The Official Light Armor vs Pure Magic Discussion

Comments

• Xnonameherex - Heavens Tear
    Xnonameherex - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    yea but u are gonna have people that will play the class regardless . personally i feel each build has its own advantages and disadvantages . it just depends on what kind of playing style you have/desire . if dying doesn really matter to you or if ur willing to take the risk for more damage , then go pure and robe . however if u wanna pvp or just overall have more defense and hp so u know u can survive longer , then go light armor . to each their own thats all if there was a better build then everyone would just stick with it there wouldn be these long heated discussions about it .

it just depends on what the player wants with that character .
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    yea but u are gonna have people that will play the class regardless . personally i feel each build has its own advantages and disadvantages . it just depends on what kind of playing style you have/desire . if dying doesn really matter to you or if ur willing to take the risk for more damage , then go pure and robe . however if u wanna pvp or just overall have more defense and hp so u know u can survive longer , then go light armor . to each their own thats all if there was a better build then everyone would just stick with it there wouldn be these long heated discussions about it .

it just depends on what the player wants with that character .

I agree, but apparently all of Conqueror's (Lost City faction) mages disagree. I could never imagine going robe at 7x, or even 8x =\
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • littlewg123
    littlewg123 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Xerela where are you..id like to see u win me in a duel or even pk id pwn u..The explanation why...Well La mages can kill pure mages its very simple i kill pure mages in pk and duels all the time and they go like "wtf!!! how did u win im suppose to be the stronger version" And i laugh and fly away.well basically put i mostly pwn bms barbs and Pure mages because i have Average hp shards in all of my equips giving me lots of hp.Therefore pure mages do good damage i wont lie maybe 200more then La but i have 2 much hp for there damage 2 even matter..now pure mages 4-8 lvls higher then me sometimes get me but nxt to my lvl and ur toast.So NO Xerela your not corect you pure mages cannot pwn La unless u have more hp or have very damn good combos or attacks...Also plz no one listen to Haiz ive read some things she has said and she is a certifed idiot sometimes..Xerela u may be good but thats no reason to say La mages that cross ur path are always dead pff..All mages are good its all about the equips
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Xerela where are you..id like to see u win me in a duel or even pk id pwn u..The explanation why...Well La mages can kill pure mages its very simple i kill pure mages in pk and duels all the time and they go like "wtf!!! how did u win im suppose to be the stronger version" And i laugh and fly away.well basically put i mostly pwn bms barbs and Pure mages because i have Average hp shards in all of my equips giving me lots of hp.Therefore pure mages do good damage i wont lie maybe 200more then La but i have 2 much hp for there damage 2 even matter..now pure mages 4-8 lvls higher then me sometimes get me but nxt to my lvl and ur toast.So NO Xerela your not corect you pure mages cannot pwn La unless u have more hp or have very damn good combos or attacks...Also plz no one listen to Haiz ive read some things she has said and she is a certifed idiot sometimes..Xerela u may be good but thats no reason to say La mages that cross ur path are always dead pff..All mages are good its all about the equips
    So you lose to anyone with equal gear. k.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    owned. lol.
  • littlewg123
    littlewg123 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    lol basically put im making my point man..LA mages like some ppl say are not weak..pure mages cannot just own us.there are some pure mages with sucky equip even better equip that lose to LA..lol and sometimes i get lucky with a crit in duels or pk
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Lol you're repeating yourself. Only way a Robe user would lose to a LA user is if;
    - large difference in gear, skills, level
    - luck
    - they're ****ing ****
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Lol you're repeating yourself. Only way a Robe user would lose to a LA user is if;
    - luck
    - they're ****ing ****

Agreed, I think littlewg123 set himself up for a self-pwn with his post. I think he should meditate on what he's about to say before he posts, especially something like criticizing a mage like Haiz, who has so much experience.
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    - luck
    - they're ****ing ****

I lol'd b:laugh
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Legerity, as much time as you spend on the wizard forums, why the hell are you an archer? lol
  • Moobysnax - Lost City
    Moobysnax - Lost City Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    It's kind of hard to tell which is better. Each has their own perks. I'm not high enough to tell which is better. I've just statted LA since lvl 2 and I wish I statted full int to start with. I'm too lazy to get reset notes and replace the gear I made already. I haven't really PK'd because I get owned in duels enough as it is. I really hope being a wiz pays off -_-.
  • PurpleScar - Sanctuary
    PurpleScar - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    mm.. Seifa stopped replying..
    i was enjoying his bullcrap while pw servers are down lol
    please tell me more about your extra dex for a l.a.
    wiz. veno here very very interested.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    streaker wrote: »
    Legerity, as much time as you spend on the wizard forums, why the hell are you an archer? lol

I have a wizard too :D
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Robe build is the way to go if you're indesicive. It allows you to level faster and is cheaper, more damage/mana. Especially on PvE servers, where PK isn't an issue.

