The Official Light Armor vs Pure Magic Discussion

Amour - Lost City
Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
Well, I thought I'd make a thread where people can discuss, debate, and defend their side as a Light Armor mage and as a Pure Magic mage. And hopefully people new to the wizard class can gain insight, and have a better sense of what build they would like to try.

As a level 7x mage, in a very focused KoS guild, I find LA to be invaluable to my day to day game play. I started off as a pure, on a different character, and once I hit 33 I gave it up to go LA. Why? Because trying to fight archers, blademasters, and barbarians SUCKS as a robe. Once Amour had gotten around 54, I started to doubt the power of LA mages. Jones' blessing had expired, and mobs were taking 2-3 more hits to kill, which was frustrating, so I decided to restat pure.

The damage I was doing was good... very awesome for PvE, almost what I did WITH Jones' as LA... but I'd go around trying to kill archers, BMs, and WBs, and I just kept dying and dying and dying. So at 64 I restatted back to LA and haven't looked back since.

I love my LA wizard, but at time I really miss having raw damage. It's annoying to see you can't spike a WB after you tick his hiero by a sutra + Divine/StoneRain/Sandstorm/Divine combo unless you crit. At the same time though, I don't get two shotted by everything. Although, a dead wizard does no damage, so LA is very useful for me, considering BMs/WBs like chase me around and bash me around like a pinata.

Ultimately, PvE is a little slower, but PvP is definitely better. And PvP is what I play this game for :>

Of course, this is just my experience, of my levels so far. I do intend on restatting back to pure at 90, simply because of the mass HP hh90 gear offers, and defense being replaced in the form of shards. This is of course only speculation.

So... let's hear your views; argue and discuss the ever so popular Pure vs LA issue. Let's put an end to the age old question, and give insight to not only new players, but to each other as well. Any level, any server, tell us why you think one build is better, and why.
"Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Amour - Lost City on

Comments

• Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I was gonna post this in another thread but since you made this topic it fits so much better.

I like to run around and brag about my defense.

By the way, I have 3% reduce physical damage from equipment so I guess I'm at 51% self buffed. I like how people tell me I probably have all pdef gems but unfortunately only 6 out of the 20(missing 3 in top) gems in my armor are pdef.

I like to ask light armor mages what their % reduction is in defense to make it feel like such a waste.

Oh and using an excuse as "I died to archers so I went light" is stupid. Archers have physical and magic attacks, it doesn't matter what you go they are meant to kill things just like a mage. As for warriors and barbs, you can ask 9x ones who chase me around all day with an XS. The only time they ever actually kill me is on a berserk crit, which will kill someone in light just the same. I don't even bother attacking most warriors and barbs who chase me, they're like little pets who can only stun me and just do little ticks to my hiero as I tick theirs for large numbers.
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Well obviously at 90 more options are available to choose from because the gear is substantially better. I agree 100% with what you're saying, but I don't think I'd fare too well as a pure at my level :3
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I have never tried Light mage though i spend every day debating on restatting as i am much more involved with the fighting thats going on now. Most of the time i have played i have been easy prey and i get ganked 10 times a day, 2 shots usually, a few more for low accuracy melee classes if i happen to have the right shield up. Mobs are joke, magical and physical and i rarely die. If i get in a tough spot i have usually kept my sparks, sutra, self heal, and distance shrink away. Otherwise they all die in 3 or 4 hits

Though i am looking for a guild that fits me, and i love TW so i would like to more, I have rarely been in a guild so far, not currently and i'd say maybe 3 weeks total of play time i have been part of them. This is only relevant because i love to kill, very rarely have a party to PvP with and a 1v1 fight is real tough being pure since i am mostly fighting archers, barbs and bm's. Though i am getting better at it i must say i probably lost 95% of those if i don't have a charm on myself and maybe 85% if i do and i get a crit. Therefore to satisfy my hunger, or if someone is just flat out annoying/crying, i have become a backstab killer

