test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alchemy Absurdity

charmagmacharmagma Member Posts: 144 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvE Discussion
So I'm glad alchemy can finally produce an actual wanted product, but I got it leveled to 25, started a unified elements, went to work, got back to check if it was about done, and it was nowhere. See, I thought it was a 12 hour task, as most stuff is, you know? in hours...because that is a reasonable time period for reasonable human beings! Turns out it is 12 days.

TWELVE DAYS!!!

How? What? How is this remotely useful? On the AH they go for about 80k which will surely drop as more become available. That is a profit of like 6k AD per day IF you have four aggregates which cost about 5-6k a piece, so ~60k AD per 12 days is about 5k AD per day profit. Okay, you can make the aggregates yourself...but that will only take you a full week for each one WHAT?

Honestly who thought of this? Even if you have four purple guys it'll take almost 5 days for one unified elements. These timers are absurd.

They have a random reward for quests, I think for this (at least I've seen aggregates). It is so much faster if you have all the elemental areas unlocked to go check the eight billion vigilance quests for one that gives a unified or aggregate and farm them than to do the actual profession to make them. This is absurd.
Post edited by charmagma on

Comments

• Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Supply and demand. As more people reach L70 more people will want the shirts/pants that require UEs and the demand for those capital goods will go up.
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That's what you get if you use ONE WHITE alchemist to do the task. Since you don't need purple tools for these tasks, you have the choice of spending some resources in higher tier workers to speed it up if you want.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jaotut wrote: »
    That's what you get if you use ONE WHITE alchemist to do the task. Since you don't need purple tools for these tasks, you have the choice of spending some resources in higher tier workers to speed it up if you want.

yeeeeeeaaah, because 6 days much more reasonable ......
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We had a brief chat with the systems designer about this when it cropped up on preview. Alchemy is not intended to be the primary way of generating them precisely because you can get them from quests, and I think also HEs and the new tiers of leadership boxes. It's an alternative source, and the long duration is intentional to put a limit on them being immediately abundant.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think everything about Mod 6 is extending the grind in absolutely every area of gameplay!

12 days is absolutely ridiculous!
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We had a brief chat with the systems designer about this when it cropped up on preview. Alchemy is not intended to be the primary way of generating them precisely because you can get them from quests, and I think also HEs and the new tiers of leadership boxes. It's an alternative source, and the long duration is intentional to put a limit on them being immediately abundant.

This would be acceptable if leadership didn't take a solid month with 9 slots to go from 20-21.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    umcjdking wrote: »
    This would be acceptable if leadership didn't take a solid month with 9 slots to go from 20-21.

Mine's about a third of the way there already and that's without focussing training tasks 100%. If you're still trying to Collect Taxes all the time, yup, it's gonna be slow.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have never been able to do Alchemy.

Where do you get "Basic knowledge"?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Randomly rewarded from experiments.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Randomly rewarded from experiments.

Thanks!!!!!
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015

God forbid they make a profession useful. The only ones that have been useful for a while now are BI and leadership. The weapon ones maybe a little but artifact weapons took that away.

Alchemy takes way to long for way to minor of a result to be useful. If its intended to be an alternative...they still missed the boat.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    This sort of complaining comes from people who are not used to earning AD from professions. Proffessions AD are like a business. You invest a lot up frontto get a steady return that eventually provides a ROI after which you sustain a regular income. If you could shoot up to Alchemy 25 in a few days (you can) and start shooting out a unified every day (which you can't) thereafter SO COULD EVERYONE ELSE. Why is that a problem? Because every L70 profession item that is worth making and selling (by those who have already invested in 4 mithral impliments at a minimum) requires a UE. Now everyone who levels to 70 will eventually want these products. Following so far? Good.

