Install Arc
Options

unreasonable charges

2»

Comments

• Options
    sugarliessugarlies Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited January 2015
    There shouldn't be a steep price on things that directly affect gameplay. The bigger MMOs have only symbolic costs associated with respecs. That's because people tend to play longer and have fun when they can try out new things or change things to feel better about their character.
    As a side note, I won't reroll my main with these prices. So what if I'm a tank with high wisdom, intel and charisma (I'm talking about base values, not the points alloted after you can actually see what those stats mean). I thought those stats mattered like they mattered in DnD RPGs like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate etc and the description at character creation seemed to say so as well. Yeah I should have read up on guides before I started playing the game, right?
  • Options
    w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    The retraining tokens from Winter Event are Account Bound from the Starlight Parcels, unless that parcel or token was from the Simril Gifts.
    Ah, maybe that's what happened. It was a disappointment anyway, it was the nicest thing I got and it was on the wrong character.
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sugarlies wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a steep price on things that directly affect gameplay.

It doesn't directly affect gameplay at all. You made less than ideal choices when learning the game but your character is still capable of greatness.
    I think free respecs would be a mistake. Decisions made during character development are part of that character and should not be changed frivolously imho.

You are obviously not happy with that but there are lots of ways to respec. In decreasing order of practicality:

1. Pay real money.
    2. Earn AD in game.
    3. Roll a new character and enjoy levelling it.
    4. Wait for your class to be reworked and a free respec given (OK, not guaranteed and could be quite a wait...)
    5. Wait until next Christmas and earn a few respec tokens. (If I could give you one of mine I would. I have more than I will ever use on one particular toon.)
    6. Complain on the forum and expect it to magically change.

But take a step back and look at your toon. It's fine. Play it. Love it.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    It doesn't directly affect gameplay at all. You made less than ideal choices when learning the game but your character is still capable of greatness.
    I think free respecs would be a mistake. Decisions made during character development are part of that character and should not be changed frivolously imho.

(SNIP)

But take a step back and look at your toon. It's fine. Play it. Love it.

This might be an almost valid argument in a game where the tooltips were in any way correct. However, once you know what you're doing, you'll realise that this isn't the case in Neverwinter. You actually need to respec a few times (preferably on preview initially) to divine how powers actually work and what the interactions are.
  • Options
    phrendonphrendon Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There should be a quest that rewards a free respec token. It should require a team, and each team member earns one upon completion. If you are powerful enough to solo it, then you don't need to respec. The respec token earned in this quest should be BoP so that one strong character cannot mail to the ones that actually need it.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I earned 8 bound tokens and burned one already.. each will be precious until next year and hopefully not to many changes.

My biggest thing is this.. anytime there is a massive change not just a (i want to try something else) then thats not really player driven. To make those changes and not give a free respec isnt reasonable, since its gated.

Frankly , Ive played many mmos where I would switch 4-5 times a day!

My loremaster in lotro would be yellow raids , blue for 3 mans and solo and red for 6 man groups (btw , to this day, NO class has been quite as fun as a full blue loremaster! BOG monster for the win!, before I quit I had every pet on mine.)

Sometimes you just want to switch up for fun and I never liked the aspect of this game that gates you out of that. Preview not withstanding, its not like you can jump on preview and do pvp matches, dds and tiamat. You can play around with test dummies, but the rest is difficult to find.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    silverkelt wrote: »
    My biggest thing is this.. anytime there is a massive change not just a (i want to try something else) then thats not really player driven. To make those changes and not give a free respec isnt reasonable, since its gated.

Every time they have made massive changes to a class, they've given a full respec or a feat reset.

And no, "nerfing" something doesn't count as a "massive change" to them.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Every time they have made massive changes to a class, they've given a full respec or a feat reset.

And no, "nerfing" something doesn't count as a "massive change" to them.

This.

The first time they tinkered with class mechanics (feats and powers) they gave most (not every class) a free respec token. I suspect this was because of the tech at the time. Now they are able to just 'reset' heroic points, paragon points, and power points independently. And since they have been able to do that I have observed the only time they do do that is when there are enough changes that it actually affects game-play.

That is to say:
    New paragon path? No.
    Nerfing or buffing of any area? No.
    Literally changing the way something works? Yes. Because it actually *breaks* game-play. This is the only time they should be expected to give players the opportunity to respec at all, and then only those parts that become broken. And that's exactly what they do.

And this is how it should be. Frankly I was surprised to see so many respec tokens being flung about during the Winter event (which I think is awesome). However, respecializing your character is not, should not be a freebie when the company *must* generate revenue somehow to pay the Devs building the game we all get to play for free.

YOU don't go to your day job and work all day for free, do you? Why on earth should we expect anyone else to do so?