If someone sneaks up on me i am already dead and rarely bother even fighting back. After respawn I fly away, build up full sparks, hide and then follow. At some point that person will be fighting mobs, other players or not paying attention. If fighting mobs i fly innocently by and wait to see if they have a charm. If no charm i drop and they are dead. Doesn't matter on the class. I have different combos for each that rarely fail, don't need to crit. You can almost always get them unless more then a few levels higher. And if a robed class, BT and goodnight. If the guy/gal has a charm i usually try to wait till it ticks then go for it

If engaged with any other player i just lay it down on them. Unfortunately i can't use my AOEs at risk of killing the person i am attacking with (Advantage party and being in a guild) but still the person usually gets killed so i am satisfied if it says You have been killed by VonTerror nonetheless

I wish i could crit more, currently at 5% but can't have it all. My HP is bad since i am loaded with Phys stones but i have been pretty fortunate finding +hp and Phys modifiers in the same eq to make it bearable

I love my mage, i love how i play it. I have played all other classes extensively but Veno, and by far i enjoy this the most. People can call me coward or what not for not coming out and fighting one on one but i really don't care, this is how i adapted to the game. I don't think a most of the time solo pure mage was meant for going toe to toe with everyone. Like i say on here and in game, if i wanted to win a duel, i would be on a BM.

In conclusion - PvE go robe - Backstab PvP Robe(As long as you don't cry when it happens to you) - Group/Face to Face PvP go light. End game, i hear robe but someone else can comment on that
    b:bye
  • SilentToy - Lost City
    SilentToy - Lost City Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I love LA so far, Thanks for making me change build Amourb:pleased!

Currently im level 47 Wiz with 2400 Psys defence. I actually hit more than pure Wizards my level.
  • Xerela - Heavens Tear
    Xerela - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Pure lacks pdef. Its a fact. Anytime you choose to go pure wizard make up in your mind early that even with good pdef gears (nice *s, shards and +s) that your pdef is less (or potentially less) than any LA or HA build.

This is the major downside to rolling a pure built wizard. Also because of the low HP modifier it makes no sense putting points into con so that on top of having the lowest pdef you also have the lowest amount of HP.

So a pure wizard is low on survivability when compared to the LA build. At least in PvE you can use the combination of spell range and high damage to make life easy but in PvP once a class lock in on you, your chances become slim. Even if the damage is magic based it still not a boon because even though you have exceptional mdef your HP is still too low.

Pure lacks crits. You like gambling? Then LA is for you. Its like trying to rely on hailstorm to freeze except instead of a 33% chance its more like a ~5% chance (at higher levels). I simply can't support an argument based on a 5% chance especially at my level. I'll take the higher matk thank you. The crit factor is something LAs tlk about to make themself feel better about their lack of damage. You rolled LA because you don't wanna die from patk based damage and give yourself better HP not for a 5% chance more to crit. You may crit more often yeah but how much more? Is it reliable? If it is then that 5% modifier is bugged and theres supposed to be a 0 hiding somewhere behind it!

Pure is for PvE while LA is for PvP. Well blow me down but so far you would have guessed that I am pure and hooo boy I would love nothing more than to see a LA cross my path = dead. Yup you can definitely take more patk based hits than me but unless you have every HP modifier in the book on your gears I see you and your'e toast. So yeah, I see a gank or an archer and I turn heel and run but I really doubt your extra pdef is going to keep that same archer or gank (so long as they know what they are doing from killing you too). While an LA is busy deciding if they will stay for a hit or two I have developed the fine art of running hard! I don't feel embarassed about it. I'm a pure, its expected. But remember this, If you don't watch you back, I won't be relying on a 5% chance to toast you, I'll be roasting you on my pyro pike and inviting friends over for some bbq.

LA is by all acounts far more practical but in a thread like this I aint looking to sound all logical and so on. I am pure. Feel the pain.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm a pure mage, and I do wish that I had the same survivability as light armored mages.
    I haven't been worrying too much about my equipment, so stone shield only gives me around 1k physical defence. It is unfortunately low, but at least I have a few pieces of equipment which has +phys def.

