test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will you play on XBox or PC

eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
When the XBox version of Neverwinter is released, will you play on PC or XBox or Both?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Both for me. That is, once I get an XBOX One! Hopefully in time to Beta Test! I have a 360 at the moment. :(

I know my nephew will be playing only on the XBOX. He loves his XBOX One deeply and his PC can barely run Neverwinter.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    When the XBox version of Neverwinter is released, will you play on PC or XBox or Both?

PC, and only PC.
  • circle33circle33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Xbox will bring in more and more of the underage crowd. Under 12. Imagine learning you're playing the game with 6-11 year olds. Adults talk in voice chat, can't rely on their parents to set up the game so the kids dont have voice chat enabled or any other stuff that could be bad for kids. So we're going to turn into their glorified babysitters so their parents can enjoy quiet time. No thanks.

Will these people running this game start to actually see people as human again over dollar signs?
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Why both....? Isn't the grind of one enough? You life pain and suffering?
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Why both....? Isn't the grind of one enough? You life pain and suffering?

While I won't be playing on a console because I won't buy one. The grind wouldn't be that bad. But I can see people fearing it.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
  • cxyencxyen Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I wonder how ppl are going to deal with tiamat on console?
    25 ppl on voice chat?

that will be fun to watch lol

then again, it does sounds interesting...
  • hughwoatmeighhughwoatmeigh Banned Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    PC Master Race
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I only just picked up an Xbox 360 a short while ago, (mainly for fighting games), and do the rest of my gaming on the PC. I have no intention of getting an XBONE, and simply prefer a mouse and keyboard for MMOs. I hope the launch goes well and is successful, but it is of little interest to me...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    RPGs and consoles for me are like oil and water, they just dont mix. Consoles are for Tekken - Heihachi Mishima Wins! :D
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think I'm just beginning to sense a pattern of some kind here.............

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    As far as I am concerned an XBox is a want to be computer which is already five times the cost it should be for five year old technology...

However I do appreciate that it will be an option for those who like fake computers for some reason.
  • shadevpshadevp Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Playing an MMO on a console is just a joke.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As far as I am concerned an XBox is a want to be computer which is already five times the cost it should be for five year old technology...

However I do appreciate that it will be an option for those who like fake computers for some reason.

^this :D

I'm less happy about Cryptic's resources (that we all know, by the known bugs list getting bigger every day, aren't that great to start with) being now split over 2 different releases.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Show me a build for 5 times less.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    cxyen wrote: »
    I wonder how ppl are going to deal with tiamat on console?
    25 ppl on voice chat?

that will be fun to watch lol

then again, it does sounds interesting...

I would love to video and/or voice record 25 people during a failboat Tiamat run. I sometimes switch zone chat on during Tiamat to watch the rage.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    frishter wrote: »
    Show me a build for 5 times less.

It wasn't meant to be literally. Old parts actually tend to get more, not less, expensive because they basically become limited resources. There's very few people who want them but when they do they don't have very many options since they are no longer manufactured so they tend to be just as if not more expensive than modern computer hardware.

This is why you don't exactly find a lot of people selling low priced computers like used cars.

However if you put a realistic price tag on the five year old computer specs that the XBox One boasts it's not worth the current price tag at all when compared to the performance a real computer would give for the same amount of money.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    doing the error once is ok, doing it twice is stupid.
    Pc only
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Right now the poll is bound to say "PC PC PC" but it will be interesting to do it again in a few months.
    It's a shame we are not going to be able to play on the same server as the XBOX. A big injection of new players would liven things up a bit.

I've owned consoles since PS1 but the new gen consoles are the first generation I will not be buying. Consoles have lost their BIG advantage over PCs. You used to buy a console game and get a finished, fully debugged game that ran (almost) seamlessly without big downloads, installations, updates and fuss. That is no longer the case and both the Sony and Microsoft networks are now very restrictive and controlled so I've put a mid-range gaming PC together for way less than those consoles with the advantage that it is upgradable. I'll also be avoiding the Steam box like the plague, assuming it ever makes it to market.
    edited January 2015
    Indeed Henry, since we're all already PC gamers so this poll has a completely predictable outcome of an outstanding majority of "PC, PC, PC." If anybody thinks this poll will even begin to make PWE question the decision to multi-platform then I assure you it won't.

The only thing which it shows are people who own both systems and are willing to use both or might switch over to the XBox if for no other reason than to get better controller support.

And I agree on the same server deal. I have always considered it annoying and lacking any purpose to not permit crossplatform interactions. Players should be players regardless of which system they use. Especially since XBox is owned by Microsoft they really shouldn't be hiding behind any proprietary device or code deals.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Indeed Henry, since we're all already PC gamers so this poll has a completely predictable outcome of an outstanding majority of "PC, PC, PC." If anybody thinks this poll will even begin to make PWE question the decision to multi-platform then I assure you it won't.

The only thing which it shows are people who own both systems and are willing to use both or might switch over to the XBox if for no other reason than to get better controller support.

