What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Control Wizard Cap Raise

Comments

• Options
    wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Currently, Abyss of Chaos seems to put out far more damage than Storm Spell....using only a companion to proc it....

Oh yeah, far more. Definitely needs to be toned down.
  • Options
    angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The new feats should be moved to the 4th tier.
    Currently, you can get the endcap for one path & still put 5 points into the new feats from another.
    As the new feats seem to be intended to have some potency to them (though I doubt the broken potency they currently have), would it not make more sense to ensure someone can't get them from two paths along with an endcap?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The new feats should be moved to the 4th tier.
    Currently, you can get the endcap for one path & still put 5 points into the new feats from another.
    As the new feats seem to be intended to have some potency to them (though I doubt the broken potency they currently have), would it not make more sense to ensure someone can't get them from two paths along with an endcap?

Great point. This would make certain over performing hybrid builds undesirable. A little less build diversity, yeah, but more balance on the other hand.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    wixxgs1cht wrote: »
    Great point. This would make certain over performing hybrid builds undesirable. A little less build diversity, yeah, but more balance on the other hand.

I was trying out a Renegade/15pt Thaum yesterday, and it was just silly. But no idea how silly until the feats are tweaked.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, before they fixed Spell Twisting said build felt just like hacking. Still does but that was just unmatched. Really curios what they'll do about Abyss next.
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback(PVE):
    • Arcane Power Field: A passive class skill that depends on a daily, pretty much insures non-use. While the skill is reasonably powerful, by tying it to the activation of a daily, you make it pretty much pointless. I can take other passive class skills and boost my DPS by 15-40% instead of this.
    • Frost Wave: another passive class skill that depends on casting a daily. I'd skip this as the bad value it represents over other passive class skills. The control boost is nice, but I get more utility from just slotting Orb with 4 ranks, which would boost the durations of ALL my control skills by 20% (before I add in any other control bonuses).
    You only get 2 passive class skills, no reason to waste one on something that can at most can activate once every 15-30 seconds. Unfortunately both of the new passive class skills suffer from this. So nothing to spend points on here.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Only use I see for Frost Wave is for PVP maybe (big maybe).
    I haven't looked at Arcane Power Field damage output yet, but can't see it comparing to SS, CP, EoTS, or even Critical Conflag.
  • Options
    davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: 4 piece Oppressor set bonus
    The spell slotted in spell mastery is not benefitting from the 35% faster recharge speed bonus

I've not tested the other sets.
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    can someone tell me what icy veins is like (pvp because thats all that matters; pve is cake for scrabs)

also when u fire chilling eye is it insta freeze enemy team?

"Icy Veins - When you activate an Encounter power all foes within 15' of you have 1/2/3/4/5 stacks of Chill applied to them. "
  • Options
    vexus99vexus99 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    dodgo wrote: »
    can someone tell me what icy veins is like (pvp because thats all that matters; pve is cake for scrabs)

also when u fire chilling eye is it insta freeze enemy team?

"Icy Veins - When you activate an Encounter power all foes within 15' of you have 1/2/3/4/5 stacks of Chill applied to them. "

I haven't tried it yet, so take this with a large grain of salt. But, I heard it was currently not working as intended. Rather than applying 5 stacks of chill to foes within 15' it was only applying 1 stack ... which was extremely unimpressive.

As you know, the allure of so quickly stacking chill on a TR, HR, GWF or GF made this feat very intriguing. But, at only 1 extra stack ... it's not worth it even for an Oppressor. Hopefully they fix this before it goes live.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bug: abyss of chaos
    3.5k arcane damage? if i remember well the first patch notes supposed to be piercing.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2gv2b1d&s=8#.VOg3nPmsWgM
    deals 150% of the wepaon damage?if i remember well the first patch notes supposed to deal 300% of weapon damage.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=hv7448&s=8#.VOg4QPmsWgM
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If it's being dialed back, that's a good thing.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I didn't see anything in the patch notes, but it seems that Abyss of Chaos damage has been drastically reduced. Which is a good thing. I had ACT running while I did several of the new quests and Abyss of Chaos accounted for about 15% of my outgoing damage. This is a more reasonable damage output. Although it is still a very, very strong for one feat as it was still a larger percentage of my damage output than the Thaumaturge capstone Assailant.

Disintegrate is pretty crazily overpowered right now. Its damage is higher than Ice Knife right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    freeze ability:
    i have tried any tree and i have noticed the targets dont freeze after 6 chills if you fight with aoe powers like conduit icy terrain.targets freeze only with ray of frost.
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    freeze ability:
    i have tried any tree and i have noticed the targets dont freeze after 6 chills if you fight with aoe powers like conduit icy terrain.targets freeze only with ray of frost.

Ray of frost is the only one that actually freezes at 6 stacks.
    Icy Terrain just roots.
    Everything else that applies chill, applies it for its slow effect and to work off powers and feats that require chill.
  • Options
    hallacatthallacatt Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2015
    Ray of frost is the only one that actually freezes at 6 stacks.
    Icy Terrain just roots.
    Everything else that applies chill, applies it for its slow effect and to work off powers and feats that require chill.

