test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Appearance & Customization Suggestions

2»

Comments

• dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Actually, I did. For a year. It allows far more option, things nearly impossible and with such degree of customization. Its amazing. But then, again, I like STO more. Idk why, maybe cuz Im not too fond of the comic style of CO. Thats all.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • actausactaus Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2015
    My suggestion:

- Add the beard option.
    - Add smiles (basically what OP suggested).
    - Add more hairs, chest hair etc.. I mean, I'm just being realistic here.

At the end of the day, we all love our characters. And we all care about how they look.
  • prancerhoodprancerhood Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah. The character creation. Honestly? In a few words: port the STO character creation (sliders, hair, face presets) to NW, make a few tweaks and voilà. Dont know what Im talking about? Have a look over there. NW character creation options are good, but for me the STO one is the best Cryptic have done, so far.

i might give it a look, i did used to enjoy Star Trek Next Gen so i might find some enjoyment in STO!
    edited February 2015
    actaus wrote: »
    My suggestion:

- Add the beard option.
    - Add smiles (basically what OP suggested).
    - Add more hairs, chest hair etc.. I mean, I'm just being realistic here.

At the end of the day, we all love our characters. And we all care about how they look.

i guess i understand why the beard options aren't available for elves, as NW tries to be canonically as close to D&D as possible, and i guess D&D elves just don't have beards (don't take my word for it i know very little about actual D&D, i just assume that's how it is. there are beards for humans and dwarves (and maybe half orcs?) tho, if you meant adding more options for those races, i agree 100%)

i wish there were more hair options, or at least for some older hair to be better done, the distinction between some old and new hair is pretty obvious and quite annoying, it has a different texture (this is also VERY notable with beards), there's a hairstyle i want to pick for my re-creation of my character, as it would fit his drawn design best, but the hair option just looks badly done compared to some others.
    edited February 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    You clearly have not seen the one in Champions. The sad truth is, with each new game the character creator loses a little bit. By the next Cryptic game we should be all set for playing stick figures.

as much as i love the CO character creator the complete freedom of it wouldn't fit NW, as they are trying to stay in canon with D&D races.
    I was thinking maybe something like PWI, but with a more restricted in races and proportions (y'know, none of this)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    i guess i understand why the beard options aren't available for elves, as NW tries to be canonically as close to D&D as possible, and i guess D&D elves just don't have beards (don't take my word for it i know very little about actual D&D, i just assume that's how it is. there are beards for humans and dwarves (and maybe half orcs?) tho, if you meant adding more options for those races, i agree 100%)
    Correct. Forgotten Realms' elves, and all D&D Campaign Settings' elves for that matter, do not naturally grow facial hair, male or female.

I would love to see the long dwarven beard style for humans, half-elves, and orcs though. There's no reason a half-orc cannot naturally grow a good beard, as they are part human.

From an older thread:

I'd be happy to have:
    • Blue and Green eye color for Drow.
    • "Big Wave" hairstyle for females. Foundry authors know what this style is.
    • Height slider.
    • Bring the nail slider back.

Here's some of my OLD comments on appearance things:

The drow missing about 1/2 of their source material listed appearance traits. No blue eyes, no green eyes, no yellow hair, skin tone has no purple or blue undertones in any of the skin colors. Hair length is far too short, especially for drow females.

I'd also like a character appearance designer that is as robust as Champions Online and Star Trek Online, within the limits of D&D Specifications for a particular race of course. I do not want to be limited to just a handful of ways to customize my character's appearance (not talking about gear here) or the "most popular" - I would like a full range of choices that is found in PnP Character Generation for appearance. For instance, I may wish to make a 6'6" tall drow that has blue eyes and hair that flows down to the ground, akin to a good drow priestess of Eilistrasee. Or, I may wish to make a short 5'2" Half-Elf that is actually 1/2 drow and be able to make that distinction in their appearance.

Edit - Moderator Note: The prior thread on this topic was still not too old to be brought back. Threads merged.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm currently pretty vexed about how different the characters look in the creator vs in-game. I made a Moon Elven CW a while back, and picked black/black for his hair color options.
    And the moment I get in game my character looks like he emptied a pot of gel onto his head and his hair is more shiny gray than anything resembleming black.

