test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will removing gear score improve the end-game issues?

Comments

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    even if they totally get rid of gear score or whatever number, it takes 3 seconds to look at what you wear.
    i m not an elitist, as long as you have tons of hp and a soulforged i would love to play with you but this does not change that everyone can inspect you and act in consequence.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What I find super amusing to read is lfg chat during dd..."lfxm 19k gs+ pk" really? You know I can solo CN with 16k gs right? Including draco. Oh and I can also run door to door CN solo too. Please explain to me where that 19k gs requirement comes from, you not saving any time at that stage, you just wasting it looking for other 20k morons who have such an inflated opinion of themselves due to gs.
  • Options
    reds351reds351 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What I find super amusing to read is lfg chat during dd..."lfxm 19k gs+ pk" really? You know I can solo CN with 16k gs right? Including draco. Oh and I can also run door to door CN solo too. Please explain to me where that 19k gs requirement comes from, you not saving any time at that stage, you just wasting it looking for other 20k morons who have such an inflated opinion of themselves due to gs.

Spend 10 mins looking to save 5 mins :P
  • Options
    healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    even if they totally get rid of gear score or whatever number, it takes 3 seconds to look at what you wear.
    i m not an elitist, as long as you have tons of hp and a soulforged i would love to play with you but this does not change that everyone can inspect you and act in consequence.

I think they are hoping for the players not to look at the stat screens... but even so, it won't take a long before they find out how strong everybody is, particularly in a pvp match.

Changing gs to item level is just a cosmetic change. It doesn't change the reality.
  • Options
    drezzatdrezzat Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why is wanting people in your group to have relatively equal gear considered "elitism"? You work long and hard to get good gear so you want people in your group to be able to carry their weight, so to speak. I mean it's like saying you're a bad person because at level 60 you don't want to group with level 10s
  • Options
    rotatorkufrotatorkuf Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    drezzat wrote: »
    Why is wanting people in your group to have relatively equal gear considered "elitism"? You work long and hard to get good gear so you want people in your group to be able to carry their weight, so to speak. I mean it's like saying you're a bad person because at level 60 you don't want to group with level 10s

that would be an accurate analogy if level 10s could actually go into level 60 content and complete it...but as it stands, it is invalid

in the examples given, there's elitism going on cause 19k for PK is ridiculous, when it can easily be accomplished with a group of 10ks or less....

the real analogy is "omg, disgusting 11k get out of my game! get to 19k like me as soon when i hit 60, i was NEVER 11k, and you can't complete this dungeon efficiently without 19k! omg ****!"

we were all "scrubs" once, we don't all hit level 60 with ultra l33t gearz...a lot of people are just here to play the game....and it's very playable WITHOUT best in slot, or anything close to BiS

so yesh, the elitism is real, it's unwarranted, it's disgusting...and it's only perpetuated cause of the fact that "GS" even exists
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ...in the case of PK it might be a filter to not get ppl complaining about, erm, taking shortcuts. Those people taking, ungh... ...AFK farming shortcuts all have >19k GS...

:^)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    drezzat wrote: »

That is a terrible example, as it doesn't account for the fact that gearscore, or item level, tells you absolutely nothing about player skill, their build and their stat allocation. For example, if I see a CW wearing the hrimnir set, I automatically know he is doing it to boost his gs and that he cares not one bit about having a decent stat line, where as, another CW wearing 2 of the blue piercing rings of smiting, rings that cost about 200 AD, cares a lot about his stat line. I would rather have the CW with the blue rings in my party then the one with the hrimnir set, as the CW with the blue rings is obviously building their character according to a certain stat line, rather then just inflating their GS. As for how long and hard you worked for your fancy gear, well, my best geared character has 16k gs and I guarantee you that my characters pull their weight more in PVE then 95% of all other characters, regardless of gearscore. In fact, the idea that gear makes you capable of carrying your own weight is a fallacy, as gear is in no way a substitute for a well built character which is played by a skillful player. If you don't believe me, compare:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw9guJoFI-I
    to when akro ran that dungeon on the PWE live stream (Can't find the vod, sorry). Akro had all of the best gear in the game available to him and was playing the same class and yet their full team wiped horribly. So, whilst a bad player in good gear might not be as horrible as a bad player in bad gear, it is certainly no substitute for an average, or good player in bad gear, or even mediocre gear.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    you can roll through all pve content easily with 16-17k , normal to greater enchants and r6/7s on with majority of boons.

Getting to 20k isnt that hard, I have several at that level, but ITS not better to do tiamat at 20k, its better on my DC with 17k and HP vs my draconic templar set , its better with my CW with HV vs my corrupted black ice, its better with my GWF with AoW then it is with my draconic set ect.. I can push all three of those to 20k , but its not BETTER. ITs worse in the end.

