test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The complete Warlock thread. Suggestions, Bugs, Feedback, Considerations and more.

Comments

• cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All I can say is it's quite painful for a soulbinder damnation warlock to cope with the new module as well.
    I haven't had any sort of problems with the new maps until I got to 66 and I went to spinward rise, the last map.
    It is excruciatingly painful there, even in the first zone, where I'm still at even now. I leveled my DC, my CW and my paladin to 70 and everything was hard, but manageable.
    My SW, which was my most loved class, makes me only stay logged in for 30 minutes to an hour tops because the frustration is absolutely tormenting. I mean, if 2 axebeaks come after me at the same time and I cannot pop a daily, I'm dead, even with my battlefield medic healing me, while on my other characters I could tackle 4 birds at the same time.
    I'm still switching up powers around to find the best rotation, but it's a slow process.
  • iamtylerhakesiamtylerhakes Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cococya wrote: »
    All I can say is it's quite painful for a soulbinder damnation warlock to cope with the new module as well.
    I haven't had any sort of problems with the new maps until I got to 66 and I went to spinward rise, the last map.
    It is excruciatingly painful there, even in the first zone, where I'm still at even now. I leveled my DC, my CW and my paladin to 70 and everything was hard, but manageable.
    My SW, which was my most loved class, makes me only stay logged in for 30 minutes to an hour tops because the frustration is absolutely tormenting. I mean, if 2 axebeaks come after me at the same time and I cannot pop a daily, I'm dead, even with my battlefield medic healing me, while on my other characters I could tackle 4 birds at the same time.
    I'm still switching up powers around to find the best rotation, but it's a slow process.

Yeah, I was afraid of this, too. My guildmates all sort of laugh when I say that I am struggling with Drowned. "Wait until Spinward," they say.

At this point it seems like Spinward will be 100% impossible for me, even if I get to level 70, unless there is some great gear that I don't know about that will help me a lot.
  • fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    2sYrb0I.jpg

rp9K2GT.jpg
    If you have just 8% DR and just 5.8% LS, I'd hazard a guess that you'd been stacking the wrong stats on your gear. I see a lot of Power slices, I'd suggest you swap all of them for LS.
  • iamtylerhakesiamtylerhakes Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    fizbad wrote: »
    If you have just 8% DR and just 5.8% LS, I'd hazard a guess that you'd been stacking the wrong stats on your gear. I see a lot of Power slices, I'd suggest you swap all of them for LS.

That's fair. I have gone back and forth with this. After reading so much about LS being "nerfed", I basically quit focusing on it at all and instead tried to run up power/crit/armpen.

For me, this is really tough, because I have such limited resources that I have to carefully balance my stats.

Should I go for epic gear instead? Like Accursed Diabolist, which I saw everyone was running pre-Mod6? The stat boosts are _lower_ for those pieces, but I think that each piece boosts more stats? (less compromise) Open to thoughts/advice.

Thank you all for your input - very helpful!
    edited May 2015
    That's fair. I have gone back and forth with this. After reading so much about LS being "nerfed", I basically quit focusing on it at all and instead tried to run up power/crit/armpen.

For me, this is really tough, because I have such limited resources that I have to carefully balance my stats.

Should I go for epic gear instead? Like Accursed Diabolist, which I saw everyone was running pre-Mod6? The stat boosts are _lower_ for those pieces, but I think that each piece boosts more stats? (less compromise) Open to thoughts/advice.

Thank you all for your input - very helpful!
    I'm in the same boat, a mostly-free player that enjoys hanging around for some good hack-and-slash from time to time.

With respect to LS being nerfed, this actually means you need to prioritize LS over damage, rather than the other way around. Let me explain:

On average, LS now will give you exactly as much leech as before. The key here is understanding what "on average" implies.

For the sake of argument, imagine that you have 50% LS. Previously, this means that each 1k damage will bring in 500 life. You could pump damage and that would still directly pump your the life you steal. No muss, no fuss.

This has currently changed. When you add a random element to LS, two things are true: (1) frequent, small hits make the flow of life more stable, and (2) stacking LS% makes the flow of life more stable. For example, with your LS (5%), if you deliver one 10k blow, you'll end up with 0 LS 95% of the time. If you deliver 10 1k blows, you're much more likely to get some life back. In fact, the chance to get 0 life back in the latter case would be only ~60%, which I think is a substantial difference.

Therefore, for maximizing survivability I'd focus on spells that deliver multiple separate hits (even if that means somewhat lower DPS). I'm guessing stuff like BoVA and varios DoTs that can crit separately can also proc LS on every hit/tick. So perhaps Hellish Rebuke, Immolation Spirits, Dreadtheft/Creeping Death are skills you should be concentrating on? Someone who's better versed in class mechanics could help me out here.
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It isn't impossible to play with hellbringer, it's just harder. I'm giving you the option that will be easiest for you. I played SB and HB and I had to pay attention to my life bar and be careful (I died one or two times on my way to 70, but never as a soul binder). If I didn't have my angel of protection while I was Hellbringer I would have many many deaths, but as a soulbinder probably not at all.

