test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Needed: AFK Penalty for Tiamat

myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvE Discussion
First off, let me say that I've only attempted the Temple of Tiamat five times...and each time a pathetic, dismal failure. The one common feature I've seen in all these attempts is this: After the first go-round with the heads, toons start gathering in the campfire area, refusing to participate further. On my first of two attempts today, every head but white was near death going into the final round...and there were not enough people active in the zone to kill the white head and survive its breath, because at least 3/4 of the participants were AFK for one reason or another.

There should be a penalty attached to this behavior, similar to the penalty for leaving a PVP match early. Maybe a timer could count down once you either flee to the campfire (or recover consciousness there) and, after thirty seconds of not entering the combat zone, a penalty is attached that prevents you from entering the temple for a day. It's frustrating to have read the guides, to know how to do one's job, and to be betrayed by people who simply give up.
Post edited by myles08807 on

Comments

• Options
    jwmousejwmouse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 52
    edited December 2014
    myles08807 wrote: »
    First off, let me say that I've only attempted the Temple of Tiamat five times...and each time a pathetic, dismal failure. The one common feature I've seen in all these attempts is this: After the first go-round with the heads, toons start gathering in the campfire area, refusing to participate further. On my first of two attempts today, every head but white was near death going into the final round...and there were not enough people active in the zone to kill the white head and survive its breath, because at least 3/4 of the participants were AFK for one reason or another.

There should be a penalty attached to this behavior, similar to the penalty for leaving a PVP match early. Maybe a timer could count down once you either flee to the campfire (or recover consciousness there) and, after thirty seconds of not entering the combat zone, a penalty is attached that prevents you from entering the temple for a day. It's frustrating to have read the guides, to know how to do one's job, and to be betrayed by people who simply give up.

I agree as I have had the same problem. Also there shoud be a GS limit set for this epic like 15k. Any lower and a person just dosen't do enough dmg to even help any.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jwmouse wrote: »
    I agree as I have had the same problem. Also there shoud be a GS limit set for this epic like 15k. Any lower and a person just dosen't do enough dmg to even help any.

Agree on some kind of afk penalty, not sure on specifics. You are so wrong however on the gs limit. At most 13k is needed, even though the rare 10kgs player could do enough damage.
  • Options
    malfoirmalfoir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    --.snip--.

Im done with that Tiamat allready, AFK penalty is is bad idea because sometimes instance is so badly bugged that you cant even click "respawn now" so it can look like you were AFK, but truth is that your game is frozen.... and it happen with lowest grphical settings + mip 1....

..so how you make difference "bugged game client" and "AFK player"? You cant because 75% AFK on campfire are just "frozen game client" and 23% are just "frustrated players"... 2% IDK what they do, ;).
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    malfoir wrote: »
    Im done with that Tiamat allready, AFK penalty is is bad idea because sometimes instance is so badly bugged that you cant even click "respawn now" so it can look like you were AFK, but truth is that your game is frozen.... and it happen with lowest grphical settings + mip 1....

..so how you make difference "bugged game client" and "AFK player"? You cant because 75% AFK on campfire are just "frozen game client" and 23% are just "frustrated players"... 2% IDK what they do, ;).

Not to mention, you can easily keep yourself out of afk by just jumping or moving a couple times. The instance only lasts 20 minutes and the afk timer is like 15, so they would need to majorly rework it, and again, people would just come back every X minutes, jump, then go back to youtube.

The solution is, groups and raid groups. There is a reason every game with raids lets you pr-eform them. They are starting to take their motto of "Avoid, at all costs, any concepts that have been used previously in other games" to new heights. Either that, or they know its just to easy to do with a preformed group (a good preformed raid would be able to defeat her in 1 round unless she bugged).

Heck, I'd even pay ZEN to be able to form a raid group for it...and I'm a cheap SOB.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Heck, I'd even pay ZEN to be able to form a raid group for it...and I'm a cheap SOB.

Don't give them any ideas. People shouldn't have to pay for stuff that should already be included.

Anyway I have afk'd myself when I know for certain it's not going to work out (not that many). No point in wasting my time, especially since I can't play with guildies or friends. If I did, then I'd feel more obligated than wasting my time for the 10-12k gs'ers that think it's enough. Or for those that don't have a clue. An example of when I'd afk is when zerging and the green head isn't even close to going down. There's no way to catch up.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    What if they move or jump every 10 minutes? Wouldn't that negate this?
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Eh, only lukewarm on this idea.

