test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will removing gear score improve the end-game issues?

askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
edited March 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I heard that gear score was going away and was immediately elated as being back 1 month and I'm already hanging on by a thread again. The gear score epeen issue is the single leading factor driving me from this game. If your new to this game and your stuck at 11k GS you can't find a group for squat. Even in the large guilds I've floated thru, people simple don't wanna spend the time running dungeons with lower gear scores... these kids now days want easy mode fast food everything... looking for a full group of 20K GS to run a dungeon designed for 5 people with 10K GS. Honestly, I don't know how new players can even get to 11k GS.. I was lucky and my nephew gave me a boatload of stuff and AD and I was able to get to 11K via the auction house but my GS has quickly stagnated as I wait in endless queues or trying and navigate the nonstop sea of gold spam in LFG trying to find a group that way.

The dungeon queue is absolutely, abhorrently *worthless*. I've sat and sat and sat and sat in the queues and in the rare instance when the queue does pop there is a 80% chance the group falls apart right away. (I can only assume they are inspecting people's GS and rage quitting) In the rare event your group makes it to the first pull there is a another 80% chance the group won't last the entire instance.

Will this get better in mod 6? Apparently GS is being replaced by yet another metric to which people can measure epeen's by so how will this be any better?

Thx for any info as I sit here on the fence yet again.
Post edited by askopdkapok on

Comments

• Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Changing it won't make much difference will it?I'm not 100% on this but the new system seems to be similar to WoW's gear rating system
  • Options
    fatgunsfatguns Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Im sure people will still be focusing on geting better people into ther group so i dont think it will make any changes at all
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well I was hoping a new system will at least "get my foot in the door" and then hopefully avoid the dreaded vote kick by knowing and playing my class well. Right now you don't even get a fighting chance.
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, it will change only the numbers, not the discrimination.
    If there was no number to use you would get judged on your armour, or on your companion, or on the colour of your hair.
    That's people for ya!

As for progressing your GS, get to WoD and follow the dragon herald "zerg" at 15 minutes to each hour. You'll get blues, coffers, potions, scrolls and the odd purple that can be sold or salvaged to generate AD. Then you can upgrade your stuff without the pain of dungeon pugging. If you can bear it, try the Tiamat thing every hour on the hour. That leads to Linu's Favours and ultimately to artifact gear. And do the ToD campaign to earn an artifact weapon. Most of this stuff can be done solo or with randoms. Or just be happy at 11k and wait to see what your Mod 6 "score" is.

But just don't expect the elitism to stop just because GS does...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    Yeah, it will change only the numbers, not the discrimination.
    If there was no number to use you would get judged on your armour, or on your companion, or on the colour of your hair.
    That's people for ya!

As for progressing your GS, get to WoD and follow the dragon herald "zerg" at 15 minutes to each hour. You'll get blues, coffers, potions, scrolls and the odd purple that can be sold or salvaged to generate AD. Then you can upgrade your stuff without the pain of dungeon pugging. If you can bear it, try the Tiamat thing every hour on the hour. That leads to Linu's Favours and ultimately to artifact gear. And do the ToD campaign to earn an artifact weapon. Most of this stuff can be done solo or with randoms. Or just be happy at 11k and wait to see what your Mod 6 "score" is.

But just don't expect the elitism to stop just because GS does...

Yea I'm doing all the campaigns I can currently in parallel as well as WoD. I'm hoping I can get to 16k because it seems you can somewhat find groups at 16k.. at least I see a lot of spam in LFG with 16k as the minimum.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    How level will the playing field be after raising the level cap 10 levels? I realize these 20k+ GS people will still have their high-level enchants and relics and etc.... but do you think the new metric will be normalized enough as people first hit 70 to make this less of a problem, at least for a few months?
  • Options
    kabinoleskabinoles Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nope,they can still see how much power you have and judge you on that
    low power is low gs most of the time
    GF is another story,if they have like 6k and above they will judge him/her as a high gs
    there will be always a way around too see if you have a high gs
    for me they should only let you see the armor and the lvl of a player

edit:now at lvl 70 they will be superpowers,like gods
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They are just switching one number for another number...why, I do not know

One thing you could do is make a guild specifically targeted at allowing all people to play. There are a lot of others in your situation who might be attracted to such a group.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In my opinion it will make zero difference. WoW followed the same path by switching GS for item level and guess what, nothing changed.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »
    In my opinion it will make zero difference. WoW followed the same path by switching GS for item level and guess what, nothing changed.

The difference is in WoW you can make up the GS difference if you've been away. I left WoW for 3 years and went back 3 months before WoD dropped... I was able to gear up and get a Garrosh kill on one toon before the achievement went away and a second toon by the time WoD had dropped. Honestly. I was quite impressed with how far WoW had evolved and was enjoying just about everything in the game until WoD dropped and my jaw hit the floor at how bad that expac was...

