test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The complete Warlock thread. Suggestions, Bugs, Feedback, Considerations and more.

Comments

• laiusslaiuss Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2015
    I've run few VT and LoL with fury, then damnation tree. For me it seems fury is still slightly better for dps (comparing final DD results with other team members, not act though). I wonder what others think - do you respec fury for damnation ? How is your dps after respec?
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm still level 65, I'll give some news to that when I get 70.

My calculations are that when they fix the damnation bugs it'll do more damage than fury, but now they're even.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    denvald wrote: »
    1. Leadership
    2. Jewelcrafting
    3. Artificing/Leatherworking/Alchemy

In this order

That might be a bit of a tall order, I would say Jewel + Leather to star with, and slowly lvling Leadership

You want to get an easier but useful profession to max level so that you can truly make use of leadership later on.

Leadership takes THE LONGEST to level.
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    laiuss wrote: »
    I've run few VT and LoL with fury, then damnation tree. For me it seems fury is still slightly better for dps (comparing final DD results with other team members, not act though). I wonder what others think - do you respec fury for damnation ? How is your dps after respec?

I respec'd from Soulbinder Damnation to Hellbinder Fury.
    The DPS increase is pretty visible, although I do miss the soul puppet.
    I only have about 8k power, 40% crit, and 62% resist ignored but it's still putting out some decent damage.

The problem: decent.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
    edited April 2015
    2 more days until the big patch...

Let's just say I have no expectations at this point lol

• candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    laiuss wrote: »

I did change from fury to damnation, and my dps got insane high, but i admit, for solo game it's better with fury, damnation is party only
  • gianchilogianchilo Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    candinho2 wrote: »
    I did change from fury to damnation, and my dps got insane high, but i admit, for solo game it's better with fury, damnation is party only

Can i ask you what talent you spent in damnation and what skill you use ?
    I try it but I didn't see an increment of my dps

I was thinking to spend my point in this way
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/sw?b=2skc:z8d19t:9mch:9fyxt,19ni02i:150u000:1z00z5v:1000000&h=0&p=slb

Using shadow walk and dust to dust
    Killing flames , warlock's bargain, dreadtheft
    Essence defiler
    Accoursed soul and tyrannical threat

Any suggestions? In this way I didn't see "great dps"
    Also as enchants I use p. Vorpal it's better plaguefire or terror?
  • curser87curser87 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    can someone explain why the hell the soul puppet makes different dmgs in different situation? I saw huge numbers in t2 and awfull in t1. We are talking about difference of 700 vs 100k at hit, can't understand why. then I have another big question, if i use ilyian (liv60) on adds it sucks but on bosses in t2 I always do great dmgs but normal ones, if I used it on t1 bosses it ticks thousands times. I even check it on act, I used ilyan for all vt and my dmgs ws awfull, with the set bonus dmg count 2% of my total dps, then we reached the boss, and in 2 try It passed from the 2% to the 70%. I've done 65kk dmgs in 2 try at the boss. But if I try the same tests on t2 bosses (even cc bugged) it seems to be the normal ilyan dmgs. Can someone help me to understand how the soul puppet works? does it makes dmgs proportionate with the mobs life? or there are some other reason why in t2 damnation it's amazing and in t1 it sucks. Btw I'm soulbinder 2.5k. Please help me to understand how that puppet works, I'm really heppy to be always first dps but I would like to understand why there are so many strange things
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i guess the mobs in T2 have far more HP than T1, so T1 low HP and you deal only all 45sec the bonus, they lose their HP much faster i gues...
    valindra has lots of HP as T2 bosses also 3 % from actual HP is huge
    about the puppet I read something similar, someone posted things like puppet making 665k hits, what was your setup?
    probably a bug in case of puppet interferes with paladins aura, like in case of Hunter?
    I wrote this in the other thread, but nobody seems to know about it....
    pala + hunter interferece is not fixed since patch 23., someone posted in bug section, right?

**** I recycled my iliabruen hands in mod5... :(
  • superfun666superfun666 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i know that in mod 5 in elol i got up to 2.8 mil hits confirmed with act on the 1st boss and some 1.5 mils on tiamat but i was a 20ker with 4 legs and the MC armor , i dont know about mod 6 tho caus i have taken a break caus the nerfs pissed me off so much
  • pricetagcloudpricetagcloud Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i guess the mobs in T2 have far more HP than T1, so T1 low HP and you deal only all 45sec the bonus, they lose their HP much faster i gues...
    about the puppet I read something similar, someone posted things like puppet making 665k hits, what was your setup?
    probably a bug in case of puppet interferes with paladins aura, like in case of Hunter?
    pala + hunter interferece is not fixed since patch 23., someone posted in bug section, right?