Those 20k only channels are stupid imo.

But so is going into tiamat with a barely 10k toon and not at all set up right. Ive seen them, Ive logged them (like really under 1 million total damage, woot, thanks for coming, usually you see them with 9-10 deaths at well) I saw someone last night with under 300k in total damage! Your just wasting peoples time at that point.

Read the encounter, put a bare minimum in, get the right set, do WoD get your artifact weapon (or at least draconic) and a lesser something to really help out. I figure with a purple set and this, that 13-14k is probably a better minimum to have. That not really to do with gear score, just the gear score you will have by stacking those items.

But that's really cryptic s fault, they should have gated it a little harder, making it entry level, when its clearly above that was kind of disappointing.
  • Options
    arsonall82arsonall82 Member Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    answer this question:

level 60 blues with rank 10 enchants slotted will or will not raise your "ave. gear level" (an average of the ilvl of your gear)?

do you think that average gear level will have any impact as to what people look for in a PUG (from your OP, you sound like you only want to PUG, and do not have nor want a guild that solves these problems)

the end result of the change will likely be that people making the group (i.e. the ones that decide who to let in) will have some metric they're looking for, now if YOU made a group, then you don't need to worry about who gets in (unless you're exactly like them and just want a one-way acceptance).

TL;DR: do a little bit of work and be the one inviting, you'll get to make a group, and you can let anyone in or join a guild, which solves the problem entirely.
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That is a terrible example, as it doesn't account for the fact that gearscore, or item level, tells you absolutely nothing about player skill, their build and their stat allocation. For example, if I see a CW wearing the hrimnir set, I automatically know he is doing it to boost his gs and that he cares not one bit about having a decent stat line, where as, another CW wearing 2 of the blue piercing rings of smiting, rings that cost about 200 AD, cares a lot about his stat line. I would rather have the CW with the blue rings in my party then the one with the hrimnir set, as the CW with the blue rings is obviously building their character according to a certain stat line, rather then just inflating their GS. As for how long and hard you worked for your fancy gear, well, my best geared character has 16k gs and I guarantee you that my characters pull their weight more in PVE then 95% of all other characters, regardless of gearscore. In fact, the idea that gear makes you capable of carrying your own weight is a fallacy, as gear is in no way a substitute for a well built character which is played by a skillful player. If you don't believe me, compare:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw9guJoFI-I
    to when akro ran that dungeon on the PWE live stream (Can't find the vod, sorry). Akro had all of the best gear in the game available to him and was playing the same class and yet their full team wiped horribly. So, whilst a bad player in good gear might not be as horrible as a bad player in bad gear, it is certainly no substitute for an average, or good player in bad gear, or even mediocre gear.

Your comment is still really a whole bunch of assumptions. I helped my guild through so many runs that I accumulated a lot of the Hrimnir sets myself and it was just easier for me to equip nine character off of what I had. Stat-wise I'm definitely less efficient, but I still do alright (not as well since the CW changes). So judging me in that group who is just inflating GS would be wrong, as I'm being worse about it (i.e. lazy), but I'm still an effective player just not optimized.

Players need a reason to feel special and look down on others, it's human nature. Just run with the crew that works for you and have fun. That is what this was supposed to be about right, fun? Or did MMOs become like jobs at some point in-between my trips around the world defending your freedom to live and exist so you can play these MMOs.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Probably won't do a thing to change the mindset of set horrible players in the game. They will still check out your gear and kick you based on it.
  • Options
    pancakeattaxpancakeattax Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Sorry to say this is now how things are in public parties, where GS is pretty much your pass. And all ppl seem to care lately is number. Doesn't matter what it is but HOW MUCH.

PlayerA > LFM PK 17k+ GS
    PlayerA > LFM PK 17k+ GS
    PlayerA > LFM PK 17k+ GS

Is not so easy for "a crew" when you are new in game and you don't really know anyone, not everyone plays when you play and in the end...

Everyone needs to start from somewhere eh ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PUBLIC PARTIES.

Public parties ARE WILD WEST.
    You joinin' Johny ? Put yer seat belt on bruh and brace for turbulences.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Sorry to say this is now how things are in public parties, where GS is pretty much your pass. And all ppl seem to care lately is number. Doesn't matter what it is but HOW MUCH.

PlayerA > LFM PK 17k+ GS
    PlayerA > LFM PK 17k+ GS
    PlayerA > LFM PK 17k+ GS

Is not so easy for "a crew" when you are new in game and you don't really know anyone, not everyone plays when you play and in the end...

Everyone needs to start from somewhere eh ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PUBLIC PARTIES.

