test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's time to do away with "the Undodgeable"s.

Comments

• thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    The problem is between using the power and the target itself.
    I don't say, that gentle lie or put out false facts.
    The best comparison is to the dragon target bug.

Gentle would say there is no bug, because the dragons are flagged as targetable, but currently they sometime bug out and target locked powers can't target them while AoE/non target locked can still hit them. It isn't a friend/fiend issue either.
    So even the 'practical impossible' isn't the core problem. As I said: Even if you are in the guardstance for a several seconds, it root you. So nothing with activation/animation/reaction/latency time problem is causing it.
    So repaiting this isn't to annoy him, it's a call for digging through how such cases happen to solve it.

I agree with you. Cause GS first stated it as dodgable. And only after more digging he found that it is "'practical impossible". Cause you really can be in middle of dodge and get rooted at the end of animation. It does looks like latency and game logic bug for me. Same one as it was with gwf bash/roar earlier - you dodge away already but got "flighted" back to gwf cause he did encounter. And don't become thoose GWF back at the days that cried same as you all do know about "not enough skill to dodge" and so on.
    It was fixed in mod 4 by making dodge more responsive. But now IR are still like 1% dodgeble. Not reliable and does not depend on skill at all. I did dodge it too. But its like luck now rather then skill. So all what it has to be fixed is to make it reliable dodge rather then relly on how close you are on server and lucky today.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    Interesting note to everyone here about Icy Rays. Try it on preview and see if dodging it got easier. While making it respect CC Str and Res I might have made it more consistently dodgable, even with latency.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Interesting note to everyone here about Icy Rays. Try it on preview and see if dodging it got easier. While making it respect CC Str and Res I might have made it more consistently dodgable, even with latency.

While you're at bugfixing, could you PLEASE address the GF's Knight's challenge bugs? It cancels out, without applying the buff/debuff if i get cc'ed during it's activation time and goes straight into cooldown.
    (The same happens with: Fighter's recovery, Villain's menace, no CD here but we lose the entire AP.)

*Preferred solution, make KC and the other skills grant cc immunity upon casting, just like crescendo does.

Tyvm in advance.

edited October 2014

Thanks GS. Will try to test as soon as got time. Is there a way for all of encounters to respect CC Str and Res? Cause from history it seems that you are always fixing single cases and not core system defect imho.

Also problem with latency is that you need to test it at 4-9 time period when all servers are crazy busy. Not really an issue for preview since there is always way less people. But still worse testing.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Would you revert it to a harder to dodge state if it was the case? As it is on live a "stay here and take more" spell is kind of nice.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Would you revert it to a harder to dodge state if it was the case? As it is on live a "stay here and take more" spell is kind of nice.

Why would he revert a much needed fix? Doesn't make much sense.

• benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I didn't see anyone complaining about icy rays before and it is working just like it always has. I think the real problem is the massive amounts of damage that are being dealt on players in the 2 seconds after the target is immobilized. They are nerfing the control duration, lets just see how that goes before further crippling the skill.
    edited October 2014
    PB was *not* doing what was intended, and that fix will let us better make any fixes required to make Combat HRs more PVE viable in the future without majorly disrupting existing PVP balance. The nice thing about the Piercing Blade change is that it (in cases of well organized parties) will be a *buff* to PVE Rangers. This is because it was looking at the damage before resistance was getting involved, even if the target had negative resistance to you. Therefore you might actually see more damage output in PVE while it will behave correctly in PVP. This is important for tweaking the different playstyles to fit into both PVE and PVP parties.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!
    Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer

Crush can you please what do you meen by "This is because it was looking at the damage before resistance was getting involved, even if the target had negative resistance to you. Therefore you might actually see more damage output in PVE" ?
    Does this meens that if you have Resistance ignored > Damage resistance of target you will be getting extra damage bonus?
    Does this will apply just for PB or is general rule?

This is important stuff really. And if now apply negative resistance to you as damage bonus - it will be great boost for pve HRs and wont really effect PvP part. are you thinking to make it multiplicative or addictive? Thank you for reply.
    edited October 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone complaining about icy rays before and it is working just like it always has. I think the real problem is the massive amounts of damage that are being dealt on players in the 2 seconds after the target is immobilized. They are nerfing the control duration, lets just see how that goes before further crippling the skill.