Icy terrain absolutely DOES freeze mobs - not just root. The root effect is only on the initial cast. If you hit 6 chill stacks standing in an active icy terrain you WILL freeze. As for anything not Icy Terrain or RoF, chill stacking only.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ASSAILING FORCE:Dealing damage to foes has a chance to grant you Assailant. When you have Assailant your next Encounter power deals 15% of the target's max HP as unresistable damage (max 800% weapon damage). This will only affect one target when used in an AoE. This feat is half as effective when used on players.

ABYSS OF CHAOS: When you strike a foe with an Encounter Power you mark them with Abyss. When an ally strikes that foe they consume Abyss to deal 60/120/180/240/300%(150% after nerf) of your weapon damage. i post that because i saw comparison between 2 different mechanic.
  • Options
    nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ASSAILING FORCE:Dealing damage to foes has a chance to grant you Assailant. When you have Assailant your next Encounter power deals 15% of the target's max HP as unresistable damage (max 800% weapon damage). This will only affect one target when used in an AoE. This feat is half as effective when used on players.

ABYSS OF CHAOS: When you strike a foe with an Encounter Power you mark them with Abyss. When an ally strikes that foe they consume Abyss to deal 60/120/180/240/300%(150% after nerf) of your weapon damage. i post that because i saw comparison between 2 different mechanic.

I can see your point but capstone power should be more powerful than *casual* feat.
    It's even more powerful than the renegade capstone.

but all in all, the problem come from the multiplication of damage effect instead of buff. With Abyss, I can use that don't do any damage or very little, and I will do damage, big damage. It's illogical.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nathyiel wrote: »
    I can see your point but capstone power should be more powerful than *casual* feat.
    It's even more powerful than the renegade capstone.

NOT when you get the 30% crit buff....
  • Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bug; icy veins

Rather than applying 5 stacks of chill to foes within 15' it was only applying 1 stack ...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Most of it are proposition already done. My idea is to improve spell variety in CW rotation. The announced change for the module 6 are in the good direction but it still lack a few things to make things look good.

The spell choice on the mastery slot is good but due to mechanism of the class only a few power are in fact used there as they give much more than other choice.

Conduit of Ice (CoI) - In PvE, the great far majority use it in mastery because it stack chill over the time over a large radius. It's the only AoE chill's stacking that work at distance. The other is Icy Terrain that is used in synergies with CoI.

The problem is with Chill stacking rather than with CoI. Even oppressor don't have a means to reliably built Chill on its targets when there's more than one. And more, there's little way to keep stacking it like CoI does.
    Spell Storm's Oppressor as a little advantage here as Chilling Control feat give them a way quick way to built chill quickly. But what about Master of Flame's CW ?

proposition :
    • change CoI to have a chance (30% ?) to add chill at each tick outside of mastery.
    • change Icy Veins to add Chill around the target of the Encounters spell but reduce the number of stack with distance (5 at melee but 1 at max distance)

Shield - In PvP, Shield is the most used spell in Mastery slot. It's due to its damage reduction buff and pulse. I find it strange that CW have to rely on a spell to survive in PvP situation (and sometime in PvE too). With MoD6 change to Life Steal, I fear that it will be even more important.
    For me, CW survivability should come from control, not damage reduction, life steal nor huge heal pool. CW should be fragile but hard to catch.

proposition :
    • change Shield to only increase pulse effectiveness in Mastery slot
    • reduce Shield damage reduction by half.
    • change Shield pulse to proc when it break at 100% chance on Mastery, at 25%/50% (?) outside of it.
    • change the PvP 2-pieces bonus to give Control bonus and Control resistance

My primary proposition is still to reduce drastically the number of damage effect and change them in damage increase buff. Damage should come from Encounter/At-will/Daily along with things like Smolder/Rimefire. If Assailant or Shatter are ok because they are limited, there's things like Abyss of Chaos or Spell Storm that can be easily abused. And I really don't see the interest of feat like Elemental Empowerment.
    Most damage effect are based on Weapon damage. it means that they aren't increase by stat like power, etc.

proposition :
    • change Elemental Empowerment to increase Arcane/Frost spell damage.
    • change Abyss of Chaos to give a damage buff instead of dealing damage.
    • change Spell Storm damage to be based on the power that proc it but with a maximum.
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Disentegrate

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Disintegrate deals 123488 (117608) Arcane Damage to White Dragonwing.
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Ice Knife deals 105454 (87878) Cold Damage to White Dragonwing.