Public parties ARE WILD WEST.
    You joinin' Johny ? Put yer seat belt on bruh and brace for turbulences.

The thing a love about these GS monkeys in lfg is they are completely trusting if you tell them you meet their GS requirements, more often then not, none of my characters meet their requirements, that doesn't prevent me from lying and saying I do though. For example, my most geared char, my CW has 16k gs. I will often say I got 19.7/20k if a group is asking for a gs like that, as they never bother to check. I have even gotten away with this on my 11k gs tr a few times :p The thing is, at the end of the run, its never me who is costing the party, I am always pulling my weight and so therefor, I have no issue with pulling the wool over their eyes, as their requirements don't account for the fact that some players have the ability to play well enough such that a higher gs is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, it isn't their place to tell me I am not good enough for the dungeon and so I don't have any issue with lying to them in order to get in.
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The thing a love about these GS monkeys in lfg is they are completely trusting if you tell them you meet their GS requirements, more often then not, none of my characters meet their requirements, that doesn't prevent me from lying and saying I do though. For example, my most geared char, my CW has 16k gs. I will often say I got 19.7/20k if a group is asking for a gs like that, as they never bother to check. I have even gotten away with this on my 11k gs tr a few times :p The thing is, at the end of the run, its never me who is costing the party, I am always pulling my weight and so therefor, I have no issue with pulling the wool over their eyes, as their requirements don't account for the fact that some players have the ability to play well enough such that a higher gs is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, it isn't their place to tell me I am not good enough for the dungeon and so I don't have any issue with lying to them in order to get in.

While I do not lie about my GS I see your point.

My most recent example was I was doing a guild run through eLoL. The person who should of been the top overall damage had a GS of 24.8k while I had a GS of 19076. Well at the end I had done way more damage them him by almost 4 million. GS is over rated. Yes we both had P vorps, and almost all Legendaries. Him a bit more then me and his R10s vs my R9s.

So what I am saying is GS is just not a good metric and never has.
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They changed Gear Score because of the new stat curves and level progression, social issues had really nothing to do with it.
    The only way to deal with toxic behavior and social abuse, in this case, is to remove the inspect function from the game.
  • Options
    mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The change to GS is actually quite good. The way your AIL (average item level) is calculated now in conjunction with the new AIL required to queue for epic dungeons will separate the undergeared from the geared. For example, I copied my CW who has all epics, r7's and 8s, a pvorpal, and a legendary belt (and neck) over to ptr and he BARELY passed 1900 AIL. Note that enchants (including weapon enchants) are factored into AIL now.

1900 is the req to get into Epic temple of the Spider. Even Kessel's, a skirmish, required 1700 AIL. So for all of the low GS' complaining about how well built their character is and how skilled they are, that all counts for nothing because you will not even be able to queue for these endgame experiences until you have acquired better gear. My dragonborn, righteous DC who packs one hell of a punch and who wears High Prophet gear was unable to even queue for Kessels as he topped out at about 1600 AIL.

In getting rid of GS, mod 6 is establishing a more rigid gating system for harder endgame content. 11ks and such may still be able to do Tiamat, but until you improve your gear, no matter how skilled you are or how OP you think your build is, you will not be doing true endgame content.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    [...] My dragonborn, righteous DC who packs one hell of a punch and who wears High Prophet gear was unable to even queue for Kessels as he topped out at about 1600 AIL.
    [...]

Simple workaround:
    - Get high end armor, e.g. Draconic Templar.
    - Put that on and queue
    - once the run has started change back to HiPro...
  • Options
    amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Simple workaround:
    - Get high end armor, e.g. Draconic Templar.
    - Put that on and queue
    - once the run has started change back to HiPro...

Having to carry around an entire second set of gear solely to be allowed to play the game is kind of a pain though. What ever happened to games that were willing to let their players fail? You would go into a dungeon, find out you can't hack it via trial and error, get better and come back.
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited March 2015
    gearscore or itemscore is the same to me , now its another problem will enchants give item score ? and what about weapon and armor enchant such as perfec vorpal or soulforge
  • Options
    ehhhhhhwatehhhhhhwat Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2015
    gearscore or itemscore is the same to me , now its another problem will enchants give item score ? and what about weapon and armor enchant such as perfec vorpal or soulforge

Wrong question buddy , question is why do you care for item score , why is it your prime concern ?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The change to GS is actually quite good. The way your AIL (average item level) is calculated now in conjunction with the new AIL required to queue for epic dungeons will separate the undergeared from the geared. For example, I copied my CW who has all epics, r7's and 8s, a pvorpal, and a legendary belt (and neck) over to ptr and he BARELY passed 1900 AIL. Note that enchants (including weapon enchants) are factored into AIL now.