I also have 3% physical reduction (1% from equine, 1% from armor, and 1% from pants of hades), so total I have around 28% physical reduction.

Its useless.

I still get two - three shot by archers my level, but I do enjoy my damage very much.
    So far, my sandstorm hits around 1600 on clerics, and 2000 - 2800 on heavy armor users. I've also hit 2440 on a level 89 archer, but I suspect he/she had low earth resist, that's all.

PvE wise though, I really enjoy the damage. Its great, fast leveling and less damage taken since fights aren't prolonged by low damage.
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm pure and managed to get 2470 pys def (stone shield) in my gear with only def shards in my hat and cape. Rest is hp shard. Its a lot better than 4 lvls ago when i had about 1k pys def with stone shield...... those lvls were seriously hell for me, geting ganked in 2 hits...

the only problem i have now is low hp. (which requires better gear by refining) So all in all if you have the money to get good gear go pure.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The post to end all posts:

The Wizard Armour Law*:

1-58: Hybrid/Pure Mage

- Due to the speed of levelling during these levels thanks to quests, and due to you likely not wanting(or being able to) PvP, a Vit Mage is perfect from 1-58 because you will die less, and level faster. Experienced players should go Pure Mage because they are skilled enough to operate with low HP.

59-78: Light Armour Mage/Pure Mage

During these levels, you will want to PvP due to the 2nd spark and level 59 skills. You will also want to zhen. Light Armour helps in both areas, as you will be able to survive hits with Light Armour in PvP, and you will be able to handle aggression in zhen due to your high power. A Pure Magic Mage can also handle these levels if you plan not to PvP, and don't mind a slower zhen/not zhenning.

79-89: Pure Magic Mage/Light Armour Mage

From these levels you will likely want to play in Undine/Fishing parties, or grind on other air mobs. Due to the levelling speed, and your amount of experience at this point, you can play Pure with ease. PvP will also be good as Pure due to your raw power, and potentially Undine Strike. If you can't afford Undine Strike, and want to PvP(at the expense of more hiero costs during Undines/Fish), then stay as a Light Armour Mage

90-109: Pure Magic Mage

Here you will finally obtain truly awesome gear: hh90 gear. You can socket your armour with defence+ stones, and still attain large amounts of hp. Your Celestial Skills and higher-refined weapon will make Pure even more powerful. You are set to PvP as a Pure, and will have the potential to outlevel the other classes(with the exception of a Penix Werefox).

110+(With 8th rank): Light Armour Mage

You have so much power that you can sacrifice some damage for more Critical Hits and defence. Congrats on getting 8th rank, by the way. Now, go forth and 1-shot some Archers with Gush.

/thread.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • Xerela - Heavens Tear
    Xerela - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    From all of my reading (11 pages worth) the majority consensus (though not polled) is in favor of the Light Armor build. For less matk, mdef and mana you get more pdef, evasion (this is seemingly an unimportant bonus) and a better (but not reliable) critical rate. Because you have decent pdef you eliminate the need to use pdef shards and can focus on HP instead.

Now this is where my dislike for charms comes in. Instead of the Light Armor build having to pay for having less mana you simply equip a charm and your mana issues dissapear. So the only issue a LA build has is a lower dps. On the other hand a Pure wizard has lower pdef. Coupled with low HP there is really no reason to run a pure wizard over a LA other than for the fun of it!

