test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Changes

Comments

• jayrad8jayrad8 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014

My suggested reworks at this time -- I'm not looking for super OP buffs, just for my decisions between encounter, daily, passive, power, and feat selection to be made harder, while restoring viability to previous options.

Feats

Heroic
    Controlling Action: The multiplicative nature of this feat causes it to be a very weak choice. Suppose 60% of the ap generated in going from 0-100% is done by using powers on controlled targets, for 5 feat points I get a whopping 6% bonus on this. It makes it a no-brainer to take Toughness and Weapon Mastery.
    Rework to 5/10/15/20/25% or something along those lines to be competitive with the other feats at this tier.
    OR
    Rework to a flat additive 1/2/3% ap gain on powers used on controlled targets and make Weapon Mastery 1/2/3/4/5%.

Battlewise: Reduced threat, at least at the 6% max amount, is meaningless at end-game PvE and furthermore not applicable to PvP. Especially at the Heroic level, all feats should have a use in both facets of the game. Survivability is one thing many posters have advocated for, but yet no changes have been made. At end-game AC of 17 and a 25% benefit to DR, that translates to 4.25% DR.
    Rework to your benefit from AC is increased by an additive 6/12/18%.
    OR
    Rework to your Defense/Deflect/other defensive stat is increased by 2/4/6% of your Power/Recovery/other offensive stat.

Fight On: A max of 10%, yielding about 1sec reduced cd on encounters is weak for a 5 point investment. With or without this feat maxed, the changes are negligible and easily adjusted for by play style.
    Rework to 4/8/12/16/20% encounter cooldown reduction.
    OR
    Rework to while doing damage you have a chance to reduce the cooldown of your encounters by 1/2/3/4/5%.

Lightning Teleport: This will keep you topped off on stamina in PvE, which isn't necessary, and being limited to kills makes it a less competitive PvP bonus in comparison to the damage increasing feats in this tier.
    Rework to increase your stamina regeneration rate by 1/2/3/4/5%.
    OR
    Rework to while doing damage you have a chance to regenerate .5/1/1.5/2/2.5% of your max stamina.
    OR
    Rework to your teleport distance is increased by 1/2/3/4/5ft
    Oppressor
    Brisk Transport: Rework to run speed is increased by 2/4/6/8/10% for 1/2/3/4/5sec, or a longer duration in general.

Renegade
    With the updates to Thaum/Opp, this tree seems to fall behind since it is neither full control or full dps and the buffs generally affect the caster and not the group.
    Unrestrained Chaos: Pretty useless since Maelstrom of Chaos is not used in PvE or PvP.

Phantasmal Destruction: Rework to be a party-wide buff.

Energy Recovery: Rework to have the bonus apply to something other than or in addition to Chilling Cloud, maybe even something like a 10-20% chance on applying chill and only allow a certain number of stacks.

Chaos Magic: Rework to be a party-wide buff.

Powers
    Icy Terrain: Allow the radius of this power to increase at each rank as well.

Shard: 60% damage reduction to the explosion is too much. Critical explosion hits for 1-3k on other players is like a Storm Spell critical hit on live. As mentioned by others and myself before, please tone the damage reduction back or establish a method of curbing PvE damage while allowing this to remain a viable damaging encounter in PvP.

Maelstrom of Chaos: For a daily at the end of a paragon power path, this is incredibly under-powered. I don't know anyone using this in PvE or PvP and I would like to see it reworked since an entire feat in Rene is dedicated to it and it is supposed to be a defining aspect of the paragon.

Class Features

Eye of the Storm: 25 seconds feels like a little too long, possibly reduce to 15-20.
    Ezra@jayrad8 | M4 CW Class Advocate
    twitch.tv/ezracw | absolutegaming.guildportal.com
    #BringBackShard | M5 CW Bug List | My M3 PvP Gameplay
    PpkM0MK.png

• yalaiayalaia Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey Gentlemancrush,

did not find the time before to read and try to understand the changes carefully. But with the new patchnotes from 7-11-2014 the mess for CW's is getting even bigger. Of course wrong calculations must be fixed, but along with the nerfs announced before this needs some rethinking.

