test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Invoking on preview - something new?

ixotlixotl Member Posts: 310 Arc User
I just invoked a character on preview and got a big popup dialog explaining how I'll get Artifact assets if I invoke multiple times (at 15 mins, 30 mins, ...) after an initial invoke. So I invoke the one time and noticed two things:
1) I have an Artifact asset now EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT DOING ARTIFICING. Are new mechanics being introduced that tie to your ORIGINAL choice of deity at character creation?
For me, character creation was back in BETA and again about a year ago. If this is the case (your deity is no more than a name) I suspect there will be many unhappy campers out there. Have a goodly supply of (free) character mods so one may choose a new deity to better align with the character one has crafted over these several moons.

2) The Ardent and Celestial coin count did not increase. I don't recall actually ever invoking in preview before today so don't know if this is standard preview behavior or not.

So, can someone explain this behavior on preview? I'm baffled.
Post edited by ixotl on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the info. I'll await Friday's build update.

Personally, I only invoke once a day for the coins. And can't possibly imagine an Invocation Army. What a way to eke out a living. (But then the Profession Asset awarded my character could be farmed and sold, I suppose, as the Asset isn't Bound.)
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If everyone gets them they aren't worth posting on AH. They'll just take up space in a limited bag.
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm a bit confused by the OP seeming to mix up artifacts with artificing and choice of deity. Aren't they all entirely unconnected?

Anyhow, if invoking is going to sometimes give us professions assets then I'm in! Where do I sign?
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hold your horses, Tex.

There's a good chance these are simply placeholders.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hold your horses, Tex.

There's a good chance these are simply placeholders.

Exactly. Nothing's working yet. Nothing to see. Nothing to get excited about yet.

But what it does look like they're doing is now rewarding people for playing longer, and not just logging in 20 alts for 5 seconds to pray.

My guildie was experimenting a bit with the timers, and they only count "online time". So you can't log in 20 toons, pray, then log back in with them again 15 minutes later and pray again to get the next tier of rewards.

Which honestly is a change I'm fine with.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Nothing to get excited about yet.

Too late. I'm excited. ;p

I guess the progression will be something like:
    15 mins - a random profession asset
    30 mins - an enchanted key
    45 mins - a pre-levelled legendary artifact of your choice
    60 mins - an R3 enchant (bound) and a badge that says "Ha Ha! It was all just a dream, sucker!"
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Wtf?! I can't invoke on PTS due overflow bug bull****?! They ****ed up the next one. First the siege event of neverwinter not possible to complete the quests(because HE can't be collected due overflow bug bull****...) and now this?

For me it's showing: R3 alchemist assistant 30 min is a green R3 alchemist and the step 3-6 again R3 alchemist assistant.

To the changed R7 cel coins reward(or better they split it) to 3. Does anyone guess how the % of each second reward thing is?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by the OP seeming to mix up artifacts with artificing and choice of deity. Aren't they all entirely unconnected?

Yes, my bad. I meant an Artificing asset. But as has been pointed out these are probably just placeholders for something else.

But no A or C coins when invoking on Preview?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    Does anyone guess how the % of each second reward thing is?

I would guess the same, except with the two types of stone replacing the peridot and aquamarine in each case.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do we know if Ardent coin rewards are being reworked as well as the Celestial coin ones? I'm either on 360 or just under 360 on a few of my alts and don't know whether to get the angel or wait and get any new companion they might add.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ardent coins cap at 500, so it won't hurt to wait. Store was the same, except for adding weapons for Warlock and Paladin (tooltips not finished, missing weapon enchant slots - and all of these really ought to be changed to free appearance change, imo, since that's all they're really good for).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    hodiel01hodiel01 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The lack of AD when invoking on the test server was bugging me, is this likely to be one of the things sorted on Friday?
  • Options
    hundetrenerenhundetreneren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 35
    edited February 2015
    I am still utterly puzzled and comfused about this system. Alchemists... assisting ones.
    Wonder when this will be clarified? Or maybe I have just not understood it, that might also be the case :P
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am still utterly puzzled and comfused about this system. Alchemists... assisting ones.
    Wonder when this will be clarified? Or maybe I have just not understood it, that might also be the case :P

IT'S. NOT. FINISHED.

That's why you're utterly puzzled and confused. It's a work in progress. Wait for an official post and explanation of the new invoking system before you try to speculate.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Okay that's strange.

I invoked on a char, that has no overflow bug BS, and instead of the 'alchemist' - R3 green asset - which was shown as reward I only got the R3 white one...

To the splittet R7 reward:

Coffer of Celestial Enchantment:

useless enchantment junk

AND one of the following:

white thaum stone
    green ward
    green thaum stone
    blue coal

Coffer of Celestial Artifacts:

useless reagent material(only the blue rewards are good, the other can be cheap farmed...)

white powerstone
    white stabilitystone
    white unionstone
    green ward
    green thaum stone
    green powerstone
    green stabilitystone
    green unionstone
    blue coal

Coffer of Celestial Artifact Equipment

(interesting because it's the same junk as Celestial Artifacts deliver)

white resonancestone
    green ward
    green thaumstone
    green resonancestone
    blue coal

So how % will be each of the positions of the 3 coffers for the 'AND ...'? And what will happen to those coffers, we already have?
    Not to mention how the 'Bop' is implemented(BOA or real BOP)...
  • Options
    vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nothing has been explained by devs yet. Only that more information would be coming. We have a little over 2 weeks until Mod 6 goes live. I think it would be nice to know these and other changes now so that we can provide feedback and test.

