test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

After 50 pres wards, still not upgraded to R10

namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
edited March 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I just blew through 50 pres ward and my draconic enchantment is still not upgraded to R10 yet. I get its 10% chance. But 50 fails and still counting!?! WTF is wrong with the RNG!?! So frustrating. Taking a break before I give PWE more money.
Post edited by namelesshero347 on

Comments

• revovlerjesus1revovlerjesus1 Member Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RNG man, 62 is my best (worst :P )
  • d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Folks will tell ya that statistical analysis shows that it is actually possible to fail a 10% chance 50 times. Except in neverwinter, that's not an anomaly. That's going to happen next time you roll a 10% and the time after that (maybe only 42 next time). Murphy rules the NW RNG, and if there is a slight possibility of a failure the game will make it so.
  • totallynotfrishtotallynotfrish Member Posts: 89
    edited February 2015
    If player is offline {
    success chance = 10%
    }
    else {
    success rate = 1%
    }
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just so as to balance the thread with my own anecdotal evidence. I created four Greater Dragon Hoard Enchantments recently. They were 10% chance success and I used the Preservation Wards. The first one succeeded on the first try. The next three took more tries. The worst of them took 14 tries. I think I had about 60 Wards, and had more than 10 left when I was done.
  • cyencecyence Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RNG is at the heart of DnD. Sometimes the dice love you, sometimes they don't.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Its been said here many times before. But the RNG here has a reputation of being streaky. If you get a good result keep trying, its likely you will often get several in a row. However, if you are on a bad streak, STOP. Do something else, come back to it a bit later, give the seed a chance to reset. You will often find your luck much better this way.
  • xylocainexylocaine Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    RNG % fits with a larger sample, for example:
    Upgrade enchantments with 1% chance requires an average of 94 preservation wards (test pool was 84 enchantments done). Worst: 444 preservation wards, best: 0. :D

But yes, it should be more smooth...
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When the likelihood of success is 10% you will on average spend 10 Preservation Wards to succeed.

You might as well use a Coalescent ward then and avoid the heartache.

But of course, some people enjoy gambling :)
    edited March 2015
    When the likelihood of success is 10% you will on average spend 10 Preservation Wards to succeed.

But of course, some people enjoy gambling :)

That's a waste of a coal ward. You'd need to use 100 pres wards to match the cost of a coal ward. While possible with unlucky streaks, it's more likely that it won't cost that much.
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just blew through 50 pres ward and my draconic enchantment is still not upgraded to R10 yet. I get its 10% chance. But 50 fails and still counting!?! WTF is wrong with the RNG!?! So frustrating. Taking a break before I give PWE more money.

I had 85 fails in a row on a 50% chance upgrade. I was less than pleased and ended up using a coal ward. I may be paranoid but we have had a running joke about this for many double RP events back where such seems to be the case (but more likely since more are refining it just stands out more).
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I had 85 fails in a row on a 50% chance upgrade. I was less than pleased and ended up using a coal ward. I may be paranoid but we have had a running joke about this for many double RP events back where such seems to be the case (but more likely since more are refining it just stands out more).

i had 74 fails for a rank 6
    rng is not working is a matter of fact.
    the best way to upgrade is trying 10 times and then stop in not populated instances.
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited March 2015
    arrrrrgh .... dem 10% chances i guess i been extremly lucky i didnt wasted more then 16 wards to make 1 artifact orange , heard ppl telling me is impossibl and i need blue coal, but yes indeed the RNG in this game works very very bad u can get fail on 90% even 3 times in a row :D
  • jondbxjondbx Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Folks will tell ya that statistical analysis shows that it is actually possible to fail a 10% chance 50 times. Except in neverwinter, that's not an anomaly. That's going to happen next time you roll a 10% and the time after that (maybe only 42 next time). Murphy rules the NW RNG, and if there is a slight possibility of a failure the game will make it so.

There comes a point when something that has a 0.00001% chance of happening, happens often enough that you have to take your head out of your xxxxx and accept that fact that it's a bug and not the random number generator or bad luck.

I went through 42 wards yesterday upgrading an artifact to legendary. 10% chance too. Happens far too often.

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag
    edited March 2015

That is the worst advice anyone could ever give.

You would need to burn up nearly 100 preservation wards to equal 1 coalescent ward. Even in the case of the OP burning up 50, he still spent less then a single coal ward.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    That is the worst advice anyone could ever give.

You would need to burn up nearly 100 preservation wards to equal 1 coalescent ward. Even in the case of the OP burning up 50, he still spent less then a single coal ward.

If sll you are doing is trying to save money then it is bad advice.