So at first I chalked it up to the lighting in the tutorial, but after running around for while I saw it wasn't just that. For some reason his hair gets over-high-lighted or something. Finally I figured I must've misclicked during character creation and decided to go with one of the appearance change tokens. (I had one lying around from somewhere)
    Things look great in the character creator, black is black... then I hit finish, and ARGH, that grey greasy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'s back!
    Artificer.jpg
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Many of us would. Unfortunately Wizards of the Coast updated the look of all races in 5e. Hal flings, for example, are ridiculously... uh, let us just say 'exponentially unattractive' now.

This ^.

Need some petition to bring halflings back.
    I'm really trying to be polite here but I just can't understand how an art director in a fantasy game makes those changes...
    Have not met a single person that has a positive view on the new halflings..
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    *More facial hair options

*More hairstyle options

*Body Tattoos

*Many many many more fashion items. This area needs a massive improvement. If i want to put my female sw in a black leather bikini I should be able to do that. Also more masculine male shirts/tunics.

*Overall armor has wayyy too much detail and not enough options that are minimalist but stylish/sleek.

These kinds of things are in the kind of game people are willing to pay good money in "micro-transactions" in other areas. Pointless to pay the equivalent of a new car in gear and artifacts and refinement for a character you are not totally happy with the way it looks.
  • lpac98lpac98 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I Know that this has probably been said many times before but....

there should be the Ability to show weapons when in Fashion Mode.
    The fact that you CAN actually fight with these same weapons while in fashion mode shows that there are no issues whatsoever with the animation side of things and the Vast majority of the work is already there.
    I just want to display the weapons while standing still or not fighting......basically what you normally do anyway (in non-fashion mode) :)

I know that not everybody may want this - but surely I can't be the only one?
    I would suggest that they implement it as a tick box in the Fashion Mode window

Something like - Display Weapons X (or untick the X if you don't want to display them). That way people will have the choice, so nothing is forced onto anyone.....

Hell - I would even Pay Zen for this ability - BUT only if it was a one-time purchase ACCOUNT WIDE unlock.......
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I recently started playing STO to see what it was like. Fairly fun game. One thing I noticed though, was that it also outshone Neverwinter in customization by far. Champions Online has the ability to make pretty much anyone you want. Hairs, eyes, belts, masks, capes, gloves, boots. This is the kind of customization that I was hoping for neverwinter. But that never came to light. Playing STO though, you have the option to customize your followers! Your companions who have their own back stories, and aren't just for passive stats, can have their own unique look too. Why wasn't this included in neverwinter at all?

It'd be nice to see some customization come back. Literally even half of what CO has to offer. And being able to outfit followers in purchased clothing would be an excellent addition as well. Plus they'd both increase zen market sales. And wishful thinking that companions actually start having personality and back story... Maybe even personal quests?
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If I remember correctly from Way Back When (tm) the IP Holders had a lot to do with many of the design choices, at least originally. Everything needed to fit into a specific mold based on how a specific Race/Class was "supposed" to look.
    Add into that the fact that the simpler Costumes allow for each individual piece to get more attention, leading, in theory, to better graphics, less clipping, and faster Gameplay (because less stuff needs to render/animate/have special effects/etc.).

Personally, I tend to think it has more to do with a "more trouble than it's worth" attitude.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A small part of me (0.0003%) is hoping the "something unexpected" of Mod 6 is a tailor interface where we can choose to transmute looks we have unlocked.
    Transmutation would cost the same of course, you would only have to bind the piece once in order to unlock the look though.

It could also be a good place to sell dyes.
    edited February 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    Correct. Forgotten Realms' elves, and all D&D Campaign Settings' elves for that matter, do not naturally grow facial hair, male or female.

I would love to see the long dwarven beard style for humans, half-elves, and orcs though. There's no reason a half-orc cannot naturally grow a good beard, as they are part human.

From an older thread:

I'd be happy to have:
    • Blue and Green eye color for Drow.
    • "Big Wave" hairstyle for females. Foundry authors know what this style is.
    • Height slider.
    • Bring the nail slider back.

Here's some of my OLD comments on appearance things:

The drow missing about 1/2 of their source material listed appearance traits. No blue eyes, no green eyes, no yellow hair, skin tone has no purple or blue undertones in any of the skin colors. Hair length is far too short, especially for drow females.

