Lyndura's Blademaster Guide

Comments

• shakaboom
    shakaboom Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    hey , im a sword blademaster , now at 56

but at higher level i think i really need AoE to training and war

is it a good idea if i pick up some axe skill for AoE maybe Avalanche and some axe mastery.. thats enough

so my sword is still my primary

is my skill point sufficient?
  • bighitnay
    bighitnay Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Really helpful :)
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    shakaboom wrote: »

is it a good idea if i pick up some axe skill for AoE maybe Avalanche and some axe mastery.. thats enough

I've never understood the choice to combine Axe with sword. The stat points are too different to let you maximize the advantages of each. Sword and spear/pole, on the other hand, have essentially the same minimum stat points. Yes, the pole AOEs are less desirable because they are not 360 degree, but you do not have to keep up a requirement for 3 STR each level and 1.5 DEX. Even though BMs are the generalist of this game, do you really want to have only half a point per level to try and peak out something? By pursuing two paths (particularly as early as the late 50s) you are already sacrificing the ability to maximize skills since you won't even have the skill points to maximize one weapon path most of the time at that range. Too much trying to have everything never seems to be a good idea in an MMORPG. So, I'd consider pole as your other weapon family, but not until well past 60. That is what I plan to do.

I have an unrelated question about the AOE leveling advantage. Obviously, people who never did sword as their main weapon love the AOE. But, for those who switched, is it really that much faster? It seems like there is a bit of a calculation error in looking only at how many mobs you can take down. How fast are you doing that? How often do you get the optimal sized crowd conveniently located? Are you wasting time dragging mobs into a cluster typically? Basically, is there a speed component that is being left out of the equation? So far, I'm envious of the ability to do AOE when the chance presents itself, but I find that I'm going faster than axe types when the mobs are more spread out. If you have switched to an AOE style, I would love to know how much of a difference you measured in any practical terms.
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I've never understood the choice to combine Axe with sword. The stat points are too different to let you maximize the advantages of each. Sword and spear/pole, on the other hand, have essentially the same minimum stat points. Yes, the pole AOEs are less desirable because they are not 360 degree, but you do not have to keep up a requirement for 3 STR each level and 1.5 DEX. Even though BMs are the generalist of this game, do you really want to have only half a point per level to try and peak out something? By pursuing two paths (particularly as early as the late 50s) you are already sacrificing the ability to maximize skills since you won't even have the skill points to maximize one weapon path most of the time at that range. Too much trying to have everything never seems to be a good idea in an MMORPG. So, I'd consider pole as your other weapon family, but not until well past 60. That is what I plan to do.

I don't know, I consider axe to be a necessity for bm. I mean sure you won't be able to use axe as well as sword but axe is needed to perform stun lock, and why throw that away when it is considered to be bm's signature move. I agree that spear/sword is much more stat efficient but it wouldn't actually solve the sword's weakness, since swords and spears are similar attack wise.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't spears require more str than heavy armor?

Spears require as much STR as Heavy Armor.
    xingl wrote: »
    Just wondering.

I'm a swordy, and I've only invested to the few skills recommended, lvl 44

I was wondering at the higher levels what the combo skills would be?

Currently I'm using Spirit Chase/ Drakes Ray and then Aeolian blade.

While my friends Axe build uses a multitude of skills/AoE. I'm feeling left out xD

Well, combo for what? But more likely are those skills, plus your level 49 one, and as a finishing move your level 59 one.

Your skill points won't be enough for a while, but if you want to use Axe as secondary/main, you can change and get the Axe skills as high as you can.

Just remember that trying to have both paths will make you lack Spirit Points and money, so I suggest you to choose just one path.

Sword and Polearm is a bad combination, because Polearm by itself already has an stronger ranged attack, a push back skill that is not limited to one single target as Sword does, and Polearm is better at PvP than Sword while it can also AoE train.

It would be way better to just go with Polearm, since Sword would be a total waste of Spirit Points/Money.

Sword+Axe is slightly better but Polearm+Axe is the best combination for AoE and PvP, though, either of them alone is already good for everything: TW, PvP, PvE, etc.

