The Official Light Armor vs Pure Magic Discussion

Comments

• Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Ummmmmm no

If you aren't taking hits please tell me the point of being light armor. You're light armor but you still run away when melees attack you, no different from a robe.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If you aren't taking hits please tell me the point of being light armor. You're light armor but you still run away when melees attack you, no different from a robe.

Depends how you mean. I generally have to kite away melee with distance shrink for my hiero to recharge every few hits O:
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I am pure, and i will stay that way, but i certainly see some PvP advantages of being LA. Not to say there aren't disadvantages as well. Remember, everything is about playstyle. 1v1, 6v6, 2v8, TW, etc, Robe will be better for some, LA others.

You are not meant to tank, LA does not = tank. And no matter the class you do not want to take hits. Taking hits = bad. To say that is just silly and i know you are not serious about that so don't take this as me bashing you. Just as an archer wouldn't jump right next to a barb/bm, cause he would be dead, or a bm better stun me or he would be dead, mage is still going to keep range on melee or he would be dead, LA or not. LA does equal chance for longer survival if you are hit in the hopes you can back off, crit and knock someone out. You are almost always dead if pure and ganked/stunned/slept, you have a greater chance if you are light. Simple as that. We have spike, they have some crit, little more hp, and can take some more phys hits. Pick your posion.

Sure things change at real high levels and tons of LA say they will restat at that point, but 50-90 isn't an overnight thing
    b:bye
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    LA mostly saves me from being shot in the back/surprise attacks, by (bad) archers for example. Gives me enough time to blink away rather than just falling over.

Also for lulz like this. 66 Barb doing **** damage.
    http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/Legault_/?action=view&current=everix.jpg
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    Seifa - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Uhm either way, light or robe, if a higher or slightly above archer stuns you. Game over.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    True, but at least it prevents the lower level ones from flooring you as well. 8D
  • Xerela - Heavens Tear
    Xerela - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well its only at the lower levels but I am detecting that early on the magic stat does very little to affect the magical attack. From what I am seeing even at my level the weapon and the skill +damage are far more important to magic damage than the mag stat.
    Does anyone with more experience have any data on just how important the mag stat is to damage output. So far it seems to only give a good boost to mana and mag def.
    Given the existence of charms in this game then I believe that the LA build can get away with having the lower mag stat. Supplemented by charms and a good weapon the LA build could (pure speculative at this point) be every bit as effective as the robed build.

Let me state here one more time. Charms are a truly carebear item. I do not like that they exist at all. That does not mean I wouldn't use them but they are way too powerful a tool. Charms NEED a nerf since I doubt they can be gotten rid of at this point.
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Remove the existence of charms(or nerf), and I assure you, the game loses all point and purpose. The efficiency of people during TW is based on charms, for cata pullers and everyone alike. A world without charms(or nerfed) would make mages the most gimped class in existence, as anybody can easily punch past your fluffy HP and your nerfed charm. I consider that is a poorly thought of request. Just because they are expensive and not everyone may be able to afford them doesn't mean they are "too powerful", they are just "useful enough", in my opinion.

Also, about giving a LA build a good weapon... why not give a robe armor a good weapon? You need to put them on even grounds here, not try justifying the LA build by out-gearing the robe build.

Edit: I didn't discuss how it would also affect other classes who really depend on hiero for certain activities. But I leave it open for anyone else to add...
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Let me state here one more time. Charms are a truly carebear item. I do not like that they exist at all. That does not mean I wouldn't use them but they are way too powerful a tool. Charms NEED a nerf since I doubt they can be gotten rid of at this point.

Taken straight out of "Zoe's guide to PvPing" o.O

I've been in LA since '81.

Going back to robes at 90 though.

For me LA only really shows its true power when you have stone barrier+Golden bell(or w/e the BM skill is) + cleric buff. If I use all pdef adorns and have full buffs I can get 7250 pdef which is almost 70% phys reduction irc. Sounds good but only engage in PvP for TW so its pretty hard to keep fully buffed all the time, we have cleric buffing stations but a BM/Barb have to be in your squad to give buffs.

Obviously Robes would give less pdef, but the good thing about TT90 armor is that its pretty much end game. I've saved up 250 mirages for TT90 refining, not really going to be enough considering the refining rate is complete bollocks, plus I'm developing a slight cube addiction. I've also been stashing lvl 5 gems.
    I like pie
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Mages are skilled in the art of damage dealing. Our spells take a lot of mana, and we need a lot of mana to back us up instead of sitting or buying a mana hiero every few days. I have 9.2k mana self buffed at lv73. Its a amazing amount of mana that is VERY useful, i'll tell you that. When you're making 2 sparks with heal you wanna go straight out and use them in PvP, but if you do enough heals for 2 sparks as LA, unless you're wearing a charm that so very easily is eaten in 2 days your mana is already running low.