Hopefully my math is correct.

to make it easy:
    Damage = Base * Modificators (INT, Power, Weapon) * Feats

I will now only take the changed Feats into account as far as I see them:
    Base is set to 100, Modificators to 1, so we can talk about percentages.

E.g. shardplosion: Damage = 100 * 1 * (1,15*1,15 two times evocation) * (1,09 * 1,09 * 1,09 * 1,09 four times Wizards wrath) * (1,09 Focused wizardry) * (1,09 Blighting power as I normally use it after Conduit) * (1,15 Transcendent) * (1,15 Assailing from Conduit) * (0,8 assuming some 20% damage resistence from not working ARP)
    => 100 * 1 * 1,323 * 1,412 * 1,09 * 1,09 * 1,15 * 1,15 * 0,8 = 234,8

now new:
    Base reduced by 66%, Evocation only 1 time, Wizards wrath only 1 time, Focused down to 0% because now Single target, Blighting down to 6%, Transcendent now 25%, Assailing to 0% bonus from conduit, ARP full effect
    => 34 * 1 * 1,15 * 1,06 * 1 * 1,06 * 1,25 * 1 * 1 = 54,9

This is a reduction for shardplosion of -77% - for a capstone power and taking the ARP fix into account!!! Only the correction of the calculation for Wizards wrath and Evocation leads to an additional reduction on top of the already announced nerf of additional -35% to the most used thaum powers in PVE (Chilling cloud, Steal time, Sudden Storm, Shard)

Yalaia
  • anatoleh93anatoleh93 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just passing by , I would like to ask , could you please nerf CW more ? Reduce their damage on every spell and something else.Just nerf , too OP.
  • relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jayrad8 wrote: »

Renegade

With the updates to Thaum/Opp, this tree seems to fall behind since it is neither full control or full dps and the buffs generally affect the caster and not the group.

Unrestrained Chaos: Pretty useless since Maelstrom of Chaos is not used in PvE or PvP.

Phantasmal Destruction: Rework to be a party-wide buff.

Energy Recovery: Rework to have the bonus apply to something other than or in addition to Chilling Cloud, maybe even something like a 10-20% chance on applying chill and only allow a certain number of stacks.

Chaos Magic: Rework to be a party-wide buff.

I'd like to see that very much.
    jayrad8 wrote: »

Eye of the Storm: 25 seconds feels like a little too long, possibly reduce to 15-20.

ICD on that skill makes it completely useless in dungeons like CN. Doing test run, I had to change it to Evocation. I simply will not dodge and run around for 20 nor even for 15 seconds in hopes EotS will proc again. In mass mob dungeons you have to have your feat working ALL THE TIME. These are some of the reasons why most people will never take on feat with ICD:

1. ICD comes off... and you realise all your encounters are on cool down so you will waste EotS on at will.
    2. Others will wait with encounters until ICD goes away doing NOTHING to help team, because see point 1 may happen if they start casting too fast.

I could stomach 5 s. ICD MAX. Anything more and this feat is considered waste of precious time. And with these changes CWs life will depend on how much damage he or she can land in shortest time possible. Evocation will do far better then EotS because Evocation works all the time. And since CWs are using mostly AoE skills, Evocation + Spell Storm, Spell Storm + Orb of imposition, Orb of impo. + Evocation are more appealing then any mix with feat infected with ICD.

I really wouldn't mind having yet another feat crossed out. Luckily CW has several feats which are good (Storm Spell, Evocation, Orb of Impo. after they buff it). What saddens me is that EotS is the highest level tree feat. And Spellstorm mage has now every end game spell nerfed. ICD on EotS makes it unwanted feat. Maelstrom of Chaos is the worst daily considering all of them (I don't know how it made it so far down the tree). And Shard now will be doing meaningless damage. This is just not comprehensible, how Spellstorm mages, and Renegades at that (who has feat that buffs the most useless daily!) can be so dumbed down.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Master of Chaos
    Upon receiving critical damage, you reduce your attacker's Recovery by 30%. Your single target powers do 15% more damage.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ahsher wrote: »
    Master of Chaos
    Upon receiving critical damage, you reduce your attacker's Recovery by 30%. Your single target powers do 15% more damage.

