What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Cap Raise

Comments

• Options
    nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I did these feedback because of future tier.

On Icy Veins, I don't think it's a bug as a 5s (or more) freeze will be rare. In most of the case, the freeze will only last 2-4 s but the damage will be buffed for longer than that.

edit: I was speaking of Frigid Wind buff
  • Options
    yalaiayalaia Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nathyiel wrote: »
    On Icy Veins, I don't think it's a bug as a 5s (or more) freeze will be rare. In most of the case, the freeze will only last 2-4 s but the damage will be buffed for longer than that.

??? mixed up something? ??? Icy Veins ... ??? only 2-4 Seconds freeze as opressor ???

As oppressor I can freeze adds easily for more than 8 secs
  • Options
    titanishu1488titanishu1488 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    BUG: Icy Rays
    Icy Rays stops everything, even CC and damage-immune targets.
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Today I ran some ACT logs with my wizard on the preview. My lv 70 wizard was eaten by a black hole so I don't have the heart to raise up a new one to 70 so I tested at 60 with lv 70 scaling in dread ring at the dummies.

This is a 2 minute DPS race on the 4 training dummies with P vorp and around 17k GS in live:

v6zAfnC.png

As you can see, Storm Spell literally put up 45% of my DPS. This dps is sustained and my other attempts yielded similar results. From a single feat wizards get up to 45% of their DPS.

I think this is too much, it needs to be toned down to be in line with the other feats. There's also the fact that there's an underlying mechanic: because storm spell only procs on criticals all storm spell procs become crits themselves. This is a big reason why storm spell contributes to so much DPS - it only crits because it procs on crits only. (With exception of that 5% if you use OH artifact but it's too minor to mention).

MY guess is if the DPS was 3 times lower the ability would be much more in line with the other feats and abilities in general.

Note: before I get some bashing, I do play this class as main alt, right after my warlock, wizard is my 2nd favorite class. But I STILL think this change is for the better, because it's better for class balance.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    denvald wrote: »

Today I ran some ACT logs with my wizard on the preview. My lv 70 wizard was eaten by a black hole so I don't have the heart to raise up a new one to 70 so I tested at 60 with lv 70 scaling in dread ring at the dummies.

This is a 2 minute DPS race on the 4 training dummies with P vorp and around 17k GS in live:

snip...

As you can see, Storm Spell literally put up 45% of my DPS. This dps is sustained and my other attempts yielded similar results. From a single feat wizards get up to 45% of their DPS.

I think this is too much, it needs to be toned down to be in line with the other feats. There's also the fact that there's an underlying mechanic: because storm spell only procs on criticals all storm spell procs become crits themselves. This is a big reason why storm spell contributes to so much DPS - it only crits because it procs on crits only. (With exception of that 5% if you use OH artifact but it's too minor to mention).

MY guess is if the DPS was 3 times lower the ability would be much more in line with the other feats and abilities in general.

Note: before I get some bashing, I do play this class as main alt, right after my warlock, wizard is my 2nd favorite class. But I STILL think this change is for the better, because it's better for class balance.

During the testing of IWD (module 3), all the major CW AOE's were nerfed by substantial amounts, Storm Spells buff was the correction for the over-nerf. Prior to mod3 my CW (at 15.5k GS at the time) could KILL the Dummies in 1-2 spell rotations. Now after I can sometimes kill the Dummies after 2 rotations (19k GS with a legendary main hand). That's how much damage was lost, even with the absurdly buffed Storm Spell. It used to do 10-15% of our DPS. Most of your presentation was done in module 3 preview testing. We lost.

I would love to see a move of damage back to our AOE encounters from Storm Spell, especially given how tough the level 73 mobs are.
  • Options
    yalaiayalaia Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    @denvan: same comment as in your separate thread

Your test is IMHO totally useless due to several facts

- fresh copied level 60 char will be boosted to 70 getting far more stats than on live, Level 70 char will have far less (esp. crit for the rene!)
    - you used 4 attack spells (CoI on tab). Place shield on tab and test again cause you'll need shield in dungeons to stay alive. You will not be able to facetank anymore
    - I guess CoI was affecting 2 or 3 dummies cause it was tabbed. Not tabbed it would only be one dummie due to the smaller radius => less procs of storm spell
    - with level 70 you'll have far less crit, so less crit, less storm spell
    - icy terrain is stopping to damage frozen targets (bug) => less dot's, less procs of stormspell

Please test with Level 70 char and level 70 specc
  • Options
    titanishu1488titanishu1488 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Storm Spells buff was the correction for the over-nerf.
    Over-nerf? You tried to play for the other classes? PvE, naturally.