Now if 20% of us engage in leveling alchemy and are turning out 1 UE a day and it requires 2 UE (4 due to failure rates) to make a set of shirts and pants then you make a full set every 4 days with materials from 1/5th of the player pop (except UE also drop sometimes so we'll eyeball it at 1/4th). So 1 full set every 4 days times 4 is 16 days and there is no market for UE at all. They are worthless. We'll add three days to get alchemy to 25 so 19 days in and the market collapses. Except you can level Alchemy in more than one toon, rather easilly because it is a profession you can just buy. I already have L25 on 3 toons and working on another three. So if we average it in at 2 toons on an average 20% UE become obsolete in about 10 days. 10. At which point you were likely better off leveling leadership slowly. But if it is 12 days to make a UE you get 120 days of market value for that commodity. Are you still with me? Good.

There are other factors to consider and factors I have ignored for simplicity. If I have already convinced you you can ignore the following. Unlike leadership sellable commodities like UE pay in refined AD. Raw AD is capped. On the finished goods side you need 1 UE, 1 DE, and the required precursors. Which is current market value (it will go down) aboout 120KAD with a 40% failure rate requires a 260KAD return (after AH tax) to break even and there is no point in putting in the work to merely break even when you have the investment cost of 4 mithrals to cover. So if L70 gear is selling less than 300K there is no point in even making it. 40K refined for a day's work is a reasonable return.

Making UE with alchemy requires no capital invesment. You do not require impliments so it is an open market. Honestly if I were giving advice (and hence assisting my own competition which is insane but hey it's just a game) I'd say that leveling Alchemy has a better ROI over the course of time than leveling leadership. Complain that 'It took me days!' to make 50KAD refined with one slot rahter than 20KAD a day off of 9 slots. Do you own a calculator?

At this point I hear some 3rd year student who payed attention for a second in his econ req waking up and saying, "aggregate demand creates supply!' because he/she/ shim/ hir is an imbecile with a degree. To them (they thir) I must ask, 'How many shirts and pants do you want? If you had more AD would you suddenly want more?' Yeah.
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    query523 wrote: »
    Making UE with alchemy requires no capital invesment. You do not require impliments so it is an open market. Honestly if I were giving advice (and hence assisting my own competition which is insane but hey it's just a game) I'd say that leveling Alchemy has a better ROI over the course of time than leveling leadership. Complain that 'It took me days!' to make 50KAD refined with one slot rahter than 20KAD a day off of 9 slots. Do you own a calculator?

using one slot it takes 40 days to make a UE. this can be cut down to 19 days if you use 4 slots. I'm not sure how you think a person is supposed to gear up when something like the black ice shaping upgrade to rank 4 costs 10 UE (so 190 days assuming 4 slots, or 80 days assuming 8 slots, and this could be shortened to closer to 50ish assuming you keep making EA while the UE is going). So, 50 days to upgrade to rank 4, then you need 5 more UE to get to rank 5 (25 more days then) = 75 days needed. then the 8 UE needed to upgrade a set...
    Or you could farm all those UE and it would probably take you 2 weeks... also of note, those profession slots could be far better used to make other things. Aqua regia is selling pretty good right now and has a far short time lag and is much more profitable, akin to the crafting of clothes.

All that is being asked is that the crafting of EA and UE not be a useless task because of how ridiculously long it takes. 6 days on a UE and 3.5 days on a EA would be a sane value. After all, they give out a ton of the green resources needed to craft the EA so evidently they expect them to be used, and they require EA for every other crafting task for all professions past lv 20.... 7 days on EA and 12 days on UE is a stupid high requirement. All it does it make people start paying for stuff other people were lucky to get and as such the rich people who have the resources to buy everything can be successful where as a new player... they just don't have a chance to catch up unless they get a massive infusion of AD from elsewhere so they can buy resources too
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    query523 wrote: »
    This sort of complaining comes from people who are not used to earning AD from professions. Proffessions AD are like a business. You invest a lot up frontto get a steady return that eventually provides a ROI after which you sustain a regular income. If you could shoot up to Alchemy 25 in a few days (you can) and start shooting out a unified every day (which you can't) thereafter SO COULD EVERYONE ELSE. Why is that a problem? Because every L70 profession item that is worth making and selling (by those who have already invested in 4 mithral impliments at a minimum) requires a UE. Now everyone who levels to 70 will eventually want these products. Following so far? Good.