And how exactly, does this please PVE people..?
    edited July 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    This sounds like a good idea. CWs should have a little more options for defense in some way, and this addition would come at an appropriate price.
    Shield could double the time arcane stacks last, increase both deflection severity and deflection 50%.
    edited July 2014
    Swap on Heroic Feats Learned Spellcaster and Lightning Teleport.
    Learned Spellcaster: 2/4/6%
    Lightning Teleport: 5/10/15%stamina and increases movement 5/10/15%
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    ahsher wrote: »
    Learned Spellcaster: 2/4/6%

I'd like to understand why we need 5 points to max this kind of feat, while the other classes need 3.
    crazymikee wrote: »

Currently in Live aswell as Preview this encounter is really lacking and is almost NEVER used if the person knows anything about this encounter. The damage that this shield can reduce/absorb is unnoticeable aswell as it being diminished in a few hits making it dead weight in an encounter slot. Something that would really give this encounter a boost would be added control resistance/immunity or a permanant damage reduction, but also reducing your damage aswell, so it wouldn't be too powerful but it would still give it a reason to be used, besides just a power point to level up. The control immunity or resistance from the shield would be correctly in place because most other classes now have ways of being control immune but CWs do not, so it would only make sense to give them a way to be control immune aswell. Some classes even have multiple ways of being control immune, so giving CWs control immunity on shield would make up for their nack for getting tossed every which way.

This is a great idea. I just think the control immunity should be added for the spell only in the tab.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just throwing out some suggestions to shield

- 3000 damage shield that always recharges. and takes 6-8 seconds to get to full hp.
    - give it 3 charges and increase its base reduction to 30%(at rank 3)
    - make it so the charged shield lasts 3 seconds after it gets hit before disappearing. recharges after the duration is complete regardless on taking damage,
    - give its activated ability (damage + pushback) when the charge shield is depleted. And recharge regardless on taking damage. Activating it will give you cc immunity and 50% damage resist for 3 seconds.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
    edited July 2014
    Combine the 4 boosts (arcane,cold,area effect,single target) to damage and put in single Heroic 2/4/6%

Move: Farspell into the Heroic Feat Tree
    Move: Severe Reaction into the Heroic Feat Tree
    Move: Reapers Touch into the Heroic Feat Tree

Add to Oppressor:
    Icy Terrain increased area of effect 2 4 6 8 10 foot radius

Add to Thaumurgist:
    Shield now increases deflection/deflection Severity 5/10/15/20/25% & and can be cast while moving

Add to Renegade:
    Frostbite: Targets Effected by chill have their movement decreased 2/4/6/8/10% per stack of chill[

Rework: Controlling Action - 2/4/6/8/10% ap gain when using powers on controlled target, gain 2/4/6/8/10% ap while controlled.

Unrestrained Chaos:
    Increase area of effect 2/4/6/8/10feet
  • davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Adding some alternatives to the Shield rethink:

1) Level based scaled increases to Defence, Deflection and Tenacity (so at level 60 at three ranks you have +200 defence, +200 deflection, +200 tenacity). Double this up if it's in the Tab slot
    2) Give the shield effect an AoE, so that nearby allies also gain a percentage of the defence
    3) Give it a hefty boost to Control Resist
    4) Make it castable whilst on the move
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we have been looking at how Shield functions and we think it is diminishing too fast and that makes slotting it feel too frustrating most of the time so we are imrpoving it dramatically. This should drastically improve wizard survivability while it is slotted which should provide a substantive PVP and PVE buff.

This change should hit this week barring anything going wrong.

Control Wizard: Shield: Shield will now diminish to 50% effectiveness while fully Destabilized at Rank 1. Each additional Rank will reduce the total amount of Destabilization your Shield can suffer. Grants 5% Control Resist per rank while slotted in spell mastery.

I will clarify this since I don't want the actual patch note to get too wordy (despite being a bit confusing).

At all ranks Shield while stable (undamaged) absorbs 50% of incoming damage after your damage resistance.
    It then is Destabilized, which reduces its effectiveness. So here are the before and afters!