Hi, I respec'd from HB Fury to HB Damnation and the puppet is doing obscene amounts of damage. I only started this last night; ran two eCC runs and came up on top with about 20-30mil higher than the 2nd place, at 80mil (given, this is on charts). I also curbed my use of TT, so I use that in oh **** situations. In the beginning, the puppet does ~6k a swing which is pretty decent minus the fact he has no health. Near the middle to end of the dungeon his regular hits are 100k+ and his crits are 220-250k-ish. People might say this is OP, but given that the puppet dies so often, it really helps to make the tree viable. I'm not exactly bis, but I do have some nice gear. Currently at iL 2211.

To keep it in perspective, I was doing the same amount of damage as a furylock, so there really isn't a need for everyone to hate on the damnation tree ^^.

The interesting tidbit I think you'd like to hear is that we ran without a tank of any sort, but we did have a CW, TR, DC, me, and GWF.

Hope this helps!
    SW: Callisto Shedevil. Soul Binder Temptation 16.1k GS
    GUILD: ~Myrmidons~

Would Love to party up with people for pretty much anything!
    edited April 2015
    Hi, I respec'd from HB Fury to HB Damnation and the puppet is doing obscene amounts of damage. I only started this last night; ran two eCC runs and came up on top with about 20-30mil higher than the 2nd place, at 80mil (given, this is on charts). I also curbed my use of TT, so I use that in oh **** situations. In the beginning, the puppet does ~6k a swing which is pretty decent minus the fact he has no health. Near the middle to end of the dungeon his regular hits are 100k+ and his crits are 220-250k-ish. People might say this is OP, but given that the puppet dies so often, it really helps to make the tree viable. I'm not exactly bis, but I do have some nice gear. Currently at iL 2211.

To keep it in perspective, I was doing the same amount of damage as a furylock, so there really isn't a need for everyone to hate on the damnation tree ^^.

The interesting tidbit I think you'd like to hear is that we ran without a tank of any sort, but we did have a CW, TR, DC, me, and GWF.

Hope this helps!

That's probably an amplification bug actually, the damage from puppet shouldn't be reaching that high, it's not WAI

edited April 2015

the problem is not ilyanbruen on adds, there is not really helpfull if you have an high dps party, my question is about the soul puppet damage. Why does she hit for 700k in t2 and 100k in t1? what does it change? it's because of life? it can't be this for me, I usually run with 2 cw, dc and op, we do high dmgs in general and we destroy every pool so it's not a matter of time, it's just that the puppet change her hits in dungeons, without any reason! The question about ilyanbruen is what does it happens on t1 bosses, On act I noticed 187 hit of set bonus (only on boss), if it procs every 45 sec it means that in 2 try we spent 140 min for 2 try. But they were about 1 min the first and 3 min the second so it means that something made it proc lots of time. But why I haven't see it in t2 bosses? there are too many things I can't understand at the moment, I tried even temptation (it sucks) and fury and it wasn't like that, when I switched to damnation everything changed- I repeat, I'm happy about my dps, it's amazing, but I would like to know if we have bugs(and how many they are). Ad no, it's not similar to the hr+op bug, it's totally different
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    [...]In the beginning, the puppet does ~6k a swing which is pretty decent minus the fact he has no health. Near the middle to end of the dungeon his regular hits are 100k+ and his crits are 220-250k-ish.
    Do you have any clue what (feat / synergy / whatever) triggers this climb of damage? And crits? I thought our Puppet can't crit.
    I tested Damnation on preview myself yesterday and the damage started off with about 6k, just as yours, and went up to about 14k, and then back to 6k - repeating the cycle. I have the suspicion that it has something to do with the feat Burning Puppets. As soon as I took it, the damage cycle began. I guess this feat somehow resummons (not visibly, though) the Puppet for 100% more damage for some time, and then resets to 6k again because the empowered Puppet duration runs out. That explains the 6k - 14k, but not such absurd numbers like 100k. There has to be another "synergy" involved.

And like others, I also don't understand why such numbers are only reached in (T2) dungeons. Very strange, all of this...
    edited April 2015
    Do you have any clue what (feat / synergy / whatever) triggers this climb of damage? And crits? I thought our Puppet can't crit.
    I tested Damnation on preview myself yesterday and the damage started off with about 6k, just as yours, and went up to about 14k, and then back to 6k - repeating the cycle. I have the suspicion that it has something to do with the feat Burning Puppets. As soon as I took it, the damage cycle began. I guess this feat somehow resummons (not visibly, though) the Puppet for 100% more damage for some time, and then resets to 6k again because the empowered Puppet duration runs out. That explains the 6k - 14k, but not such absurd numbers like 100k. There has to be another "synergy" involved.

