test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev Livestream - Paladin 1/30 from 1-2PM PST Q&A Thread

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
We’ve got a brand-new class coming to Neverwinter PC and we couldn’t be more excited! The Oathbound Paladin will be charging into the fray and we’ll be fulfilling our own oath to have a dev livestream about it!

This Friday 1/30 from 1-2PM PST on our Twitch.tv channel, we'll be sitting down with the Executive Producer of Neverwinter, Rob “Robo” Overmeyer, and getting an early look at the righteous, new class that will come with Module 6: Elemental Evil! We’ll be having some Q&A time where we discuss questions asked by the Neverwinter community. If you have questions about the new class, or other features coming with Module 6, ask them here for a chance to have them answered live on our Twitch.tv channel! We'll also be giving away one Dragonborn Legend Pack for every 500 viewers that join us!

What time is this for you? Click here!

What to find our Twitch.tv Channel? Click here!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Does this mean that the OP should be in this weeks preview patch?
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Will there be more information published about the Oathbound Paladin before the livestream or will that be coming immediately after?

Thanks!
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Oh would be so nice if they'd put in paladin on preview same time or right after that twitch :cool:
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I figure at least another week or two to allow the new level 60-70 and stats testing along with the new zones, etc. Once they release the OP for testing that's where people will flock to. As anxious as I am to test-drive the OP myself, I understand and agree with why they will delay releasing it.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Will Companions get a level increase as well?

Will their be a Paladin Booster pack?
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    djarkaan wrote: »
    Will Companions get a level increase as well?

Will their be a Paladin Booster pack?

All companions can gain five more levels after this. It does not change their status but will unlock new skins (so far on Preview).
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• grottolgrottol Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How will PvP (Player against Player) change with the addition of Oathbound Paladin?

The existing classes have been around long enough to predict their attacks/abilities for PvP, this new class is sure to muck up things for a bit.
  • aeriniseaerinise Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm interested in the desing.
    In Neverdeath Graveyard we saw some "doomguide type" NPC-s and in Helm's Hold some other paladins. The first type is a darker toned priest or cleric and the other looked like a typical paladin but with dual wielded short swords. The oathbound paladin was shown in the preview picture of the module with mace and shield. Does this mean that there will be another way to the paladin class similar to the two fighter classes?
    And I was wondering is there a chance to play with dwarf subspecies in the future like gold dwarf, shield dwarf etc. (and some new long-beard options with them)?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    *The old mage presents a scroll with six inquiries penned upon it, rolls it up and as he hands it to you, he pauses and turns his head slightly, as though listening to someone, then manifests a magical quill in his hand, shrugs then nods as if in silent obedience and pens a seventh inquiry at the end before handing it over.*

We saw an image of a Paladin with a Mace and Shield. So, on that note:
    Q1:
    Will we be able to use swords? I want a Holy Avenger! A paladin just isn't a paladin without his Holy Avenger Longsword! Even if as a transmute. Or will we be stuck with maces only?

In 5th Edition, Paladins can choose between dual weapons, main hand and shield, or two-handed. So on that note:
    Q2:
    Will we be able playing a Main Hand/Shield style paladin then?

On Class Skills (you'll probably just be able to show us this in your abilities though):
    Q3:
    Will they use Dungeoneering Class Skill or Religion Class Skill? (loot nodes)

Since we're getting another divine class, it's time to bring this up again:
    Q4:
    When will we see a major overhaul to the Deities available in Neverwinter to properly reflect our Divine Classes and the shifting timeline into 5th Edition? Perhaps even better integration of the Deity System into more gameplay mechanics too?

Refinement:
    Q5: Could you briefly talk about any plans you might have to address and appeal to players over the growing contemptment of the Refinement System? Such as the monotonous process of refining and ordeals over striving to attain enough RP for the plethora of Artifact Equipments, especially for those with multiple characters.

On 5th Edition:
    Q6: Since Oathbound Paladins are 5th Edition, and so is Tyranny of Dragons, can we expect this to be a sign of a continuing trend to keep Neverwinter up to date with the Forgotten Realms in 5th Edition?

Lastly, but most importantly, as I am compelled to ask by my Goddess -- a peculiar inquiry indeed -- perhaps as a gentle nudge? Regardless, I dare not question her motives, so I shall just simply ask:
    Q7: "Where's Mystra?" ;)
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Will older equipment (white-blue shields in particular) be retroactively available to OP's, or will they remain GF-only, with other equipment put in place for OPs?

Will OPs have a block mechanic similar to GFs?
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Will Paladins follow the current model of having their own drops useable only by them. Or will this class break the mold and share drops with the guardian?
    edited January 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Will Paladins follow the current model of having their own drops useable only by them. Or will this class break the mold and share drops with the guardian?

I'm guessing it will be different. I'm expecting their shields to be worded in such a way that the shield contains their holy symbol, and then to uses maces as a mh.
  • truescramblestruescrambles Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Since Paladins can both heal and tank, which role will be they be put in when queuing?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »

A few unique-skinned items from TRs actually were expanded to be equippable by SWs as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it were ultimately a mix of shared and unique gear.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • shyntershynter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »

We saw an image of a Paladin with a Mace and Shield. So, on that note:
    Q1:
    Will we be able to use swords? I want a Holy Avenger! A paladin just isn't a paladin without his Holy Avenger Longsword! Even if as a transmute. Or will we be stuck with maces only?