I have an unrelated question about the AOE leveling advantage. Obviously, people who never did sword as their main weapon love the AOE. But, for those who switched, is it really that much faster? It seems like there is a bit of a calculation error in looking only at how many mobs you can take down. How fast are you doing that? How often do you get the optimal sized crowd conveniently located? Are you wasting time dragging mobs into a cluster typically? Basically, is there a speed component that is being left out of the equation? So far, I'm envious of the ability to do AOE when the chance presents itself, but I find that I'm going faster than axe types when the mobs are more spread out. If you have switched to an AOE style, I would love to know how much of a difference you measured in any practical terms.

Let's say it takes you 25 seconds to kill one mob. Considering criticals and stuff, you will kill an average of 2~3 mobs per minute.

Now, let's say it takes you 30 seconds to gather 18 mobs, and the same 25 seconds to kill them.

There's a huge difference between the mobs you can kill per hour by AoE'ing and one by one. And not only that, when you kill mobs in group, each one of them gives a higher amount of Spirit/Experience, that is usually the double.

So in the end, there is not really comparation between both styles, specially if you use Experience scroll.
  • wadethefade
    wadethefade Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Well, you will add only STR until level 19, then at level 20 and up you will add 3 STR, 1 DEX and 1 VIT every level.

Is this only for that guy or for every BM? I've been doing 3STR 1DEX 1VIT since level 1.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Is this only for that guy or for every BM? I've been doing 3STR 1DEX 1VIT since level 1.

Both builds are good.

You make your own build based on what you want to do using the left stat points that you have once you already added the minimum requirements.

As long as you do that, you won't mess up your build.
  • _Blackjack_ - Lost City
    _Blackjack_ - Lost City Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Nice guide, but I have a question. It seems like swords are the worst out of all of the 3 weapons, is this true and if so I think I may have to break some bad news to my level 34 blademaster friend, but at that level he can go to spears or axes pretty easy if he wants, right?
  • shakaboom
    shakaboom Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    about choosin axe as secondary weapon at sword path BM,
    in order to have AoE at least, in case we must do AoE in emergency or for training at some AoE spot, ..this case is not always

this mean, i will not pick all of Axe skill, just 1 or 2 skill and not level up the skill as high as sword..in order to make skill/spirit point more efficient

in my perception, if i just pick axe mastery at lv 3, drake bash 1 (for sure to unlock highland cleave), and highland cleave 1 or 2 lev for AoE.. thats enough. and i can combo this with our first basic AoE skill.. Drake Sweep

and one more thing.. axe base atk bigger than sword, thats why i think enough i dont have to maximize that axe skill, and i dont have to pick best axe for the current level..so my STR will be sufficient

so i still can use my sword..as my primary as my favorite weapon and for pvp too.. sword gear is cool

CMIIW
  • mecurial
    mecurial Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    about choosin axe as secondary weapon at sword path BM,
    in order to have AoE at least, in case we must do AoE in emergency or for training at some AoE spot, ..this case is not always

this mean, i will not pick all of Axe skill, just 1 or 2 skill and not level up the skill as high as sword..in order to make skill/spirit point more efficient

in my perception, if i just pick axe mastery at lv 3, drake bash 1 (for sure to unlock highland cleave), and highland cleave 1 or 2 lev for AoE.. thats enough. and i can combo this with our first basic AoE skill.. Drake Sweep

and one more thing.. axe base atk bigger than sword, thats why i think enough i dont have to maximize that axe skill, and i dont have to pick best axe for the current level..so my STR will be sufficient

so i still can use my sword..as my primary as my favorite weapon and for pvp too.. sword gear is cool

CMIIW

I don't think you might hv a enuf stats to wield both weapons (sword, axe) at higher lvl (around lvl 60 or 70) . or else ur wil suffer the low hp outcome.
    Just want to suggest you to choose for 1 type of weapon, hybrid won't get u anywhere and ur role wont b effiecient in both PvE and PvP.
    ~~~~la la la~~~~~~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    Wyeth - Heavens Tear Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I stopped reading your guide after the Fist explaination. This is an incredibly biased and misinformative BM guide.