And like others, I also don't understand why such numbers are only reached in (T2) dungeons. Very strange, all of this...

My numbers ar far more higher than 100k, my max hit was 1.3M in cc, but I see often 700-800k...this always in t2, in t1 is 100k and if I'm in solo it's lower than 50k (always talking about the max hit). I ca understand the difference between solo and t1...but can't explain the t2, should we post something on the bug forum?
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I tested Damnation on preview myself yesterday and the damage started off with about 6k, just as yours, and went up to about 14k, and then back to 6k - repeating the cycle. I have the suspicion that it has something to do with the feat Burning Puppets.
    I gotta correct myself: This cycle has nothing to do with Burning Puppets. The reason is simply the fact that as Damnation every 15 seconds you automatically summon a Soul Puppet when dealing damage. Is a Puppet already there, it gets the damage bonus - up to 100% more damage when 5 times empowered.
  • jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I gotta correct myself: This cycle has nothing to do with Burning Puppets. The reason is simply the fact that as Damnation every 15 seconds you automatically summon a Soul Puppet when dealing damage. Is a Puppet already there, it gets the damage bonus - up to 100% more damage when 5 times empowered.

Plus every cursed target killed summons a soul puppet.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am pretty sure thes ammounts of damage can be called a bug
    if caused by interference off the puppet and the Ilianbruen Set in case the puppet deals damage according to the HP of the enemy?
    or its the paladin that causes the bug, like he does with Hunter class that can kill boss in eTOS in a few seconds, as I saw with my on eyes
    try going with a DC and report, or try using another armor, in case all goes to normal thats your explanation

otherwise there could be a bug with that damage buff that stacks , as you wrote, to incredible ammounts
    5k hit should be 30k (+500%)
    but if the basedamage taken is not 5 k but stacks 5k+5k-->10k-->20k-->40k-->80k-->160k... so fully buffed and critting, can´t say ?
    only thing I am sure is that it will get fixeed...next year since it does not make sense, enjoy your damage
    there are mayn things incorrect, I experienced that buff from buring soul does not disappear very often, can´z say if i get continously +9% damage but its buggy in so much ways atm
  • pricetagcloudpricetagcloud Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    curser87 wrote: »
    the problem is not ilyanbruen on adds, there is not really helpfull if you have an high dps party, my question is about the soul puppet damage. Why does she hit for 700k in t2 and 100k in t1? what does it change? it's because of life? it can't be this for me, I usually run with 2 cw, dc and op, we do high dmgs in general and we destroy every pool so it's not a matter of time, it's just that the puppet change her hits in dungeons, without any reason! The question about ilyanbruen is what does it happens on t1 bosses, On act I noticed 187 hit of set bonus (only on boss), if it procs every 45 sec it means that in 2 try we spent 140 min for 2 try. But they were about 1 min the first and 3 min the second so it means that something made it proc lots of time. But why I haven't see it in t2 bosses? there are too many things I can't understand at the moment, I tried even temptation (it sucks) and fury and it wasn't like that, when I switched to damnation everything changed- I repeat, I'm happy about my dps, it's amazing, but I would like to know if we have bugs(and how many they are). Ad no, it's not similar to the hr+op bug, it's totally different

I wonder if the arp has anything to do with it? I haven't dealt with the ilyanbruen set before (QQ's) but then it should be an inverse effect, i.e. doing less dmg to t2 mobs and more to t1 mobs, so maybe it does scale with HP pool.
    SW: Callisto Shedevil. Soul Binder Temptation 16.1k GS
    GUILD: ~Myrmidons~

Would Love to party up with people for pretty much anything!
    edited May 2015
    I might do a guide soon about temptation Soulbinder locks, the thought is still in progress but the thing is I work alot so I don't have much time to write it off and work on it :D