Mages are DD's. Damage dealers. In TW you want a mage to be dealing a constant maximum of damage they can deal, constant, not meaning maybe a crit. Cleric buffed a mage has a lot more magic attack, robe, then a light armor would. Which is VERY handy in TW, the amount of power that comes out of a mage buffed is just not funny.

Zhenning is another thing, with my lv9 DB it is still an effort zhenning on lv81 mobs with cleric buff and red bubble. Mages need to squeeze as much power as they can out of their weapons for various reasons. Light armor may not have such a reduction if they are built right, but I am seeing so many wizards making light armor the wrong way at the wrong level.

If you want to be light armor YOU NEED TO HAVE EXPERIENCE AS A ROBE or you are just not gonna get what you're doing and why. And Try why are YOU going LIGHT ARMOR on a PvE server at lv80??? That isn't the best of ideas considering now you cna grind on undines outside 1k stream and your lack of water defense unless you're wearing all good fishing gear with extra water defenses on them will get you owned by undines. Even my 10k water resist isn't counted as good enough for undines, my friends 15k is LOL

Point is. Choose the armor that is best for you. BUT IF YOU CHOOSE EITHER ARMOR BE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO BUILD STAT WISE AND SKILL WISE, OR YOU SHOULD JUST START OVER AS A NEW CHARACTER.

Also. My final though, if you want to be a light armor mage, why not just be an archer? They get magical and physical, they get extra skills that work with their armor. They get a stun advantage and also have a knockback. A light armor mage is a archer with slower cast time and no physical attack and no stun in my opinion lol.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, im sure light armor mages have a lot that archers don't, I'm just yet to find anything to back that up :P
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    Miss_Tika - Lost City Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I just went LA @ 78, and let me say that i'm loving it so far. I was sort of Hybrid before, not ful int, I had about 50 VIT and hit 3.2k HP at 77, which is so much better than some of the full int mages i see. I was hitting pretty hard usually, i tried to have the best gear i could find. In the mid 70s i had a Genesis vestment, feet, wrists and hat with a 2 or more (+69) def mods on each, dark pands of hades, and Saky light. I think that only got up to.. 2.7k defense self buffed. And I still got one shotted, consistantly in PvP, and died in 2-3 hits to a Physical mob. I was honestly disgusted at how much was dying. I read Pandora's guide and talked to many high level wizards on Lost City like... Elayne, Wesura, Macros etc, and decided to go Light.

Now that I'm LA, I love that I can switch to robes or to Light armor depending on the mobs around me, or if i want to PvP.

In PvE i didn't notice much of a difference... I was still able to 3 shot mermaids near Naught, and Butters took probably one more gush to take down.

And Siefa, apparently the damage reduction in PvP from an LA isn't much worse than a full int. And the crit rate is nice.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    You asked all the pure mages, and then decided to go light? *lol*

You chose a REALLY bad time to go light.

Soon you can grind on undines.. without magic defense. Goodluck lvling ;) I'm talking about undines near 1k btw

and also with butterflies, you will do my damage, IF that, maybe or probably less at your lvl, and believe me, that dmg isn't nice dmg. Luckily i have 3 pheonixs grinding with me :) I just hope your just a lucky or bflies will be fun for you :D!
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    You asked all the pure mages, and then decided to go light? *lol*

You chose a REALLY bad time to go light.

Soon you can grind on undines.. without magic defense. Goodluck lvling ;) I'm talking about undines near 1k btw

Elayne is the only pure mage (lol). And I talked with more.

What the hell are you talking about? I just pop on my robes, bam Water defense, the problem? And undines (peopel call them fish, btw) are usually with a party... Magic gives Special Defense.. but that that much. Water res + robes are the way to go.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Uhm if you have enough magic to still wear genesis, you failed restatting.

OH AND I TOLD MACROS ABOUT THIS AND HE SAID 'Who cares, let the nubs go light'

YES YOU TOTALLY ASKED HIM *rofls*
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Uhm if you have enough magic to still wear genesis, you failed restatting.

OH AND I TOLD MACROS ABOUT THIS AND HE SAID 'Who cares, let the nubs go light'

YES YOU TOTALLY ASKED HIM *rofls*

Wow you're ignorant. Genesis only need 108 magic... and Amethyst needs 123. HH80 is somewhere around there as well. I have like 270 Magic at 78 rofl. Get your facts straight.

Um... I've talked about it with him before, whats to laugh about that? lol The main thing I was told from the high level mages was that going Pure at 90 was a good decision, which I might or might not do... but I dont care atm since 90 is a few months away.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    LOL GG if you still manage to have enough magic for the magic stuff your lvl, then you dont enough enough str or dex for decent light armor.

You obviously don't know how to build, ask Amour, Amour knows about being a REAL light armor mage, not a try hard one.
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    LOL GG if you still manage to have enough magic for the magic stuff your lvl, then you dont enough enough str or dex for decent light armor.

You obviously don't know how to build, ask Amour, Amour knows about being a REAL light armor mage, not a try hard one.

Way to avoid my point lol

Why do you keep assuming I didn't build correctly? Jesus lol. I have just enough STR and Dex for my gear, FYI. And eventually I'll need 95 or so STR for a new helm.

And yes "LOL GG" I have plenty of magic for the "stuff at my level" Cut the ignorance please.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Hahahaha right right, if you're gonna go LA go the full thing or don't bother.

Go back to your vit build, which really is bad also, and next time you talk to the people in my guild like Macros, maybe listen to them, because they're much better then you'll ever be.
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Hahahaha right right, if you're gonna go LA go the full thing or don't bother.

Go back to your vit build, which really is bad also, and next time you talk to the people in my guild like Macros, maybe listen to them, because they're much better then you'll ever be.

It's a shame you're not Macros, and thus, are bad.
    Ontopic; I didn't really know robes required so much magic to equip? can LA not equip robes their level usually? ;o
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xiphox - Lost City
    Xiphox - Lost City Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    They should most mages have enough to equip their wep which means they should be able to switch to robes if need be and if they dont they restatted wrong lol
    Xipox-7X MG-LC-#3 in pvp rankings-b:pleased 3198 hp unbuffedb:victory
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Why do you keep saying go the Full thing or don't bother. What is this full that you are talking about? Do you know the requirements? You easily can be LA and wear robes for mobs. Going LA does not mean 0 in magic like an archer

And who are you anyway? You come across quite ignorant, You will be fun to gank since i am sure it will infuriate you.
    b:bye
  • Xiphox - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    seifa is a cq mage who "knows all" we should take notes take notes from him
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    If you are going to be LA put as much dex as you can -.- you want as much crit as you can get if you aren't going to boost magic.

Simple as that.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I think its quite funny how people don't reply to over half my arguments for robe mage ^_^ and also that all the light armors are ganging up, but its okay, I'm a robe, I think I can handle the blows *chuckles to self*

When your guild owns half the map I will trust the high level mages there, until then I will trust Macros, who, unlike most of you, give actual advice :D
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    HAHAHAHAHA.

After all that **** talking about building mages properly Seifa shows he doesn't even have a CLUE about LA wizards. LOL.
  • Xiphox - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    let him fail lol
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I'd like to say that VonTerror, as a robe, has more pdef and more HP than I do as LA, 4 levels above him. I'm probably rolling pure at 8x as well, but for now LA is how to do it. Btw, don't knock what you don't know. I've been from LA to robe to LA, and below 80, LA dominates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Amour is correct to roll at 80, as undines need a lot of water defense. Amour is the only sane light armor mage on this forum ;p atleast Amour knows what theyre talking about. Unlike the rest of the mages who think that light armor seems to be the only way to go ;]

Light armor has its own advantages, to me robe has more, don't like it, then tell someone who cares. I like robe, always will, and im not rolling cos a couple of nubs think that light armor seems to be so amazing that robe can never compare.

Robe can compare ^_^ its why Oracle has robe mages, and why the 9x mages are robe users, and always were *chuckles*
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I don't see much of a difference from LA having a water robe set for grinding and their regular LA for pvp. Your points are invalid because magic does almost NOTHING for magic defense, and you can get nearly as much by just finding water robes. Me going robe at 8x isn't because of grinding fool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    You don't want enough magic to wear robes ;p The reason people go Light armor is because, they obviously don't like robes, you want as much on dex so you can actually brag about your crit :P

It's actually better to have a lot more dex, because unlike an archer you can't miss, so you'd hit crits a lot more, thats if you actually wanna be light armor