Personally I'm rather fond of LA though, the survivability against BMs is just amusing. And they're the ones, along with barbarians, I usually run into.
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Robe build is the way to go if you're indesicive. It allows you to level faster and is cheaper, more damage/mana. Especially on PvE servers, where PK isn't an issue.

Personally I'm rather fond of LA though, the survivability against BMs is just amusing. And they're the ones, along with barbarians, I usually run into.

QFT.
    I've been pondering restatting pure lately though... I believe I could pull off a well rounded build with it. But I need to get Undine, my hh80, and gear for it first. I'll probably just wait till 90.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blac0kross
    blac0kross Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    actually i would say robe might be better (please correct if im wrong) because cant you just upgrade it for more physical defense? While you can upgrade a weapon for more Matk as an LA you cant upgrade your armor to do that and a robe can upgrade his/her weapon anyway, but im only level 24 so please correct if im wrong :D
  • blac0kross
    blac0kross Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Here's some truth.

I just spent 20 bucks on restating.

With 230 mag and 100 vit 39 str 5 dex I was hitting 9500 with lvl 10 divine pryo.

With 330 mag and 5 vit 39 str and 5 dex I was hitting 9500-10k with divine pryo, the 10k was not every hit more like once out of every 5 hits

100 extra points in mag got me roughly a almost gurenteed extra 300 damage on most hits and sometimes extra 500 damage

I dont know what this means to you but it means i'll be going light mage armor at 80 cos I just spent 12 mill outfitting my wife and I with our 70 outfits 8/

Light armor ftw

but because of this i might go LA, because going pure doesnt seem worth the survivability sacrifice :P someone help plox
  • Superaph - Lost City
    Superaph - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Pure lacks pdef. Its a fact. Anytime you choose to go pure wizard make up in your mind early that even with good pdef gears (nice *s, shards and +s) that your pdef is less (or potentially less) than any LA or HA build.

This is the major downside to rolling a pure built wizard. Also because of the low HP modifier it makes no sense putting points into con so that on top of having the lowest pdef you also have the lowest amount of HP.

So a pure wizard is low on survivability when compared to the LA build. At least in PvE you can use the combination of spell range and high damage to make life easy but in PvP once a class lock in on you, your chances become slim. Even if the damage is magic based it still not a boon because even though you have exceptional mdef your HP is still too low.

Pure lacks crits. You like gambling? Then LA is for you. Its like trying to rely on hailstorm to freeze except instead of a 33% chance its more like a ~5% chance (at higher levels). I simply can't support an argument based on a 5% chance especially at my level. I'll take the higher matk thank you. The crit factor is something LAs tlk about to make themself feel better about their lack of damage. You rolled LA because you don't wanna die from patk based damage and give yourself better HP not for a 5% chance more to crit. You may crit more often yeah but how much more? Is it reliable? If it is then that 5% modifier is bugged and theres supposed to be a 0 hiding somewhere behind it!

Pure is for PvE while LA is for PvP. Well blow me down but so far you would have guessed that I am pure and hooo boy I would love nothing more than to see a LA cross my path = dead. Yup you can definitely take more patk based hits than me but unless you have every HP modifier in the book on your gears I see you and your'e toast. So yeah, I see a gank or an archer and I turn heel and run but I really doubt your extra pdef is going to keep that same archer or gank (so long as they know what they are doing from killing you too). While an LA is busy deciding if they will stay for a hit or two I have developed the fine art of running hard! I don't feel embarassed about it. I'm a pure, its expected. But remember this, If you don't watch you back, I won't be relying on a 5% chance to toast you, I'll be roasting you on my pyro pike and inviting friends over for some bbq.

LA is by all acounts far more practical but in a thread like this I aint looking to sound all logical and so on. I am pure. Feel the pain.

All that you explained is correct, but if u read Haiz's article says that it isnt always true. I might not have the best gear atm, but i can still 2 hit an archer my lvl and kill a 7x archer if it was to be a surprise atk.