I'm not even a fist BM, I'm sword, but this guide really made me puke...You are terrible at this and I'm assuming you are axes because you seem so biased towards them....

You are in your mid 70s you cant possibly know enough to make a good BM guide, and I know a level 80 fist BM who could easily put you on your **** in PK or duel......good luck in game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • g972
    g972 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I stopped reading your guide after the Fist explaination. This is an incredibly biased and misinformative BM guide.

I'm not even a fist BM, I'm sword, but this guide really made me puke...You are terrible at this and I'm assuming you are axes because you seem so biased towards them....

You are in your mid 70s you cant possibly know enough to make a good BM guide, and I know a level 80 fist BM who could easily put you on your **** in PK or duel......good luck in game.

lol you're not very bright, huh? He's a polearm BM, firstly. Secondly, how would you know whether this is even his first character? Making assumptions when there are so many versions of PW makes you look like a moron. Thirdly, you think gaining a couple levels gives some kind of new insight? And finally, if you could actually read you wouldn't have posted.

If you knew anything about PvP, which you probably don't, you'd know damage is mostly from skills. Fists = low damage + long cooldowns = low overall damage. 12s, 2x 15s, and a 30s. Those are the cooldowns on fist skills. Ultimate has no utility, neither do any of the other skills. No AoE, no stuns, etc. etc. Its been beaten to death. Fists = not good for PvP or PvE.

EDIT: also, amusing how you try to criticize this guide for being in the mid 70s then post a "BEST BM GUIDE" from someone who is level 48.
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Here we go again about fist BMs.
    Back.
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    g972 wrote: »
    lol you're not very bright, huh? He's a polearm BM, firstly. Secondly, how would you know whether this is even his first character? Making assumptions when there are so many versions of PW makes you look like a moron. Thirdly, you think gaining a couple levels gives some kind of new insight? And finally, if you could actually read you wouldn't have posted.

If you knew anything about PvP, which you probably don't, you'd know damage is mostly from skills. Fists = low damage + long cooldowns = low overall damage. 12s, 2x 15s, and a 30s. Those are the cooldowns on fist skills. Ultimate has no utility, neither do any of the other skills. No AoE, no stuns, etc. etc. Its been beaten to death. Fists = not good for PvP or PvE.

EDIT: also, amusing how you try to criticize this guide for being in the mid 70s then post a "BEST BM GUIDE" from someone who is level 48.

I LOL'd at this post. Who is this anyway? The OP defending himself anonymously? Lmao

You took the flame bait so well, bravo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009

Not really sure if you noticed by the way, the best BM guide OP was compiled from several different guides, as explained in the original post, which i cant seem to find on here anymore....so, its not just one person writing it. In fact I even corrected some things myself as I saw fit. So, your ignorance, amuses me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Hehe this whole first paragraph of your failed flame attempt doesnt even make sense LMAO what are you even talking about??

And who asked you anyway? Funny OP hides under anonymous name to flame people LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009

Wow lol i can't get enough of this post.

Of course I don't know ANYTHING about PvP, this is why I'm in a big PvP guild on my server OHHHHH and I also run around red named OHHHHH and I have a good kill ranking WOW I DIDNT KNOW I WAS SO GOOD AT PVP WHAT A SHOCKER. Hence I can post here about PvP. So you can kindly STFU lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • g972
    g972 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I LOL'd at this post. Who is this anyway? The OP defending himself anonymously? Lmao

You took the flame bait so well, bravo

One of the dumbest things I've ever read. Yeah, I'm Lyndora lol. But hey, you've already proved how **** you are by posting 10 times in a row, rofl.

EDIT: Oh yeah, gg dodging my points because I'm right and you have no way of defending your stupidity.
    EDIT2: lol actually read your posts now. No, its not multiple guides. Its obviously by the same person, and one that I've already seen on the forums. And by request, flaming over. Just going to post this again so anyone looking to go fist knows not to.