And I agree on the same server deal. I have always considered it annoying and lacking any purpose to not permit crossplatform interactions. Players should be players regardless of which system they use. Especially since XBox is owned by Microsoft they really shouldn't be hiding behind any proprietary device or code deals.

i still dont get why russian play on a different server... is there a known reason?
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Meh, the only good upcoming online game for consoles is Dragonball Xenoverse. I'll pass on Neverwinter.

edited January 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    i still dont get why russian play on a different server... is there a known reason?

As stated in every "I want to blame server location for hardware issues" thread: legalities.

The only reason the company will create a separate server for a region is if the laws of that region prohibit the use of the international server for some reason. As of now Russia and China are the only such regions which NW is/will be hosted in.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It wasn't meant to be literally. Old parts actually tend to get more, not less, expensive because they basically become limited resources. There's very few people who want them but when they do they don't have very many options since they are no longer manufactured so they tend to be just as if not more expensive than modern computer hardware.

This is why you don't exactly find a lot of people selling low priced computers like used cars.

However if you put a realistic price tag on the five year old computer specs that the XBox One boasts it's not worth the current price tag at all when compared to the performance a real computer would give for the same amount of money.

Sure, but I think a lot of people or too harsh on other platforms. Consoles have quite often sold near cost or for a loss like they did last gen. Of course with a PC you get a lot of extra customisation and you can't please everyone. That's why we have a choice of different platforms to suit our own needs. Plus cpu and gpu technology progression has been pretty poor over the last few years. I think they definitely have a fair market, although the XBO could've probably done with a little higher boost since some games have to play at 720p, and it's launch price was too high compared to the ps4. Though nintendo seem to be pushing it on the value side of late imo.
    henry404 wrote: »
    It's a shame we are not going to be able to play on the same server as the XBOX. A big injection of new players would liven things up a bit.
    Honestly, it's the best thing for them. They'd start off on an even playing field from everyone else having not suffered from an exploited economy twice. They'd get bored out of how easy it is so fast if they had our high levelled players helping them out. It'd also make tiamat much worse for us. Pvp would be horrendous for them. On the plus side they have 1 configuration to test for so there's less variables that can go wrong to account for. On the minus side, they didn't properly test the 2 dragonborn races and a whole lot of other things so I don't hold out much hope. I do hope cryptic gets what they deserve. Whether it be a miraculous change for the better, or sinking due to neglect.
    edited January 2015
    You are arguing just to argue now, aren't you? :)

Read my last line. Stop trying to pick fights.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015

They most certainly are not old parts, quite the reverse. Yes, the CPU is rubbish- a low power AMD thing. It combines the worst aspects of low voltage/restricted TDP CPUs with AMD's legendarily ropey single thread performance, but it's a very modern part. To suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.
    edited January 2015
    They might be made in the factory today but they are the technology from 5 years ago.

I don't care what you want to call it. It's old. Five years ago if you were to buy a mid grade computer you would have gotten the XBox One. Today if you were to buy low end computer parts you would get something multiple times as powerful. It smells and quacks like a duck. You can call it a swan if you want to.

It's old junk in a new shell. If you like the system for whatever reason, fine. I'm all for the game going to XBox One for that crowd. But it is what it is.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    They might be made in the factory today but they are the technology from 5 years ago.

xbox-one-soc-640x480.png

The eight core power gated design, designed originally for tablet and compact use then heavily customised, is every inch a modern chip. Five years ago, an x86 SoC of this type and envelope simply didn't exist. Don't assume that just because it has a recognisable instruction set that it's in any way architecturally similar to a five year old AMD x86 part.
    On the SoC, there are many parallel engines - some of those are more like CPU cores or DSP cores. How we count to 15: [we have] eight inside the audio block, four move engines, one video encode, one video decode and one video compositor/resizer.

The audio block was completely unique. That was designed by us in-house. It's based on four tensilica DSP cores and several programmable processing engines. We break it up as one core running control, two cores running a lot of vector code for speech and one for general purpose DSP. We couple with that sample rate conversion, filtering, mixing, equalisation, dynamic range compensation then also the XMA audio block. The goal was to run 512 simultaneous voices for game audio as well as being able to do speech pre-processing for Kinect.

(from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-complete-xbox-one-interview )
    edited January 2015
    Doesn't matter. It is what it is.

An XBox and PS4 is an overpriced for the performance of a five year old limited functioning computer. The end.

Whatever nitpicking you want to do on the exact species of computer is not really up for discussion in this thread.
  • nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would love to play neverwinter on xbox one. I currently own a xbox 360 and love playing games with game pads. I enjoyed diabolo 3 very much on xbox. BUT before i spend money on a xbox one i will buy myself a new computer. Or try to make my 360 gamepad work with my Computer.
  • zazaajizazaaji Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2015
    Probably primarily Xbox for me.
    Why? Many reasons that I think are good, but I see I am currently the only one to vote Xbox, and another vote for Both.

Well, if you decide to check out the Xbox version too, feel free to share your gamertag with me, it's looking awefully lonely for me and anyone else that will likely primarily play it on Xbox.