My personal opininon is that just for choosing to use all arcane gear and having a pure int build that you should get a nifty bonus like -10% channeling time.
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    mmm, i started off pure, but went la at such a low level i never experianced damage loss, there for, i will not go pure again.... ever... Im getting 7k crits 1/5 mobs, and when a mob does hit me, its laughable, i can toe to toe with barbs my level, and still beat anything but a cleric/veno in fair pvp, im perfectly content with this damage loss, because ive never seen it, so i will never miss it. Ive got no problems in pvp or pve. i might take an extra spell to kill, but ya know what... while your blowing your charm when you accidently agro more then 1 mob, im laughing that the silly beast when he hits me

so you all do what you want, and ill do what i want. thats how it should be for everyone.

both pure and LA have thier own pros and cons, there is not greater then or less then, its personal prefrence gg
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Seems to be general consencus that LA is better pre 90 ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ayano-chan - Sanctuary
    Ayano-chan - Sanctuary Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well what can I say......60+ i noticed like 95% of the mobs r magical mobs and I'll admit after going LA at 70 grinding has become a bit harder in more than 1 way.
    You actually have more chances of being killed when u aggro more mobs as LA than as pure since the magic rez from robes multiplied with the tonz of magic points u have will get a reasonably difference in mag rez.
    Now the point is on a pve server I have no ideea why recently alot of wiziez went LA when they never pk.You guys would be surprised to see so many bms,barbs,archers even clerics in pk mode on sanctuary ; as robe u take less dmg from magic,kill faster thus waste less of your charm thus PvE based,robe wins by alot and it'll win even by more in the future.
    Now for the pvp part......I'd say LA is better by miles away or mby that's just here cuz besides me there r just a few wiziez(about a total of 3 including me)who r in pk mode,and most pkers are,as I stated before,phy dmg dealers.
    Now the thing I'm worried as LA is not the -dmg but rather the -mag rez more in the future than now,since the difference is getting bigger and bigger between LA/robe ,fortunatelly we got a wonderfull skill called blade tempest wich can like take 70-90% hp off robes or 1 hit them wich makes us kill them faster even if they got more mag rez.Another awesome part I noticed is that when fighting bms,barbs I actually do more dmg to them since I don't have to kite that much and so I get to do more hits w/o the fear of getting killed,I can take my time and charge sparks while fighting or play with they'r charm,till I get 2 sparks for sutra and bingo...."nice fight but I gotta go,lemme' send ya to the after-life before I leave tho".

The most I fear now r pure magic wiziez and magic venos but as long as I have BT and I have almost same survavibility to magic as robe due to extra hp of LA I'll keep loving it.
    However....I don't know if this can keep up with the magic deff between LA/robe getting higher and higher just relying on some extra hp; and also magic dmg of weapons also getting higher and higher=more magic points,even bigger gap of dmg pure/LA as the lvls go by;I love LA and do hope it'll do well in the future ,but I'm still worried by the looks of equips in terms of magic defense :b:shocked

PS:Now I don't wanna be rude or anything but I'm a person who say's what's on his mind and I'll say to all wiziez in LA on sanctuary that don't pvp at all not even duels and are total carebear PVE freaks,this:ARE YOU GUYS R-TARDED OR WHAT?
  • Xiyao - Heavens Tear
    Xiyao - Heavens Tear Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    well i just wanta say for a LA mage ur stats should also allow you to wear robes ^^, so i usually carry 2 sets of armor with me LA and robe and i change my gear depends on what i'm fighting
  • Ayano-chan - Sanctuary
    Ayano-chan - Sanctuary Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Ah I knew some1 would eventually say this.
    Now look having 2 sets of armors can be quite expensive since you'll want to add gems and refine them as much as you think it's worth also your inventory has to suffer for that not to mention for ppl that didn't extend they'r inventory to the max will barelly be able to do it.
    And the worst thing is...in TW what will u wear? Are you planning to change LA/robe in the middle of battle were you have magical and physical users agains you?
    This "carry 2 sets of armors" that I always hear more than I can chew in-game is BS pvp-wise.The only good thing from this is for pve maybe so you take less dmg from magic mobs as robes but that's just simply not enough or it can be usefull again for ppl who like to just duel and pick they'r targets "ops wait for me to change into robe/LA" .....I wonder if some1 in pk or TW will wait for you to do that b:chuckle
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I think you kind of answered your own question, if you even had one. I would imagine that people who are light and carry around robed gear do not buy expensive robed stuff. You dont' need +3 with 3 Phys def shards to go fight some hydroblades.