I am very much a 1-2 hit to archer about 5lvls under me and all above me, and I am a 2-3 to bms, barbs, and even clerics with there plume shot. But if I had better gear and the right shards, you can preety much survive agaisnt any class, just takes skill
  • meaangirl
    meaangirl Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    All that you explained is correct, but if u read Haiz's article says that it isnt always true. I might not have the best gear atm, but i can still 2 hit an archer my lvl and kill a 7x archer if it was to be a surprise atk.

I am very much a 1-2 hit to archer about 5lvls under me and all above me, and I am a 2-3 to bms, barbs, and even clerics with there plume shot. But if I had better gear and the right shards, you can preety much survive agaisnt any class, just takes skill

Doesnt really take skill, it takes levels and gear.
    I mean, if you want to distance shrink all day like Pandora, sure, but then why would you need light armor?
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited May 2009
    if pandora is the same person i see on this site:

http://www.rqclan.com/vids/stream/RQTheatre.html

he tanks more than anything. and that's what light is good for, tanking a few extra hits(and a nice base crit)
  • meaangirl
    edited May 2009
    A wizard's job is not to tank, if you want him to tank lets see him pull a cata or something. A wizard's job is to DD, and thats what pure mag is for
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'm pure and managed to get 2470 pys def (stone shield) in my gear with only def shards in my hat and cape. Rest is hp shard. Its a lot better than 4 lvls ago when i had about 1k pys def with stone shield...... those lvls were seriously hell for me, geting ganked in 2 hits...

the only problem i have now is low hp. (which requires better gear by refining) So all in all if you have the money to get good gear go pure.

At my level right now with stone shield i have a 2687 pdef so there's ur diff. After all the reading isn't it exactly the same in the end? Either you do lots of damage before you get hit to kill it - pure; or you get the ability to take a couple hit's to kill stuff - LA. Isn't it the same in the end? If ur going to lose you'll lose as a LA or pure. I think what we all need to do as wiz's is get to lvl 110+ and kill everything that was killing us.
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
  • kumbakarna
    kumbakarna Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    a have a question for my LA wizard

Lvl 27

vit 5
    dex 31
    str 31
    maq 83

(without bonus's items)

using lvl 4 LA armours

3 levels more, that is 3 points in dex and 3 more points in str i will be able to use lvl 5 LA Armours

the thing the most ppl i ask in game says wizards should use Arcane armours...

i am not sure if iam doing good using LA armour or Arcane with my Built.
    3maq 1 str 1 dex per lvl or should i use Arcane?

on the other hand i am planning turn into pure Maq, reaching dex to 40 points.. leaving str as it 31 points and maxing maq.

wanna know ur opinios about this

thanks
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    if your on a pvp server go LA
    but pve go pure
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • EL_GRIS - Sanctuary
    EL_GRIS - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    what about keep dex in 40 point to increase critical and evasion?
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    2% crit and... god knows how little evasion isn't worth the matk loss as pure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anemone - Harshlands
    Anemone - Harshlands Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The only reason adding the str/dex is worth it is because of the extra survivability, and if you don't have enough for LA, the critical isn't that impressive by itself. Evasion on a mage is hardly even worth talking about unless you have thousands of it.
    Formerly /Haiku/ of Lost City.
    Still cognitive atrophy at its finest.
  • Shadowdragon - Harshlands
    Shadowdragon - Harshlands Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    prof wrote: »
    if pandora is the same person i see on this site:

http://www.rqclan.com/vids/stream/RQTheatre.html

he tanks more than anything. and that's what light is good for, tanking a few extra hits(and a nice base crit)

Just watched some of these videos, and I must say I'm somewhat impressed, somewhat not knowing how to feel.

The question I have is, is this not up to standards of high level wizards? If not why not? Pandora seems to do very well in the TW, or is there more that we're not shown? Any input (non flames) would be welcomed.

I have another question, everyone says that LA mages are still a one shot, but doesn't that mean the same thing for archers and LA venos? Archers don't have much of a choice, but I've never heard of an archer complain about that. And as for the veno, if they can't take hits in LA either why not go mag, least then you can deal more dmg before you die right?
  • Biggyluv - Lost City
    Biggyluv - Lost City Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Never tried LA mage....we supposed to hit hard and die easy. Just refine the hell out of your gear and get ALL pdef shards in your armor. FTW!
  • meaangirl
    edited May 2009
    if your on a pvp server go pure
    but pve go pure
    fixed

I hate this stereotype