Damage is TOO HIGH. Damage should depend on the initial damage.

Damage absorbtion is too high on extremely deadly attacks. Maybe, Shield will be eat flat amount?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @denvald: I don't see any problem with what you do. But it will need more test at level 70 with epic gear for confirmation. There's a similar problem with Smolder and all proc on crit effect. Maybe some power need to be adjusted to be kept more in-line.

@Yalaia: it won't prove the testing wrong. It will show data of what can do over geared mage. But, even with a lot less stat, the proportion of each power will be equivalent. Having a single effect doing more than 25%/30% is problematic.
    And I don't plan to use Shield at all, even in mod6. Except if it show really mandatory but in this case, it should be considered as a *bug*.

----
    On my previous tweet, I was referring to Frigid Wind, not Icy Veins. And yes, mob can be freeze for a lot more longer than 5s. But it's for the mob with a lot of control resist that this feat will be important. And on such mob, freeze duration will be a lot lower.
    So having a fix duration (5s) is a *nerf* on mob that can be freeze for more than that but it's a *buff* on mob that have a lot of control resist (dungeon) and in PvP.
    Conclusion #1: the duration is maybe a little too short.
    Conclusion #2: Oppressor still have a problem against control immune target.
  • Options
    kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yalaia wrote: »
    - with level 70 you'll have far less crit, so less crit, less storm spell

like of CWs rely only on normal cc , eye of of the storm .
  • Options
    commanderdata001commanderdata001 Member Posts: 307 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Whose using storm pillar in instances all the time?
    It may raise Strom spell proccing rate but mobs other than dummies will eat you if you are stationary and pull storm pillar totally all the time.
  • Options
    jayrad8jayrad8 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited March 2015

There has been no legitimate reason to slot this encounter for two modules now...

The prone CC duration is bugged and the encounter needs more damage to be useful.

CW class in general is no where near as fun/enjoyable to play since the nerf/death of this encounter and the transition from dealing damage via encounters to dealing damage via passive procs.

Ezra@jayrad8 | M4 CW Class Advocate
    twitch.tv/ezracw | absolutegaming.guildportal.com
    #BringBackShard | M5 CW Bug List | My M3 PvP Gameplay
    PpkM0MK.png

• Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As a Control Wizard myself I've spent too much time in literally the most expensive class that there is in order to polish most of the things and I'm not even half the way there. Artifacts don't grow on trees and given the current economy issues where there's not a real method of earning AD I reckon that any further drastic changes in the already established gameplay will be too much to cope with. More Control is and will be always welcomed and it was a tremendous mistake to make the controlling spells deal less damage than before.

- Storm spell's fine, it's a specific feat which is utilized properly on the Critical hit. This is not broken, bugged nor deals damage when not intended. We have a lot of great CWs who understand the mechanics behind it and who are trying their best to find a proper AOE mob control. That being said, it would be fantastic if Lightning Enchantment works better for the Lightning based hits, instead of always Physical.

- Shard of endless avalanche should be completely remade as a spell that's doing justice to the Masters of Flame.
    Shard of the endless avalanche should have a way to be modified into one of the elemental damage. For Control - Ice. For DoT - Fire. For piercing damage - acid. And for pure critical - lightning. Wizards are elemental masters after all, no?

- Companions have been pretty much useless unless being augments. Their bonuses are often adding so little that there's no point in having a companion that's not an augment one. Either boost the stats that strikers etc provide or simply make them all augment types to begin with
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    denvald wrote: »
    They already nerfed Abyss of Chaoss to the ground but I guess nothing will be ever enough for some people...
  • Options
    caexarcaexar Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They already nerfed Abyss of Chaoss but guess nothing will be ever enough.

You're **** straight it isn't enough. Stormspell is and has been pointed out for being the abomination and hypocrisy that it is. Dev's have stated before during the GWF's heyday because of Deep Gash that they did not want a class feature contributing that much overall damage. Not only did they not handle Stormspell as they did Deep Gash, they buffed it's damage because of the outpooring of tears from CW players who felt their place as kings was in jeopardy. This is absolutely favoritism plain and simple and I pray the devs who were fired were the ones responsible for it.

A fix to Stormspell is long overdue and this mod is the time to due it.

