Options

Invocation now a painful process

2»

Comments

• Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hmm... so many wrong ideas here...
    If you have a f2p game, the whole goal is to entice people to pay... to catch 'whales'. You (and I) or not whales. I've spent 40 bucks, 10/mo is what I've allotted to this game, been playing since Christmas, will 'never' spend more than that, and worst case (from their point of view) will eventually just not play anymore. Our opinions of what is and what is not 'broken' is IRRELEVANT. The only votes that matter are the players who pay. Without money, game will die. f2p model just brings a lot more people in to play, which is cool (small pop MMOs are dead MMOs). Nerfing things that go against payers makes no sense; unless like I said above, they intend to follow it up with some pay-for-ease zen item...

EDIT: 'irrelevant' may be a little overstated. f2p is actually a balancing act between no-pay players to keep up population, and the payers. They really need both. Got to make the no-pay players feel like it's 'fair', while at the same time, giving 'preference' to payers. Perhaps 'less-important' is a better term than 'irrelevant'...

My point is, the first 6 months of this game i spend around 300 bucks, after i have gotten my leadership farm up and running(and i know a lot of players, have 20-30 leadership toons) i havent spend a singel buck on the game, and neither will i since my 8 leadership toons generate more than enough free ad for me to buy what ever i want for my main. And yes that is obviously a problem for a F2P game.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    My point is, the first 6 months of this game i spend around 300 bucks, after i have gotten my leadership farm up and running(and i know a lot of players, have 20-30 leadership toons) i havent spend a singel buck on the game, and neither will i since my 8 leadership toons generate more than enough free ad for me to buy what ever i want for my main. And yes that is obviously a problem for a F2P game.

Good luck after this new Mod with your leadership tasks, lol, most of us have lives away from this time gated <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think they wanted to give people more incentive to actually PLAY the game for longer, rather than logging on, invoking, logging off, they're requiring us to invoke spaced out over four hours. They're trying to encourage people to play FOUR HOURS a day, and as isopleth that absolutely is an unhealthy habit.

At least the coins no longer disappear if you don't invoke though, so... yay?

Playing 4 hours a day is against the American Medical Associations recommended time, for tv and computers, it is irresponsible for devs in general to make games that encourages more time playing than is healthy.
  • Options
    therealairheadtherealairhead Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You're the one with the wrong idea here. Involking for AD and Leadership for AD are what's preventing zen purchase. Why would you bother buying zen ( being a 'whale' ) when you can just... get it free by clicking around on your leadership army for 15 min / day?

If they want to boost zen sales, they need to eliminate leadership, period.

That makes sense. good point. (Well, with leadership they at least get 50-100 to 'build' this leadership army. So leadership is sort of a "hey, let's AT LEAST get people to spend enough to build a leadership army...at a minimum" kind of thing)
    EDIT: I agree with you, but i thought we were talking about Invocation?
  • Options
    therealairheadtherealairhead Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    djoffer1 wrote: »

And I would guess that you represent the majority of NW players. Makes perfect sense. Like 'translucentwolf' said, leadership should probably be killed. Invocation is less of an AD generator, so this is all just more of an annoyance I suppose; an annoyance that achieves nothing; unless they follow it up with some kind of zen-ease item...

(I don't care much for f2p model... at the end of the day, I just want entertainment; have fun, etc. If they give me that, I will throw them a buck or two; if not, I eventually leave. 'Annoyances' are NOT fun imo...)
  • Options
    rschragerrschrager Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Playing 4 hours a day is against the American Medical Associations recommended time, for tv and computers, it is irresponsible for devs in general to make games that encourages more time playing than is healthy.

Just... lolsigh.
  • Options
    arfa2309arfa2309 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You're the one with the wrong idea here. Involking for AD and Leadership for AD are what's preventing zen purchase. Why would you bother buying zen ( being a 'whale' ) when you can just... get it free by clicking around on your leadership army for 15 min / day?

If they want to boost zen sales, they need to eliminate leadership, period.

