test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter maintenance - 05/09/13

Comments

• Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited May 2013
    terrell396 wrote: »
    hope u guys fix the lag spikes in pvp and instances

This emergency maintenance is intended to address many of these types of issues. Our intended goal during Open Beta is to improve stability and performance and we're making great strides towards it.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No matter when they bring the server down, it will be a bad time for someone. So, they do it when it's most convenient for them: Morning, generally in the middle part of the work week. Ascension Day isn't a holiday in the US (I've never heard of it, actually), neither is Victory Day for that matter. BETA aside (which just more more downtime for patches, updates than usual), Neverwinter will have regularly scheduled maintenance windows, usually weekly, and if Cryptic follows their other games, it will be on Thursday mornings, between 7-9AM Pacific Time to 10AM-Noon Pacific time (start time and length vary, but 7-10AM Pacific time is VERY typical).
  • Options
    kronykus420kronykus420 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed +100

maintenanceNecessary = true;

while (maintenanceNecessary) {
    takeServersDown = true;
    while (takeServersDown) {
    patchesWaiting = numberBugsReadyForPatch;
    for (i=0; i<patchesWaiting; i++) {
    applyPatch(i);
    }
    takeServersDown = false;
    }
    maintenanceNecessary = false;
    }
  • Options
    ktheriot01ktheriot01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just had to add, thanks for doing what needs to be done to further improve servers. I haven't had any bad experiences on my end, but clearing up problems for everyone just means more people to group with.
    To consider something as truth, we must also consider that the exact opposite is also truth.
  • Options
    blackbriar1001blackbriar1001 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tomasvet wrote: »
    I canceled my wowraid to play tonight!

On a serious note though can we ever expect patching or any other form of downtime to occur at other times of the day? Obviously it's rather inconvenient for European players as of now

The WoW raid? Cancelled?

attachment.php?attachmentid=4002&d=1368118932
  • Options
    caglenncaglenn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ktheriot01 wrote: »
    Just had to add, thanks for doing what needs to be done to further improve servers. I haven't had any bad experiences on my end, but clearing up problems for everyone just means more people to group with.

Hear hear!
  • Options
    jackdragon9jackdragon9 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pantero44 wrote: »
    CORRECTION, it's NOT a BETA, it's already been RELASED(or "soft release", which ever you prefer...lol). Even tho, that it is worded on the client, as a BETA, they haven't come around to changing it. Tho, they are still treating it like a BETA when it comes to fixes.
    No he is right. It is Open Beta. They (Perfect World) say it is Beta and most people would agree that the game is unfinished and still need some tuning. And no, just because the cash shop is open does not make it a release. I think we can agree that even the cash shop is unfinished.
  • Options
    ktheriot01ktheriot01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013

takeServersDown = true;
    applyPatch(i);
    }
    takeServersDown = false;
    }
    }

LMAO at this, guess my nerd is showing!
    To consider something as truth, we must also consider that the exact opposite is also truth.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pantero44 wrote: »
    CORRECTION, it's NOT a BETA, it's already been RELASED(or "soft release", which ever you prefer...lol). Even tho, that it is worded on the client, as a BETA, they haven't come around to changing it. Tho, they are still treating it like a BETA when it comes to fixes.

It is Beta. It's beta because Cryptic has chosen to label to current public version "Beta" Beta and accepting money have no correlation whatsoever (lots of Beta software accept donations for the developers -- it's the same thing in principle, except cryptic is giving you access to virtual items in exchange rather than the money being a donation, per se). Still, commercial status and the software version label of "Beta" do not relate to each other. Neverwinter is in BETA. hard stop.
  • Options
    icecoldleoicecoldleo Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the game has NPCs with voice acting for main quests but not side quests from the same NPC it should be labelled beta... That alone is good enough for me and most of the forum
  • Options
    solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Enough with the "open beta" marketing department BS. Unless you are giving me my money back when you launch, you are LIVE.

It's OK to admit it, it's been pretty smooth so far.
  • Options
    magoguitarristamagoguitarrista Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 105
    edited May 2013
    That doesn`t justified the histeria and the bad attitude of some people to the Staff..
  • Options
    kelton59kelton59 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just posting to find out what time the server thinks it is now....
  • Options
    solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And no, just because the cash shop is open does not make it a release. I think we can agree that even the cash shop is unfinished.