• arakk00arakk00 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wanna share this thread with everyone. Also, I got PM confirmation from Strumslinger that if the class is not already on the dev's radar, it will now be put there. Our new CM is a pretty cool guy!
    A <Friendly Dragon>!
  • phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I really love everything you have written here denvald, except for the difference between hellbringer and soulbinder. Why should the soulbinder be a healer? Warlock is a striker in both paragon paths, I hope that doesn't change!
    What I consider the main difference between those paragons is that hellbringers stack a lot of +damage %, while soulbinders get an enhanced form of life steal that not only heals, but also increases damage and powers spells. I don't see healing/support in it at all. In fact, everything except temptation should be selfish, single target dps. That's what a striker is supposed to be like. Curse sharing and healing would go against that.
    Also regarding vampiric embrace, I don't think a damage increase would be a good idea at all! It's a selfish support skill for the warlock, all it needs is more healing. If you would increase the healing of vampiric embrace from 75% of the damage to 150% of the damage, it would be a valuable power again. It would also help temptation warlocks.
    Damnation only needs it's bugs fixed and a health bonus on the soul puppet. The mocking puppet feat would be best for it imo. Give it in addition to threat increase a 20%/40%/60%/80%/100% health increase for the soul puppet and it would be great!
    Fury just needs a general 20% or so weapon damage increase across the board, then it's in a good place again. Warlock weapon damage really is on the low side for a striker.

What we need are small, focused changes, big overhauls tend to make everything complicated again and then you go into the buff-nerf-buff circle again that messes things up.

That's just my thoughts on it, sorry I didn't have the time to read up the entire thread, only everythingon first page.
    edited May 2015
    /snip

Thanks for supporting, and I like your idea of giving mocking spirit a HP buff to the puppet in addition to increased threat. although I think going from 25k to 50k isn't going to be enough for that matter, perhaps giving the puppet as much HP as the player would fix that

Anyways, as for the soulbinder/hellbringer changes I'm just really going wild with theories, something cool crossed my mind, I could see some applications of it but it would need alot of fine tuning, if it was even considered at all

• phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the reply denvald, I understand!
    And I really appreciate you compiling all this, especially the data on the bugs! Hope something comes of it! I really care about the warlock, it's my favourite class.
  • shiani1shiani1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    6. Conclusion

So that sums it up, it's a very big thread but there's alot to say about warlocks right now, because they're in pretty bad shape, this is why i took so much of my time (many hours) to dedicate to this massive thread that goes about every thing good and bad about warlocks and what changes can be made to return it to good shape.

Thanks for reading

Thanks so much for your thorough analysis! :) I really was glad to see what you said about life steal because I was just thinking today about writing something addressing these same issues. My SW was my main dungeon toon and now she's just doing dailies and waiting for positive change. She's just too unable to survive. I haven't changed builds yet in hopes that something like what you suggested will take place regarding life steal. Thanks again!
    Kianni Ravenmoon and Izyana Sol'Eetah

edited May 2015
    shiani1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your thorough analysis! :) I really was glad to see what you said about life steal because I was just thinking today about writing something addressing these same issues. My SW was my main dungeon toon and now she's just doing dailies and waiting for positive change. She's just too unable to survive. I haven't changed builds yet in hopes that something like what you suggested will take place regarding life steal. Thanks again!

Thanks I appreciate the feedback :)

I work alot these days I don't have much time to play myself, but I'm thinking about eventually making a SB temptation guide..

There's also some tid bits I need to update, I have completed the elemental set now I Can give more accurate information on HP contribution from constitution and feats.

• iamtylerhakesiamtylerhakes Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So apparently, I cannot start a new thread, so this seems as good as any to ask for some help?

First: I am fairly new to the game. I started just as/after Mod 6 was released. My first character, I rolled a SW.

I reached level 60 sometime last week and was excited for all of the new sections, only to find out that everything has been bumped to lvl 70 and I can't do any of the campaigns (other than TOD) as a solo player.

Okay, no big deal. EE, new areas, so I have been grinding these out. But, it's been seriously hell. I am still in Drowned Shore and just getting destroyed by mobs. Trying to do Sea Hag's Hold, and I get about 2-3 mob groups in until I die. I realize I can keep going and keep going, but it seems way too difficult. I shouldn't have to defeat 1 or 2 mobs per life.

So, I am at this point: I can barely make it around Drowned Shore, I am actively working on TOD, trying to get boons to boost my stats, but this just feels like I am in a terrible position and I am not sure if I am missing anything? Surely I shouldn't be stuck in this perpetual hell? I will hit 70 before I even get out of Drowned Shore at this rate.

My questions:

1. Is there any new gear or something I can get now to help? I'm pretty poor (~50k AD), but can work on more. I am wearing lvl 96 blues, which as best as I can tell, are better than any of the purples I can get from the AH. (I'm also really worried that I am never going to get any cool gear until I have already hit lvl 70 and pretty much run out of anything fun/cool to work toward.)