I imagine when they are going to grind magical mobs they put it on, 1 and 2 star eq, maybe 3 if its cheap and accept the fact that if they get ganked, they are toast, but at least the mobs are not blowing them up and you are not losing exp, and probably saving some charm if you have one. When they are flying around doing wq, or tw, or looking for fights, etc they wear the real gear.

I didnt buy any safe extention, just did the banker quests for the extra room. I farm herbs and mats, and feel i defintely could spare 4 spots for extra eq. Hell during the xmas event i used like 8 spots for that ****, 4 is nothing
  • Manasurge - Sanctuary
    Manasurge - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    PS:Now I don't wanna be rude or anything but I'm a person who say's what's on his mind and I'll say to all wiziez in LA on sanctuary that don't pvp at all not even duels and are total carebear PVE freaks,this:ARE YOU GUYS R-TARDED OR WHAT?

LOL. Someone finally said it. b:pleased
  • Tres - Lost City
    Tres - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    LA is helpful in low lvls but by no means nessecary. Can ask anyone who played Robe Mages on Oracle. In fact most of the Mages on Oracle were robe with a few exceptions that went hell mage with light armor. Rest were all holy robe mages ^^. I was able to go 1-95 pk and pvp'ing all the way as a Robe MG.

And if you are going to go hell mage its probably best to stay light armor after 90 even just to fight the misconception that its only robes after 90 lol. Hell just fits a LA specced mage better. Holy on the other hand if you do it with a LA build you'll probably be squished mercilessly over and over =x. In the end though the difference in PDEF between a LA and Robe Mage will be <1k which amounts to a 1-2% diff in dmg reduction which amounts to nothing. A Robe mage can also hit 11+% crit depending on their gears (not to mention when you get the holy Cryonite dragon it adds 30% crit for 10 seconds after you use Cryonite Dragon which would give the mg 40%+ crit lol).
    Previous Character: Tres_Iqus 95 MG
    Current Character: Tres Cleric (See level above)
    Conqueror
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    The only problem I see with keeping a second set in inventory is (on lost city) I tend to pk/get pk'd a lot while i grind, and I go pink without dolls. chance for inventory items to drop... I don't think I could ever chance dropping my boots for instance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I suppose you would just have to keep them in the bank and just accept that you would get owned in a fight during those grind sessions when pink. Certainly not worth losing your main gear. I'd rather die and lose exp or just kill slower and make sure i don't die
  • Melodia - Lost City
    Melodia - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Remember Pandora and dddddfunLOL's test?

It was done wrong. With a weapon alone, there will be no difference mainly because of one thing they forgot to consider. Mag/Int is a modifier. It multiplies your damage as you get more and more.

Without any gear on at all I have 318-318 matk. 330 Int.
    With 3 mag (from robe armor), it adds 2 matk. (320)
    With ring alone (+65 matk), I have 598.
    With 3 mag and the ring, I have 602. It added 4 matk.

I tried many diff combinations with gears and the higher my matk was, the more my Int mattered and added more matk (3 int was adding 30~). So I think as you level up and get more matk and int, you'll only get stronger as a pure int mage.

As far as survivability. No matter what, your are dead to an archer. They have magical and physical attacks. And actually have higher levels, a hell pure robe mage has ALOT of options of decreasing dmg enough so they don't take much damage at all. -3% phys. damage reduction sword at 95 (lunar glade sword), -9% damage reduce phys. damage mystical tomes, Def shards, 90HH or whatever, etc. Those things are harder to get than just simply getting LA, but if you had this stuff, LA is a waste of stats.

As far as crit goes, Robe can have 7 crit without any sacrifice at all dex. Personally I have 5 and I crit often enough. A LA mage has about 4% more at 8x right? Doesn't sound much more reliable compared to maybe archers.
    Originally Posted by Pandora - Lost City:
    Please understand that as full int, all an archer has to do is target you and roll his face on the keyboard and you are dead.

