palace pack to be till januar due to "popular" demand b:angryb:angryb:angry

i saw in post that anni should go tomorrow ..... if not ......
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Guys, GUYS.

Wait until tomorrow before passing judgement, okay? It's maintenance night. The packs should be gone tomorrow...
    Everytime I see this argument brought up, there are about two things that I can think of:
    1. Someone cash shopped and didn't get what they wanted
    2. Someone is trying to play a saint for a good public image
    I opened maybe four ani packs the entire time they've been here... all in September, all "losers." I didn't care. Yes, you got luck tokens, but if it were just for that, they wouldn't be so valuable.

And what would I care of "public image" on an MMO? Once you finish playing one or two online games you figure out that the e-peen is overrated. Every one of you could hate my guts and I wouldn't care. Hell, I've played other games before and I seriously doubt anybody here knows me there. I rather like it that way, actually. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Nihillae - Heavens Tear
    Nihillae - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Guys, GUYS.

Wait until tomorrow before passing judgement, okay? It's maintenance night. The packs should be gone tomorrow...

Only thing is, it is kind of a weak excuse to have to wait for a maintenance. I mean, didn't they just show off their leet CS skills with the hourly mystery mount sale? I didn't notice the server needing to shut down for maintenance every hour to add and remove the mounts to the CS, did you? b:puzzled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ottogi - Lost City
    Ottogi - Lost City Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    They don't need to wait for maint to add/remove cashshop items. In fact when cs items are added during maint, it's usually about an hour after servers come back up. Not to mention the countless weekend sales that didn't require maint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Options
    True, true. But never has a sale ended or started on a Tuesday. Usually they do things on the weekends or on Tuesday nights. Also, except for the weekend sales, every week or multi-week sale has ended at around the time maintenance normally would happen - whether there was maintenance that week or not.

I'm just saying this would follow PWI's general pattern.

But trust me, if they're not gone tomorrow, I'll be one of the first to man the proverbial flamethrowers. -_-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    But trust me, if they're not gone tomorrow, I'll be one of the first to man the proverbial flamethrowers. -_-

+1 to that

let the hell's be released ^^

Edit: Miu get off the forums and get lvling!! D:
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Slight problem with that: I'm at work. XD I'm not really at liberty to take up massive portions of bandwidth here... whereas the forums are relatively innocent and I can divert my attention from them at any time (unlike if I was TTing or something). -_- Trust me I wish I had more hours to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hehe, PWI forums were banned when i was at college :P so think yourself lucky ^^

cant wait to take you into FF :D
  • Okui - Heavens Tear
    Okui - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    /applause

IMO there's only one great big detail you missed, in the boldfaced section above. Put simply, the Ani and Black Friday packs are essentially gambling. Now, I'm not saying gambling itself is inherently bad (that may be a discussion for another day), but it's being marketed towards a MMORPG audience, which includes significant numbers of all of the following:
    * Children and teens who do not yet have a solid grasp of money
    * Young people who do have a grasp of money but feel like they need to throw it away anyway in order to gamble for virtual "power" (yet not, as omph so eloquently put it, actual deserved respect)
    * Adults who simply handle their money poorly

With the exception of the third category (which, you could argue, is the target market for traditional lottery and gambling methods), these are not audiences normally targeted by gambling operations. In fact, the first one shouldn't be targeted at all due to ethical considerations (i.e. there's a reason you have to be 18 to buy a lotto ticket).

Is this legal? Probably. Is it ethical? The jury is out, methinks. But am I complaining so much about this? Nah. I'd just like to point out the rather disturbing trend, and as one poster in another thread jokingly mentioned, we'd better not see any damned "Christmas Packs" or any other such BS in place of actual events. >_<

...I've heard the packs will be removed this week. But then, I've reason to believe that several big changes will happen this week... I guess we'll see.

Are you watching, PWE execs? I'm still ranting about you, every week. -_- Get rid of the gambling packs already. You've made enough money to ride on for awhile, haven't you? Are they worth a mass exodous after Rising Tide comes out?

EDIT: Since when did BBcode lists stop working on this board? >_> *replaced with asterisks*

Well put but here's the thing...

PWI execs are not going to be looking at these threads a whole lot, mostly the GMs and the mods. Complaining a whole lot to the execs is not going to be essentially the answer.

We must all remember that this is a game, there is absolutely no one making anyone pay real money for cool, flashy things. The only thing that I find truly annoying with the cash shop system is that things, such as inventory ext. stones and cages is not made available through simple in-game coinage which would be a great solution for those who want to keep in the spirits of a F2P experience.

If the Black Friday boxes and Ann Packs are still around, especially after the new expansion comes out...I will be very disappointed with the higher ups, but for the time being, I will be patient, but a prepaid card for support of the new expansion as a personal choice, and see how things go from there.

Again, we all have a right to complain about these new unnecessary packs...but please try to enjoy the game as it is and have fun. Look forward to the new expansion. :P
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Guys, GUYS.

There is no maintenance....

Declaring the sale was on until as vauge a date as "November" was bad enough...taking advantage and waiting till the last possible day of November was even worse....but pushing their luck and nabbing an extra few days in December?

Would be nice if they respected their players enough to be honest with us. :/
  • Conavar - Heavens Tear
    Conavar - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    There is no maintenance....

Declaring the sale was on until as vauge a date as "November" was bad enough...taking advantage and waiting till the last possible day of November was even worse....but pushing their luck and nabbing an extra few days in December?