Usually I would support it wholeheartedly. But due to the sometimes extreme lag, some people might be unable to do anything for several minutes at a time. Happened to me the other day, quite inexplicably - I was dead and couldn't release for about 4 minutes. Never happened before, but I expect it has likely happened to other people.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    malfoir wrote: »

You know I forgot about all the bugs. AFK penalty can't happen till the bug situation is solved.
  • Options
    malfoirmalfoir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    You know I forgot about all the bugs. AFK penalty can't happen till the bug situation is solved.
    ..hmmm, true that, if that so called "pugs_problem" is solved, then teams are like "premade", then there is no need for AFK -penalty because players communicate and tell "my game is frozen" via teams speak or raidcall (many guilds use communications like that)...

...what if they solve primary problem first so no need make AFK penalties or some limits for GS... mmmkay?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    verdonix1 wrote: »
    Then it never will... :( Just wiped AGAIN due to 10k GS players with rank 5 enchants and no armor or weapon enchants driving the cry baby elitists out of the door... 11mins left on the clock and we only had 17players in instance, not one above 11k .... THAT IS getting old.

How many of them were GF's or GWF's standing on top of the clerics? :D

• Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    \The solution is, groups and raid groups. There is a reason every game with raids lets you pr-eform them. They are starting to take their motto of "Avoid, at all costs, any concepts that have been used previously in other games" to new heights. Either that, or they know its just to easy to do with a preformed group (a good preformed raid would be able to defeat her in 1 round unless she bugged).

Agreed. I've never played a MMO where you are forced to enter a "raid" with random people. In my opinion Cryptic, as a company who develops games professionally, should be very ashamed of the state Tiamat "raid" is in right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    LOL, I am a GWF.... and you CAN stand near the clerics... as long as you have aggro on the mob!!! The breath does not hurt her... as long as she is standing, she is working..... When the mobs spawn they auto aggro to them... especially the Erenyes (Sp??) ... you need to stand on them to get them off, then you move away if you can with them...

I know that you can NEAR them, but not on top of them! Other day had a GF and GWF working in tandem to draw them onto Linu - it was awful. Using come and get it as they spawn works wonders. :)

• Options
    runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I normally would support a AFK penalty, but not this time. The game has crashed four out of my twenty runs. I don't want to be kicked for something that wasn't my fault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    learch123learch123 Member Posts: 514 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014

I also agree with this and also strongly belive a min gs is needed of say 13k . 13k gs is not hard to get but it weeds out some of the really new players .At the verry least the devs should set a combined min gs so that if a 10 gs joined it took a 20k gs to off set it
  • Options
    ivars70ivars70 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Agree on some kind of afk penalty, not sure on specifics. You are so wrong however on the gs limit. At most 13k is needed, even though the rare 10kgs player could do enough damage.

Completely disagree
    They can't do damage because 80% of all time they are dead.
    Why devs ruin the game, soon all zones and instances except Well of Dragons will be "dead".
    Just level till 60, buy some stuff in AH and go to The well of Dragons and Temple of Tiamat.
    I know much 15-17k people who stopped game, 1-2 weeks with those epic 10-13GS heroes in Temple and they gave up.
    Maybe that 10K GS works with buff IV, but defenitely not with buff I(1).
    When you last time saw buff IV? 0-I and sometimes II
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    LOL, I am a GWF.... and you CAN stand near the clerics... as long as you have aggro on the mob!!!

So if you have aggro, then move them over to the side
  • Options
    bjanubjanu Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    simple is simple if using zerg tactics in the first tiamat emerging green head is not defeated there is no hope for the raid - low gs inexperienced players don't know that so they will stay and fight, while experienced players will go afk due to the fact that the critical max of emergings is 4, in zerg you need 1 to finish all the heads, so at max you need to kill more then one head per round. And again 4 rounds is critical max i have seen like 1 or 2 of those in my 50 runs. So you usually have to kill ~2,3 heads per round to be successful in zerg and that is if you don't kill any of heads by accident which often happens with inexperienced players. So if people see that not a single head was killed they will leave as parties like these usually have as much of a problem defending the clerics as killing the heads. I personally also leave these instances the rewards for failing are not worth the time consumed in trying to finish a lost raid.
  • Options
    cascadezcascadez Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've been playing about 3 months now and coming from an old hard core raiding WoW guild...I kinda like the mess and confusion in the randomly made raids. It is frustrating when you kill the last head, stand around and watch as the phase starts again or the raid kills a head and it never respawns...and of course you loose...everyone needs to submit bug report every time.