And so started my old ritual of navigating back thru Rift, now Wildstar and ESO and now here searching for a new home... again.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yes but then WoW is alt friendly and allows you to catch up fairly quickly IF you put in the work to get there because they want even the casuals to experience end-game content - it's just not as grindy as NW. The only way, besides splashing the cash, to do it here is to play until your eyes bleed.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    agsellers04agsellers04 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am trying to research this and can't find information on it. Is this for real? Is gear score actually going away and being replaced by some other mechanic? Or is this just hearsay forum chatter?
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    GS is being replaced with Average Item Level. I don't think it will solve any elitism problems. Join the Legit chat channel.
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    11K GS put you in the Binmen category.
    Increasing your gearscore is pretty easy. Do the campaigns, get the boons, rank your enchantment up to 5, get three artifacts, get your artifact main hand and get it to blue, etc.
    11K is the bottom and it is pretty easy to get out of there alone.

Edit: Send me your @handle per PM and i can look via inspect ingame how to help you.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    askopdkapok,

I agree that whatever new metric will only lead to the same results. Some suggestions:

Do the campaigns for the boons.

Make sure your artifact slots are filled. Without spending a dime you can get the level 21 artifact from the artifact quest at the sage, you can get the ravenskull through pvp, and at level 60 you can get the class artifact from Neverember doing the vault of the nine quest. Rank these up as much as possible.

Artifact belts are fairly cheap as well, I would get one and would work on an artifact cloak. Unless you have a really important (to your class and paragon) 4 piece gear bonus, I would get two pieces from one set of t2 gear and two pieces from another. Each of those two piece sets give a +450 to a stat, so that is 800 right there just in bonuses. Likewise a good main/off hand set bonus.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    aulduron wrote: »
    GS is being replaced with Average Item Level. I don't think it will solve any elitism problems. Join the Legit chat channel.

How do you get into this channel? I've had several people tell me this but when I try to join it says I don't have permission.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How do you get into this channel? I've had several people tell me this but when I try to join it says I don't have permission.

You need to apply now because some people were griefing the channel or something , follow this link , fill in the info and your character should be added or sent an invite - http://nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forums
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    miomans0miomans0 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i afraid that the first few week of mod6 people will be confused what the proper average item level for dungeons and will probably request too high
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I heard that gear score was going away and was immediately elated as being back 1 month and I'm already hanging on by a thread again. The gear score epeen issue is the single leading factor driving me from this game. If your new to this game and your stuck at 11k GS you can't find a group for squat. Even in the large guilds I've floated thru, people simple don't wanna spend the time running dungeons with lower gear scores... these kids now days want easy mode fast food everything... looking for a full group of 20K GS to run a dungeon designed for 5 people with 10K GS. Honestly, I don't know how new players can even get to 11k GS.. I was lucky and my nephew gave me a boatload of stuff and AD and I was able to get to 11K via the auction house but my GS has quickly stagnated as I wait in endless queues or trying and navigate the nonstop sea of gold spam in LFG trying to find a group that way.

The dungeon queue is absolutely, abhorrently *worthless*. I've sat and sat and sat and sat in the queues and in the rare instance when the queue does pop there is a 80% chance the group falls apart right away. (I can only assume they are inspecting people's GS and rage quitting) In the rare event your group makes it to the first pull there is a another 80% chance the group won't last the entire instance.

Will this get better in mod 6? Apparently GS is being replaced by yet another metric to which people can measure epeen's by so how will this be any better?

Thx for any info as I sit here on the fence yet again.

Not everyone is horrible and gs orientated, although there is a large crowd who is. Unfortunately, item level won't be fixing this issue, it is just shifting it from one form to another. I recommend either joining NW_Legit_Community or just add me to your friends list, I am more then happy to organise group content for active players who have an interest in the game and couldn't care less about your gearscore.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It won't change a thing. There is no change that will change a thing. You can't mechanically fix social problems.
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Elitists will still find a way to be elitist. When I first hit 60 I was lucky and found the legit channel and community. If it hadn't been for them I would have quit this game because of the same issues the OP describes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Item levels instead of gs only makes the gap between the haves and the have-nots appears narrower, but in reality the have-nots are still the have-nots. It won't change a thing other than adding more confusion to queuing and party forming.
  • Options
    cococyacococya Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The easy fix is to make stats and item level visible for only yourself, the others can inspect only your gear. I don't know why in so much time they haven been willing to make such a small change.
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yea I'm doing all the campaigns I can currently in parallel as well as WoD. I'm hoping I can get to 16k because it seems you can somewhat find groups at 16k.. at least I see a lot of spam in LFG with 16k as the minimum.

I would suggest finding a casual guild to run with. PM me if interested. Our guild is laid back and focuses on having fun rather than worrying about being top in Paingiver.
    charononus wrote: »
    You can't mechanically fix social problems.

LOL - what a great line. Charononus +1 sir.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cococya wrote: »
    The easy fix is to make stats and item level visible for only yourself, the others can inspect only your gear. I don't know why in so much time they haven been willing to make such a small change.

How would that help. That would actually create a worse problem. People would advertise in LFG for a group, then once everyone joined they would inspect you, and if they see your gear is obviously not to their liking they would kick you. That would be even worse since it wastes everyone's time even more and solves nothing about elitism.

The fact is, if you don't like to play with people who discriminant based on gear rating or level, than there is an easy solution, don't join their groups!
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    This exactly. Unless they add an option to hide it from players. But they probably won't.

This wouldn't change anything, entering group content with hidden gear = show or autokick.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    they didn't really get rid of gear score, they just changed the way it's calculated and renamed it.