That is true. problem from undogable IR is that it roots you and you are open for any attack. and when you are frozen, obviously after IR start, you are both shattered and can not dodge or deflect any damage. So 2 things for IR fix would be good. Respect CR and Control bonus would make it more gear dependable rather then plain works 100% no sweet. But making is reliable dodgeable will make it more skill dependable - both skill to place and skill to dodge -hope more skillful game-play we are hopping to achieve
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Undodgable is just small part of the PVP being so bad
    GF do more range damage then CW and HR
    HR survive more then GF, GWF and DC
    control and damage are completely out of proportion, some classes cant even move

PVP is completely broken now, its not just undodgables / overload enchants
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thedemien wrote: »
    That is true. problem from undogable IR is that it roots you and you are open for any attack. and when you are frozen, obviously after IR start, you are both shattered and can not dodge or deflect any damage. So 2 things for IR fix would be good. Respect CR and Control bonus would make it more gear dependable rather then plain works 100% no sweet. But making is reliable dodgeable will make it more skill dependable - both skill to place and skill to dodge -hope more skillful game-play we are hopping to achieve

Fine with me as long as every skill every other class has also fully respects a dodges immunity window.
    edited October 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    Fine with me as long as every skill every other class has also fully respects a dodges immunity window.

well this is what PB fix is about.
  • samothrace22samothrace22 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've dodged WoB before and SE ^^ quick fingers
    ────────────────────────────
    SAMOTHRACE
    Trickster Rogue
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've dodged WoB before and SE ^^ quick fingers

You are outright lying. What you did was so happen to move out of range of thier attacks when they activated via dodging, thus the attack not actually hitting you. Not actually dodging.
  • samothrace22samothrace22 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's why the red word "dodged" appeared I guess. WoB was an accidental dodge but I've purposefully dodged SE several times and have received no dmg
    SAMOTHRACE
    Trickster Rogue
  • korden1korden1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    well this is what PB fix is about.

I feel a thing is not clarified yet. HR survivability mostly relies on lifesteal. Lifesteal depends on damage. If HR damage depends all on the armor/reduction of his opponent, there is NO WAY to balance the class. Just because in that case HRs would not survive at any time against GWF or GF because of their great armor, while devastating mages and rogues who would not be able even to hurt him. PB is the only way to balance it, a damage that will land anyway, the perfect equilibrium.

And as I already told HR have to get in MELEE to activate it. I would be much more worried about mages terrifyng damage, who from beyond the line can send people to cemetery in two seconds (and further controlling them).

Furthermore, PB has been already tested for a long time and brought to its current value because DEVS appurated that IF LOWER, the HR was completely broken both for pvp and pve. This solution was reached after months of work and I don't think funny people claiming 12k of PB (that means 30k in one hit, actually impossible for HR) or saying "an HR just killed me!! Nerf it!!" without any information about gear, buffs from pots, buff from party, etc. will make this change.

This game never disappointed me and it wont begin now.

And by the way, I invite who thinks Wild Medicine can save you in a fight, to just walk in front of a decent geared mage with and without WM, and to tell me the difference.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Crush can you please what do you meen by "This is because it was looking at the damage before resistance was getting involved, even if the target had negative resistance to you. Therefore you might actually see more damage output in PVE" ?
    Does this meens that if you have Resistance ignored > Damage resistance of target you will be getting extra damage bonus?
    Does this will apply just for PB or is general rule?

This is important stuff really. And if now apply negative resistance to you as damage bonus - it will be great boost for pve HRs and wont really effect PvP part. are you thinking to make it multiplicative or addictive? Thank you for reply.
    Resistance Ignored will not take a target into negative DR. However, stacking debuffs like PF stacks, HV stacks, etc. WILL. But only in PvE.

So if you're in a party that stacks debuffs you will now get the benefit from this on PB whereas before you didn't, because PB ignored ALL resistances whether positive or negative.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Once thats done, itll fix ALOT ALOT ALOT ALOT of this game. Most of the players dealing too much damage are because of these STUPID OP GLYPHS!

SERIOUSLy!!!!!!

You reminded me of this:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

..which always raises a laugh, so thanks, I suppose.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Resistance Ignored will not take a target into negative DR. However, stacking debuffs like PF stacks, HV stacks, etc. WILL. But only in PvE.

So if you're in a party that stacks debuffs you will now get the benefit from this on PB whereas before you didn't, because PB ignored ALL resistances whether positive or negative.

