Newbie's Guide to Archer-ism!

Options

Comments

• tinytacohead
    tinytacohead Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Not disputing a Dex build at all, but if built as a glass cannon & going solo, what do you do when an attacker gets point blank where your ranged weapon is fairly weak? I made my first EA "all wrong", (I'm a hardcore armor tanker in EVE Online & went that direction out of habit), so started over, based specifically on this build. I'm now at lvl14 & kick a$$ until said monster gets in my face, then I have to use potions many times, unless I want to spend more time resting than grinding. Also, I am making my own armor, though still lvl1, as I don't find enough of the required items to lvl up crafting skills as fast as I'd like. (and I can't afford to buy them, either by cash shop or coin) For the record, I do use my skills to keep things out of my face/health etc up as much as possible, but yeah, most stuff my level+ will still get right in my face before they go down.. Of course I always make sure I'm using/wearing the best equipment possible. Suggestions - or is this just the way it is for solo EA's, until reaching higher levels?
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It changes after level 19.

Below level 19, you will have to kite a bit. Don't worry, the advice is solid.
  • tinytacohead
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It changes after level 19.

Below level 19, you will have to kite a bit. Don't worry, the advice is solid.

Cool, thanks - that's what I figured but thought I'd make sure. Dumb question, kiting is just running around/away from your target to get range, correct? Again, I'm accustomed to EVE, where I can set my ship to orbit an item at certain distances. If I'm faster than the enemy, (and don't die in the process, lol), I can keep one at an optimal damage range while I attack.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Basically. Just watch out which in the direction you are running, so you don't run into further trouble.
  • tinytacohead
    edited December 2009
    Options
    They should "fix" the leveling system then, heh. If you have the points available it should let you use them as you wish. Even if they capped how high a lvl you could get on skills in conjunction with your char lvl, that'd be fine. I was simply following quests given, which stuck me away from an archer and would have had me running forever or wasting coin on teleports, grrrr. (which they should also have some sort of message to inform you about, as I didn't notice it cost money for awhile)

/end rant
  • Delenda - Harshlands
    Delenda - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    What about Spark Burst is it worth getting?
    edited December 2009
    Options
    What about Spark Burst is it worth getting?

Yes. Get all of the Spark eruptions.
  • DrkLordZ - Sanctuary
    DrkLordZ - Sanctuary Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yes. Get all of the Spark eruptions.

Of course you should get all of them, they are almost basicly free
    Please donate money into my mailbox :)

I'm poor as heck.
  • BloodWulfe - Lost City
    BloodWulfe - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ok i'm frustrated, i have used search and this is the only decent thread i find for archer, so i'm gonna ask you! whats the difference, (benifits/fallbacks/skills) between demon, and sage!!!???!!! there are lots of threads for other classes but none for archer. please help!
  • punkatt
    punkatt Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've just made an archer and would like to say thanks for a clear and concise beginner's guide. I especially like the way u explain the skills needed.

Great work =)
  • ChidoriAkuma - Heavens Tear
    ChidoriAkuma - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i'm kinda new, but i managed to tank some higher lvl mobs with my archer (having a cleric of course) fighting 1on1, but if you use equips with slots and use citrine shards in it pluss the evade the winged blessing gives and the extra speed, almost all mobs hit are "miss" after the speed bonus is done is about halve (35-40% evade or a bit more), i havent had the need to increase my HP since the mobs real hit rate is below the "X%" it says, and i noticed too late about the stats, now in kicking my self cause at first did a distrib of 2 random and 3 dex b:cry , made the change like in lvl 8 to your recomends and im doing way better TYb:thanks

i wish i had entered the forums before i playedb:surrender
  • Sheeeba - Dreamweaver
    Sheeeba - Dreamweaver Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    not a bad guide. gotta disagree about take aim tho. personally, i always use it as my pve opener. my archer is lvl 35 atm, and take aim (maxed for his lvl) does about 2x what my normal attacks do. so my usual macro consists of take aim>normal>normal>normal>knockback>normal till dead. works pretty well on most stuff, and it's pretty reasonable as far as mana consumption goes. on inc. life or inc. def, usually do takeaim>frost>thunder>lightning>knockback>normal to kill

my lvl 8 (i think) take aim does more damage than my lvl 2 aim low. at lvl 35, it's still my hardest hitting skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

