Annor's Archer Basics (guide)

Comments

• Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    On a new archer I've made I've used Frost at least 50 times per level... and I'm 32 now. Mobs don't hit me unless KB arrow misses or if they're increased life mobs, in which case I use winged shell. I only use Blazing, Frost and Knockback during normal killing, it's MP efficient and well, mobs don't reach me.

I don't see why you'd substitute Frost with Shell, you can up both, and Shell alone would suck, in my opinion. The cooldown makes it a crappy skill for grinding too.

Unless you're in a very mob-dense area, killing 3 in 30seconds taken travelling and moving and stopping etc all into account is pushing it. But if can avoid getting hit and you kill the mob, then that's fine - stick with frost. I just don't see how you can keep up with mana unless you have pots or charms. Shell is still very underrated imo.
  • Jessloves - Heavens Tear
    Jessloves - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    My turn =) I must admit I do not read guides as I tend to be a very .... original person, however I greatly respect Annor so I'd like to add my comments.

I have to give props for a guide that is readable and doesnt make me fall asleep ;) Dumb Proof ftw. Overall I've built my archer much the same as this guide provides & have found little to complain about. I'll admit tho that I rarely use skills either way lol (mainly due to the small problem of talkin too much b:chuckle). Likewise, I do not pvp due to the aggression it seems to always create lol, so I dont have views on that aspect of archer gameplay.

The only difference I have in my archer would be that I added 20 base vit as I originally started off on a blademaster and found it extremely hard to switch after 70 levels of being IN a monsters face lol (I'll probably restat that pretty soon tho). I do however add all hp to my equips to give me the extra hp boost (at Annor's suggestion).

To comment on the skills that Annor did not list on the guide: I've honestly found that the amount of mana use used for skills isn't worth the slight increase in damage they might give. Likewise, chi consumption is never a problem as I consume next to none unless I aoe and regain is rather simple especially with use of sling (speed ftw).

*hugs Annor* awesome job, glad I have an impressive archer to look up to <3 b:dirty
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    <3

edit: Those skills are on the way, if only to dispel confusion ;)
    edit2: Quickshot, Viscious, Serrated and Eagleon added... 'Ahh now that wasnt too hard was it Annor?'
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Jessup - Heavens Tear
    Jessup - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Annor You need to sleep , Im'a burn Sydney to the ground ! :) I Luv You :) * kissy Face *
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Awww, but who needs sleep when there's strong coffee, bitter and rich?
    Plzes to not burn me with love ;)
  • Voxstellarum - Heavens Tear
    Voxstellarum - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    sexxy guide anny:))

u didnt mention MY hybrid stylee, but i think its prolly better a secretb:victory
  • iruine
    iruine Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    annor, you seem to have a lot to say about archers. im still downloading the game, and i need advice. ive been thinking about my first class, and so far i like the archer. i have heard pple say that archery is expensive. is this true? also, can you fletch arrows on pw?
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Archer is not expensive if played right, but then again most classes can be said with the same comment. IMO, don't worry about it being expensive or not, it's your playstyle that makes it that way.

Yes you can "fletch" arrows but it's not worth the resources.

Just my 2c.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    To Vox: ty buddy, actually i was thinking about adding in your 'secret hybrid style' in a new variant (or possibly 'deviant') section ;).

iruine: have a lot to say? does that mean i talk too much? ;)
    I dont believe archers are a noteably expensive class no, the only real cost we pay that other classes don't is ammo, and as long as you stick to rank 1 ammunition (higher ranks are generally not worth it) the cost is barely noticeable once you get a little way into the game. We also have the advantage of having one of the lowest HP and MP usages when solo grinding (generally your greatest expenses in PW will be restoring your health and mana).
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I feel like I'm hijacking your thread, Annor. xD -stops posting-
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Nuuuuu... I'll... misss... youuu T.T
    The more discussion the better :)
  • Taalcon - Lost City
    Taalcon - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    That strategy where you wait for your tank to do about 15% damage to a FB is wrong. In PWI, aggro meters reset after a set period of time. It doesn't matter if a tank does 15% of damage to a boss before you start attacking if the aggro meter resets. The best way to avoid pulling aggro is to find a good tank - one that basically just spams ripping bite to hold aggro.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Erm... pretty sure it does not reset, interested to hear where you heard that.
  • iruine
    iruine Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    sorry im a little late with the response, been doin other things. thanks for the info
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Erm... pretty sure it does not reset, interested to hear where you heard that.