1900 is the req to get into Epic temple of the Spider. Even Kessel's, a skirmish, required 1700 AIL. So for all of the low GS' complaining about how well built their character is and how skilled they are, that all counts for nothing because you will not even be able to queue for these endgame experiences until you have acquired better gear. My dragonborn, righteous DC who packs one hell of a punch and who wears High Prophet gear was unable to even queue for Kessels as he topped out at about 1600 AIL.

In getting rid of GS, mod 6 is establishing a more rigid gating system for harder endgame content. 11ks and such may still be able to do Tiamat, but until you improve your gear, no matter how skilled you are or how OP you think your build is, you will not be doing true endgame content.

And you think this is a good thing how? The old gating system was fine, in case you didn't notice my post on it a while ago, I can go into CN with a 10k gs tr and solo the entire thing including draco and CN itself can be cleared by a full 10k gs team fairly easily if they know what they doing. Making the requirements harder to meet for P4F players is in no way good, it just alienates more of the player base. Instead, what it will end up doing is creating a situation where P4F players like myself, who in all likelihood play a HECK of a lot better then you do, can't enter dungeons as we don't spend anything on the game and so don't have those high up 22k+ chars. This means you will have more failed dungeons, as in places like epic dread vault for example, it doesn't matter how good your gear is, if you are a bad player, you aren't going to finish.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think there are some positives that will come from eliminating gear score, because some of the suboptimal, "artificial" ways of inflating GS are unlikely to work with ilvl (2/2 set bonus, stat stick companions).

There are very brainless ways of getting your GS high enough to attempt content you might not actually be prepared for as a player. If ilvl actually requires you to get better stuff, not just squeeze out some bigger numbers, then... well, I don't know. See how it plays out.

So while it won't fix elitism, it might help with some other issues related to GS.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    amenephis wrote: »
    Having to carry around an entire second set of gear solely to be allowed to play the game is kind of a pain though. What ever happened to games that were willing to let their players fail? You would go into a dungeon, find out you can't hack it via trial and error, get better and come back.

Isnt it just a matter of the new dungeons being designed for lvl 70 toons, and of course any epic lvl 60 stuff, is going to be obsolete by the time you hit lvl 70?
  • Options
    learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    right now i dont see the new system doing angthig good for server
    im using 4/4 teplar and have a 2200 ail this is stupid i all ready am 2x the min for lv 70 cn with lv 60 gear
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Wait - are you talking about a character you copied over from Live, who is wearing level 60 gear, and the requirements for level 70 epic content?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    Isnt it just a matter of the new dungeons being designed for lvl 70 toons, and of course any epic lvl 60 stuff, is going to be obsolete by the time you hit lvl 70?

Yes? Sorry, but I'm not sure I see your point. I was talking about the post where it was stated that one can simply wear a higher level but suboptimal set of gear to get into a dungeon, and then switch gear once they were inside it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    amenephis wrote: »
    Yes? Sorry, but I'm not sure I see your point. I was talking about the post where it was stated that one can simply wear a higher level but suboptimal set of gear to get into a dungeon, and then switch gear once they were inside it.

Well i might have misunderstood you(sorry but English isnt my first language), but I doubt you gonna have problems with being forced to carry a second set of gear, since by the time you hit lvl 70, all your lvl 60 gears have hopefully been replaced by new stuff with a higher item level, which ofcourse nullify the problem
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    djoffer1 wrote: »
    Well i might have misunderstood you(sorry but English isnt my first language), but I doubt you gonna have problems with being forced to carry a second set of gear, since by the time you hit lvl 70, all your lvl 60 gears have hopefully been replaced by new stuff with a higher item level, which ofcourse nullify the problem

...you apparently are a GS-o-holic or have no DC, CW, or SW char. Or there might be new sets in Mod6 with decent enough a set bonus.

I'm still looking for anything in Mod 5 worth getting out of my HiPro, HiViz, or Diabolist gear... ...and that's not for my personal glory, but for the Party advantage!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ...you apparently are a GS-o-holic or have no DC, CW, or SW char. Or there might be new sets in Mod6 with decent enough a set bonus.

I'm still looking for anything in Mod 5 worth getting out of my HiPro, HiViz, or Diabolist gear... ...and that's not for my personal glory, but for the Party advantage!

Huh why am I a GS-o-holic because i assume lvl 70 gear is going to be better than lvl 60 gear??:) The only lvl 70 gear i have seen sofare, was some blue <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> u could buy off the bazaar for ad, which blew everything lvl 60 out of the Water, with among other Things 30k+hp and a ton of power..