::venos kick tail::

Sheeeba: 8x Venomancer, Hate2Love
    ClericNico: 7x Cleric(Mainly Support), Hate2Love Executor
    _Poe_: 6x Barbarian, Einherjar

"You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    What skill makes it look like metal rain?I thought it was Thunderous Blast but it doesn't seem like it.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Barrage of Arrows
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You sure as I have seen lower lvl archer use it?He was in his 40s.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You sure as I have seen lower lvl archer use it?He was in his 40s.

Unless your definition of metal rain is different to what we picture.

Just based on those 2 words you provided; yes - the skill is Barrage of Arrows.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Does a yin-yang symbol show up below the archer?
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    When I saw them do this no it didn't.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Was it a ball of white stuff hovering over the head of the target, and white lightning shot down?
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yeah it looked something like that.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That's just Lightning Strike. You have a 4x archer, correct? You should have that skill.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This looked like rain though and that archer was in 40 gear.I thought it might or can be thunderouse blast.What happens when you level it up as I got it and doesn't look like rain?

It look like this at 1:32 into the video of the tw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrgSpFgBWHM&feature=fvsr

It is also here at :49 of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJPT7zk0kXI

here as well as :21 into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK9IatTvXJo&feature=related
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That's Barrage of Arrows.

I have no idea why the archer you saw was wearing low level gear.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    What does thunderouse blast look like when lvled up.I was hoping that would be TB.Thanks.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Unless there is a sage / demon effect, skills do not look different as they level.
  • SyTHoNiC - Harshlands
    SyTHoNiC - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    WoW nice very useful happy to find out iv been goin the ryt wayb:pleased wat luck b:victory
  • xxibatistaxx
    xxibatistaxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    fyirefly wrote: »
    I am one of those noobs who have just went thru the game trial by error. I am now a level 28 and am having a hard time killing mosters lower lvl than I am.....so I came to this forum and see that I have been misplacing my build pts the entire time. I was distributing them evenly the 1rst 20 lvls....then realizing I couldn't upgrade my weapons without dex and str....i have been focusing on them.

I only have quick shot and take aim.....how to I get the training for and where do I go to get blazing arrow.....frost arrow...and winged shell?

Should I reset my points and if I do....what are the reprecussions?

Thanks for your help.

Fyire

well i did equal stats to my wiz 2 but u get skills at trainer u can find one in archosaur and/or ur races home city once u get the skill clik R and drag the skills in2 ur skill bar and reset notes costs alot of gold in coins u first need 2 start ur gold acc at auctioneer i think and go2 boutique and buy the reset note hope this helps =)
  • Malaquey - Heavens Tear
    Malaquey - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Resets are very expensive and are only cheap if youve really messed up( i mean how can you really want to reset 250 points?)
    barrage of arrows is lots of white arrows going up from the caster and falling on the target
    Thunderous blast is a big ball of electricity that blows up on the target
    Also anyone who puts any vit or magic or their archer deserves to be killed like they surely will be
  • andenia2009
    andenia2009 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I really like this guide, nice packed skill list and all ... tho....
    U seem so certain that that dex4 str1 is the only way to go, sure yea why not, good evasion good damage. I think most peeps agree and no point arguing.. well..
    Q: What's little bit worse than high damage dealer dexxed up archer?
    A: A dead high damage dealer dexxed-up archer, which just got him/herself killed due to lack of hp, when got killed by a mage with 100% magic accuracy.

So ... maybe i'm just a nublet and wrong, anywayz i'll go 3-1-1 and shoot those enemies longer, I think my damage would go down a little bit if i'm dead in two shots...
  • e1usion
    e1usion Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    thank you alot this helped me loads cause i'm very new to the game let alone playing archers!