Would be nice if they respected their players enough to be honest with us. :/

Removed on Dec 2nd, its in Spoon's New's post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Haden - Dreamweaver
    Haden - Dreamweaver Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    We must all remember that this is a game, there is absolutely no one making anyone pay real money for cool, flashy things. The only thing that I find truly annoying with the cash shop system is that things, such as inventory ext. stones and cages is not made available through simple in-game coinage which would be a great solution for those who want to keep in the spirits of a F2P experience.

Inventory extension stones bank extension stones and cages are available in game, you just have to do a bit of searching, and grinding. But, Admittingly, it would be nice if there was an in game increase in kill-dropped items from random mobs that we fight, instead of fighting off 10 mobs and netting about 5 piles of coins.

Im not going to complain about the anniversary packs, though in opinion they do need to leave, what I am going to complain about is that there's no counterweight to them. In one other PWE game thats out there, there's an in game counterweight to balance the heft of the boutique. That game, being EtherSaga. In hopes, I say that maybe the Marriage daily quest, or even possibly the new public questing system will help balance this. But I wont get my hopes up on it. There needs to be a way, to come to an equillibrium of Cashed purchases, and in came currency purchases to make a happy medium for those who can afford, and those who cant. The Auction house was supposed to be this, but Gold traders, set the prices, which means coin traders get soiled and screwed because they squandered money in this game.

the x2 weekends help, a great deal, but people's greed off sets the balance of things too. All I see during these events is "looking for help to open TT" Not, "Looking for squad to do TT" or "my wines my drops." You can blame and scream and holler at the GM's, but ultimately, its us those of us who cant set a happy equillibrium with one another, because we're all trying to make a buck, to make due and get boutique items. We set our own prices, the GM's just clean up the mess.

So cry about the Anniversary packs and black friday packs. Complain that you cant afford anything, its not the pack's fault. Its not even the GM's fault. Its ours, so maybe you should look in, and see this, and fix it, or yell at your friends who are dangling these packs over your head. As a whole Community, we control these items, and their value, Not the Game managers.

In closing, I would like to say I enjoyed the x2 weekend, once again. If you continue some kind of event, please, continue this one GM's, please, it helps.
    Good intentions are like peeing yourself in dark leather pants, you get warm feelings inside, but it doesn't show.
  • Meiko - Heavens Tear
    Meiko - Heavens Tear Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Sorry to beat on the dead horse but evidently PWI is doing so them selves...

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/news/newsubpage/return-of-the-anniversary-pack-7121

FYI its december 1st...
    is it wrong that i ask why the packs are Anniversary Packs STILL in game?

I mean there needs to be some kind of code of ethics where your word is your word. I mean I hate them packs I do confess but lets be honest , I opened a couple myself (them tokens did save some coin) but like Yay or Nay they are STILL here, and the aniversary is long said and done and so is November....

Please keep in mind you still have the BlackFriday boxes (which imo are not as annoying....yet)

b:bye
  • Kardie - Dreamweaver
    Kardie - Dreamweaver Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Early Christmas Packs Anyone? b:surrender
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Early Christmas Packs Anyone? b:surrender

No thanks, We have enough packs... >_>

I would like a BIG CHRISTMAS EVENT that is not cash shop related plz. b:laugh

I bet that's not going to happen.. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    So cry about the Anniversary packs and black friday packs. Complain that you cant afford anything, its not the pack's fault. Its not even the GM's fault. Its ours, so maybe you should look in, and see this, and fix it, or yell at your friends who are dangling these packs over your head. As a whole Community, we control these items, and their value, Not the Game managers.
    Nonsense.

When the devs fix the prices on cash-shop items, it has a direct and massive effect on the economy. Any game designer who doesn't know this would be fired in less than a week for gross incompetence.

I know people like to get all philosophical and wax poetic about how it's all of us doing it to ourselves, but that's just hippy rubbish.

The hard-facts economics are that PWI sets the rules, and those who are clever about figuring out ways to exploit those rules end up making a ton of money while those who aren't end up poor. Claiming that what the rule-makers do doesn't matter is just silly, because I can assure you as somebody who has earned 250million via the Anniversary Packs it was only because of what PWI did that I was able to do what I did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm going to miss the packs. I never did manage to get myself a lunar wing trophy. 6% channeling that can't be compensated for with other channeling items in the slot.

Or get all my mysterious page skills.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I wont be able to cheaply buy flawless shards for my future armor sets, or cheap subs, or many of the other items tokens gave us.

Oh noez.

Somehow I think I'll cope. Seriously, wanting to keep the packs just to get more tokens/more time to save for end-game gear is just being silly. There is such a ridiculous store of hoarded tokens that prices are likely to never revert to their original.

I made full use of the packs while they were here, I have thousands of tokens and stacks of items just like anyone else...but I sure wont miss them. I joined pwi to enjoy an awesome gaming experience and make friends, not get lots of moneyz and flaunt my +12 e-peen to nubs.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I joined pwi to enjoy an awesome gaming experience and make friends, not get lots of moneyz and flaunt my +12 e-peen to nubs.

+1000000 for youb:victory

lol i know ppl who ended up corrupted in the greed and QQ about them not getting anything. Worse of all, they beg for money.

Sooo yea, I deleted them off my FL

Its a fun game, just ignore the rich peeps b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Sakurajd - Sanctuary
    Sakurajd - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Okay, so Anniversary packs were moved to Box/Egg. That means they are permanent? Myself and many others would like to know that. Can we have an official response??

seconded!!!
    my name is SakuraJD
    do not be fooled by the name above...
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    are they gone yet?b:cute
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.