Words of Wisdom.
  • Melodia - Lost City
    Melodia - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Now for the pvp part......I'd say LA is better by miles away......

Actually this is false.. People believe that LA or ROBE is better than the other when the tradeoff is actually quite even (though at higher levels, robe has more options for more defence and keeping their high matk). It's just that in PvP, Mages don't like dying fast before they can do anything. If you aren't fine with dying in 1~3 hits then LA is good for you to stand up and do **** dmg until you do.

The reason why Pandora is good at LA, is because he KNOWS what he's doing when he fights. It's true he runs alot, but why stay when no matter what armor you are in, in the end you are a mage? You'll die fast if you aren't careful. Just casting a spell that takes 2 seconds to channel ad 1 second to cast will be your end.

Elayne and Haiz and lushess (never saw lushess fight yet :( but I heard things) are excellent full int mages and just kill everyone in 1~3 shots without getting touched at all. But I'm sure like Pandora, if they are being chased, they will run away. It's a mage thing.

So in my opinions, Robe and LA is just pure playstyle preference and not really better than the other because it depends on who is good using that build too.
    Originally Posted by Pandora - Lost City:
    Please understand that as full int, all an archer has to do is target you and roll his face on the keyboard and you are dead.

Words of Wisdom.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    Seifa - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Here is how I see it. Neither beats each other, both are suited for different aspects of the game. If you want constant maximum damage always being pumped into this that and the other and are willing to get to a high level for the extra defence boosts and MANY advantages of a robe mage, then a robe mage is for you.

If you rather PVPing and then sometimes good damage from the crits and are willing to go that way and aren't really planning to get a high level or get anywhere then I guess whatever floats your boat.

Every sensible light armor mage I have met admits that arcane and light armor also have their advantages. Thing is you need to have a pretty good build planned if you're going lihgt armor. Such as boosts of the masteries at a lower level, otherwise your damage is doomed lol. Light armor can't just depend on the possible crit, they need to have back up damage to match it.

People say the defense boost for PVP is good, but a demon mage at lv90 with the earth barrier book gets some insane as phys defense. High level robe mages, such as Llama or Elayne from Lost City have some pretty insane constant damage, which REALLY helps those long cast AoEs. Because with blade tempest and such as light armor if you don't crit ,you still do some good damage but you really don't want to be depending on a possible crit for your damage.

robe mages are more suited to the PVE style and believe me its much easier to level off things that die before they get a chance to kill you. Leveling is semi hard before you get the good knockbacks such a pheonix and force of will. But it really isn't wise to be a low level light armor either, because you'll do really bad damage and nothing to back it up. Even your crit damage won't do much.

Point is, robe mages are what I prefer, they have quite a few advantages, and work well with sutra, because you have a constant fast high damage, which I like. I would go heavy before I go light armor, because I've seen heavy mages who own, and I've seen MANY light armor mages who didn't build well and do embarrasingly bad damage.

My advice, do what suits you. Neither is better then the other. You just have to see what you like to do best and do it. Ofcourse being a robe mage will have more advantages, thats what the mages were planned to be when they made the classes.

I have nothing against light armor mages, unless you have a bad build, then I'd just suggest trying another class or making a new mage.

In conclusion, light armor, you get low MP, and you need to buy mana hieros which you will burn insanely, and you MIGHT get a crit, and I'd MUCH rather constant damage then, I hope this long cast spell ends up cirtting!!!! Robe mages end up with INSANE damage and if you wait long enough INSANE phys def for the class aswell.

Anyway, if you want to PVP, a robe mage just needs to be far away, and use distance shrink along with good timing with force. Also, in the late 7x and 8x arcane is better, because you will get literally INSANE water defense for undines. I already have 10k water defense cleric buffed at lv73.

btw: 2245 phys res, most tanks do PvE build, a lot of vit, a lot of them fail. I've also survived high 7x BM attacks.