+1 :D [zzz limit filler]
  • Taalcon - Lost City
    Taalcon - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Somewhere on the PW MY-EN forums. I do distinctly remember reading a thread that said the PW bosses were unlike the WOW bosses in that bosses in PW reset agro meters every so often.

Here's a link to the general forums (as I forget which thread it was in), but I'm not sure if you have to register to get in.

http://forum.perfectworld.com.my/index.php
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I've never heard of aggro resetting except for certain bosses that have the skill to reset their hate (the TT boss).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I believe bosses reset their target when they get stunned (or maybe when stun wears off)?
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I am back to raid Annor's thread! <3
    I believe bosses reset their target when they get stunned (or maybe when stun wears off)?

Was just going to bring that up. I've experienced sometimes that it happens when my paralyse (aim low) wears off but I am uncertain whether I did too much damage or it reset, though it seemed like it reset. I can sort of understand if it reset after being stunned too though.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Most bosses are immune to stun effects.. im not sure if such a mechanic exists for lesser bosses or regular mobs.. if it did, that would definately surprise me.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, most bosses are immune, but the ones that are stunable (minibosses/elite mobs) which means they are paralysable do seem to somewhat "reset". Not 100% sure on this, so testing may need to be done. But apart from that, I don't think it resets in cycles as suggested previously.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Well I was expecting and hoping for some expert opinions on these two theories, but they have been a little slow coming apparently. For now, i will state my own opinions, and maybe later someone will come in with something more definative.
    1) I have not seen sufficient reason to accept that aggro resets during boss fights of its own accord, not from my time spent on PWI forums, or from my extensive time playing. The method I use to control aggro works for me very well, and this adds to my belief that no such mechanic exists.
    2) I have not yet seen evidence of a stun aggro-reset mechanic, but as this should be reasonably easy to test, i shall set about doing this in the near future.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited February 2009
    I would test it around 20 times but I'm feeling lazy lately (havent been playing much).

Let me now how it goes, Annor. :)
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    1) I have not seen sufficient reason to accept that aggro resets during boss fights of its own accord, not from my time spent on PWI forums, or from my extensive time playing. The method I use to control aggro works for me very well, and this adds to my belief that no such mechanic exists.

2nd boss in brimstone seems to reset of his own accord, but thats all ive found, oh and dimentora/shooting aur when he shouts 007 attack thing
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If any mods actually pay attention to this corner of the forum, I'm opting for a sticky on this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Ayn_rand - Heavens Tear
    Ayn_rand - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad to see you like the Frost Arrow too Annor. I think it's great but the other guide doesn't favor it as strongly.

Per sacchin it's "Priority: 3 - Good skill to have, best PvE opener in the lower levels, but not necessary to have it maxed later on unless you choose Sage path."
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Being an early ability, Frost Arrow is relatively cheap to level, and each rank you put into it increases that slow duration, which is the reason you're using it. For PVE and soloing there really arent that many skills that need much attention, an ability which for so many levels is so staple, getting thousands of uses, deserves this kind of attention in my opinion.
  • KiRa_y_oShi - Heavens Tear
    KiRa_y_oShi - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    b:cutei know im not and archer but i just wanna say listen to annor shes tanked my bosses for me ^^ and she kicks mm you know what i mean b:chuckle
    yes i have typos... no im nto gona correct them>.>
  • KiRa_y_oShi - Heavens Tear
    KiRa_y_oShi - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i wanna make and archer now b:pleased i feel inspired b:victory
    yes i have typos... no im nto gona correct them>.>
  • Manicero - Sanctuary
    Manicero - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I like this Guide better then the one thats sticky and Im L46 and i got a semi hybrid build were i got 30 vit 50str 15mag 171dex this seems to work really good in pve and well im planning on TW so i need the health.

1 more thing i have never herd anyone say anything good of serrated arrow i use it alot and it works really good while grinding since sometimes u miss alot against mobs and that keeps doing around 200 dmg every second