Respec aspects of the game are (and should be) considered 'cosmetic' or 'convenience' items - how you spec your character does not affect game-play by that much. Only min-maxers are finicky enough to feel that it can be a detriment to their game-play (and there's nothing wrong with that) - my point being: if it's THAT important to you then pony-up the Zen, either buy it with cash or earn enough Astral Diamonds to convert it.
  • Options
    kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    windquake wrote: »
    Your char stats are the same as selecting a race with racials. If you do it right you wont need to respect that- if you do it wrong you need to pay. Be happy for 1500zen which you can even buy for AD, in wow you need to pay 20€ for that.
    Even though in game respec is better in wow
    WoW respec - take 60g max if you respec many times in row ( you can make over 100g per one dung run)
    NW respec- take 78k ad (3day refine..)

WOW- where you pay $15 per month before you can play.Yes I remember the Dungeon runs, with someone who said you can get a load of stuff from them. After they heard me talking with someone else about lack of stuff.

To the Op,
    Champions a cryptic game is Subscription optional, you can retcon(change skills/powers) ingame for currency. It Costs zen to change class.
    Only free retcon tokens are to subscribers. (except for major power changes)A subscription perk. You get them at 100, 400,500,600 ,700 and 800 days.
    F2p don't get them.
    Neverwinter is an entirely F2p game,

so , how many times are you changing your character?
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i really think its time you did away with real money respec token 300 zen is £6 every time i want to try something new

I'd also like to reiterate that a respec doesn't cost £6. It costs 300 Zen, which can be purchased via in game currency, or short-cutted with real money. So just like ANY other MMO out there, you have an in-game cost for respecing your character.

How you build your character SHOULD matter. It shouldn't ever be something that's permanent, but it shouldn't be a trivial decision that lets people completely rebuild their character on a whim.

So I do disagree with you. You SHOULD have to pay to respec your toon.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    it is unreasonable to charge real money to re spec your toon i have never played a game that dose that

That in itself could be aguably ok, but not when from one module to another, an opti build routinely becomes unplayable.
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If it's a new paragon you should create a new toon anyway. For me it's like changing class. You can not do it.

God no. With how the rp system works I would never make a new toon for a new paragon and discard all that work. And there is far too much grind for alts.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    no no asking for a free respec but like other games use INGAME currency gold say so i dont have to use real money you may have it to waste i have not
    You can use in game currency. It's called the Astral Diamond Exchange.

This, pretty much.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    cyberwolf516cyberwolf516 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    I'd also like to reiterate that a respec doesn't cost £6. It costs 300 Zen, which can be purchased via in game currency, or short-cutted with real money.
    thats ok if you have time to farm AD and run dailys as i said im a fall time carer and i dont have time to grind my life away to respec and it dose cost£6 as i have bought them before and guess what itcost me £6

everyday i see streams of ppl complaining about the economy in the chat until you post it on here then its the same old story. the people that have been playing since beta you can farm this you can farm that your just crying your lazy. there is nothing wrong with the way it is. REALY if you can see how the overpricing in this game is making players leave then. this game is never going to grow passed what it is now a stop gap until something better comes out.. and that is trully a shame
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I seriously doubt that the cost of a respec is the one single factor that is killing the game. Honestly, while I consider some things in the Z-store over priced. Respec's, any of the 3 various options, arn't one of them.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    thats ok if you have time to farm AD and run dailys as i said im a fall time carer and i dont have time to grind my life away to respec and it dose cost£6 as i have bought them before and guess what itcost me £6

everyday i see streams of ppl complaining about the economy in the chat until you post it on here then its the same old story. the people that have been playing since beta you can farm this you can farm that your just crying your lazy. there is nothing wrong with the way it is. REALY if you can see how the overpricing in this game is making players leave then. this game is never going to grow passed what it is now a stop gap until something better comes out.. and that is trully a shame

It's not hard to farm at all. That's not an untrue statement. You can farm the AD you need day to day through dailies and invokes--just don't expect to have it all at the snap of a finger. However, there will simply not be a way to respec cheaply at will. And there shouldn't be.

There are many others with "full time careers" that also have the time to scrape together a few AD; they also understand that it's not going to come overnight. If you feel the need to respec on a near-daily basis or on a whim...man, I'm not sure what to say about that.

Lemme also ask something....about how much does a cheap lunch in the UK cost? Because in US dollars a respec is three bucks...hardly worth complaining about. Less than the price of a fast-food value meal.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Well considering that 150,000 AD is a fair price, I think you are just being lazy. Yes it's not free in ingame currency. Yes you need to farm for it. Guess what I see wow and it's 60g were mentioned earlier, back in previous versions of wow before everything including gold drops got powercreeped up that was several days farming for a new player that didn't have resources. That's pretty much the same thing as it is here. I'm not even rich by this games standards and I pull in 1M AD a week. At least you have the option to pay if you don't have time to play due to your career.