Also, as a hellbinger your only source of self healing is really life steal. While soulbinder relies more on the constant stream of healing the sparks do.

That's why low geared players will have a much easier time playing the soulbinder than hellbringer, but it won't matter as much when both are well geared.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    have we been forgotten?

Im questioning whether I will come back at all =/
  • pycon929pycon929 Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2015
    animalust wrote: »
    have we been forgotten?

No. TRs and CWs haven't been buffed enough yet, so were still waiting for our turn.
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    animalust wrote: »
    have we been forgotten?

Im questioning whether I will come back at all =/

They are gonna fix the all-consuming curse bug next patch! haha wish that would come with some compensation tbh
  • pycon929pycon929 Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2015
    They are gonna fix the all-consuming curse bug next patch! haha wish that would come with some compensation tbh

Please tell me you're joking...
  • glartyglarty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hiya fellow SW's.

Here is my experiences with m6 SW.
    For PVE, IMO it goes like this, SB damnation is the only dungeon/party useful path to take now, that simple.

TT is useless most of the time.
    HB all paths under perform.
    Temptation is not useful in m6 at all.

Your puppet does really great dmg on bosses which makes you VERY useful in a party on bosses even when not very geared.

I have tried a few things and helped other new SW ppl and this is what works.
    So we do have a place, all be it 1 out of 6 choices.

Dev's if you do anything please leave us this option if you don't have time to do anything with the class as a whole atm.
    I can wait till m7 for a class wide fix even if i don't have other choices.

In summary, if the dev's do nothing(which i'm kinda hoping atm), SB Damnation is an awesome asset for parties in T1/2 dngs on bosses.

Looking forward, i would like the buttons that i press on my keyboard be the reason im an asset,not some passive thing i have no control over.

Remember this is just my opinion from my experiences in m6 and other SW i help who dont have the gear i do.

@denvald - thanx for all the hard work, it will pay off 1 day.
    edited May 2015
    I am going to review my main post and edit some aspects and add new sections today. I updated the HP contribution from constitution and feats as well

edited May 2015
    Added bug: Infernal Orbs never crit anymore, I think this one is new to mod 6 though.

edited May 2015
    Updated PvE Section today to be smoother and reworded to be simpler

edited May 2015
    denvald wrote: »
    5. Bugs Section
    5.4 Lesser Curse

Lesser curses interacts with powers properly as a curse. However it does not allow Curse related feats to proc. (Example: Creeping Death does not trigger on lesser cursed targets, even though it should and that's true for every curse related feat as well.)
    I'm not sure why it should. The capstone clearly states that it pertains to "targets affected by your Warlock's Curse" and not "cursed targets". These are two different things.

You could make a good argument that needs to (given how gimpy the DPS path is these days), and that perhaps some other feats/powers are bugged to trigger on any curse rather than Warlock's Curse (haven't tested recently, though, so not sure whether this is still the case). But CD is certainly WAI at this point.
  • glartyglarty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Suggestion for Temptation Path capstone -

Blah blah blah gives TEMPORARY HP blah blah blah that last until consumed (max 200% of SW HP)

This would make this path useful in m6 i think where its completely not now.

What you all think?
  • wyverneyewyverneye Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I like the damnation tree, but when relying on your soul puppet as your tank, it is incredibly important that the spirit stays in good health. If your spirit is at about 5-10% health outside of combat, he is actually a hindrance, as you can't heal him, he can't heal himself, and the moment you go into combat, he dies, leaving you without a puppet for 15 seconds, or until you can kill something. Which isn't easy when you're a squishy fighting higher level enemies while you don't have the gear required to survive it. And that is assuming that the "Soul puppet upon cursed target death" trigger actually works.

My suggestion would be to either make it so the lifesteal from Wrathful Souls affects the puppet as well, or give Soul Desecration the ability to heal an active soul puppet for a considerable amount.
  • highjusticarhighjusticar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2015
    Does the pet heal near a fire the way we do? I believe I saw mine healing.
    edited May 2015
    Good ideas, have potential for sure.

No i don't think the pet heals a the campfire.

edited May 2015
    Soul Puppets do heal at campfires, but you need to make sure they're actually in the circle.

Another thing wrong with the damnation tree: Mocking Spirit gives the soul puppet a lot of threat, and is supposed to help with making the puppet tank for you. However, as indicated in the opening post, puppets don't get enough health scaling and die obscenely quickly later on.

