test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spellstorm Renegade Guide: Death is the Best Crowd Control

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Still working on getting to 70 :)

Given that we played at 60 for almost 2 years, I'm taking my time to really savor and enjoy these added 10 levels.

But based on what I've seen so far, you want to take Uncertain Allegiance to fill out your Renegade tree, and then 15 points in Oppressor. Bitter Cold, Severe Reaction and Icy Veins will serve you well. Be able to add chill stacks as you cast encounters creates some amazing synergy with Chilling Presence.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But I'm not so sure the bonus from artefact to chilling presence is great. It's 3% at 6 stacks and 6% on frozen target. But it depend on what is the other choice.
  • Options
    scarlettenightscarlettenight Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Hi ironzerg79,

I just want to take the time and say thank you for you and those who have helped you for making this guide which has been incredibly useful to me and other people who follow CW, especially new players like me in the Xbox version.

Thanks
    Eyoxx@NuhsiK
  • Options
    tanatos1488tanatos1488 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Good afternoon all CW.

If you need any help for make this guide, i am ready.
    Call me if you need.

BRGDS
  • Options
    banqrupbanqrup Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am not going to lie... I am new to the MMORPG genre. I enjoy the CW a lot, but I do not seem to be putting out the damage that this post would suggest. Granted I am currently only level 33 and have a ways to go, as you suggest, to get max DPS/Crit/etc. Nonetheless, how would you recommend casting encounter skills? Specifically what order do you cast them in mobs for instance to get max damage? I want to be on top of the boards after running around with GWF/Rogues, but I am apparently doing something wrong... suggestions?
  • Options
    angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    banqrup wrote: »
    I am not going to lie... I am new to the MMORPG genre. I enjoy the CW a lot, but I do not seem to be putting out the damage that this post would suggest. Granted I am currently only level 33 and have a ways to go, as you suggest, to get max DPS/Crit/etc. Nonetheless, how would you recommend casting encounter skills? Specifically what order do you cast them in mobs for instance to get max damage? I want to be on top of the boards after running around with GWF/Rogues, but I am apparently doing something wrong... suggestions?
    CW is a bit of a late bloomer. It should feel a lot better when your feats and final abilities are decked out. You will be a glass cannon this mod no matter how you build also.
    I think most people are still fine tuning layouts for mod 6, but this is what I am going with for the moment.
    AOE: COI (tab), IT, ST, Sudden Storm
    ST: COI (tab), IT, ROE, Disintegrate
    Put shield in the mix if mobs are hitting too hard.

Also, spell twisting is completely sick. I'm running Rene with 15 Thaum. Trying to avoid 15 points in Opp. Will say IWD would probably be a good bit easer with 15 opp.

Also also, Thaum looks to be the hands down personal DPS tree now if you can stack all the dmg buffs, but Chaos Magic is still like some good ole hot apple pie for everyone.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    On a side note, did anyone notice the change to Fire Archon? (or at least I remember it being something like 5% at 30%) +7% damage on targets below 50% hit points (at purple level)
  • Options
    notoriousforknotoriousfork Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey Ironzerg, I just started playing on the Xbox one about 3 weeks ago, this build is amazing! The majority of the time I'm on top of the score board. I am almost level 50 now, and I wanted to make sure that the HV gear is still the best? Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you!
  • Options
    skyflakestmxskyflakestmx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hey Ironzerg, I just started playing on the Xbox one about 3 weeks ago, this build is amazing! The majority of the time I'm on top of the score board. I am almost level 50 now, and I wanted to make sure that the HV gear is still the best? Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Would like to know as well
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    On Xbox, the HV set is the way to go.
    On PC, things have changed with mod 6 and new gear are needed.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It is far and away the best set you can have.

Come Module 6 things will change. Enemy damage is pumped through the roof. So in order to survive you'll need a whole lot more HP which can only be found on Mod 6 gear. But enjoy the High Vizier ride while it lasts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dim3nsion420dim3nsion420 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    New to CW and Neverwinter. Thanks for putting together all of this information it is very helpful. Currently playing on Xbox. I've started to acquire the HV set is that the best to roll with in this Mod? Also, I am going to respec and try this build as clearly I wasn't sure what I was doing while leveling. Question is how can I re-roll my base stats or am I screwed? When I started the character I didn't realize you could roll on the base stats, so I dont think my INT is high enough.

Also how viable is this build in PvP?

Thanks for any info you can provide

** Disregard about the HV set. Just saw above post **
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    quick news to tell that nwcalc is up-to-date but all old link are broken.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm in the process of updating things for level 70. I'm leaving much of the level 60 stuff intact to help out our friends on the Xbox. It's still very relevant to them, so I don't want to blow it all up.

EDIT: Bear with me as I edit and shift parts of the guide around over the next day or so.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    madslanemadslane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of updating things for level 70. I'm leaving much of the level 60 stuff intact to help out our friends on the Xbox. It's still very relevant to them, so I don't want to blow it all up.

EDIT: Bear with me as I edit and shift parts of the guide around over the next day or so.

Thank you for leaving information for us on Xbox. Greatly appreciate!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Of course, I've gotten a lot of good feedback...I'm just counting on you guys to keep me up to date on anything in the guide that ISN'T on the Xbox One as I don't have one, so there's no way for me to even double check my work.

So as you guys follow the build, please let me know if any differences pop up.

I know right now things are a bit messy as I move stuff around and update for the PC version, but hopefully by the end of the weekend it will look like a real guide again.

And on that point, if the PC players notice anything is out of place or whacked up, let me know. I've been cutting and pasting across three windows all morning trying to get stuff together.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    chefuggerchefugger Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the update ironzerg!

Since you use singu again, one question:

Did you test stacking control bonus? It was my impression that using the will-o + cam. mage + contol strengh from tod did help quite a bit to suck in some bigger mobs (or at least move them a little bit more towards the center of the singu). Being able to have all "non control immune" mobs in an area where you can freeze and every player in the party is able to hit/ debuff them all at once is a decent damage and control buff and may reduce the time to clear considerably.

Not sure if it is woth using two active companion slots + crit sev. from tod, but would like to hear your/ anyones opinion on that.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I actually tried an Oppressor + Control build in some dungeons last weekend, with terrible results.

Even with bigger control bonus, an immune mobs is immune. You're not going to move them. And even non-control immune mobs weren't all be gathered up nicely like they use to be with singularity. So I'm going to stick to my guns on the spirit of the build.

However, if someone wants to put together an Oppressor/Control guide for a build they're having success with, that would be cool. The more builds the merrier.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I build an Oppressor on the preview server that had every control bonus possible. I still had major problems with Singularity. It wasn't just control immune mobs that I couldn't affect, control resistant mobs also stubbornly refused to be gathered or sucked up into the singularity. Basically, Singularity is only worthwhile on trash mobs with no control resistance no matter how much control strength you may have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sorry guys, work decided to actually make me work these last couple days. I'll put more up over the weekend, including an overall of the which powers I'm slotting.

Given the change in dungeons, there's some compelling reasons to switch out the tried and true AOE loadout. Overall, I think the power choices are going to be a lot more about preference than simply "this power is better".
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've been watching dungeon parses for the last week. Been thinking of going from AOE to ST setup, but can't bring myself to do it yet.
    I have to say seeing other peoples single targets hit harder than mine did tempt me, but COI & ST are still my biggest damage dealers due to StormSpell (by a long shot). I haven't seen any other CW out damage me yet in a dungeon or a boss fight - though there was one that got close. Ive been sitting at around 2.6k -2.7k gear rating until last night, but should hit around 3k today after my rings finish crafting.
    (Edit: my item level actually went down around 50 points by upgrading from 60 to 70 rings with the same enchants...sitting at 2.855k??? Perhaps arm pen counts more towards item level than recovery??)

VT & MC aren't that hard, and what other boss fight is there where you dont want to use AOE (excluding bugged CC - where IT on tab & COI still come out as king). I will say the TOS boss fight isn't bad with Single target layouts (only 3 trash spawns at a time), but taking IT/COI out of the rotation drops DPS considerably.

The trash mobs are more dangerous than the bosses to me (excluding 2nd boss fight in TOS - 5 bosses). Trash is capable of one shotting & spawn in groups. I have to say, I really would like to spec to single target damage for PVP fun.