In general I feel like the window is closing to properly test all of this and am worried that drastic changes are going to be dumped on preview right before live.
  • Options
    keeperwillkeeperwill Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i think we will gain 1 green asset related with god we choice at character creation.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    keeperwill wrote: »
    i think we will gain 1 green asset related with god we choice at character creation.

And then they'll implement Deity change token for 1500 zen. Moar moneh!!
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Whatever the rewards, with it taking multiple rounds of invoking every 15 minutes to get a Celestial coin...
    Say goodbye to steady community supply of [Elixir of Fate].
    Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• Options
    zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's not every 15 minutes, it's incremental. 0->15->15+30->45+45->1:30+1:00->2:30+1:30 = 4 hours minimum to get all 6 invoke rewards.

One can only hope that everything about invoking that's on preview right now, the new timer set up as well as the current rewards, is scrapped before mod 6 goes live.

I really can't imagine the thinking involved in what we're seeing here, even if it's a WIP. The new timer is needlessly confusing, necessitating an interface that only shows what the timers will be and which forces the player to press an additional button, successive rewards that will most likely be devalued to almost nothing so rapidly as to be pointless, having deity choice determine the reward is doomed to result in player frustration, and a design that screams bot-friendly because who else is going to want to invoke 6 times? I'm just blown away.

The only good thing I can say about it is that I kind of like the idea of deity differentiation in the game, but doing it like this is nothing but trouble. Frankly any implementation of that would require too much work to balance in a way that didn't upset players, it's just not worth doing at this point when the game has so many other issues.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • Options
    checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I also hope that the new invoking idea that is tied to contiguous or cumulative login time is not implemented. My reasons are:

1) The design will do nothing to prevent cheating players who use scripting/botting to get all the invoking awards.
    2) The design might penalize players who have lower graphic cards or any player that gets DC'ed. The platform for NVW is not sufficiently stable across all versions of computers/VCs to permit a reward system based on contiguous login time.
    3) The design will penalize legitimate players who have purchased/use character slots to utilize the invoke system to gain rewards on multiple characters. This will impact any player, not just those who use additional characters as alts. If you want to gain maximum rewards on 2 characters, you would need to be cumulatively logged in for 8 hours.

But, as it is clearly a test of an idea on preview, I have no official feedback yet.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• Options
    lokahn11lokahn11 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If the premise is that Neverwinter caters to the 'casual' in terms of content, etc., an invoking system that would require you to stay logged on to a character for x consecutive hours to gain the full benefits would seem to be a stark contradiction. This isn't even about alts. Like so many of the player base in Neverwinter I am simply a casual player as I have work, a family, and a home to enjoy, care for, and maintain. Are you sure you want to punish your casual players who can't play for hours at a time, but who happen to have some discretionary income?
  • Options
    animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    even though ive played for 6 hours on test server pretty straight hough, I must say that I never ever ever remember to invoke again after ive done it the first time.

ALl the changes they keep wanting to do here, just reeks, they should just scrap it all, and start building NEverwinter Online 2... because this CERTAINLY aint he same game I started playing just after the Caturday disaster!
  • Options
    vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    yeah I am not sure how the new invoking is going to enhance the game any. So far it looks like it will make it more complicated.

However, it isn't completed yet so I will hold off judgement
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    2) The design might penalize players who have lower graphic cards or any player that gets DC'ed. The platform for NVW is not sufficiently stable across all versions of computers/VCs to permit a reward system based on contiguous login time.

Just to clarify, it's time online, not cumulative. So if you log in for 20 minutes, log off for an hour, then come back in, your "invoke" timer stops when you logged off, so you start right back at the beginning.

It's not a continuous login thing, and I imagine the timer will reset every day at 3 AM just like other daily stuff.

But yes, I can see the intent is to reward players for longer play sessions, not armies of alts who just log in long enough to pray each day.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, it's time online, not cumulative. So if you log in for 20 minutes, log off for an hour, then come back in, your "invoke" timer stops when you logged off, so you start right back at the beginning.

It's not a continuous login thing, and I imagine the timer will reset every day at 3 AM just like other daily stuff.

But yes, I can see the intent is to reward players for longer play sessions, not armies of alts who just log in long enough to pray each day.

Please read my comments for the two types of time possibilities for achieving invoking rewards. #2 relates to contiguous time. #3 relates to cumulative time (which would be easier over a 24-hour period to achieve). Contiguous does not mean cumulative. As the system is in flux, I wanted to give an interpretation of what would happen if the login reward becomes contiguous or cumulative. One cannot leave out either possibility just because it does not yet exist. Even a less stringent, cumulative login would still have repercussions. The current contiguous login reward is the most stringent.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Please read my comments for the two types of time possibilities for achieving invoking rewards. #2 relates to contiguous time. #3 relates to cumulative time (which would be easier over a 24-hour period to achieve). Contiguous does not mean cumulative. As the system is in flux, I wanted to give an interpretation of what would happen if the login reward becomes contiguous or cumulative. One cannot leave out either possibility just because it does not yet exist. Even a less stringent, cumulative login would still have repercussions. The current contiguous login reward is the most stringent.

Without getting loads of chests for a small percantage chance of cwards, you are basically never going to get one.

I mean out of 100, I get one cward.

So basically what you guys are saying, is that there is no longer a chance of a cward, or its so small, forget it?

It was already pretty small.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Checkmate, I was merely answering one of your criticisms. If you get DC'd for whatever reason, it doesn't reset your invoke timer. You just log back in and continue to play.

So your worry in point 2 is unfounded.

That's all.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1