This, a million times this.
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Q: Will you ever lower the price for transmuting weapon looks?

Q: Will they share shield and plate armor with Guardian Fighters?
  • s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My question is this:

Since Divine Clerics fill a healing/buff/debuff role; and GF's fill a tank role; where does the Paladin fit in? Will the classes whom this villain encroaches upon be (again) rebalanced to include the new roles? Will we see 6 man dungeons? (dunno where that came from).

I'm incredibly concerned that GF's and GWF's are being pushed aside to add a class that doesnt fit. It does a lot of things the other classes already do (and in some cases dont do well because they have either been nerfed (GWF) or simply overlooked(GF))
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    slambit wrote: »
    Q: Will you ever lower the price for transmuting weapon looks?

I'm about to make a thread in the preview section on this subject. You are NOT going to like my current findings.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • polymemepolymeme Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's the dread question: Will the OP be available to all players upon release of Mod 6, or will it be a zen unlock?
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    polymeme wrote: »
    Here's the dread question: Will the OP be available to all players upon release of Mod 6, or will it be a zen unlock?

New classes have never been in the ZEN store. It will be free to all players upon release.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • mrrb2000mrrb2000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Does the paladin also become a walking sandbag, meaning receiving the blows but can do very low damage, like the GF, only then with heals.

When the paladin (mod 6) comes live, will the gf become obsolete

Are you changing the invocation vault with newer items and maybe with extra stuff for refining, like a black opal every 7 days.
    This helps also with refining a bit. The refining system needs some fixing
    edited January 2015
    mrrb2000 wrote: »
    Are you changing the invocation vault with newer items and maybe with extra stuff for refining, like a black opal every 7 days.
    This helps also with refining a bit. The refining system needs some fixing

I feel like an opal once a week might be *a bit* OP, but I certainly agree that the RP drops should be more abundant and better. As a level 60, if I get a peridot from a coffer or skill node, as I often do, I feed it to one of my many artifacts, and it makes no visible difference. I think the solution might be rather than just give us the 10K opal, maybe up the drop rate on all RP, and up it a bit more on the nicer ones, like aquas and sapphires.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Will they be on par with a DC's healing, and a GF's tanking? They sorta kill the other 2 classes if they tank and heal for ridiculous amounts.

Will they deal loads of damage. The GF will face serious competition if the Paladin can tank very well and deal better damage.
    edited January 2015
    New classes have never been in the ZEN store. It will be free to all players upon release.

And zen race unlocks were never a thing, until they were.
    edited January 2015
    The actual class mechanics of the OP, insofar as how well they tank and heal, I'm eagerly waiting on the livestream to find out. I can't imagine they would match a DC for heals, because it would render healer DC obsolete because they can't tank. And on the flip side of that, They can't tank as well as GF, because GF is THE tank, and it would render GF obsolete altogether, since they can't heal.

What I envision in the OP is a support class: Some tanking, some healing, some buffing, maybe some DPS. Not the best at any of them, but nobody else can do all of them.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Actually, they were, in a sense. A sense that zen=/=paid. The game launched with Hero of the North Pack Race, Menzoberranzan Renegade. The free drow didn't come for 90 days later. This was all upfront and detailed on the site and forums when the game launched from Open Beta. We even knew this back in Alpha.
    edited January 2015

You mean like they were when the founder pack was announced for drow and mezobaren renegades? (yes I know I spelled that wrong, just not worth looking up the spelling.)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I foresee OP's equipment going 2 routes: Share the main hand/off hand w/ GFs, or have 1 item be a "mace & shield" and the other be some sort of holy symbol - kind of like how HRs get a bow and pair of blades. I'd love to know which they're going with.

How will OPs fit in, since we already have DCs and GFs? Will they have a bit of tanking and a bit of healing/support? What steps are being taken to ensure that they don't supplant GFs and DCs as desirable on teams?

Since the unveiling image showed a shield, is it safe to say that OPs will *not* get a run/dodge ability? If so, will their block be as good or worse than a GFs? Will it just be a copy-paste of said ability, or will it have its own mechanic? What about the attacks you can use while blocking? Will they be shared as well, (I hope not)?

Will OPs wear plate or chain, (iirc the image looked like plate)?

Will OPs have powers that center around them, or will they be enemy or location-based instead?

Anyway, I eagerly await more details on this class!

EDIT: Thinking on it a little more - if OPs couldn't attack while blocking, that would give GFs a leg up on them.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am curious to know if the new "end game" starts at level 70 will the campaign zones remain level 60 or will those increase to level 70? Same with the epic dungeons. And does that explain why only "Tyranny of Dragons" campaign appears now on the preview server?
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am curious to know if the new "end game" starts at level 70 will the campaign zones remain level 60 or will those increase to level 70? Same with the epic dungeons.

I would hope so. Why force people to grind level 60 areas.