If they do that. they will loose many players. Starting with me.
    I can not afford to spend money on the game (I can barely spend time on it). It´s not I don´t want to, I have a large history on spending money on games I like. But my current financial situation forbids me to do so.
    So far I´ve been a small fish in the pond, getting my AD from Leadership, Invoking and from selling anything I don´t need (Blue Ribbon pig paid well). But if they cut down my small coin incomes to force me into buying zen, I will have no other choice but to kiss Neverwinter goodbye. As someone who LOVED Baldur´s Gate 1 & 2 and Neverwinter Nights it will be really sad for me but I´ll do it. In a blink. And I don´t think I´m the only one.
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tinead51 wrote: »
    Good luck after this new Mod with your leadership tasks, lol, most of us have lives away from this time gated <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Unless you were one of the sickos without a life who logged in excactly 3 times a day to do destroy enemy camp 3 times a day, the change wont matter much... For me personaly all it will change is that i wont feel obligied to log in twice a day now, which is fine:)
  • Options
    kallikendrakallikendra Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I must admit that I think changing the invoking is a mistake. As several people have already said, most players work for a living and I'm one of them. The old system worked well for me: I invoked with my morning cuppa, again when I logged in after work and again last thing before going to bed. I only get about 40 mins in the morning and an hour and a half/two hours weekday evenings so the new system means I won't be able to invoke fully. I haven't looked at the new rewards yet but I invoked to get the coffer of refinement items - if it's still available as the top reward, I'll have to wait two weeks to get one instead of one!
  • Options
    theastromachinetheastromachine Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I must admit that I think changing the invoking is a mistake. As several people have already said, most players work for a living and I'm one of them. The old system worked well for me: I invoked with my morning cuppa, again when I logged in after work and again last thing before going to bed. I only get about 40 mins in the morning and an hour and a half/two hours weekday evenings so the new system means I won't be able to invoke fully. I haven't looked at the new rewards yet but I invoked to get the coffer of refinement items - if it's still available as the top reward, I'll have to wait two weeks to get one instead of one!

I think it is a little hard to say, since you also have to factor in all the coins people used to lose because they couldn't invoke. I hated that "OH ****" moment when I would forget, and there were 6 days worth down the drain. The casual player who only plays on weekends would have never gotten a coffer of refinement or the forgetful player does benefit.
  • Options
    kallikendrakallikendra Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Do you not lose the coins now then? (I really wish I'd had chance to read up before the new module went live!) In which case that's a good thing but that's the only change that needed to be made then in my opinion.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    New system appears to be a strike against people with ALTs... doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not a 'whale', but I've thrown some money at the game to get ALTs (got max toons for every class...was interesting... FUN actually). I might play a few of them over time, but crafting and invoking is pretty much all they are good for. Some people have 20+ toons in my guild.

So the question is, why? Why would the devs change a mechanic that goes against PAYERS, because the only way people have all these toons is because they've spent money. I can understand game changes that 'entice' and/or possibly even 'force' people to want to shell out some money. This change can do nothing but entice people NOT to shell out money for alts... makes no sense to me. Have the owners shorted their own stock?

The new system encourages people to stop creating characters and never using them for anything but invoking. This change encourages people to invoke on characters that they actually play and ignore the characters that they don't play.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Then log out between invocations. You don't have to stay online for the entire 4 hours. I know I never do.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Do you not lose the coins now then? (I really wish I'd had chance to read up before the new module went live!) In which case that's a good thing but that's the only change that needed to be made then in my opinion.

You do not.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    the whole idea of haveing to be online for 5 hours to invoke is crazzy should be cut in 1/2
  • Options
    aliradreamwalkeraliradreamwalker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Same here. It's a pain in rear now. The've pretty much ruined a lot of areas that kept me coming back.
  • Options
    lhotse5lhotse5 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why is it that I never get past the 4th Blessing before getting kicked back to the 1st Blessing ? How do you get 5 and 6 ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    beltharrbeltharr Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I hate all of the changes they've made. I am going to Skyrim and dropping Neverwinter for good. This game is ruined and I really enjoyed it up until now.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Most of my characters haven't been able to make it past the 2nd tier... I hope this gets fixed soon.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    lazelllazell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Add my voice to the chorus for people who dislike this change. As with others, I think they should have just eliminated invoking altogether if they really wanted to nerf it so heavily. (I hope somebody employed there looks up how much money I've spent on this game. It's a non-trivial amount. Are you really wanting to alienate your paying customers?)

It's not just the heavy investment in time to invoke on alts, it's also the unusual number of consecutive invocations that must be performed to reap the highest reward (that 2nd coin). If they're catering to the player who runs a single character, then consider how many visits to a camp (and how perfectly timed) they must coordinate with their play schedule? Once per hour was semi-reasonable, but staggered numbers of increasing quarter-hours is just... boggling. I know I'll never remember to invoke that many times during a marathon session.

I will, however, continue to invoke on my alts out of sheer stubbornness... because I got cheated out of so very many Ardent Coins because of the stupid timer not fitting right for a daily invocation. I've invoked daily for 1.5 years, and I'm still about 50 coins away from getting that angel companion. You can be sure that I'm going to fit this stupid invocation schedule into my routine until I get my annoyingly-earned angel on every single alt now.

You want to "fix" invoking? Offer only 1 reward per day, and reset the timer at exactly the same server time each day. Give no experience, give no astral diamonds, give only a single Ardent Coin, and get rid of those annoying self-vaporizing Celestial Coins altogether. There, ALT-farming "problem" solved.
  • Options
    oldcampaigneroldcampaigner Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The new system encourages me to stick with just 1 or 2 characters (I have 4 so far) -- otherwise, no big deal.
  • Options
    cl1mh4224rdcl1mh4224rd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lazell wrote: »
    If they're catering to the player who runs a single character, then consider how many visits to a camp (and how perfectly timed) they must coordinate with their play schedule?

That's what Portable Altars are for...