AND TO ALL WHO ARE SAYING ARGH NUUU ABOUT ARCHERS. Think of it this way when fighting an archer, if you force of will them, then sutra and cast as many spells as possible, if they arent con archer you've ticked their hiero and with a gush or normal pyrogram (mines REAL fast with my -channeling) he should be died.

Pure mage is all about timing when fighting before 9x.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    robe mages are more suited to the PVE style and believe me its much easier to level off things that die before they get a chance to kill you. Leveling is semi hard before you get the good knockbacks such a pheonix and force of will. But it really isn't wise to be a low level light armor either, because you'll do really bad damage and nothing to back it up. Even your crit damage won't do much.
    My damage is fine and I have no problems leveling.
    Point is, robe mages are what I prefer, they have quite a few advantages, and work well with sutra, because you have a constant fast high damage, which I like. I would go heavy before I go light armor, because I've seen heavy mages who own, and I've seen MANY light armor mages who didn't build well and do embarrasingly bad damage.
    I don't even want to know what kind of damage heavy armor would be doing, lol.
    In conclusion, light armor, you get low MP, and you need to buy mana hieros which you will burn insanely, and you MIGHT get a crit, and I'd MUCH rather constant damage then, I hope this long cast spell ends up cirtting!!!! Robe mages end up with INSANE damage and if you wait long enough INSANE phys def for the class aswell.
    ...a higher MP pool is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. Your spells cost the same amount of MP. Yes, you Hiero ticks more often, but it'll have less MP to refill. At level 61 while grinding I make over 1m for every gold mp hiero I buy. That's well over twice as much as the cost. And no, LA mages don't need or rely on crits at all.
    Anyway, if you want to PVP, a robe mage just needs to be far away, and use distance shrink along with good timing with force. Also, in the late 7x and 8x arcane is better, because you will get literally INSANE water defense for undines. I already have 10k water defense cleric buffed at lv73.
    LOL. I get over 6k with lv5 glacial barrier at 61. That 10k water def isn't really bragworthy when you consider how little the difference between 9 and 10k is.
    btw: 2245 phys res, most tanks do PvE build, a lot of vit, a lot of them fail. I've also survived high 7x BM attacks.
    Yawn, over 3.2k def with just earth barrier, no other buffs, at lv61.

Thank you for confirming LA is the way to go.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Here above is the perfect example of some nub who thinks his build is better then everyone elses, when he obviously didn't read I said theres nothing wrong with light armor. I have had many Light armor mages who went to robe tell me its much better damage.

ALL the high level mages in Conqueror are robe and do AMAZING damage. Then we have Pandora, leader of the PK GUILD NOTE THE PK GUILD who is light armor purely for PK. Light armor is if you dont wanna get anywhere.

Robe is if you know you're gonna hit 90 and own.

Light armor, PSH. The only light armor mage I have seen in Conqueror went pure FOR UNDINES, YES UNDINES.

Oh and 6k water defense? LMFAAAAAO!!!!!! You will get hit with, maybe around, 600 dmg by an undine, welldone, light armor is so good, whoops! No it isn't! It's completely useless for the REALLY GOOD high level grinding spots. Nice.

Yes, Light armor is the way to go! If you want to fail on the early metal mobs at lv60 at tusk town and then furhter in at latre 7x and 8x at undines.

HOORAH FOR LIGHT ARMOR FAILURES!
  • Seifa - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Also, archer is one of the most popular classes in the Lost City server, dealing both magical and physical.

SO IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE LIGHT ARMOR OR NOT. You will STILL get owned -.-

Light armor is a slight advancement on the ideas of, maybe if I get more phys def I will own more. SORRY THAT IS WRONG. In PvP the mage is meant to stand back while the blademaster stuns.

You don't go and PK alone, that's just stupid as a mage you are ASKING TO DIE. Blademasters will stun and kill you either way. Archers will stun and kill you either way. Venos send their pet in and the pheonix will bleed you to death either way. A cleric will sleep you and deal phys and magic to kill you either way. A werebeast will fury and own you, either way.

