test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev Livestream - Paladin 1/30 from 1-2PM PST Q&A Thread

Comments

• kulverinkulverin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My question is this:
    I'm incredibly concerned that GF's and GWF's are being pushed aside to add a class that doesnt fit. It does a lot of things the other classes already do (and in some cases dont do well because they have either been nerfed (GWF) or simply overlooked(GF))
    Exactly!

Begin QQ:
    I'm a GF from day 1 (I was a Prot Warrior for like 8 years in that other game (glutton for punishment, no doubt)) and I'll never give up but FOR F SAKE give us a breadcrumb to look forward to once in a while.
    end QQ
  • rich776rich776 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    will the paladin be like the on in the dungeon dragons were he can sue mace long sword short sword dagger and have the healing poer like the cleric like the prginal paladin of dungeon and sragons like the board game
  • xandyr69xandyr69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    #1) Since we're getting a level cap increase, does the "overflow" XP we have now carry over, go towards the XP for level 70, or do we lost it?

#2) Since level cap will be 70, what about gear? The level 60 gear I just recently acquired, and artifact items (Belt/Weapons/etc) are they pretty much gonna be worthless now? What new gear (artifact weapons/belts/cloaks included) are we getting? Is it really going to be worth my while to continue to try to level up my belt and cloak?

#3) How are powers/feats/ going to play into the level increase? More powers? New powers?

#4) What's the chance of getting a free training token for each character, and preferably, a free character slot?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    xandyr69 wrote: »
    #1) Since we're getting a level cap increase, does the "overflow" XP we have now carry over, go towards the XP for level 70, or do we lost it?

#4) What's the chance of getting a free training token for each character, and preferably, a free character slot?

I think you've not been reading the dev tracker. Most of your questions have been at least partially answered on the forums already.
    1) Current overflow will carry over invisibly to re-appear when you cap out again.
    2) Artifact gear will undergo some changes to make it not instantly obsolete. Changes are not on preview yet.
    3) There are new class features and feats. You can read about them on the forums.
    4) All characters will receive a forced respec.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • meello33meello33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    All companions can gain five more levels after this. It does not change their status but will unlock new skins (so far on Preview).

This is great but what is it going to cost to unlock these 5 levels?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meello33 wrote: »
    This is great but what is it going to cost to unlock these 5 levels?

What's changing is the maximum level companions can attain, for free - so white companions can go to 20, green to 25, blue to 30, purple to 35, and I'm assuming they'll introduce orange companions, who can reach level 40.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • meello33meello33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »
    What's changing is the maximum level companions can attain, for free - so white companions can go to 20, green to 25, blue to 30, purple to 35, and I'm assuming they'll introduce orange companions, who can reach level 40.

I know this is a FTP game and they make all there money via shoppers. but there other games seem to give more candy out then this one. it would be nice to see these new skins be free or they need to make the pet tokens account bound would also help with this issue. or hell sell able..
    edited January 2015
    meello33 wrote: »
    I know this is a FTP game and they make all there money via shoppers. but there other games seem to give more candy out then this one. it would be nice to see these new skins be free or they need to make the pet tokens account bound would also help with this issue. or hell sell able..

I'm not sure what you mean - they are increasing the level cap on all companions, for free. All those white companions will unlock a new skin, the green ones will get another equipment slot, the blue ones will get another skin and ability, and they're adding epic/legendary abilities beyond that. They're not going to suddenly unbind all your companions because they're raising the cap...

We're also getting freespecs, (albeit forced ones), on all our characters.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »

After this move, they REALLY need to cut the cost of upgrading again. Over 2 million. A ludicrous amount for new players PWE is obviously trying to draw in.
    edited January 2015
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    After this move, they REALLY need to cut the cost of upgrading again. Over 2 million. A ludicrous amount for new players PWE is obviously trying to draw in.

I won't argue with you there - maybe make it 100K ADs to go from white to green, then shift the costs forward one tier form there...
  • bhurabbhurab Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I only have a few comments, which may have already been said, just some ideas that came to mind considering previous class balances:
    - (i) the DC was never very good at dps; and (ii) with regen/lifesteal specs on other classes, was never really needed in the group either
    - in response to (ii): perhaps the regen/lifesteal updates will fix this... getting DCs involved again
    - in response to (i): even more so, with the recent update for DCs providing them with an awesome increase in dps, affording them another spot in the group, they no longer drag behind in the dps-table and they can decide on full dps or heal spec.

- (iii) equally, the low dps on GFs resulted in most parties opting for a GWF to tank and also provide dps
    - in response to (iii): the recent updates to GFs revitalised them, adding nice dps, and putting the class back in demand for tanking, better designed for the position compared to the GWF (who would focus on dps / backup tank)

Overall, where both the DC and GF were lagging behind (due to dps issues and the reduced need for healing, etc) they are now once again an important part of most parties (and I do see a lot more DC and GF toons running about.... along with anti-Astral spams that follow). However, it is along this same vein that I was re-considering the OP, and that while the OP is hinted at being both a healer and a tank, I am sure (and I hope) Cryptic will find a good place for them, and that is why I am excited to get to play one soon.

Points to remember:
    - even with regen/lifesteal specs (which are now being changed) the DC has still found a place;
    - even with the GWF initially taking prime spot for tank/dps, the GF has now returned;
    - I am sure the OP will find a place between DC, GF, and GWF.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Ahh Another class for me to test drive then write up a quick summary guide for on skills feats and encounters i hope this plays kinda defferent from the guardian fighter.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OP will be okay or even good as a healer *or* a tank, but a master of Neither. I genuinely suspect that DC and GF have nothing to fear. At least no more than the CW did when SW came along or the TR with the HR came along. There will be some overlap to be sure, but it will come down to play experience as far as the Paladin goes as compared to other classes.