If they are taking money for a good or service, this thing is LIVE. You can keep telling yourself it isn't, but that doesn't negate the fact that people are paying for content and will not be refunded for what they have spent. RMT = LIVE.
  • Options
    mikita009mikita009 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

takeServersDown = true;
    applyPatch(i);
    }
    takeServersDown = false;
    }
    }

null reference my friend....no applyPatch() functions found

Waiting for the server to be fixed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    solyad1 wrote: »
    If they are taking money for a good or service, this thing is LIVE. You can keep telling yourself it isn't, but that doesn't negate the fact that people are paying for content and will not be refunded for what they have spent. RMT = LIVE.

and exactly how do you test such a system? obviously you've never done any development work...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mikita009 wrote: »
    null reference my friend....no applyPatch() functions found

Waiting for the server to be fixed.

sorry didn't realize i needed to write out every function for you to be able to fill in the blanks... :P
  • Options
    weoxolweoxol Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's really good to see this much work invested in maintenance and reworking, this game looks to be one of the best with the people behind it!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    and exactly how do you test such a system? obviously you've never done any development work...

You test it in the closed betas like they did with SWTOR and refund everyone's currency when the game goes live. THAT is how you test the system wise guy.

Any more questions smartass?
  • Options
    terrell396terrell396 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ty very much for you guys hard work the game is amazing
  • Options
    jackdragon9jackdragon9 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since when? Open beta means that the game is not complete and have issues that is being fixed but still open to public. RMT has nothing to do with the game being released or not.
  • Options
    mikita009mikita009 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sorry didn't realize i needed to write out every function for you to be able to fill in the blanks... :P

I'm just used to see this kind of errors and to point them out....**** i think i worked too much today:(
  • Options
    sychanthrissychanthris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just gotta say, again and again. this game will be the wow killer for me
    ShadowStryke
    Halfling Rogue
    Paragon of Neverwinter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    RMT has nothing to do with the game being released or not.

RMT means people pay for content. It means everything unless they are going to refund the money. Where does it say they are going to give me my money back?
  • Options
    torulv1torulv1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I support this game :o
  • Options
    skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    icecoldleo wrote: »
    I must admit there is only one reason for me to agree with those who are whining about the server being down and that is foundry...

If I could use the foundry even if the servers are down that would be fine so no real loss to me as that is what I was doing anyway when the servers went down...

LOL I would love to be able create in foundry while down but what I did start doing was create a word doc. with the questline and quests layout I am actually gonna look up photos of different things I want my chars. to look like etc. but it would be cool to actually be able to be in the tool while server is down no big deal though I can still build then just implement
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • Options
    jayleia1jayleia1 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok this is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. all server maintenance is during EU peak hours. why do you do this? this is bull****. not what i've signed up for!!!

Lets see, other games I play: Runes of Magic, offtime is usually during EU peak hours, and usually on Thursdays, City of Heroes (RIP), offtime was usually on Thursdays in EU peak, STO and CO, offtime...yep, EU peak hours and usually on Thursdays.

It gets worse, I work nights in the US, so EU peak is MY peak time as well, and I'm off on Thursdays...so on one of my two days off, I can't play much. Therefore, I conclude that: ALL MMOS EVERYWHERE HATE ME SPECIFICALLY! And at least for a while, I expect NW to do lots of maintenance.
  • Options
    tromhptromhp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ssso when will shards be upp??
  • Options
    thirst4newbloodthirst4newblood Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This isn't Neverwinters fault its Cryptic they shut down all their games for the 3 hours emergency patch just sucks its right after Neverwinters patch. This keeps happening they shut them all down for hours and don't really release any information just say its for maintenance umm you building the server? How much downtime do you need a week for maintenance? lol. Star trek online forums are even more interesting to watch than Neverwinters. Their announcement on their down time http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=662751 has 11,917 views and 376 posts so far lol. Mostly from upset European people that cant play yet again because of emergency maintenance and it comes up at 9pm/10pm to make it even more exciting their game isn't even in beta and keeps having downtime on top of the normal maintenance aswell with all Cryptic games. I hope they can fix this issue because its will effect the companys reputation. Neverwinter is new and yes its open beta (but has no problems taking your money) but if you have a game out that keeps crashing (company downtime or game only downtime) people will move on to another game/company. Free to play but how many people will wanna give you anything or even keep playing if your game keeps going down or has issues? Your trying to motive people to buy stuff. But who wants to pay for a game that they cant play? Now a days there are so many free to play games to compete with.
  • Options
    blackravenxinblackravenxin Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    You test it in the closed betas like they did with SWTOR and refund everyone's currency when the game goes live. THAT is how you test the system wise guy.

Any more questions smartass?

Open beta vs. Closed Beta

Closed beta is generally used with a limited number of folks via a key to test certain mechanics and systems.

Open Beta is generally the first step into Live play with the one simple fact anyone and every one can login and play. This period of time means no wipes and no refunds on things purchased without proof a game break or bug. This is also when full stress testing is done and adjustments are made to help make the game more stable under situations that are not able to be tested during a closed beta.

This is defined by each MMO company differently. This just happens to be how Cryptic/PWE do things. if you don't like it find another game company.
This discussion has been closed.