Stormspell should have it's damage reduced by 75% to bring it back in line with other class features. This will result in around a ~30% overall damage reduction for the class which will bring them back in line with the other classes.
    Threat level 60 Guardian Fighter
    Gloom level 60 Control Wizard
    Dusk level 60 Trickster Rogue
    Dawn level 60 Devoted Cleric
    Eclipse level 60 Hunter Ranger
    Wrath level 60 Great Weapon Fighter
    Jinx level 60 Scourge Warlock
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    caexar wrote: »
    Dev's have stated before during the GWF's heyday because of Deep Gash that they did not want a class feature contributing that much overall damage.

This is incorrect. They did not want a T1 FEAT doing that much damage. You're comparing apples to oranges here.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Guys, keep calm please.

Yes, Strom Spell need to be downed down but only to keep its damage around 25%/30% of total damage.
    >> But more balancing might be required as Spelll Storm mage should have the same damage output than Master of Flame mage.

No, CW don't need a damage nerf.
    >> Even more, pure Damage CW won't survive long enough to be viable.

Conclusion : this topic is for feedback not for arguing.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    caexar wrote: »
    You're **** straight it isn't enough. Stormspell is and has been pointed out for being the abomination and hypocrisy that it is. Dev's have stated before during the GWF's heyday because of Deep Gash that they did not want a class feature contributing that much overall damage. Not only did they not handle Stormspell as they did Deep Gash, they buffed it's damage because of the outpooring of tears from CW players who felt their place as kings was in jeopardy. This is absolutely favoritism plain and simple and I pray the devs who were fired were the ones responsible for it.

A fix to Stormspell is long overdue and this mod is the time to due it.

Stormspell should have it's damage reduced by 75% to bring it back in line with other class features. This will result in around a ~30% overall damage reduction for the class which will bring them back in line with the other classes.

Pray tell, what other classes are you talking about, dealing 30% less dmg than CW. Elaborate further plz, are you talking about Mod 5 or did you do some extensive lvl 70 testing with various groups, that showed you, that CW does 30% more dmg in mod 6, than other classes?
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    asterotg wrote: »
    Pray tell, what other classes are you talking about, dealing 30% less dmg than CW. Elaborate further plz, are you talking about Mod 5 or did you do some extensive lvl 70 testing with various groups, that showed you, that CW does 30% more dmg in mod 6, than other classes?

I have no clue which class!
    SWs, TRs are doing way better dmg than CWs.
    Hrs are doing better dmg.
    I havent seen Gwfs mod6 buffs.
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I do not know which game you play, if you feel like warlocks do better DPS than CWs get a reality check, and a really big one too.

Stopwatch - 2minutes dread ring dummy beating AoE DPS with 4 targets in optimal DPS setup. Two lv 60 chars scaled to lv 70 stat curves using the stat lines for lv 70 with the same gear score on live using Perfect Vorpal.

SW fury hellbringer - 4.1mil
    Xipuwt3.png

CW renegade spellstorm mage - 6.7mil
    v6zAfnC.png

Same test but single target this time.
    SW fury hellbringer - 2.7mil
    ZjX1B3u.png

CW renegade spellstorm mage - 6.2mil
    VwQklKX.png

Stop lying and making up opinions out of no statistics at all you're not helping the discussion. Storm spell is contributing for over 40% of the DPS for wizards and there's clearly no debating CWs are way better DPS than SW. If you feel your survival is bad go try a class that has no control, no shield, and no absolute defensive mechanism tell me how it goes.

Eitherway the coin lands, a feat contributing to 40% + of a character's DPS should NEVER be intended.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    jayrad8jayrad8 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I would be happy to see SS reverted to Mod3 status, ie. much lower damage, in exchange for more powerful encounters.
    Ezra@jayrad8 | M4 CW Class Advocate
    twitch.tv/ezracw | absolutegaming.guildportal.com
    #BringBackShard | M5 CW Bug List | My M3 PvP Gameplay
    PpkM0MK.png

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So anyway...this is the Module 6 feedback thread. Storm Spell, if I'm reading things correctly, is not on the table. At this point they're already neck deep in a very ambitious update for them. I hardly doubt they have the time or resources to go back and re-balance storm spell and all the CW encounters.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Reduce damage of storm spell by80% so it can be in line with other class futures

Lightning enchant procs abyss of chaos
  • Options
    nwoun1nwoun1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The problem of Storm Spell is not its damage btw., it's that it's available to all builds where it should only be that effective for Thaum/DPS builds. Also MoFs are currently not viable whatsoever because they lack the class feature.