Normal
    Before
    R1 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 0%
    R2 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 5%
    R3 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 10%

After
    R1 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 25%
    R2 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 30%
    R3 Stable: 50%, Unstable: 35%

Spell Mastery
    Before
    R1 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 42.5, Unstable 2: 5%
    R2 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 45, Unstable 2: 10%
    R3 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 47.5, Unstable 2: 15%

After
    R1 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 60%, Unstable 2: 40%
    R2 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 62.5%, Unstable 2: 45%
    R3 Stable: 80%, Unstable 1: 65%, Unstable 2: 50%

And Spell Mastery now also adds 5% Control Resistance per rank. This is additive with Tenacity. Because who doesn't like that?

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we have been looking at how Shield functions and we think it is diminishing too fast and that makes slotting it feel too frustrating most of the time so we are imrpoving it dramatically. This should drastically improve wizard survivability while it is slotted which should provide a substantive PVP and PVE buff.

Control Wizard: Shield: Shield will now diminish to 50% effectiveness while fully Destabilized at Rank 1. Each additional Rank will reduce the total amount of Destabilization your Shield can suffer. Grants 5% Control Resist per rank while slotted in spell mastery.

I will clarify this since I don't want the actual patch note to get too wordy (despite being a bit confusing).

At all ranks Shield while stable (undamaged) absorbs 50% of incoming damage after your damage resistance.
    It then is Destabilized, which reduces its effectiveness. So here are the before and afters!

Normal
    Before

After

Spell Mastery
    Before

After

And Spell Mastery now also adds 5% Control Resistance per rank. This is additive with Tenacity. Because who doesn't like that?

Good effort, but no way Its going to be used in PvP because then we have to give up control/damage and we don't have any of that to spare.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Spell Mastery
    Before

After

I won't say anything definitive until I test it, but this may make rank 3 Shield slotted in spell mastery absolutely mandatory for boss fights. As it is I can be an effective kiter/tanker in places like Frozen Heart. But reduce all incoming damage by at least 50% and I could probably face tank mobs as well as a GF, maybe better with all of the control we're getting from the Oppressor tree. But it comes as a price - we'll do a lot less damage with that set up. That might be worth it, though, from a group survival standpoint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It doesn't seem that the damage nerfs are enough to change the current meta and the high GS cw will still be king. As unpopular as it will be, the damage needs to be reduced more.
    Having ran multiple cn runs with the new oppressor the cw still dominates every aspect of pve.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    With this change to Shield, will it at least diminish as a result of DoT, as currently it does not?
    Barkshield Enchantment has the same problem, whereby charges are not lost if damage originated from DoT sources (i.e. plaguefire enchantment, fire damage)
    edited July 2014
    When people speak of reducing CW damage, it's important to take into consideration that we are not all 17k GS wielding perfect vorpal and high vizier
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have a question regarding Storm Spell - is it intended that this is apparently the only slottable Class Feature (across all classes) that is capable of dealing Critical Damage (i.e. affected by Critical Strike)?
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Normal
    Before

After

Spell Mastery
    Before

After

Probably one of the best encounter reworks, I'm definatly trying this out on preview to see how it fairs :D
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • myvain7myvain7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 77
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the rework of the shield. :)

Juste in case... It is possible to change his annoying sound "bouiing" ?
    Chaotic neutral - so i can do whatever the hell i want
  • sygfried94sygfried94 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    caexar wrote: »
    It doesn't seem that the damage nerfs are enough to change the current meta and the high GS cw will still be king. As unpopular as it will be, the damage needs to be reduced more.
    Having ran multiple cn runs with the new oppressor the cw still dominates every aspect of pve.

You should go back to school, sorry to says that, you are finding that an aoe class specialist should not be in front of total damage vs a single target damage specialist while you are doing a dongeon where an aoe specialist can practicaly always get the max target per spell. you are explaining that a class that launch a power and hit 6 target at once with 5k dammage should not till overcome (30k at all) a single target specialist who do 20k damage per shot.