All the threat that the puppet has accumulated then is transferred to the warlock, meaning that all enemies will immediately and unwaveringly hunt down the warlock. Which is counterproductive.
  • martianmnhuntermartianmnhunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm trying to think whats the best way to change pally's 2sec daze weapon artifact power.

Before it had no cooldown, after a patch they brought it to 2sec, the problem us SW it takes atleast 1-2s to cast certain skills, and with server input lag you are bound to always get DAZED before casting anything.

Sure it doesn't affect any class besides us, how can we get the word to the devs?
    edited May 2015
    I'm trying to think whats the best way to change pally's 2sec daze weapon artifact power.

Before it had no cooldown, after a patch they brought it to 2sec, the problem us SW it takes atleast 1-2s to cast certain skills, and with server input lag you are bound to always get DAZED before casting anything.

Sure it doesn't affect any class besides us, how can we get the word to the devs?

We have already made that feedback to the devs, they are aware of it now. They know the casting times for warlocks are problematic, now it's just about seeing if they're going to do something about it or not.

And yes, it's very annoying.

edited May 2015
    I had a lot of fun with this class for quite a long time, but it feels like level 70, it just stops being viable. My damage output is laughable, I die in three hits, even my dailies can only barely dent the weakest enemy class, casting times are humonguous, self-healing is weak, and my soul puppet is entirely useless because it spends more time dying (Not dead, you know, taking five seconds to die after reaching 0 HP, blocking your soul puppet slot and making it impossible to create a new one)...

I'm making progress extremely, extremely slowly and I hope it'll fix itself soon, but I fear if this keeps this pace and murderous difficulty, I might quit.
    edited May 2015
    wyverneye wrote: »
    I had a lot of fun with this class for quite a long time, but it feels like level 70, it just stops being viable. My damage output is laughable, I die in three hits, even my dailies can only barely dent the weakest enemy class, casting times are humonguous, self-healing is weak, and my soul puppet is entirely useless because it spends more time dying (Not dead, you know, taking five seconds to die after reaching 0 HP, blocking your soul puppet slot and making it impossible to create a new one)...

I'm making progress extremely, extremely slowly and I hope it'll fix itself soon, but I fear if this keeps this pace and murderous difficulty, I might quit.

I know how you feel, although the devs have mentionned they were going to look at the warlock class we have had no word yet.

I still main my warlock, however I've personally taken a break from playing it for the time being I'm working up some alts and working on my account. There's no way I'm quitting neverwinter but I won't play my warlock alot until something is done about it.

I also updated the bug section to include the new bugs released last patches

• vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not sure if somebody raised this already but I think they should rework Creeping Death capstone for Fury tree so it no longer builds stacks for tier 5 Icewind Dale Avalanche boon. The way Creeping Death works now makes Avalanche very deadly weapon against warlock AND his/her ALLIES. Must be every SW that spent a bit of their time in PvP saw the scenario when they attacked some tanky target with that boon and once the CD's DoT became too intense, their allies would just suddenly...die?. Needless to say, the boon itself multiprocs because of such rapid DoT ticks, like bloodtheft/fireburst enchantment but even if they fix that, the boon would still be too unfair advantage over warlock without making it at-will like type of damage (at-wills don't build avalanche stacks).

On the side note, I think the class is doomed to be overboosted sooner or later. It lacks powers a lot and those we have now are either useless or lack utility comparing to all other classes. I just hope they don't overboost to an extent that every mother and her dog will have one SW.
    edited May 2015
    vasdamas wrote: »
    Not sure if somebody raised this already but I think they should rework Creeping Death capstone for Fury tree so it no longer builds stacks for tier 5 Icewind Dale Avalanche boon. The way Creeping Death works now makes Avalanche very deadly weapon against warlock AND his/her ALLIES. Must be every SW that spent a bit of their time in PvP saw the scenario when they attacked some tanky target with that boon and once the CD's DoT became too intense, their allies would just suddenly...die?. Needless to say, the boon itself multiprocs because of such rapid DoT ticks, like bloodtheft/fireburst enchantment but even if they fix that, the boon would still be too unfair advantage over warlock without making it at-will like type of damage (at-wills don't build avalanche stacks).

On the side note, I think the class is doomed to be overboosted sooner or later. It lacks powers a lot and those we have now are either useless or lack utility comparing to all other classes. I just hope they don't overboost to an extent that every mother and her dog will have one SW.

Thanks for pointing it out gunna add it to the bugs section later.

Also, yes, I hope they only give us balance and not an overpowering buff that'll get us nerfed the next mod.

edited May 2015
    We need the ability to dispel our puppets, in case they get stuck at 5% HP or just plain get stuck somewhere where they can't reach you. It's too easy to disable your entire feat tree if you use Damnation.
    edited May 2015
    Added section 2.7: Temptation

• dejjeman123dejjeman123 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    interesting
    edited May 2015
    interesting

:cool: hehe