POINT IS, MAGES AREN'T MADE TO SOLO PVP, THEY ARE MADE TO SOLO PVE. THAT IS IT. If any nub tries to defy that you better have 50million coins for some KICKASS GEAR AND GEMS or you have failed before you've started :P

That is all.

Thank you :)
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    On a calmer note... If you plan on participating in TW as a mage, your build should be robe, and as pure as possible. If you're a LA mage planning to go TW, you should uninstall, because you're not needed there. Simple facts, it's the mage's raw power that a guild needs in TW, not them attempting to tank melees. Outside of TW it's a different story, but still, if you wanted to tank people and do average damage vs melee classes, you should have rolled a barbarian or something, maybe? Mages fight when there's someone to tank for them, or like the 9x mages, when they are capable of tanking it themselves, and they are rather capable of taking a beating, class-weaknesses taken into considerations of course...
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    On a calmer note... If you plan on participating in TW as a mage, your build should be robe, and as pure as possible. If you're a LA mage planning to go TW, you should uninstall, because you're not needed there. Simple facts, it's the mage's raw power that a guild needs in TW, not them attempting to tank melees. Outside of TW it's a different story, but still, if you wanted to tank people and do average damage vs melee classes, you should have rolled a barbarian or something, maybe? Mages fight when there's someone to tank for them, or like the 9x mages, when they are capable of tanking it themselves, and they are rather capable of taking a beating, class-weaknesses taken into considerations of course...

But if Pandora's tests were accurate, then I do think that a mage whether LA or Robe, would both still be equally as good in TW.
    Besides, it COULD be arguable. If you had a team set up on the offensive, if the mage's damage is slightly lower but doesn't get one shot by an enemy archer, then the CHANCES of the mage doing more damage over a long period of time increases, rather than having the mage dead half the time. :)

I'm a pure build though. I like it, cause i've always played the glass cannon roles in mmorpgs. Its kinda fun seeing big numbers =)
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    But if Pandora's tests were accurate, then I do think that a mage whether LA or Robe, would both still be equally as good in TW.
    Besides, it COULD be arguable. If you had a team set up on the offensive, if the mage's damage is slightly lower but doesn't get one shot by an enemy archer, then the CHANCES of the mage doing more damage over a long period of time increases, rather than having the mage dead half the time. :)

I'm a pure build though. I like it, cause i've always played the glass cannon roles in mmorpgs. Its kinda fun seeing big numbers =)

Eh... I don't really know how the tests were performed, or how many times they were tested, but if it's just one try, there's always a gap in damage from min to max. Lucky high shot for the LA and low end shot on the robe? There were probably several tests and it's just an average, I don't know. But, somehow, I seriously doubt the damage difference end-game is that small.

Also, with 90HH gear it's really rare for a mage to get one shot, unless it's some kind of awesome crit, but then probably not even LA would save you. About the offensive... if a mage blends in well, people barely have the chance to pick them out of the bunch, just because there are so many targets during TW. However, if you do get targeted, all you have to do is move away, there are low chances they'll chase you through your own guildies.

Just to put into perspective how much the damage is distributed in TW as opposed to PK... I've managed to be in the gates where the WR's are literally constantly AOEing, and still don't get targeted, or die to the aoe's, and I only have like, 2.5k HP or something? (Yes, my gear is horrible) So yeah, you dish out the damage your class is intended to deal, and if the attack goes well, and you don't throw yourself out as meat, you really shouldn't die too much (unless the opposing guild is a swarm of EA).
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If you ever watched Pandora in his little TW videos what does he do all the time? He's distance shrinking away from people attacking him. So please tell me, what is the point of going light armor when you're not even taking hits? I don't really wanna hear "So I don't get one shot" because light armor gets one shot plenty as well. If you're going to go light armor you might as well make good use of it, go run into the heat of battle and tank things.
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    If you're going to go light armor you might as well make good use of it, go run into the heat of battle and tank things.

Ummmmmm no