If an aoe spell that shot numerous target still do less total damage than a single target shot what would be the point to use an aoe spell, just need to focus target one by one you wil ltake less risk and do more damage

Have you ever think once what happens when we have to fight only mob by one two or 3 max (that is the solo part game)
    We are doing practicaly half dammage than a single target specialist. on the actual statment in the previous server i need most of the time know 2 full roll of aoe spell to shot a mere 5 bar mob (8 spell ) and that even if he is alone and i'm not speaking of epic encounter mob but mere 5 bar mob for solo quest.

i recommand you to not simply focus on the kikimeter bar to judge the efficiency of a class. else well you would never need a healer in dongeon, else what the point of taking a GF. actual CW problem in dongeon were comming from two major point. 1 the debuf part. As debuf part from Cw were cumulating it was able to create a ridiculous hudge amount of dammage from a 5 thauma CW party (practicaly able to damage *5). the second is control part as there is too much mob. The kikimeter part were never a significantly proof of the efficenci of the group in dongeon. That the two first point and that why having only one wizard in a group was not a significant proof of succes but you were needed 2 or 3 ).

And on that 2 point job is done by the dev. (no more cumul from debuf of two wizard, no more debuf from conduct of ice from thauma way and for control part, GF get a buf on that part so they will be more able to replace an extra wizard as control)

gentlemancrusher,

good new for the shield spell, still need to test but here till some points.

for the control bonus here my point from shield (except if you are planing to upgrade by far the tenacity point) in tab point it should give 15% per rank in tenacity and 5% when not in tab (or at min 10 per rank in tab).. reason mostly simple for pve survivabilitydue to the nerfing part you have to upgrade control time of CW, this control time will goes in pvp too and because is not an immun you will have to face other class but also other CW. And as control time almost doubled for pve CW it will be the only way to not be permanent controled by an oppressor CW. Also tenacity max lvl is around 25%.

So if we compare today and after the update. a wizard trying to control an other wizard. In his whole spell he can turn around 6 second max of control if you have 25% (the max) in tenacity mean you are controled for 4.5 second.

In opposite when the actual state of change an oppressor wizard will be easely get 12 second of full control.mean 9 second with 25% tenacity if added with lvl 3 shield it still give 7 second of full control. As putting shield is reducing your fire power because you block one slot for defense you should get the 5% and by putting it in tab as you are blocking your best hope of damage it should give more tenacity for cc resist (with +15 per slot it give 70% max with a 25% bonus tenacity) and 70% give around 4 second of control, it permit to come to the same.

I also suggest the other class that also have no way to resist control (the healer to get something more or less in the same way)

By the way i think the approach for shield is a very good way to do so as the wizard have to put choice for pvp between survivability with shield and control/ damage without shield
    edited July 2014

Can you be more specific about when it starts to be "destabilized" and when in become to be stable again ?
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    myvain7 wrote: »
    Can you be more specific about when it starts to be "destabilized" ?

When you take damage your shield "destabilizes". That is the graphical effect you see changing. It takes 6 seconds of being undamaged to stabilize again. The spell mastery version can be destabilized twice and takes 6 seconds to regain each rank of stability.
    edited July 2014
    When you take damage your shield "destabilizes". That is the graphical effect you see changing. It takes 6 seconds of being undamaged to stabilize again. The spell mastery version can be destabilized twice and takes 6 seconds to regain each rank of stability.

This is regardless of the amount of damage taken ? (300 or 3000)
    edited July 2014
    myvain7 wrote: »
    This is regardless of the amount of damage taken ? (300 or 3000)

Correct.
    /10char
    edited July 2014
    Correct.
    /10char

But it does not diminish as a result of DoT effects such as weapon enchantments (on live at least)

It does however play the diminish sound each time the DoT effect hits it
    edited July 2014
    Correct.
    /10char

Thank you for the clarification. :)

(oh and the sound... please, it annoys everyone ! :p)
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Normal
    Before

After

Spell Mastery
    Before

After

And Spell Mastery now also adds 5% Control Resistance per rank. This is additive with Tenacity.

This is an amazing change.

Thank you for being so responsive.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Excellent news about Shield! Definitely worth testing out!

Please would you pull any data you can get to see what feats aren't rarely beings used, and consider reworking them? I imagine these are hardly used: Battlewise (intended to be PvE only?) and Arcane Presence (Calculator needed to figure out effect?) and Storm Fury (like a bacon sandwich with no bacon)
This discussion has been closed.