Fists = low damage + long cooldowns = low overall damage. 12s, 2x 15s, and a 30s. Those are the cooldowns on fist skills. Ultimate has no utility, neither do any of the other skills. No AoE, no stuns, etc. etc. Its been beaten to death. Fists = not good for PvP or PvE.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I don't need to create another account in order to defend myself.

This forum knows me, and knows the reasons of why I don't acknowledge Fist as a good weapon.

And also, this forum got to know you too: 4 post in a row (Edit button FTW?), constant flaming , braging about himself being good at PvP (In a PvE server and at level 63), and claiming to have the best BM guide.

Anyways, as I said, if you don't like my guide make a post with constructive criticism or make your own guide (which you already did).

So, stick to your guide and stop spamming my guide with useless posts.

P.S: I ask to g972 and any other member that wants to flame in this guide, to reserve yourselves from doing it. The purpose of this guide is to help new members, not to flame each other with posts that don't give any help to this topic.
  • mecurial
    mecurial Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Wow lol i can't get enough of this post.

Of course I don't know ANYTHING about PvP, this is why I'm in a big PvP guild on my server OHHHHH and I also run around red named OHHHHH and I have a good kill ranking WOW I DIDNT KNOW I WAS SO GOOD AT PVP WHAT A SHOCKER. Hence I can post here about PvP. So you can kindly STFU lol

o.O yet another pissed carebear here... red name playa with no balls...just come LC and ur get ur **** soaked up by 30ish lol

Just a suggestion for you...Why don't u make a poll with "good" or "bad" choices regarding with the fist..learn from that dude..

P.S lvl 63 bm has a gd kill ranking??? lmfao...i guess HT is failing
    ~~~~la la la~~~~~~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nespheratsu
    nespheratsu Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Lyndura you have an excellent guide but Aura of the golden bell you actually learn at 13 not 19. Im not criticizing or anything like that im just saying you made an error thats all.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Lyndura you have an excellent guide but Aura of the golden bell you actually learn at 13 not 19. Im not criticizing or anything like that im just saying you made an error thats all.

My bad, thanks ;)

Question: What would people like to see on the third post?
  • xgremx
    xgremx Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    well I think it would be nice to have some AOE Leveling Tips and some commonly used PVP combos for all of the paths
  • xingl
    xingl Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Could you list some areas of where to grind?

I'm lvl 48 atm, and trying Evolved Vipions.
  • Esteban801 - Sanctuary
    Esteban801 - Sanctuary Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    My bad, thanks ;)

Question: What would people like to see on the third post?

Grinding places plz :)
  • xingl
    xingl Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Just noticed, on the swords list, you've listed the lvl 39 and 49 skills both as Spirit Chaser.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Just noticed, on the swords list, you've listed the lvl 39 and 49 skills both as Spirit Chaser.

Oh~

Thanks, copy-paste mistake xD
    Could you list some areas of where to grind?

I'm lvl 48 atm, and trying Evolved Vipions.

What is your weapon?

Anyways, tomorrow I'll start working on what has been asked to be added to the third post.

Any other suggestions/requests/ideas?
  • Radiance - Lost City
    Radiance - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Hey just started this game a couple of days ago and i was wondering...for my belt + necklace do i want +phys resist or +elemental resist...thx
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Hey just started this game a couple of days ago and i was wondering...for my belt + necklace do i want +phys resist or +elemental resist...thx

Well, it really depends on what build you're using.

But I would say that for low levels (1~49) Physical Resistance is the best, since most mobs are physical.

Your dodge is not high enough yet to make a big difference, and accesories won't help that much, just past 50+, if you are focusing on dodge of course.

Element accesories are wanted past level 50~60+ because mobs start doing Magical Damage, so it's a good option to use, also because for physical mobs you will have a good level of Alter Marrow Physical to give you the extra defense you need.
  • Asiroth - Lost City
    Asiroth - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Lyn, can you make a video showcasing your Pole BM? Some PvP/PvE would be nice, havent seen a good pole video yet :)