But pretty much, you can see how the event will go if you can't get appreciable damage on the red dragon the first time around. After that, the players start just hanging in the entry room.

Not sure what to do with AFKs.

a GS of 12k to 13k seems more applicable and at the rate of getting gear from the 5 dragon monty rotation, it shouldn't be hard.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well, I'm glad this discussion has started. I've learned a few things about why the instance empties from both ends, lowbies and deific-powered 24k gs alike. I think one solution might be to split Tiamat, like the Shores of Tuern skirimish, into regular and epic runs with a 13-15k gs minimum for the epic and significant differences in the rewards. Carry on!
  • Options
    ablettoabletto Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2014
    YES, seeing a 10K-12K toon with no enchantment in there is frustrating... but people like me were in there too... AND not to mention the high GS people that left or stood... We could have carried the weaker for the win for us... but nope!!!

I see this happen pretty often. Sometimes it's obvious if you can barely take down green in the first round there's just no hope. Other times, however, I see 5-10 14k's+ going AFK at 5 min despite the fact that all 5 heads are at ~5-10%. We get down 3 and lose because everyone decided it wasn't going to happen when clearly it could have.
    The solution of which would require the collective action of; A.) 10-12ks stay in Sharandar. B.) Don't give up when you're close even if 5-6 min left AT LEAST GIVE IT A SHOT.

Maybe just a limit on GS would be effective in dissuading nub wads from greedy grubbing a free win.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    [QUOTE= A.) 10-12ks stay in Sharandar[/QUOTE]

THIS.

There is a logical progression to post-60 advancement that lots of players seem to miss: Maybe one should not jump into the deep end first, but rather, hone one's skills and better one's equipment against enemies better matched to one's skill and equipment levels? IWD at least has boon requirements; shouldn't ol' Elminster expect even more from the heroes he summons to that little issue at the Well of Dragons?
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I agree about the AFKing - needs a penalty, like a kick from the game after 60 seconds, allowing another person to enter the instance in place of the AFKer.

However, 15k GS is a bit high. There are more than capable people with 12k GS that can contribute. A smart gear build at 12k GS means a lot more than a GS-focused build at 15k GS. I think a 12k GS limit is fine.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    bjanubjanu Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2014
    THIS.

There is a logical progression to post-60 advancement that lots of players seem to miss: Maybe one should not jump into the deep end first, but rather, hone one's skills and better one's equipment against enemies better matched to one's skill and equipment levels? IWD at least has boon requirements; shouldn't ol' Elminster expect even more from the heroes he summons to that little issue at the Well of Dragons?

In one way yes - people should prepare for what they are going to face, on the other - if you come overprepared there is no challenge. However in this case zerg tactics is not a challenge but just a predetermined win or lose based on the combination of toons that are inside, with added lose rate caused by psychological reasons, lack of knowledge, bugs and other technical problems. Therefore as its not challenging to begin with people should overprepare.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Anyway I have afk'd myself when I know for certain it's not going to work out (not that many). No point in wasting my time, especially since I can't play with guildies or friends.

Liar, u dont want to play with me anyway. :/

• Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited December 2014

After many rounds with the old girl I have come to believe there should be a GS floor for entry

They could handle like the SoT skirmish

I wish they would give it some thought

But

The biggest problem I see is folks just quitting

Never quit, never surrender

Urlord
  • Options
    arokillarokill Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I hate quitters. One shouldn't join into a group fight with others unless they plan to give it all they got, even if they die valiantly and lose the round. I'd rather fight beside a low GS that is giving it every effort in spite of the odds than to watch some whiner in the group complain about low GS people and choose not to help anyway.
    We need to find a way to expel those girl scouts that you see at the the campfire stroking their perfect vorpals because they have decided for everyone else on the run that there is no hope in winning and think it's a waste of time to fight.
    What about practice? What about turning it into an opportunity to teach others some tricks? My God what has happened to chivalry? Honor? Respect for others?
    Quitters never win and winners never quit. That is my thought on the matter.

Arokil

~Sanctuary~