2. Do I just have to re-spec as a temptation lock? I've resisted so far, despite what I have read. But, if this is really the only option, then maybe I just have to do it?

3. Is a new companion the solution? Up until today I had used my Man At Arms this entire time. Today, I bought the low-level healer to try it out. Seemed to be a bit more effective in open spaces where I could run/dodge, but in close quarters, it's not as good and I get pummeled (especially by the **** Hunters). I do have a bit of money to spend if this will make a big difference, but I don't know how the different companions work to know what I should be getting.

4. Any other things I can be doing that will help me better prepare for the new areas and the campaigns?

Thanks for any help.

win946z.jpg

2sYrb0I.jpg

rp9K2GT.jpg
  • glartyglarty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @iamtylerhakes

SW is really having a bad time in this module so far.
    But there are ways to manage.
    Send a pm to me in game @glarty or send a mail to me.
    Happy to help make the game more fun.
    edited May 2015
    My questions:

1. Is there any new gear or something I can get now to help? I'm pretty poor (~50k AD), but can work on more. I am wearing lvl 96 blues, which as best as I can tell, are better than any of the purples I can get from the AH. (I'm also really worried that I am never going to get any cool gear until I have already hit lvl 70 and pretty much run out of anything fun/cool to work toward.)

2. Do I just have to re-spec as a temptation lock? I've resisted so far, despite what I have read. But, if this is really the only option, then maybe I just have to do it?

3. Is a new companion the solution? Up until today I had used my Man At Arms this entire time. Today, I bought the low-level healer to try it out. Seemed to be a bit more effective in open spaces where I could run/dodge, but in close quarters, it's not as good and I get pummeled (especially by the **** Hunters). I do have a bit of money to spend if this will make a big difference, but I don't know how the different companions work to know what I should be getting.

4. Any other things I can be doing that will help me better prepare for the new areas and the campaigns?

Thanks for any help.

1. Lv 61 + blues give a big increase in HP in comparison to lv 60 gear. Try to get lv 61+ blues in all your slots if you can. Since you're new, you should check the multiple 'leadership and how to make money' guides in the forums so you're not always stuck without cash. Otherwise you can always buy Zen for a quick boost of money

2. Temptation warlock is only good at really high level of gears, until you're very high gear stay damnation or fury, whatever you wanted to play.

3. It will help alot, new companion and lv 61+ blue gear will make a big difference for you. The one I like the most and have used the most since mod 6 is angel of protection. IMO this is the best cost effective companion you can get for how good it is (considering your goal is staying alive longer) If you get one of those it'll make your life alot easier

4. Soulbinder is much more low gear friendly. Because of the feat borrowed time which heals you every couple seconds for having soul sparks. With soulbinder paragon path it'll be alot easier for you to play trough the content with lower gear, it'll be longer than hellbringer but you shouldn't die as much

• iamtylerhakesiamtylerhakes Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    glarty wrote: »
    @iamtylerhakes

SW is really having a bad time in this module so far.
    But there are ways to manage.
    Send a pm to me in game @glarty or send a mail to me.
    Happy to help make the game more fun.

Thanks. I will reach out to you for some tips. Really not looking for any handouts or anything, just want to be able to play and have fun.
    1. Lv 61 + blues give a big increase in HP in comparison to lv 60 gear. Try to get lv 61+ blues in all your slots if you can. Since you're new, you should check the multiple 'leadership and how to make money' guides in the forums so you're not always stuck without cash. Otherwise you can always buy Zen for a quick boost of money

All of the blues you can see there are lvl 96 item level, with the big HP boost. My HP is still pretty low, I think. Not sure why?
    2. Temptation warlock is only good at really high level of gears, until you're very high gear stay damnation or fury, whatever you wanted to play.

I actually wrote the wrong thing, I meant should I re-spec a Soulbinder, so you kind of answered this below.
    3. It will help alot, new companion and lv 61+ blue gear will make a big difference for you. The one I like the most and have used the most since mod 6 is angel of protection. IMO this is the best cost effective companion you can get for how good it is (considering your goal is staying alive longer) If you get one of those it'll make your life alot easier

Okay, great. I will look into this.
    4. Soulbinder is much more low gear friendly. Because of the feat borrowed time which heals you every couple seconds for having soul sparks. With soulbinder paragon path it'll be alot easier for you to play trough the content with lower gear, it'll be longer than hellbringer but you shouldn't die as much

This is what I meant before. I can re-spec as a soulbinder, but it just seems kind of silly that there is no viable way to play hellbringer? Maybe I'll try the companion first and then if I am still in hell, I can consider re-spec.