I'd also like a character appearance designer that is as robust as Champions Online and Star Trek Online, within the limits of D&D Specifications for a particular race of course. I do not want to be limited to just a handful of ways to customize my character's appearance (not talking about gear here) or the "most popular" - I would like a full range of choices that is found in PnP Character Generation for appearance. For instance, I may wish to make a 6'6" tall drow that has blue eyes and hair that flows down to the ground, akin to a good drow priestess of Eilistrasee. Or, I may wish to make a short 5'2" Half-Elf that is actually 1/2 drow and be able to make that distinction in their appearance.

Edit - Moderator Note: The prior thread on this topic was still not too old to be brought back. Threads merged.

I think drow actually do have purple and blue undertones, but VERY desaturated and vague. Like, they are there, but you need to like really stare at them to notice lmao (i only noticed bc someone was once arguing with me how drow look just like black (as in skin colour) elves and how that's racist apparently, so i gave every skin tone selection for drow a thorough look and threw the evidence against them back at 'em lmao, that's also when i caught the purplish and blueish shades)

height slider would be wonderful. yeah you can make legs longer or shorter but the change is not dynamic enough, especially if you want a really tall character

compared to other cryptic and PWE games I played, the character creator here is pretty limited. (tho i def understand limits within lore, as you said. i really love how different races have different specifics actually.)
    edited February 2015
    azahron wrote: »
    I'm currently pretty vexed about how different the characters look in the creator vs in-game. I made a Moon Elven CW a while back, and picked black/black for his hair color options.
    And the moment I get in game my character looks like he emptied a pot of gel onto his head and his hair is more shiny gray than anything resembleming black.

So at first I chalked it up to the lighting in the tutorial, but after running around for while I saw it wasn't just that. For some reason his hair gets over-high-lighted or something. Finally I figured I must've misclicked during character creation and decided to go with one of the appearance change tokens. (I had one lying around from somewhere)
    Things look great in the character creator, black is black... then I hit finish, and ARGH, that grey greasy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'s back!

I think what really needs to be done about this is to change the look of the character creator.

The red and dark background REALLY gives the whole thing a different ambient lighting and the character will almost always look different in-game and in 'natural light' than they do in the character creator.

Why not make the starting beach the character creation area? that has sunlight - natural light - but not on an overly sunny day - meaning we don't get extra warm light, but rather neutral instead (if i recall correctly, god i hope i do or else this is pretty silly lmao)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to see a lot more variation possible in body shapes and sizes. When they get around to releasing bards, I'd like to make one visually inspired by Beth Ditto, but even the heavy body only goes so far. And I'd like to be able to make a human that's noticeably short instead of marginally below average.

Then again, perhaps I should fear the clipping issues more body diversity could introduce....
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think what really needs to be done about this is to change the look of the character creator.

The red and dark background REALLY gives the whole thing a different ambient lighting and the character will almost always look different in-game and in 'natural light' than they do in the character creator.

Why not make the starting beach the character creation area? that has sunlight - natural light - but not on an overly sunny day - meaning we don't get extra warm light, but rather neutral instead (if i recall correctly, god i hope i do or else this is pretty silly lmao)

Something like that would be nice indeed.
    It's not just Neverwinter that's guilty of doing this though. Some other MMOs also have character creators where your character looks much different in them compared to in-game (Aion was one of them).
    Artificer.jpg
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They continue to add NPCs and companions with colored/long nails to drive me nuts on purpose.
  • mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sigh, the creation page really does play tricks
    I used an appearance token just to get curly eyebrows out of nowhere :(

Painted nails, shoe fashion and having different options for eye and lip make-up I'm not even gona get into ... not to mention the 'pim' my pet/ride' section I'd like to see

Could be worse tho :)
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I made a GWF and wanted him to have that classic body-builder "V-shaped" upper torso. I fiddled for a while and settled on a result. 20 seconds after washing up on the beach I realised I had made a man with women's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and not particularly subtle <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at that.

So, yes, maybe different lighting would be useful in the character creator...
  • zululazulula Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I'm extremely picky, I am careful to make sure that each detail is exactly what I want before exiting the character customization...and I have one of each class (had to try them all to find my fave to play...which are my HR and SW). I'm quite happy with the results for all. However, I'm not too happy with my female human Hunter Ranger...in game she's constantly (unless I'm on a mount) staring at her feet! Head down, looking at the ground...now that I'd like to change!