My ecounter power deals more damage than my daily power, I'm pretty sure something's wrong here.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Once we got a cannon Disintegrate encounter, its damage has been increased by 115% last patch.
    I think it should be -115% instead of +115%.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ​​about the survivability from control powers cryptic give us a choice and this choice is opressor tree.renegade is team buffer and thaymatourge pure dps.so if we want survive through control in pvp we chose opressor tree.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    macjae wrote: »
    Presently, CWs are entirely reliant on using the Shield spell for their survivability, particularly in the spell mastery slot. This is quite boring, as one of the CW strengths is supposed to be the ability to slot an additional encounter power, giving greater variety. Additionally, there is only very rarely an incentive to use the Shield pulse, which means that using Shield on spell mastery is greatly incompatible with the PvP set bonus. Finally, it seems a bit off that CWs should be able to face-tank so consistently well. At the same time, CWs remain one of the most vulnerable classes in PvP, with only SWs dying more frequently, so their overall survivability shouldn't necessarily be lowered.

My proposal would be:
    • Reduce the DR supplied by Shield a bit; take the normal down by 5% and the spell mastery one down by 10%.
    • CW teleport cost should be lowered so they get an additional teleport, in line with DCs and TRs.
    • CW feats used for defensive purposes should be boosted or reworked: Lightning Teleport -- boost stamina regeneration by 2/4/6/8/10%. Brisk Transport -- increases teleport distance by 5/10/15/20/25% on top of the current movement boost. No one uses these feats currently.
    • To give an incentive to use the Shield pulse, making it compatible with the PvP set bonus, remove the added control resistance on spell mastery and give Shield on spell mastery (only) an added control effect when triggered instead; a small stun or daze, allow it to act as an interrupt or silence, or allow a CW to disperse the Shield while controlled.
    • Double the amount of control resistance and control bonus CWs gain from Wisdom (CWs rarely stack Wisdom as it is; the preference is mainly to stack Charisma for the additional crit chance, as the effects of Wisdom are considered paltry by comparison).

Overall, this would give CWs access to several additional defensive options (at a cost, as it would lower their offensive abilities), make Shield overall less of a must-use power, with some incentive to use the active component of Shield more frequently. CWs would also be a bit squishier if caught.

Very nice suggestions! +1

I do not like how CWs are heavily reliant on shield on tab
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Arcane Power Field is now hitting for about 300/hit for 6 hits on a daily activation. That's absolutely terrible, and there's no reason I can think of to even consider even putting points in this power, let alone slotting it.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Bug: Respec Feats and Boons

I used AD to respec my feats and boons. I select all of my feats, then click "Commit Changes." Then click on the "boon" tab to reset those and I get the warning "You have uncommitted changes...". If I go to the boon tab and come back all of the feats are no longer selected.

Basically, I can't select feats now because whenever I leave the feat screen they get re-set. I have to do a full respec to be able to select feats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alewarrior99alewarrior99 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    the Renegade is a great dps .. but with the last talent is more a buffer that a dps ... I think it must be a great DpS .. so I propose to change the effect of the last talent ..

CHAOS MAGIC : Dealing Damage to targets has a chance to apply Chaos Magic to yourself within 50'. When you are affected by Chaos Magic you can be affected by New Chaos Magic. You will be affected by Chaotic Growth , Chaotic Nexus , Chaotic Fury or Chaotic Wind (NEW)

CHAOTIC WIND (or another name) : You Deal 5% additional Damage on targets affected by chill and arcane stacks (for 10 seconds).

Energy Recovery now is a useless talent .. so I propose to change it.

REWORK:

Energy Recovery : The third strike of Chilling Cloud now has 25% canche to give you 10% AP or 5% Crit Sev + 5% Crit Chance.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I have redo my test on the Oppressor tree.

Question: Frigid Wind (Oppressor)
    Did it increase damage as long the target is Frozen or did it increase damage receive for a duration?
    (I think it's for the frozen duration)

Since it's linked to the Freeze effect, it don't work on Control immune target (Boss & Unstoppable like power).
    • In PvE, killing boss is one of the core aspect of the game. Adding a secondary effect for non-player Control immune target would help a lot.
    • In PvP, it work like it should "Time to Disintegrate this one !"
    The good things is that it give a reason to stack control bonus to extend Freeze duration.

This feat promote a bad gameplay.

• In PvE, it's far more efficient to go in the middle of a pack of mob : dropping Icy Terrain followed by Conduit of Ice (on Tab) then Steal time when the survivor unfreeze.
    • In PvP, it work partly good: "you came in melee then died while freezing !" but I finish by rushing to melee just like in PvE for the same reason.
    The biggest issue is the difference of result between distance and melee. At distance, every power is far less effective: less control & less damage. At melee, it's the contrary: everything is frozen and died very quickly. It work good in PvP because of the short freeze immunity system.
    >> I confirm my previous suggestion to centre it around encounter target but to reduce chill with distance from the caster.

Another possible problem is that it promote the use of short cooldown power like disintegrate. I don't think it will go out of control because of the freeze immunity system.

There's a few things that could help making Oppressor really shine:
    • adding "Control"/"not control" in power tooltip.
    • Chilling Control is partly redundant with Icy Veins.
    • Twitting Immolation is partly unattractive as Combustive Action is ignored for Swatch of Destruction.
    • a way to buff other form of control than Freeze could help, like a way to generate Arcane Mastery stack to increase effectiveness of Entangling Force, Repel, Shield and Steal Time.
This discussion has been closed.