Well not me as the OP. I have a purple of every alchemy item. Problem with your reasoning is this task doesn't require any tools anyway. If they made it to work like other professions that would be awesome so I could use the stuff I have and make them in a reasonable period of time. I already invested in alchemy, using good business acumen buying the stuff during the alchemy lockbox when everything was cheap. So I feel like I should be able to profit from alchemy like every other profession profits from their tools. Problem with that reasoning?

As it stands, the only use for purple alchemy assets remains unlocking a slot at level 3 for rank 3 result on your alts. That's it.
  • Options
    lichuclichuc Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    vordayn wrote: »
    I think everything about Mod 6 is extending the grind in absolutely every area of gameplay!

12 days is absolutely ridiculous!

downgrade all the existing armor and weapon, reducing the exp gain from existing quest, increase the time of crafting everywhere you looked it spells 'GRIND'

put it in a good way mod6 is more challenging but for someone who has to work, play game just to relax from the stress of work this mod is a disaster.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And this is the part where all those people who traded away their epic grandmaster alchemists during the alchemy event a couple of weeks ago now have permission to hold their head in their hands and rock backwards and forwards gently XD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    charmagma wrote: »
    Well not me as the OP. I have a purple of every alchemy item. Problem with your reasoning is this task doesn't require any tools anyway. If they made it to work like other professions that would be awesome so I could use the stuff I have and make them in a reasonable period of time. I already invested in alchemy, using good business acumen buying the stuff during the alchemy lockbox when everything was cheap. So I feel like I should be able to profit from alchemy like every other profession profits from their tools. Problem with that reasoning?

As it stands, the only use for purple alchemy assets remains unlocking a slot at level 3 for rank 3 result on your alts. That's it.

True alchemy assets are the worst in the game. But you don't need assets to make armor kits either. Buying alchemy assets is a really really bad investment.
    scathias wrote: »
    using one slot it takes 40 days to make a UE. this can be cut down to 19 days if you use 4 slots. I'm not sure how you think a person is supposed to gear up when something like the black ice shaping upgrade to rank 4 costs 10 UE (so 190 days assuming 4 slots, or 80 days assuming 8 slots, and this could be shortened to closer to 50ish assuming you keep making EA while the UE is going). So, 50 days to upgrade to rank 4, then you need 5 more UE to get to rank 5 (25 more days then) = 75 days needed. then the 8 UE needed to upgrade a set...

Are you crafting your Aggregate? That is a huge waste of time. The drop rates are higher and they sell for around 10k.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    We are assuming here that if one is having issues with paying for the UE they are not going to have the resources to spare to buy the EA in the first place. 40k is a drop in the bucket to some but for quite a number of people it is a meaningful sum, especially when that 40k is just for 1 UE, for all the UE needed one needs to invest upwards of 600k.
    Just because You can pay your way through the game doesn't mean everyone can. the people that the EA and UE tasks were created for are the casuals as an alternative to having to pay and i greatly respect the devs for having done something like that, now they just need to balance the time needed to avoid having to pay for advancement in the game. right now they are greatly out of sync
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My Alchemy is now level 25, but I dont get the Unified Elements task, is this something you learn from some quests?

charmagma wrote: »
    So I'm glad alchemy can finally produce an actual wanted product, but I got it leveled to 25, started a unified elements, went to work, got back to check if it was about done, and it was nowhere. See, I thought it was a 12 hour task, as most stuff is, you know? in hours...because that is a reasonable time period for reasonable human beings! Turns out it is 12 days.

TWELVE DAYS!!!

How? What? How is this remotely useful? On the AH they go for about 80k which will surely drop as more become available. That is a profit of like 6k AD per day IF you have four aggregates which cost about 5-6k a piece, so ~60k AD per 12 days is about 5k AD per day profit. Okay, you can make the aggregates yourself...but that will only take you a full week for each one WHAT?