FYI on a side note, Lostmauth set is still OP & DC daily spam is still in effect....despite patch notes.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    I build an Oppressor on the preview server that had every control bonus possible. I still had major problems with Singularity. It wasn't just control immune mobs that I couldn't affect, control resistant mobs also stubbornly refused to be gathered or sucked up into the singularity. Basically, Singularity is only worthwhile on trash mobs with no control resistance no matter how much control strength you may have.

I would say that the control spec CW has got to be MoF CW taking the Twisting Immolation feat and Icy Veins feat. With Twisting Immolation, even if the mobs are CC resistant to Furious Immolation, they are nonetheless dazed. And Icy Veins is just amazing. Icy Terrain + Conduit of Ice = everything frozen.
  • Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    I would say that the control spec CW has got to be MoF CW taking the Twisting Immolation feat and Icy Veins feat. With Twisting Immolation, even if the mobs are CC resistant to Furious Immolation, they are nonetheless dazed. And Icy Veins is just amazing. Icy Terrain + Conduit of Ice = everything frozen.

This intrigues me. Anyone else using this and liking it?
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This intrigues me. Anyone else using this and liking it?

I do. Right now I am MoF Thaum with Oppressor feats Bitter Cold, Twisting Immolation and Icy Veins, and in Thaum I have Spell Twisting. Without the Twisting Immolation, Icy Veins and Spell Twisting, I wouldn't be able to do the lvl 73 content solo. It has actually made me better as a CW because now I do have to focus more on timing encounters instead of just spamming them.
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hehe, I've said that nothing will change and that the dpsing will remain necessary (even more than before). All those notions of "essential teamwork" can be slowly turned to the sewers.
    Despite that, I've been doing some crazy control testing in the past week and today. Before someone decided that respecing feats is a big "F you player" for spending AD. At least it's in the lists of the known bugs.

Past week : Control = slim, super stupid, beyond ridiculous. I've went Renegade with 15 Thaum. Didn't notice much change. Left the game for a week. The biggest concern is how ineffective the green buff actually is combat-wise. It's great after combat, fills up entire HP, but during the combat, very low.

Today : Control = much better, 4 sec without investing in oppressor feats, went to etos, tiamat, vt. It was playable, but I'll need another 10k Power and another 3K arpen to make it a real smooth-walk.
    Oppressor friend said = kept mobs frozen for 7 sec. That made me happy. (bear in mind that I use 25% control str8 with dragon's grip boon + mage companion). When I tried to respec into 11 ability points to Oppressor (and add chills with each hit of Steal time), apparently there's a game-breaking bug.

Apparently, something was ninja-fixed regarding CC to my extreme pleasure. Now, people will freeze things with ease. Although, this wouldn't make sense without taking Chilling Presence on rank 4.

So, as a conclusion, as much as I hated the lack of control a week ago, I've found myself enjoying the current fix.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    parswindparswind Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for mod 6 updated guide,

like u said, we have at least two good options, icy veins for more control and spell twisting for more dps.

i have a little difference setup with your feats and wanted to ask others opinions.

how good is fight on? i put 1 point in it and 4 others to blighting power 3/3 and arcane enchantment 2/3.

also overall ,i think destructive wizardry is better than tempest magic specially because of 20 second up time with one cast.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I don't use Destructive Wizardry because Storm Pillar isn't on my bar. I keep Chilling Cloud as the go-to, and Icy Rays in case I need to strategically freeze something.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Personally, I use Storm Pillar combined with Ray of Frost, or MM if I am just trying to go full out DPS.
    I also use Destructive Wizardry instead of Tempest Magic.
    I also only put 1 point in Fight On since I use Spell Twisting. Prior to Spell Twisting, I was a big fan of Fight On.

That being said, Ironzerg's build is excellent. I have considered dropping Destructive Wizardry for Tempest Magic, since Tempest Magic is automatic & doesn't require a full charge of SP (which can seem like a long time when you are charging it).
  • Options
    hiryu123hiryu123 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What are your current companions for Mod 6 because I know in one of the forum posts you talked about the Acolyte of Kelemvor so have any of your others changed or did you just switch that in for one?
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nobody should get Shadowtouch and Elven Ferocity since their Internal CoolDown is beyond one minute.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language