If you are trying to alleviate stress and frustration and get back to having a good time...it is excellent advice.
    edited March 2015
    I don't know, throwing away a quarter of a million AD for no reason other then FUZE NOW!!! seems pretty stressful to me. Ive already commented on the RNGs streaky nature, because of it I rarely will try more then 10 times in a row. If after that many i've still failed. Ill just put it on the shelf and try again later. More often then not, ill get it to upgrade the next time I try.

The only stress I see here, seems to be self induced.
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    whats more stressful to a normal human, pressing a button 20 times, or losing 200,000 AD because of poor thinking?
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    kurtb88 wrote: »
    whats more stressful to a normal human, pressing a button 20 times, or losing 200,000 AD because of poor thinking?

Pressing the button.

Each time you have to pay attention and make sure the ward is in so you don't use your precious supplies. (we have all seen reports from those who forget the ward after attempt 23). After about 10 times you you start to feel a minor twinge of annoyance with every FAIL! Oh well 20 FAILS! may as well try again tomorrow you say...oh that makes one feel so good when they go to bed failing.

Or you just plop down 200k and do it, done-in-one SUCCESS! Once you have bought it you have already made the decision, so not any stress really.

That said, I use green wards most of the time ;)
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I did three R10's today. 2nd try. 3rd try. 4th try. :cool:
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited March 2015
    Pressing the button.

Each time you have to pay attention and make sure the ward is in so you don't use your precious supplies. (we have all seen reports from those who forget the ward after attempt 23). After about 10 times you you start to feel a minor twinge of annoyance with every FAIL! Oh well 20 FAILS! may as well try again tomorrow you say...oh that makes one feel so good when they go to bed failing.

Or you just plop down 200k and do it, done-in-one SUCCESS! Once you have bought it you have already made the decision, so not any stress really.

That said, I use green wards most of the time ;)

That's 500k for a coal ward. That's 8m just in coal wards for a full set of rank 10s and 3 legendary artifacts. More for next module. That's a lot considering it's just the cost of success and ignoring the already significant cost of the requirements.
  • quotablequotable Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you have a 10% chance of success, the probability that you'd fail 50 times in a row is 0.9^50 ~ 0.5153775%.

But for some purposes, that's the wrong question to ask. If 1000 people each try something with a 10% chance of success until they succeed, the odds that someone fails at least 50 times in a row is about 99.43%.

Larger sample sizes cause the probabilities to even out some due to various laws of large numbers. If you need to keep rolling until you have ten successes, then the probability that you'd have at least 500 failures (i.e., average at least 50 failures) is about 0.000000000009245%. Or, a whole lot less than 0.515% above. If a million people in the playerbase all tried this, the probability that any of them would have 500 failures before their ten successes is still small enough that it's very unlikely that it would happen.

Indeed, if you have to roll until you get ten successes, the probability that you'd have at least 200 failures is less than 0.2%--and considerably less than 50 failures before your first success. And 200 failures is only a little over double the expected value of 90.

This sort of distribution actually does some things that you might find counterintuitive. For example, if you roll until you have 10 successes, the probability that you end with fewer than 90 failures--that is, do better than the expected value--is about 53.55%. So a majority of the players do better than average. The most likely number of failures is actually a tie between 80 and 81. But that long tail still exists.

There's also a substantial measurement bias. If you have to roll until you get a success on ten different occasions, and you end up with 90 failures in total, you likely don't remember the times that you had a quick success after only a failure or two so well. But you sure remember that time that you ran up 40 failures and were convinced that the game is out to get you.

This, of course, all assumes that the random number generator in the game is a good one. But that's an entirely different can of worms.

Quaternion from the previous forum
  • icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Refined myself 2 x Rank 10s during this event.

First rank 10 took me about 10 tries
    Second rank 10 succeed on 4th try!

In the past, the worst I ever had for 10% was about 22~23 tries, that was like a nightmare, and I felt 'some coding must have screwed up!', then I closed my window, zone into another zone, and then bang, on 3~4th try! Not sure if things screws up if you do it too fast too repetitvely, but if it doesn't go well on the first few attempts, try to whack a few mobs, zone into another zone and see if you find a new RnG God that works for you? :)

quotable wrote: »
    If you have a 10% chance of success, the probability that you'd fail 50 times in a row is 0.9^50 ~ 0.5153775%.

But for some purposes, that's the wrong question to ask. If 1000 people each try something with a 10% chance of success until they succeed, the odds that someone fails at least 50 times in a row is about 99.43%.