Not sure if that'd still wield higher damage results than the way it procs 40% damage based on unmitigated values. IMO, unless it's a really debuff-heavy party, most people will definately feel a direct hit on damage levels, particularly with powers that used to yield shi*<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of damage, such as Fox's Shift.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    edited October 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Not sure if that'd still wield higher damage results than the way it procs 40% damage based on unmitigated values. IMO, unless it's a really debuff-heavy party, most people will definately feel a direct hit on damage levels, particularly with powers that used to yield shi*<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of damage, such as Fox's Shift.
    Most if not all PvE HRs will have capped ArP anyway, so PB was a flat 40% DPS buff on non-debuffed targets before this change and will be a flat 40% DPS buff on non-debuffed targets after this change. The difference is that on heavily debuffed targets you'll now get bonus damage. So for PvE it's DPS neutral at worst and a DPS buff in certain circumstances.

In PvP it's a drop in DPS against any target with more DR than the HR has RI. Period. No negative DR in PvP.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In PvP it's a drop in DPS against any target with more DR than the HR has RI. Period. No negative DR in PvP.

...which reminds me. What's the reasoning for this?

Heavy stacking of DR, pushing it into negative, would have been a very viable method of dealing with enemies with exceptionally strong defense, such as GWFs circa. mod2. It would also have justified a debuff-specialized builds, and team-play coming from it, such as a team of strong debuffer + glass cannon striker.

If the reason was to "guarantee strong-defense classes at least maintain 0 DR, and never fall into negative DR (=conceptually "extra damage"), then that's a very foolhardy thing to do, as for instance no such concessions are made anywhere else.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
    edited October 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    ...which reminds me. What's the reasoning for this?

Heavy stacking of DR, pushing it into negative, would have been a very viable method of dealing with enemies with exceptionally strong defense, such as GWFs circa. mod2. It would also have justified a debuff-specialized builds, and team-play coming from it, such as a team of strong debuffer + glass cannon striker.

If the reason was to "guarantee strong-defense classes at least maintain 0 DR, and never fall into negative DR (=conceptually "extra damage"), then that's a very foolhardy thing to do, as for instance no such concessions are made anywhere else.
    DR works differently for mobs and players. Mobs have no defence or deflect stats, just a composite DR percentage. So ArP straight ignores their DR and debuffs reduce the DR percentage. Because of stacking, you can subtract more percent DR than a mob possesses and so you end up with negative DR and bonus damage.

On players, ArP works the same way (ignores DR) but debuffs actually work like the tooltips say - they reduce the defence stat. As they are percentage based reductions against an actual number (rather than a percentage DR figure) they can never make defence go negative.

I don't think this was necessarily a concious design decision, more of a consequence of the different mechanics behind player and mob DR.
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    +1 this whole idea it would only benefit TR CW and DC but they are the ones who need it.
  • froszztfroszzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    adamy2004 wrote: »
    Wall of QQ

So GWF can pop unstoppable, GF can block and TR can pop ItC.

What about HR? When a CW comes at you from a distance and puts IR on the HR he has no choice but to stand still. And usually we get the heavy dmg as well.

People complain about HR having 5 dodges a lot. I bet my ballsack that none of these whiners have played as a HR.

HR "dodges" are not actual dodges. I would trade my 5 "dodges" for 2 CW teleports ANY DAY!

And since I am on the subject of CW teleports. You have 3, and with the BROKENLY OP feat "severe reaction" you can, depending on the scenario, have infinite stamina and teleports.

I played a CW for ten months as my only char. I know what I am talking about.

Severe reaction feat needs to be moved deeper into the paragon tree and also fixed (nerfed?) to not proc from DoT.

A combat HR or a TR for example, using a plague or flaming enchant, with the fast attacks + DoT from weap enchant a CW enemy WILL HAVE INFINITE DODGES. = Broken

And on the topic of piercing damage. They nerfed the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of HR encounters and survivability fir Mod 4, so HR needs the extra damage. Just removed the extra damage and keeping the rest of the crappy nerfs would be the end for PvP HR's.

Give my old lone wolf class feat back along with constrictive arrow please. There was zero reason to nerf those two.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    froszzt wrote: »
    A combat HR or a TR for example, using a plague or flaming enchant, with the fast attacks + DoT from weap enchant a CW enemy WILL HAVE INFINITE DODGES. = Broken

Give my old lone wolf class feat back along with constrictive arrow please. There was zero reason to nerf those two.