I think Thaum/Spellstorm should be DPS king, MoF/Renegade the best utility and Oppressor best control with a secondary focus depending on the paragon path. Spellstorm for DPS and MoF for utility.

Thie class features has fallen down the ladder considerably with the new stat curves. In BiS gear CWs will easily hit 70% Crit, which means the upgrade to 100% every 20 seconds will be even worse.
  • Options
    learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Im am willing as a cw to lower ss if we get more control
  • Options
    learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    warpet wrote: »
    reduce damage of storm spell by80% so it can be in line with other class futures

lightning enchant procs abyss of chaos

80% reduction in ss would be 99 % overall damage redution in cws make them less than a gf in DPS thats the wrong way to go
  • Options
    relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe restore SS to what it was before module 4 and bring back Shard to it's former glory with slightly toned down dmg? That would bring some non-braindead play into CW. Specially pvp part of it.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • Options
    vexus99vexus99 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jayrad8 wrote: »

There has been no legitimate reason to slot this encounter for two modules now...

The prone CC duration is bugged and the encounter needs more damage to be useful.

CW class in general is no where near as fun/enjoyable to play since the nerf/death of this encounter and the transition from dealing damage via encounters to dealing damage via passive procs.

Please type this in your chat bar:

/net graph 1

To turn it back off just go to your chat bar again and type this:

/net graph 0

Then check to see what your ping is. If it is below 100 ms then I completely see why you would have that viewpoint. Personally, I'm usually around 60 ms out of combat. With our lower pings these precise timing and skill combos can be executed reliably by those with skill and a good connection. But, I know many PvP'ers who can compete at 200+ ms pings. They could not reliably use that if it were the go-to dominant style that it used to be. By putting a high amount of damage in the feats and passives (like the TR's and HR's ) it allows those with less fantastic pings to still compete.

Timing is important in PvP, that isn't being disputed. Some people liked the meatball falling playstyle, as you have pointed out. Others, like me did not like it. But lets be clear. There are two separate issues here.

1. Making Shard useful for everyone (which implies some trigger for high ping people), and

2. Deciding how much damage to have in active spells vs. Passives and feats.

Simply beefiing up a skill that only helps the low ping BIS People in PvP doesn't really address much of the problem.

Passives
    If the Devs are considering lowering passive damage then it should be coupled with higher base damage on encounters and at wills. I think most classes, including CW's would prefer that to proc forcing Storm Spell and Storm Fury or proc watching Eye of the Storm. But simply nerf in damage to a class that is required to be immobile to do damage is problematic.

Storm Spell, Storm Fury
    Specifically these are high reward investments. For Storm Spell you get high damage only for a high investment into critical chance. For both class features you get the very hard to obtain damage while moving. The catch for Storm Fury, obviously, is the requirement to stay below half health. Lowering the damage on these seems like a poor decision.

Storm Fury is the ultimate high risk and high reward feature. Nerf in damage means you make it irrelevant.

Storm Spell cannot be evaluated based on mod 5 numbers. In Mod 6 getting a high crit rate is much tougher. It becomes more of a high end build choice. At BIS with a perfect vorpal, it is a good choice. But at a mid gear score using the mod 6 stat curves ... it is more of a glass cannon.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So maybe SS needs a re-work or nerf BUT! Given a buff BACK up in a specific tree. Maybe in Thaumaturge somewhere....

So BASE "SS" can be brought down to a ~ 25% damage reduction AND 15% chance to proc.

Then ADD back in the Thaumaturge tree a feat. "Focused StormSpell": Your StormSpell has an additional 2/4/6/8/10% chance to proc and its damage is increased by 5/10/15/20/25%.

Now SS is back to the SAME level it is now, but requires a specific tree to get access to it.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Disintegrate need increase its cooldown.i took a look on my control wizard i couldnt find an encounter with 5 second cooldown on 35% recharge speed.Disintegrate has big damage and kill a target if his hp equal to encounter description weapon damage i think trhesold with ranks increase that weapon damage.A 10 sec cooldown for this powerfull encounter will be fine.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Disintegrate need increase its cooldown.i took a look on my control wizard i couldnt find an encounter with 5 second cooldown on 35% recharge speed.Disintegrate has big damage and kill a target if his hp equal to encounter description weapon damage i think trhesold with ranks increase that weapon damage.A 10 sec cooldown for this powerfull encounter will be fine.
    Don't forget a feat like Spell Twitting that can lead to Desintagrate + Magic Missiles very short rotation. Just add a ray of Enfeeblement and you obtain a massive damage very short rotation.
This discussion has been closed.