Larger sample sizes cause the probabilities to even out some due to various laws of large numbers. If you need to keep rolling until you have ten successes, then the probability that you'd have at least 500 failures (i.e., average at least 50 failures) is about 0.000000000009245%. Or, a whole lot less than 0.515% above. If a million people in the playerbase all tried this, the probability that any of them would have 500 failures before their ten successes is still small enough that it's very unlikely that it would happen.

Indeed, if you have to roll until you get ten successes, the probability that you'd have at least 200 failures is less than 0.2%--and considerably less than 50 failures before your first success. And 200 failures is only a little over double the expected value of 90.

This sort of distribution actually does some things that you might find counterintuitive. For example, if you roll until you have 10 successes, the probability that you end with fewer than 90 failures--that is, do better than the expected value--is about 53.55%. So a majority of the players do better than average. The most likely number of failures is actually a tie between 80 and 81. But that long tail still exists.

There's also a substantial measurement bias. If you have to roll until you get a success on ten different occasions, and you end up with 90 failures in total, you likely don't remember the times that you had a quick success after only a failure or two so well. But you sure remember that time that you ran up 40 failures and were convinced that the game is out to get you.

This, of course, all assumes that the random number generator in the game is a good one. But that's an entirely different can of worms.
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    After a break, finally got the R10 on the 10th try for a body count of 59 pres wards.

I did 32 upgrades this weekend costing 155 pres wards. 10 of the upgrades hit on the first try, including two 20%-ers. Average cost per upgrade was 4.8 pres ward. Pretty good, even with the one nasty outlier. I guess in the end, it kind of averages out.
  • kazearimorikazearimori Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wow, thanks guys. And I thought my record of 48 was bad for a 10% chance. LoL!
    Other record was for a 40% chance, failed 27 times.
  • robrobsonrobrobson Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    27 fails on 40% chance (0.0001%) is much worse than that case with 59 fail on 10% chance (0.2%).
    I don't believe in 85 fails on 50% chance that someone mentioned (even if every person in the world would play that game from its beggining)
    I
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    robrobson wrote: »
    27 fails on 40% chance (0.0001%) is much worse than that case with 59 fail on 10% chance (0.2%).
    I don't believe in 85 fails on 50% chance that someone mentioned (even if every person in the world would play that game from its beggining)
    I

Believe what you want, but it happened to me. It was 45 fails and I posted and then I had 40 more after posting (well some combination on that as it could have been 65 + 20 as I posted in the double RP thread).
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Of course, any forum of this type mostly only shows you the extremes. Anyone who experiences the middle ground, where the number of wards used *roughly* averages out, those people are probably not going to post that info because it's not noteworthy. It's also human nature to remember the failures more than the successes. I wrote and ran a simple browser-based strategy game for a few friends last year. All but one of those (entirely rational) people were convinced their dice rolls were worse than everyone else's, even after I produces a table showing how it all averaged out. Even the eventual runaway winner thought he was hard done by.

I've not kept any records but I reckon I've had enough refines that succeeded in the first couple of attempts to balance out those where it seems to take loads. And, hey, at least pres wards are cheap.
  • rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    Of course, any forum of this type mostly only shows you the extremes. Anyone who experiences the middle ground, where the number of wards used *roughly* averages out, those people are probably not going to post that info because it's not noteworthy. It's also human nature to remember the failures more than the successes. I wrote and ran a simple browser-based strategy game for a few friends last year. All but one of those (entirely rational) people were convinced their dice rolls were worse than everyone else's, even after I produces a table showing how it all averaged out. Even the eventual runaway winner thought he was hard done by.

I've not kept any records but I reckon I've had enough refines that succeeded in the first couple of attempts to balance out those where it seems to take loads. And, hey, at least pres wards are cheap.

True. I haven't been keeping close track but I'm right about average with my success. Sometimes I get lucky and hit a 20% chance on the first try. Sometimes I lose 6-7 times on a 40%. But overall I'd say I'm close to the expected %.
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    First off, if you have reagent items in your overflow bag (marks dropped from a container you opened, for example), upgrades will fail no matter what your odds are. The game recognizes the reagent but can't use it.

Secondly, I advise anyone doing upgrading to go off somewhere by yourself, an instance with no spawns by the entrance or a foundry. Then it's just you and the RNG alone together and no noise from anyone else also doing stuff. You should always see results that are representative of the stated percentages this way (on average).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dadanddragons#6895 dadanddragons Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have to wonder what it's like to upgrade with a 1% chance - I cannae think right now what it is, but I know I've got some stones sitting in the bank with 1% upgrade chances, and unless I win the lottery they're going to stay that way. :D