And yet, you STILL destroy CWs, with all their "broken" SR feat. What the hell man. And no, there aren't any "infinite dodges" unless vs 2-3 DoT users, in which case CW gonna die regardless.

As for Lone Wolf, fine by me. Constricting? No. Was the reason HR vs CW was an already decided fight, from the start. Sorry but it was gamebreaking.

But what do you know. Forest Ghost/Disruptive>>>Boar Charge>>>Rapid Strike spam while LS heals you back to full is enough to replace the lack of a better CC such as Constrictive.

You're a good HR. You know VERY WELL your class doesn't need additional crutches at this moment.

HR should by all means stay a very strong class. But please, no need to make it cheesy. It's already incredibly powerful.
  • revovlerjesus1revovlerjesus1 Member Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And yet, you STILL destroy CWs, with all their "broken" SR feat. What the hell man. And no, there aren't any "infinite dodges" unless vs 2-3 DoT users, in which case CW gonna die regardless.

As for Lone Wolf, fine by me. Constricting? No. Was the reason HR vs CW was an already decided fight, from the start. Sorry but it was gamebreaking.

But what do you know. Forest Ghost/Disruptive>>>Boar Charge>>>Rapid Strike spam while LS heals you back to full is enough to replace the lack of a better CC such as Constrictive.

You're a good HR. You know VERY WELL your class doesn't need additional crutches at this moment.

HR should by all means stay a very strong class. But please, no need to make it cheesy. It's already incredibly powerful.

Well its more of a race who has AP up really, u say= forest/boar/rapid (fox?) and yeah the cew might be dead.

But so will the HR be if = IR/entangle/ROF/IK dont u agree?
    edited October 2014
    Well its more of a race who has AP up really, u say= forest/boar/rapid (fox?) and yeah the cew might be dead.

But so will the HR be if = IR/entangle/ROF/IK dont u agree?

I do agree.

If the CW has daily up and first strike, and the HR doesn't have disruptive to break the combo when it gets rooted or some trick such as Oghma arti, CW has the upperhand.

What I don't agree with is frosszt's demands for Constrictive and his post making it seem as HRs are at a disadvantage vs CWs.

If you take a look at post from "top PvP CWs" in the forums (I don't wanna give names lol), you will see claims such as "Nobody can touch HR named X. Nobody" and so on.

I don't agree with those. If you die 100% to HRs as a CW, it's a L2P issue IMO.

It's just as you said, all about who has enough AP, artifacts off cooldown, if the CW can kite (node blue) or has to tank the node cause it's red and so on.

But overall, the situation is quite balanced between these 2 classes, and should remain so after PB fix.

I am not counting glyphs in this equation as that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> makes the fight about who has more DoTs and more HP. It's impossible to quantify class balance with glyphs as they are now.
    edited October 2014
    I do agree.

If the CW has daily up and first strike, and the HR doesn't have disruptive to break the combo when it gets rooted or some trick such as Oghma arti, CW has the upperhand.

What I don't agree with is frosszt's demands for Constrictive and his post making it seem as HRs are at a disadvantage vs CWs.

But overall, the situation is quite balanced between these 2 classes, and should remain so after PB fix.

I do agree with you like 98%. last 2 cents - i d really what to see promised fix for CWs Ice Rays from "nearly impossible to dodge" to possible to dodge. Not nerf or something like that but just respect latency and move it to dodgable state. So that if CW placed it right and HR lost his chance - it is HR fault. Yet still not like now you do need somebody near you to escape with fox or Oghma ready if CW even just started power. Or even worse situation when you are in middle of dodge but get rooted at the end of it - happens pretty regular. Pretty much what GS promised to fix.
    edited October 2014
    There aren't any moves constructed to respect latency as far as I know.

Being rubberbanded back in to Roars, FLS and Repels after a "successful" dodge is a good example of how what you see on the screen is not really what happens on the server computations.

The modifications for IR should be live already anyway. I didn't get to test them yet.
    edited October 2014
    There aren't any moves constructed to respect latency as far as I know.

Being rubberbanded back in to Roars, FLS and Repels after a "successful" dodge is a good example of how what you see on the screen is not really what happens on the server computations.

The modifications for IR should be live already anyway. I didn't get to test them yet.

It was about IR now finally respect Control resist and control bonus. Not about undoggable. Need testing anyway.