My biggest question (already proffered previously) is how will it be equipped? I would think the Divine Symbol will be on the shield for Sword-n-Board loudouts (how I did it in PnP) - if that will be an option (most likely if there's only one). But will there also be options for two-handed, twin-blades and so on?

I'm sure this and many other burning questions will be answered during the stream.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think at the end every one is asking the same question, what is the role of a paladin on current game? If i see the image it totally looks as u guys are making a cleric/figther instead of a Paladin and meanwhile I did used Keldorn a few time Anomen never fit on my partys =). Say it on other words a toon that can deal good damage, while he tank and have just minor fast healing is one thing, but a toon with low damage, good tankability but u cant ask him to tank everything and do some good heals but if u loose time healing u cant keep agroing and protect ur party it make a useless toon because at the end it doesnt do anything properly.

So asking again u making a Paladin or a Cleric/Figther?
  • wmacman1wmacman1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I can guess that the Oathbound Paladin is a mixture of about 60% Guardian Fighter and 40% Devoted Cleric. How close am I on this assumption?
  • ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am curious to know if the new "end game" starts at level 70 will the campaign zones remain level 60 or will those increase to level 70? Same with the epic dungeons. And does that explain why only "Tyranny of Dragons" campaign appears now on the preview server?

I am hoping that level 60 remains a staging post on the way to 70 rather than gets overhauled, sure that means they get out leveled and ran though quicker.... but that is already happening only with GS rather than level (I cut through them like a hot knife through butter at near 14kGS, there are plenty of 20-24kGS out there).... I like shardanar and dread ring as they are, leveling them up I don't trust the balance to be right and possibly screw up the entire feel of them. Spend the time making new lvl 70 content rather than messing with old stuff that still works as it is.... it will be as valid then as it is now without changing a thing (Power creep had seen to that!)
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Question: Will the NWO OP follow the lines of the DnD OP?
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
    edited January 2015
    tomiotar wrote: »
    So asking again u making a Paladin or a Cleric/Figther?

And hopefully you will have a better idea after tonight (Its at 9pm my timezone). It could be many things but what I hope...
    That the OP has enough heals to be useful but if you want serious healing even he looks to the Cleric,
    That the OP is resilient enough to tank some things, but for serious threat holding and mitigation you want a GF
    (Both those would require 60-70 on cleric and GF to majorly improve those areas for those classes!)
    That the OP is a back-up healer and a reasonable off-tank but its main job to be the best party buffer in the game.

But as said, I look forward to knowing more later today, rather than just speculating.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bhurab wrote: »
    - (i) the DC was never very good at dps; and (ii) with regen/lifesteal specs on other classes, was never really needed in the group either

At this point a well specced Righteous DC is very good at DPS. Combined with the debuffs and healing, they are fantastic.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• lif3marelif3mare Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    All of your Live streams and everything are done when I'm forced to be at work. I'm missing out big time.
    edited January 2015
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    At this point a well specced Righteous DC is very good at DPS. Combined with the debuffs and healing, they are fantastic.

That was the point made, that the DC's ability to DPS was buffed to the point of making them desirable, where it had been lackluster.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    With the upcoming lifesteal and regen changes I'd like to ask:

Will we still be able to solo/duo most stuff without a dedicated healer?

Not needing a healer is one of the most refreshing things about this whole game. It would be a real shame to turn it into yet another MMO where you have to go begging for a healer or put up with an barely adequate healing pet.
  • kulverinkulverin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Q: Why not work on something likely to attract more players, like 10, 25 team-party and content? Another healing/tanking class-- Really??
  • ammosoupammosoup Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    With the addition of another melee class - and one with healing/magic/tanking, will we not see a decline in the need for a GWF or GF? Will they be obsolete?
  • perchloricperchloric Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have been reading through this thread and I am pretty shocked that no one has asked about the new race. I have seen a couple people talk about if it will be a paid race, but not what is it and how is it special.
    So ... What are the stat bonuses? Ability bonuses? etc? :)
    *and sorry if this was discussed elsewhere and I didn't see it.
  • kognitywistykkognitywistyk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What kind of special mechanics will be created for this clas? Some kind of "gods power" or something quite simmiliar to Warior,s mechanics?
    edited January 2015
    Well I was there at the time stated..... as where a whole bunch of other players..... but no stream. Someone suggested that they got the time wrong and it was an hour later..... so we waited, and then a STO started an hour later.... where the heck is the livestream OR at least notification about what is going on!

This is info a LOT of people want, an end to speculation and some actual factual info to work off!
    edited January 2015
    Well I was there at the time stated..... as where a whole bunch of other players..... but no stream. Someone suggested that they got the time wrong and it was an hour later..... so we waited, and then a STO started an hour later.... where the heck is the livestream OR at least notification about what is going on!

This is info a LOT of people want, an end to speculation and some actual factual info to work off!

It's tomorrow.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• doomymdoomym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Since they have put on it their first post ", or other features coming with Module 6" I'll ask here, will there be a gear score balance in PvP. Because as a lvl 60 player with no time to grind all best gear i can't play 1 PvP because all other players have much higher gear score then me. So please add gear score in PvP party menagment.
    edited January 2015
    It's tomorrow.
    Ah feck, that would explain it LOL but a fair number of other folks made the same mistake Doh!