Honestly who thought of this? Even if you have four purple guys it'll take almost 5 days for one unified elements. These timers are absurd.

They have a random reward for quests, I think for this (at least I've seen aggregates). It is so much faster if you have all the elemental areas unlocked to go check the eight billion vigilance quests for one that gives a unified or aggregate and farm them than to do the actual profession to make them. This is absurd.
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Level 25 has three unlocks, you have to keep experimenting until the experiment task is gone.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    scathias wrote: »
    We are assuming here that if one is having issues with paying for the UE they are not going to have the resources to spare to buy the EA in the first place. 40k is a drop in the bucket to some but for quite a number of people it is a meaningful sum, especially when that 40k is just for 1 UE, for all the UE needed one needs to invest upwards of 600k.
    Just because You can pay your way through the game doesn't mean everyone can. the people that the EA and UE tasks were created for are the casuals as an alternative to having to pay and i greatly respect the devs for having done something like that, now they just need to balance the time needed to avoid having to pay for advancement in the game. right now they are greatly out of sync

If someone is actually that AD strapped simply making Major Potions of Potence and Protection takes 2 hours and they sell for 10 K. Which happens to be enough to buy an aggregate. Which is to say the drop rate on aggregate is high enough that making it is a waste of time.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    then they can make 11 potions and buy the UE as well. Which brings us back to the OP's point. making the UE and EA takes too long for it to be of any genuine use as long as the crafting time is so long
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Which is econ 101. Supply and demand. Right now demand is high for those pots because they are used for L25 experimentation. Every successful experimentation the demand for them goes down. Gauranteed you won't be able to sell them for a tenth as much in a week or two. UE has more market longevity. As illustrated already a L70 toon consumes an average 4 UE more if they want BI gear. Additionally as people get to 70 the sheer will to grind the zones where they drop is going to dissapate. So right now making and selling potions is a better investment. But long term UE will be the profitable option. Lets look at that 12 days. 40k in agg returning a 100K profit is 60k or 5k per day. Name a leadership task that yeilds 5K unrefined in a day much less refined.

Edit: the price of major flasks is now down to 5k.............
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The task takes 4 days with 4 purple alchemists which are dirt cheap (I wish they weren't, I have 150 as a result of a failed money making scheme).

What I haven't worked out is I got quests with both elemental aggregates and unified elements as rewards on Thursday, but haven't seen any more since. Has anybody worked out the rules by which those quests turn up ?
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The task takes 4 days with 4 purple alchemists which are dirt cheap (I wish they weren't, I have 150 as a result of a failed money making scheme).

What I haven't worked out is I got quests with both elemental aggregates and unified elements as rewards on Thursday, but haven't seen any more since. Has anybody worked out the rules by which those quests turn up ?

I haven't seen any unified elements in a week and i check all the quests every day twice a day. That's really sad. The chances to get one are pathetic and of course there's no way to know if there's a quest available somewhere with this specific reward.

Alchemy is indeed the primary way to get unified elements, which means months to infuse gear. That's insane.
  • Options
    syrickwolfsyrickwolf Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any unified elements in a week and i check all the quests every day twice a day. That's really sad. The chances to get one are pathetic and of course there's no way to know if there's a quest available somewhere with this specific reward.

Alchemy is indeed the primary way to get unified elements, which means months to infuse gear. That's insane.

yup but all we can do is try guys.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any unified elements in a week and i check all the quests every day twice a day. That's really sad.

Are you running the vigilance quests? if not then the rewards will never change , they only seem to have a chance to change rewards if you are running them and turning them in .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Are you running the vigilance quests? if not then the rewards will never change , they only seem to have a chance to change rewards if you are running them and turning them in .

That's absurd and sadistic. These quests are uninteresting and take too long.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The best part was when I and a friend hit 70 and he said "wow, the elements go for over 100k on AH", "what elements?" I replied, "the ones you get for quests, I got 4". I had none. BECAUSE RNG B*TCH.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz